Barnsley v Sheffield Wednesday

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

shabba

Re: Barnsley v Sheffield Wednesday

Post by shabba » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:56 am

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:28 am
shabba wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:36 pm
Ricco wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:29 pm
I would have rather seen Wednesday win. Yes they've had a small hiccup, but they're better than Plymouth and I think they're already up, bookies agree. In my opinion we're fighting for 2nd with Plymouth and Barnsley now. Had Barnsley lost, we could lose to them and still go up if Plymouth falter, now we have to win or very least draw.

We're more likely to be pipped by Barnsley to second than Wednesday to drop below us and Plymouth (in my opinion, and the bookies).

Team need to focus on themselves though, keep this form going and we're promoted, we can't control others unless we focus on games against them, but Town should be 100% every game at this point anyway.
I totally agree with this. Coming away from that Barnsley fixture with any points looks a challenge. I know we have been very good of late but Bolton aside we haven’t had any real tests.

I don’t know how many of you watched the Barnsley v Wednesday game last night but Barnsley certainly didn’t look unbeatable to me. They rode their luck and Wednesday missed a hatful of good chances to have put the game out of Barnsley’s reach after drawing level at 2-2.
The Tykes won that through sheer youthful excitement and inexperience with a bunch of loanee’s and freebies. If we take our chances there is absolutely no reason why they can’t be beaten. There also seems to be an assumption that Town are the only one of the Top 4 likely to drop points in the run in and that simply won’t be the case. Wednesday have now dropped 4 points from a possible 6 in their last two games and Plymouth lost two of their last 6 games. Wednesday also have only 4 of their final 10 games at home.
It’s highly unlikely any of the 4 teams chasing the two automatic places will win all their games, it just won’t happen yet some on here seem to expect only Town to drop points on the final run in which is bizarre. Actually if you look at our squad and current form we are probably the strongest and best equipped team to deal with the pressures of the run in. Yes Barnsley’s current form looks good but it’s no better than ours and their team is a collection of young freebies and loan signings with an average age of 23 and a total spend of £20k on new players so why don’t we think we’re not capable of winning against them.
I bet Plymouth, Wednesday and Barnsley fans don’t expect failure in the same way our fans do at Ipswich yet on my opinion we have probably the most experienced squad of players of the 4 top teams yet the most negative fans the lowest expectation.
Ok, at the end of the day we might not make it but for Christ sake start believing in the team.
Great insight, and you make some very valid points.
My main thought has been that Weds and Barnsley’s fork over the last 15 games has been vastly better than ours, I do believe we are in a great place and I guess it’s self protection to not believe as much as you’d want.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:46 pm

I think its down to years of garbage and wanting it this season so badly that a lot of Town fans just can't believe it may well happen, perfectly understandable, but.......
GET A GRIP AND BELIEVE :lol: :lol: :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:06 am

shabba wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:56 am
Charnwood wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:28 am
shabba wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:36 pm

I totally agree with this. Coming away from that Barnsley fixture with any points looks a challenge. I know we have been very good of late but Bolton aside we haven’t had any real tests.

I don’t know how many of you watched the Barnsley v Wednesday game last night but Barnsley certainly didn’t look unbeatable to me. They rode their luck and Wednesday missed a hatful of good chances to have put the game out of Barnsley’s reach after drawing level at 2-2.
The Tykes won that through sheer youthful excitement and inexperience with a bunch of loanee’s and freebies. If we take our chances there is absolutely no reason why they can’t be beaten. There also seems to be an assumption that Town are the only one of the Top 4 likely to drop points in the run in and that simply won’t be the case. Wednesday have now dropped 4 points from a possible 6 in their last two games and Plymouth lost two of their last 6 games. Wednesday also have only 4 of their final 10 games at home.
It’s highly unlikely any of the 4 teams chasing the two automatic places will win all their games, it just won’t happen yet some on here seem to expect only Town to drop points on the final run in which is bizarre. Actually if you look at our squad and current form we are probably the strongest and best equipped team to deal with the pressures of the run in. Yes Barnsley’s current form looks good but it’s no better than ours and their team is a collection of young freebies and loan signings with an average age of 23 and a total spend of £20k on new players so why don’t we think we’re not capable of winning against them.
I bet Plymouth, Wednesday and Barnsley fans don’t expect failure in the same way our fans do at Ipswich yet on my opinion we have probably the most experienced squad of players of the 4 top teams yet the most negative fans the lowest expectation.
Ok, at the end of the day we might not make it but for Christ sake start believing in the team.
Great insight, and you make some very valid points.
My main thought has been that Weds and Barnsley’s fork over the last 15 games has been vastly better than ours, I do believe we are in a great place and I guess it’s self protection to not believe as much as you’d want.
The problem with using form data is that we can each use whichever period supports the point we’re trying to make and that’s the same with any numbers. To support my own argument it’s difficult to oppose the fact that the most recent form is the most relevant especially if there are any significant changes.