Sheffield Wednesday lose again

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Sheffield Wednesday lose again

Post by trimleyblue » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:59 pm

To FGR. This title chase is still wide open.

Dazzz67

Re: Sheffield Wednesday lose again

Post by Dazzz67 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:08 pm

The top 2 spots are anybodies, for FGR to win is massive, I'd like to see them stay up but let's see. If was Sheff Wed's fans I'd be getting twitchy, they have lost a lot of ground when they could of all but confirmed their promotion.

Just hope we keep on winning as we could go up as Champs!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:29 pm

And everybody was saying they are up and can't see them slipping up lmao, well that's One point from Nine, they could even miss out. That's their games in hand gone, but only Town are gonna slip up apparently. Keep believing

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:33 pm

:shock: I had to rub my eyes to see if the result was correct :D It's brilliant news it just needs Plymouth to have a wobble or two and us to maintain our current form of wins and clean sheets and we just might win promotion as champions

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:33 pm

I really like and in our favour is the goal difference. It could go down the goal difference.. Come on Town you can still do this

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:39 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:29 pm
And everybody was saying they are up and can't see them slipping up lmao, well that's One point from Nine, they could even miss out. That's their games in hand gone, but only Town are gonna slip up apparently. Keep believing
Not me…… HibsOwl, my good buddy has been telling me for years that Wednesday are serial bottlers.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:39 pm

Like I’ve said before and what we learn from the Prediction League every week it’s the most unlikely games where teams come unstuck. Like Arsenal losing to Everton, Liverpool losing to Bournemouth and then thrashing Manchester United 7-0.

Whatever we think what actually happens will be very different and probably unexpected. Todays surprise won’t be the last let’s just hope and pray we’re not involved on the wrong side of any.

I think our coming into form couldn’t have come at a better time and what’s really worrying for Wednesday is that they’ve now dropped 8 from 9 points in their last 3 games after a run of 23 games undefeated.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:40 pm

Great result for us, I'm just back from a holiday what a nice surprise 😮 COYB.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:43 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:39 pm
Like I’ve said before and what we learn from the Prediction League every week it’s the most unlikely games where teams come unstuck. Like Arsenal losing to Everton, Liverpool losing to Bournemouth and then thrashing Manchester United 7-0.

Whatever we think what actually happens will be very different and probably unexpected. Todays surprise won’t be the last let’s just hope and pray we’re not involved on the wrong side of any.

I think our coming into form couldn’t have come at a better time and what’s really worrying for Wednesday is that they’ve now dropped 8 from 9 points in their last 3 games after a run of 23 games undefeated.
isn't it a sign of a good team to bounce back from a loss. I believe each time Ipswich loss this season the next game they won. Wednesday has you pointed out haven't so lets hope they carry on with this form

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
And everybody was saying they are up and can't see them slipping up lmao
Yeah I'm sure you saw that result coming!

Until 10 days ago they had gone more than 5 months without a loss, it's not mad to assume they should see off FGR.

My Wednesday friend who had the pleasure of watching it live said FGR could and perhaps should have won 3-0. Football is a funny old game, but anyone who says they expected something like that is even more deluded than those who'd say they'd never expect it.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:23 pm

Pinch me I'm Dreaming. That's a great result for us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:23 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:21 pm
Bluemike wrote:
And everybody was saying they are up and can't see them slipping up lmao
Yeah I'm sure you saw that result coming!

Until 10 days ago they had gone more than 5 months without a loss, it's not mad to assume they should see off FGR.

My Wednesday friend who had the pleasure of watching it live said FGR could and perhaps should have won 3-0. Football is a funny old game, but anyone who says they expected something like that is even more deluded than those who'd say they'd never expect it.
I didn't see them losing that one obviously but all the crap about them being virtually home and dry was just that, crap.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:27 pm

It could get even worse for them Wednesday night when the travel to Cheltenham one of the current form teams sitting third behind Ipswich and Barnsley having picked up 11 points from 12 over their last 4 games including a 0-3 away win at Peterborough only 2 week ago.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:54 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:23 pm
I didn't see them losing that one obviously but all the crap about them being virtually home and dry was just that, crap.
I had nearly written Wednesday off, or at least saw Barnsley and Plymouth as our more likely rivals for a promotion spot. Wednesday have brought themselves back in to the fray with that result though, proper 4 team scrap now and it's close enough that whichever two form teams from now will be up.

If all games in hand are won, then we would effectively have:

Wednesday 81
Plymouth 80
Ipswich 78
Barnsley 78

Pretty tasty.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:04 pm

Out of those four clubs us and Barnsley are the form sides …. The psychology of hunter vs hunted shouldnt be underestimated. It’s who’s going to hold their nerve ( and form) that will get promoted. Just wish our run in wasnt the hardest of the four.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:54 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:04 pm
Out of those four clubs us and Barnsley are the form sides …. The psychology of hunter vs hunted shouldnt be underestimated. It’s who’s going to hold their nerve ( and form) that will get promoted. Just wish our run in wasnt the hardest of the four.
FGR have proved today that easier ones on paper can be a slip up waiting to happen.
At least the harder ones are not going to sit and counter attack .
End to end football like away to Bolton Town can hold their own.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:17 pm

What a nice, unexpected surprise. Is the end of the season the worst time to be playing teams in a relegation battle?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:54 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:17 pm
What a nice, unexpected surprise. Is the end of the season the worst time to be playing teams in a relegation battle?
Always !

The best teams to play are those with nothing to play for. No play off place in sight and no fear of relegation.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:52 pm

Actually it doesn't quite work that way. Been involved in enough examples of it.

SWFC now lost two games in succession if correct. Kind of surprised by that, thought they were a little more robust than to blow out in successive fixtures but seems no team's immune fron pissing their pants at the most cruicial times and moments.

That Barnsley game today also. Exeter of all thngs and a 1 - 3 defeat, it goes against league logic but as before it's all about who holds their nerve best out of all possible candidates and contenders. SWFC play tomorrow with Cheltenham, hell they got enough games just recent.

If they were to lose that and we win over Derby this weekend we should go into second position by virtue of goal difference. It's all going to plan for the team right now.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:57 am

Actually AP you seem to be proving my point. Wednesdays two list games one wax to Barnsley chasing promotion and the other to Forest Green fighting against relegation. Meanwhile Barnsley’s defeat last night was at Exeter who with a good run in can still make the play offs.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:10 pm

All in all it just proves that no team is invincible, and this weekend is all the more dangerous now, KM will do his work and the lads will need to dig deep to win as Derby will be no mugs and they will be up to beat us and I suspect get at the midfield pairing maybe as they are key. I am hoping we stick to the settled team and do the job, get a early goal.

All we need now is Plymouth to fold and fingers crossed we take our chances to nab one of those top two places.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:12 pm

A big game tonight for Wednesday first at in form Cheltenham who will be less worried about Wednesday than vice versa especially after recent results.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:50 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:12 pm
A big game tonight for Wednesday first at in form Cheltenham who will be less worried about Wednesday than vice versa especially after recent results.
If it does not stop raining this might not finish.

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:40 pm

Finished 2-2

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:16 pm

I hope you don’t mind Trimley but I’ve locked this thread so we can have the “Run In” discussion contained within one thread..

”Town, Plymouth, Wednesday & Barnsley run ins …. Week by week”