Champions League

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Champions League

Post by Charnwood » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:43 pm

I’d have preferred a Real v City Final but tbh I’ve not really got interested in watching any of the games this season.

To be honest I’m enjoying watching every Town game so much it goes a long way to fulfilling my footie needs especially if I watch the late EPL game too on a Sunday early evening.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:49 pm

If I were impartial I'd want Milan to win it. They got through the hard way and beat arguably one of Europe's best club sides in the last round. Haven't featured at semi-final stage since 2007 or something which is bizarre given a club of that stature. Inter are well off the pace in Serie A and it's two games at the same stadia for both. I'd expect Milanese to win the tie and get through.

Whoever wins from Madrid / City will win it outright, it's that simple. We got past them last year on route to winning it again and it were a real battle and a half over fixtures. Easy to forget there's a UEFA Cup or whatever they call it now underway also. Manchester United are the only British club name left in it, they got it all to do in Seville.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:31 pm

This guy will laser off the “11”…… ink in the “23”?

🤦‍♂️ He was only 12 years out. What a bellend.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:31 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:31 pm
This guy will laser off the “11”…… ink in the “23”?

🤦‍♂️ He was only 12 years out. What a bellend.

Will be a lot easier if they wait till 2041 🤣

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:53 pm

:lol: That’s an idea. 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:50 am

The two semi finals couldn’t be closer matched, the two Milan teams are neck and neck in the Italian Serie A League table and both currently in a bad run of domestic form each winning only one of their last six games. Meanwhile Man City & Real Madrid are probably two of the top teams in Europe and quite evenly matched. I expect the winner of the MC v RM game to win the Champions League but as we all know footie can always deliver the unexpected.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue May 09, 2023 9:58 pm

Well done, Man Shitty! It could have been a capitulation, but Pep’s boys stood strong. Grealish getting in a few battles haha, I thought he was a powder puff! Come on EPL, beat the Spaniards!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue May 09, 2023 10:03 pm

What a brilliant game of football at the Bernabéu Stadium Madrid tonight. In a game dominated for long periods by City it was Real Madrid who broke the deadlock with a blockbuster of a shot from Vinicius Junior completely against the run of play.
In the second half it was Real who turned the screw but City who scored the only goal through another excellent shot from Kevin DeBruyne. With the game ending 1-1 the tie is still finely balanced but marginally favouring City.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed May 10, 2023 10:11 pm

Wondering where the Saint is?? He must be enamored with the possibility of Italians in the final. Hoping ManShitty will prevail…perhaps Inter v MC final?! It’s what dreams are made of.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 10, 2023 10:30 pm

Inter have been crap domestically this season, says it all really.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed May 10, 2023 10:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 10:30 pm
Inter have been crap domestically this season, says it all really.
They’re 4th. I don’t think that’s a crap season

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu May 11, 2023 12:05 am

Two sh*t scores. Wanted AC to prevail and the other tie don't require elaboration. Inter seems were real value for the win, could have won by a bigger score but think both teams occupying the same venue and home / away applying for both, just loses a certain factor or interest.

Manchester City have bought their way to success. Whether they win it, either they don't, take a trip back to 1999 when history could have taken another turn if not for a penalty series in a Final play-off event. At the time Real were European Champions either side of it. It's a real shame sometimes the way sh*t becomes. You take away the finances, the revenue, ownership and investment etc and what have you got.

Maybe we won't win it this time but seen enough success and triumphs in recent years. Gets kind of banal almost. (It's) Bad enough (if that is the operative word) with Celts in the SPL.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue May 16, 2023 8:59 pm

Brilliant match one half to go!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed May 17, 2023 6:58 pm

Anyone watching ManShitty v UnReal Madrid?

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed May 17, 2023 9:38 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:58 pm
City have been immense! I think it must be hard for Real Madrid as they are used to bossing teams and not used to being starved of the ball. It’s been as dominant as you can get tonight - totally one sided.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed May 17, 2023 9:56 pm

shabba wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 9:38 pm
number 9 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:58 pm
City have been immense! I think it must be hard for Real Madrid as they are used to bossing teams and not used to being starved of the ball. It’s been as dominant as you can get tonight - totally one sided.
Yep! Great advertisement for the EPL. Inter are formidable opponents, but I don’t see any team stopping this juggernaut. Feel bad for Arsenal, don’t feel bad for RM and ManUtd should expect to be beat. It’s the blue side of Manchester now. Like it or not, Pep is getting his due rewards.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:36 am

Find myself agreeing with most of this
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ons-league

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:10 am

I couldn't agree more which is why I'll be watching the 1% club lol.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:53 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:36 am
Find myself agreeing with most of this
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ons-league
Well written article. I can't argue the game has changed, especially since our own halcyon days with Sir Bobby at the helm. However, I still believe competitiveness is achievable in the so called 'parade' environment of the Premier League. Does a team need significant financial backing in today's climate, sure. Teams also need good coaching and good players, and I believe that is still possible without Manchester City money. For example, Leicester City...although they are now falling like a brick in water...won the league without excessive investment.

A true football traditionalist may also want a return to heavy, leather footballs and lumpy, uneven pitches. A return to hoof-ball tactics and debilitating fouls much like 'Rugby' as Fabregas once described us. Personally, I have enjoyed watching the game progress over the years. I've actually experienced the challenge of 'Total Football' as a player at the amateur level. One could argue, Total Football is also an aspect of the modern game. In conclusion I do wonder how many of us would feel if ITFC ever became as rich as Manchester City. I'm pretty sure I would not stop supporting my team due to opulence and boredom. In fact, I can pretty much guarantee I'd be elated if we achieved the 'Treble'.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:16 pm

Final in Istanbul or something. Last time they had one out there it were great at half-time and a f**king nightmare by the end of it. Got another team involved don't particularly like but whatever goes down tonight any disappointment or loathing won't or can't be bad as years back.

At one time these events were something to behold. Years back you'd have Nottingham Forest and AVFC winning the damn thing by assembling fine teams and manager, now it's saturated in greed and a poor imitation of what used to be. Want Inter Milan to do it, can't be impartial. Other than that won't be tuning in or catching score updates as no real reason to.

If City win and maybe they will, they bought the f**king thing and nothing more. Chelsea done exact same in recent time. Teams such as were old second league not too far back pulling in 15,000 at Maine Road / Stamford Bridge respectively. Best chance of success were a Zenith Data Systems 'trophy' win or something.

It's bullshit but it's the way things have become. Best guess Inter take the title and leave it at it. They got to be the neutrals choice.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:05 pm

Almost impossible to takes your post serious AP especially when you consider how many times Real Madrid have purchased European Trophies over the years.

Unlike a number of you guys I realise that money alone doesn’t guarantee success, it takes so much more. I think Pep Guardiola has more to do with Man City’s success than the amount of money spent and if the later was the key to success neither Leeds United or Leicester City would be playing in next seasons Championship.

How Man City ripped Real Madrid apart in the 2nd leg of the semi final was nothing short of incredible and that was achieved by coaching, style and tactics.

I’ll most certainly be rooting for a history making night in Istanbul tonight and a convincing City win even if it does take them one European Trophy above Ipswich Town and in a few seasons time when Gamechanger have invested enough money to take Ipswich Town back to the Premier League I’ll still be supporting them with earnest but guess some of you with higher principles will no longer be interested and will be watching Ipswich Wanderers or Felixstowe Town.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:11 pm

Well the first half definitely proved that money alone doesn’t win trophy’s. Milan themselves chasing a Treble have a team assembled for not much more than City paid for Jack Grealish were so well disciplined and organised in the first half it’s so easy to see how they keep so many clean sheets.

This game is far from a foregone conclusion and can easily go either way. An intriguing game to watch and certainly not the one sided game some expected.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:35 pm

Fab goal from Rodri on 67 mins, only his 2nd ever Champions League goal but he’ll never score one more important. Inter will certainly need to push further forward which could open the door for a second. Hopefully this is now job done but don’t bet against Inter getting back in it.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:59 pm

Congratulations Manchester City FC and Pep!!! You deserve it!!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:00 pm

Yeeeeaaaaaa , CITY ARE CHAMPIONS 🥳🥳💙👍👍👍 ( I’ve got a friend who’s a die hard Msn City fan and has been all her life ( her dad was a Man City fan and he died a few months ago ) do this is for Sian snd her dad Dave 👍💙

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:00 pm

What a super experience for England national players! Foden, Grealish, Walker and Stones will benefit so much from being associated with this club. Sure big money has changed the game, but the consequences of that can also be positive.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:04 am

I can’t say it was a fabulous game but Champions League Finals rarely are and if hadn’t involved an English team I doubt I’d have bothered to watch it. To be honest I rarely find Italian football exciting but Inter Milan did what they had to do well and certainly made City work hard for their win.

I’m really pleased for Pep and the Man City team and will follow with interest to see if Newcastle United and Eddie Howe can do the same with their unlimited resources.

I also look forward to the day when Ipswich Town can compete at the highest level and given what Brighton achieved last season I haven’t completely given up on it yet, although doing it in my lifetime might just be a challenge too far.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:17 pm

Shocking display of euphoria by Man City fans. Think I have celebrated a 90th minute corner harder. West Ham United fans on Wednesday......., now THAT is how to celebrate. City must be the new Celtic FC --->> win a trophy then head home to put the kettle on. Jaysus H.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:08 pm

Sorry if it doesn't fit the general feel but for me, its ansordid club who have bought success and been funded by the most questionable money on the planet and I for one don't 'celebrate' it at all. Newcastle will be next on the Saudi money gravy train and it makes me feel queasy....🤢 everyone wants to play the woke card but these people hate women and want to buy up the planet - make no mistake... The true man city fans of 20+ years ago may celebrate but they know the reality. Boring prem, FA (sold your soul to the emirates) cup and champions league that cannot hold a candle to the old european cup... its shameful... sorry - will go away now... 😬

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:59 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:08 pm
Sorry if it doesn't fit the general feel but for me, its ansordid club who have bought success and been funded by the most questionable money on the planet and I for one don't 'celebrate' it at all. Newcastle will be next on the Saudi money gravy train and it makes me feel queasy....🤢 everyone wants to play the woke card but these people hate women and want to buy up the planet - make no mistake... The true man city fans of 20+ years ago may celebrate but they know the reality. Boring prem, FA (sold your soul to the emirates) cup and champions league that cannot hold a candle to the old european cup... its shameful... sorry - will go away now... 😬
Why go away, you are spot on and anyone with a moral compass would give you a clap
Don't apologise for calling it out