Town, Plymouth, Wednesday & Barnsley run ins …. Week by week

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Town, Plymouth, Wednesday & Barnsley run ins …. Week by week

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:57 pm

18 Mar H PLYMOUTH (W1) 2 V 0 Forest Green Rovers 3pm W
18 Mar H IPSWICH(W1) 2 V 0 Shrewsbury Town 3pm

21 Mar A Accrington Stanley 0 v 2 PLYMOUTH (W2) 7.45pm
21 H Mar A BARNSLEY (W1) 4 v 2 SHEFFIELD (L1) 8pm

26 Mar A Forest Green 1 v 0 SHEFFIELD (L2) 1pm

28 Mar A Exeter 3 v 1 BARNSLEY (L1) 8pm

29 Mar A Cheltenham 2 v 2 SHEFFIELD (D1) 7.45pm

1 Apr A Derby County 0 v 2 IPSWICH (W2) 3pm
1 Apr H BARNSLEY (W2) 5 v 0 Morecambe 3pm
1 Apr H SHEFFIELD (D2) 1 v 1 Lincoln 3pm

2 Apr A Bolton Wanderers 4 v 0 PLYMOUTH (L1) 3pm - PIZZA CUP

7 Apr A Morecambe 1 v 3 PLYMOUTH (W3) 3pm
7 Apr H IPSWICH (W3) 4 v 0 Wycombe Wanderers 3pm
7 Apr A Burton 2 v 1 BARNSLEY(L2) 3pm
7 Apr A Oxford 1 v 1 SHEFFIELD (D3) 3pm

10 Apr H PLYMOUTH (L2) 0 v 2 Lincoln City3pm
10 Apr A Cheltenham Town 1 v 1 IPSWICH (D1) 3pm
10 Apr H BARNSLEY (W3) 2 v 1 Shrewsbury 3pm
10 Apr H SHEFFIELD (W1) 3 v 0 Accrington 3pm

15 Apr A Exeter City 0 v 1 PLYMOUTH (W4) 12pm
15 Apr H IPSWICH (W4) 6 v 0 Charlton Athletic 3pm
15 Apr A Forest Green 1 v 5 BARNSLEY (W4) 3pm
15 Apr A Burton 3 v 2 SHEFFIELD (L3) 3pm

18 Apr A Shrewsbury 1 v 2 PLYMOUTH (W5) 7.45pm
18 Apr H IPSWICH (W5) 2 v 1 Port Vale 7.45pm
18 Apr A Lincoln 0 v 0 BARNSLEY (D1) 7.45pm
18 Apr A Bristol 1 v 2 SHEFFIELD (W2) 7.45pm

22 Apr H PLYMOUTH (W6) 3 v 1 Cambridge United 3pm
22 Apr A Peterborough United 0 v 3 IPSWICH (W6) 3pm
22 Apr H BARNSLEY (W5) 2 v 0 Oxford 3pm
22 Apr H SHEFFIELD (W3) 2 v 1 Exeter 3pm

25 Apr H PLYMOUTH v Bristol Rovers 7.45pm
25 Apr A BARNSLEY v IPSWICH7.45pm

29 Apr H PLYMOUTH v Burton Albion 3pm
29 Apr H Exeter City v IPSWICH 3pm
29 Apr A MK Dons v BARNSLEY 3pm
29 Apr A Shrewsbury v SHEFFIELD 3pm

7 May A Port Vale v PLYMOUTH 12pm
7 May A Fleetwood v IPSWICH 12pm
7 May H BARNSLEY v. Peterborough 12pm
7 May H SHEFFIELD v Derby 12pm

For us to have any chance of overhauling them I think they will need to lose one or two of their away games ( I’m pinning my hopes on Shrews and Exeter away), as I can’t see them slipping up at home now. Meanwhile we can’t afford any slip ups. A tall order unfortunately. But we’ll see …
Last edited by hallamblue on Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Town vs Plymouth run ins …. Week by week

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:15 pm

Think Plymouth deserve the 2nd spot, Hallam......, especially with them being in 2 places at once on May 7th. That will be impressive! :lol:

Joking aside....., April 7th will be a big weekend....., them at Morecambe, (got to win that)....., and Ipswich in a proper banana skin at home to Wycombe.

Today is huge though. Must take care of Shrewsbury. It is not a gimme by any means.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:26 pm

Plymouth appear that jammy they probably will be in 2 places at the end of the season , hedging their bets so to speak lol :mrgreen:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:47 pm

I’m not sure why you’re only focusing on Plymouth and don’t see it as a three horse race ?

If Sheffield Wednesday drop points at Barnsley on Tuesday Night they’re back in the mix especially with 6 away games and a final day fixture v Derby who may well be playing to secure a place in the Play Offs.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:52 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:47 pm
I’m not sure why you’re only focusing on Plymouth and don’t see it as a three horse race ?

If Sheffield Wednesday drop points at Barnsley on Tuesday Night they’re back in the mix especially with 6 away games and a final day fixture v Derby who may well be playing to secure a place in the Play Offs.
I'm not sure why you're not focusing on Barnsley and don't see it as a four horse race ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:08 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:52 pm
Charnwood wrote:

I'm not sure why you're not focusing on Barnsley and don't see it as a four horse race ?
I’m not sure if your question is aimed at Liz or myself CB but at this moment Indeed I do see Barnsley included in the race for promotion which is why I added their fixtures in the “April Fixtures thread” also started by Hallam, I think she just likes to spread the discussion to add confusion. I guess the slight difference with Barnsley is that they’re still behind us with games in hand which count for nothing compared with points in the bag. Let’s focus on catching the leaders up first and worry about the ones behind us later. How much we need to worry about Barnsley will become clearer about 10pm Tuesday night after their game v Sheffield Wednesday has finished. Without doing the maths I’m not sure exactly what result suits us best.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:27 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:08 pm
Tangfastic wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:52 pm
Charnwood wrote:

I’m not sure if your question is aimed at Liz or myself CB but at this moment Indeed I do see Barnsley included in the race for promotion which is why I added their fixtures in the “April Fixtures thread” also started by Hallam, I think she just likes to spread the discussion to add confusion. I guess the slight difference with Barnsley is that they’re still behind us with games in hand which count for nothing compared with points in the bag. Let’s focus on catching the leaders up first and worry about the ones behind us later. How much we need to worry about Barnsley will become clearer about 10pm Tuesday night after their game v Sheffield Wednesday has finished. Without doing the maths I’m not sure exactly what result suits us best.
I'm terrible confused. We need another thread to straighten this out. Town v Barnsley run-ins, Hallam?

It might become clearer at 5pm GMT tonight if we lose today. Why have we assumed that Plymouth and Sheff Wed will/might drop points.... and not us?

TBH.... Every team will drop points, but if Sheff Wed drop points - even on Tuesday - they've got a few more bites at the cherry to get over the line.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:45 pm

Tbh this race for a top two place is changing by the week now. But it would be fair to say it’s a four horse race. But for most of the season it’s been between us and Plymouth . Then SW put in their run, and leapfrogged the pair of us….now that appears to be changing. It’s going down to the wire I think. Which is why I didn’t want t(e game postponed between us and Barnsley, because we can’t afford to lose our current momentum. But it’s not to be , and we now have two weeks kick8mg our heels. I think personally it will affect us , because we are very much the form side right now, with Barnsley just behind that (well that’s how it feels). Plymouth will get a big psychological boost from playing and gaining points on us whilst we kick our heels, and making that gap between us bigger. Games in hand don’t equal points in the bag. I think psychology and mind set will play as bigger part in who gets a top two place, as will who has the best squad. But it’s going down to the final game of the season.

Tang, I didn’t create the Plymouth / Town run in , I nicked it off TWTD poster. But I agree with you it’s most definitely
Got to include Barnsley now.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:13 pm

Edit. I’ve amended that initial post re the run in fixture list to include all potential four candidates for promotion via top two slots . ….Town, Barnsley, Plymouth , Sheff Wed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:23 am

I noticed yesterday that Forest Green restricted Plymouth to Two shots on goal and both bloody went in.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:34 am

That’s what I meant yesterday when I said they’re a jammy bunch of gits!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:11 pm

Plymouth 1 up at Accrington and in complete control. ☹️

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:13 pm

Barnsley 2 up

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:14 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:13 pm
Barnsley 2 up
Norwood!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:15 pm

Come on you Owd Reds!!!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:34 pm

It looks like we have two threads running again with the same discussion !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:41 pm

If we could guarantee winning at Barnsley we could do with The Tykes winning tonight and Stanley at least getting a draw with Plymouth but that maybe too much to expect.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:43 pm

Worst case scenario. Plymouth and Wednesday both win. 🤞

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:11 pm

Plymouth well in control and Stanley down to 10 men. Not looking good from our perspective.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:26 pm

Bugger

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:38 pm

YEEESSSSS 2-2 👍👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:40 pm

0-2 to Plymouth in added time, game set and match.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:33 pm

Unanimous predictions from the panel on the Sky Sports EFL programme tonight after the Barnsley v Wednesday game when pressed for their predictions for the automatic promotion places.

Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich it was for the Top 2 places, let’s hope they have it right.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:31 pm

They’ve clearly more faith in our ability to win these final 9 games than I do lol !!! :lol: Because win them we must do .

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:35 pm

It’s highly unlikely any of the 4 teams chasing the two automatic places will win all their games Liz, it most likely just won’t happen. Who would have thought Arsenal would lose to Everton or Bournemouth would beat Liverpool. Sheffield Wednesday have now dropped 4 points in their past two games and Plymouth list two of their last six games yet some on here seem to expect only Town to drop points on the final run in which is bizarre. Actually if you look at our squad and current form we are probably the strongest and best equipped to deal with the pressures of the run in. Yes Barnsley’s current form looks good but no better than ours and their team is a collection of young freebies and loan signings so why should we assume we can’t win that game.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:53 pm

FGR have just beaten Wednesday! Bet nobody predicted that one? That's really opened it up, causing the Owls a few jitters?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:59 pm

As I’ve been trying to get over to the doubters, it’s the surprise results that will decide on who gets promotion and it can happen to anyone. You can now add Sheffield Wednesday to Arsenal and Liverpool to be beaten by a relegation candidate at the opposite end of the table. Who now believes The Owls are automatic promotion candidates having dropped 8 points from 9 in their last three games.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:08 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:35 pm
It’s highly unlikely any of the 4 teams chasing the two automatic places will win all their games Liz, it most likely just won’t happen. Who would have thought Arsenal would lose to Everton or Bournemouth would beat Liverpool. Sheffield Wednesday have now dropped 4 points in their past two games and Plymouth list two of their last six games yet some on here seem to expect only Town to drop points on the final run in which is bizarre. Actually if you look at our squad and current form we are probably the strongest and best equipped to deal with the pressures of the run in. Yes Barnsley’s current form looks good but no better than ours and their team is a collection of young freebies and loan signings so why should we assume we can’t win that game.
All very true Andy. I think it comes down to who can hold their sh it together best and maintain their firm best. You could ( based on current form) almost totally flip that top 4 and that’s ve how the season finishes …. How bloody funny would that be, because I think the Wednesday and Plymouth fans have cocky for most of the season. I’d love to shove it didn’t their throats . Just need Exeter to do us a favour now 🤞🤞

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:10 pm

Dafter things have happened in the past than Ipswich and Barnsley taking the two automatic promotion places and whoever finishes 6th winning the play offs.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Town, Plymouth, Wednesday & Barnsley run ins …. Week by week

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:37 pm

Exeter City could do us a big favour tonight. Their home form isn’t bad and a draw isn’t beyond them although I’m sure Barnsley will be favourites to take all three points. But so were Wednesday at Forest Green on Sunday.