League 1 - Derby FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Right time to play Derby?

Derby Win
10%
Ipswich Win
62%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 21

Steve

Re: League 1 - Derby FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Steve » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:03 pm

Its in our hands now, great position to be in

Come on Ipswich, fantastic game and have to say, surely nobody can doubt just how good Kieran McKenna is

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:04 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:59 pm
We were looking almost dead & buried for the autos.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:07 pm

What a great result today and another clean sheet.
Hirst now finding that scoring touch .
We can do this ...

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:12 pm

A simply superb performance, just when we needed it. Lots if our old taboo's overcome (ie not winning when we need to, not beating top 6 sides, old players (ie mcgoldrick scoring against us) - this is a very different Ipswich.... at long, long last... COYB's - we can do this! Lets dare to dream... enjoy your saturday evenings! 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:16 pm

7 straight wins for town and no wins in 5 for Wednesday. Who would have expected that, and another clean sheet too.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:27 pm

Restricting Derby to just 2 shots on target is good going. A lot has been said how we concede the fewest chances on goal in League 1, finally the defensive unit seem to be living up to that billing.

This EADT update in the 87th minute sums the team's determination up perfectly;

"Chaplin races back and makes a fine lunging tackle. Town players want this eighth consecutive clean sheet."

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:36 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:16 pm
Just watched the disallowed goal half a dozen times and can’t see any reason why it was ruled out, we were so lucky and makes up for one of the bad decisions against us earlier in the season.
Mcgoldrick offside and interfering with play.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:38 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:36 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:16 pm
Just watched the disallowed goal half a dozen times and can’t see any reason why it was ruled out, we were so lucky and makes up for one of the bad decisions against us earlier in the season.
Mcgoldrick offside and interfering with play.
That’s how I saw it. He flicked a foot at it but don’t think he touched it.
Great performance today. Thoroughly deserved win.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:40 pm

What a away day. Best I’ve been to in years, great support and a superb performance by the team. Played some great football at times and when needed also put the hard graft in. Never seen McKenna celebrate a victory so much with the fans after the final whistle.
Dare we believe? COYB!!!

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:48 pm

Great result,keeps the pressure on the top 2 :D

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:08 pm

What a result that is, back in our own hands now, going to be an interesting month with highs and lows, but what a position to be in. Up the town

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:32 pm

I'm just envisaging Mike finding out the score in the passport line about now, celebrating and being quickly apprehended and questioned...

It's great stuff, the bookies now make Town favourites for promotion and to win the league and who would argue? Devastating form, long may it continue!

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:54 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:45 pm
Cabanas Blue wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:42 pm
Thank goodness Freddie is on I've always said the Hirst is useless 🤔🤐
Great attendance guess BTW Cabanas 👍
That was lucky I've just seen it only 41 out, I had to go out as soon as the game was over, I need the points.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:00 pm

Fantastic result, had to turn my bloody phone off just as We made 2 then had to wait 4 hours to confirm we saw it out, today is massive as we have destiny in our own hands again and Wednesday are bottling it big time.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:07 pm

7 straight wins for town and no wins in 5 for Wednesday. Who would have expected that.

That’s 12 points made up over Wednesday over the last 5 games, and 8 consecutive clean sheets.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:10 pm

🎶🎶…. ON OUR WAAAAAAY …..
ON OUR WAY…..
TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP….
WERE ON OUR WAY….. 🎶🎶

C’MAaaaaaaaarn ewe Blues 🥳🥳🎉🍾🥳🥳

Bloody awesome result . And it was the correct decision to rule their goal out . Walton was clearly impeded by McGoldrick. He did it the whole second half whenever they had a corner .

When we played our game, and our scintillating pace, they couldn’t live with us!

C’mon Town let’s bloody go for this

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:23 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:10 pm
🎶🎶…. ON OUR WAAAAAAY …..
ON OUR WAY…..
TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP….
WERE ON OUR WAY….. 🎶🎶

C’MAaaaaaaaarn ewe Blues 🥳🥳🎉🍾🥳🥳

Bloody awesome result . And it was the correct decision to rule their goal out . Walton was clearly impeded by McGoldrick. He did it the whole second half whenever they had a corner .

When we played our game, and our scintillating pace, they couldn’t live with us!

C’mon Town let’s bloody go for this
I didn’t see it at the time but just watched the highlights. Was surprised at the time but I think the ref got it right.
First 20 minutes we were unstoppable.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:28 pm

The only sore point was a Barnsley comprehensive win. They're going to be a damn problem in the weeks ahead and not looking forward to when we play them when the time arises. SWFC really f**king things up, not sure what's gone wrong at their end but guess we'll take any misfortune that comes their way. Norwich lose also, hurts their play-off objective. All said not a bad run of scores today other than the Tykes victory already stated.

McGoldrick should have scored / had a goal ruled out for something and the opposition created other chances but we held out. On another day or occasion they might have taken something in front of their own fanbase. They may not make the play-offs, guess fans there will view it as a colossal disappointment such as the stature or expectation of their club name. You haven't been good enough period. Like it don't like it that's the way it is.

Not sure why Plymouth didn't see action today ? but we're two points from the league summit if correct and the momentum right now, you got to believe all things are possible. Can't wait to get out this lousy league, hell knows if we fail some just won't comprehend the situation.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:59 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:28 pm
The only sore point was a Barnsley comprehensive win. They're going to be a damn problem in the weeks ahead and not looking forward to when we play them when the time arises. SWFC really f**king things up, not sure what's gone wrong at their end but guess we'll take any misfortune that comes their way. Norwich lose also, hurts their play-off objective. All said not a bad run of scores today other than the Tykes victory already stated.

McGoldrick should have scored / had a goal ruled out for something and the opposition created other chances but we held out. On another day or occasion they might have taken something in front of their own fanbase. They may not make the play-offs, guess fans there will view it as a colossal disappointment such as the stature or expectation of their club name. You haven't been good enough period. Like it don't like it that's the way it is.

Not sure why Plymouth didn't see action today ? but we're two points from the league summit if correct and the momentum right now, you got to believe all things are possible. Can't wait to get out this lousy league, hell knows if we fail some just won't comprehend the situation.

Plymouth play Bolton in the EFL Trophy Final at Wembley tomorrow!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:41 pm

Ooooo I thought that was a league 1 game. I thought tough game for Plymouth, could really pile the pressure on the top two if they struggle in that one :lol:

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:37 am

Lets hope they get stuck in and get a few injuries....

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:47 am

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:37 am
Lets hope they get stuck in and get a few injuries....
I hope Plymouth win the Cup and then drop points in the league without injuries, Broadhead was injured yesterday and as we know Davis is also out that's not good.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:50 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:16 pm
7 straight wins for town and no wins in 5 for Wednesday. Who would have expected that, and another clean sheet too.
I was quietly expecting this all along… x

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:06 am

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:08 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:50 am
Charnwood wrote:

If only Liz, you’d have enjoyed it so much more x

Remember this which I wrote in February 6 days after we’d drawn 0-0 midweek at Bristol Rovers and you thought I was crazy 😜

Automatic Promotion doesn’t have to be over No 9. Sheff Wed and Plymouth will most likely drop circa 20 points between now and the end of the season maybe more in the final run in when the pressure kicks in. You only have to look at the Premier League and see Arsenal losing to Everton or Man City dropping points to Forest to see that even the best can falter. That’s why almost every season there’s a surprise waiting in the wings from a club without pressure putting in a late rally. If we could win 10 of our 14 remaining games and lose 4 we could still be in with a shout. It just means we have to stop drawing games and with 12 to our name so far we have enough of those already.

Looking at our remaining fixtures we could lose at Bolton, Derby, Barnsley and Peterborough and win the rest. Maybe unlikely but not impossible as long as we don’t have a repeat of the performance at Bristol Rovers. If we could deliver as I suggest we’d end the season with 90 points. I wonder how long the dream can last. Hopefully beyond Saturday!

Don’t give up till the fat lady sings.

You and a few others thought I was crazy and whilst I appreciate the job is still far from done at least we’re on our way and giving it a go. We’ve also won at Bolton and Derby so you can make that 96 points now which may be needed.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:44 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:50 am
Charnwood wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: : Not. 🫣

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:45 am

Yep touche...I never would have guessed our form would take such a drastic turn for the better. It just goes to show what consistency will bring, and no one would have bet on us getting so many clean sheets.

As far as KM not rotating as much, I think he's finally found the formula that works and there's no reason to tinker. I can't remember the last time Ladapo started, so thanks again MA for the acquisition of Broadhead and HIrst...and defensively, Clarke and Louongo.

I'm elated we beat Derby, and as I said in a previous post I now believe automatic is a realistic possibility. As far as Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday and Barnsley are concerned it's "GAME ON MUTHAS!!!".

Only positive ingredients in the pot today, Marko! :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:52 pm

The first goal from a different angle on Twitter. Just a lovely goal - real pace and Walton, Broadhead, Burns and Chaplin played their parts to perfection.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1642445513529196544

Goal of the season for us?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:03 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:52 pm
The first goal from a different angle on Twitter. Just a lovely goal - real pace and Walton, Broadhead, Burns and Chaplin played their parts to perfection.

Imo definitely goal of the season for us. Yes you can get spectacular goals but with that one yesterday everything had to be right in order for the goal to be scored. The ball from Broadhead to Burns was superb, the header from Burns to Chaplin was perfectly weighted and Chaplin finished it off as cool as you like. If it had been scored by a Premiership side Lineker and Co would have been going on about it for weeks.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:27 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:52 pm

As I posted yesterday that would be a Premier League Goal of The Month contender let alone League One. Definitely our best if the season so far for me. 👍