Ipswich Town tv

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Ipswich Town tv

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:57 pm

At half time on ifollow on Saturday when the presenter was apologising for the poor quality of some of the streaming during the first half, he made reference to the possibility of better tv coverage next season which suggested to me Town maybe thinking of launching their own Television Channel eg Ipswich Town TV.

It certainly prompted me on Saturday to watch the 2nd half on Charlton TV which was way superior coverage than ifollow. The only downside was replacing George Edmundson with Alan Curbishley and others in The Addicks studio, but even that was interesting at the end of the game when they were talking about how far ahead our quality of football is compared with theirs and most other League 1 teams.

Anyway, back to Town TV, Has anyone else read or heard anything about the prospect of this ?... It would certainly make sense especially if Portman Road is going to be a full house almost home game.

lucy

Re: Ipswich Town tv

Post by lucy » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:55 pm

I have heard Rumours Ifollow is no more next Season but not sure what's replacing it

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:13 pm

It’s confirmed - Aston said it at the recent fans forum, no more iFollow and town tv starts next season.

They said it’ll take time to get it right but gives us control of the content and means they can add more to the experience. I’m very much looking forward to it.

Does anyone know the rough price for these own brand channels? IFollow was £140 for an early bird season pass and I thought that was decent value.

It’ll be nice to have more camera hopefully and also some pre match stuff. I really hope they also don’t have the same commentary for tv as audio as it’s always a bit weird with the commentator explaining for those on audio, i.e ‘here chaplin 30 yards from goal, slightly to the right of the box’ - yea we can see that!

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:15 pm

PS I would agree sometimes iFollow has issues but generally if you use the legit stream and have a good internet connection then it’s solid.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:27 pm

I take it we can still get every game as with Ifollow which I have to say I have never had a single issue when watching the games.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:44 pm

shabba wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:15 pm
PS I would agree sometimes iFollow has issues but generally if you use the legit stream and have a good internet connection then it’s solid.

I guess there must have been a problem on Saturday for the presenter to apologise to viewers for the interruptions to service due to WiFi issues which I assume emanated from the Portman Road end. I checked my internet connection which was running in the high hundreds Mbps and use the legit stream. What I’m really interested in was his reference to better things planned for next season which I assumed was Town having its own dedicated channel as many football clubs have these days.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:55 pm

shabba wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:13 pm
It’s confirmed - Aston said it at the recent fans forum, no more iFollow and town tv starts next season.

They said it’ll take time to get it right but gives us control of the content and means they can add more to the experience. I’m very much looking forward to it.

Does anyone know the rough price for these own brand channels? IFollow was £140 for an early bird season pass and I thought that was decent value.

It’ll be nice to have more camera hopefully and also some pre match stuff. I really hope they also don’t have the same commentary for tv as audio as it’s always a bit weird with the commentator explaining for those on audio, i.e ‘here chaplin 30 yards from goal, slightly to the right of the box’ - yea we can see that!
Yep I read that too. Ashton says we’ll be launching our own digital channel next season. Fingers crossed it’ll be better quality than ifollow.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:03 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:55 pm
Fingers crossed it’ll be better quality than ifollow.
Or the same quality if Ipswich are sh!t in the Championship. :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:42 pm

shabba wrote:

Just read your earlier post after replying to your second so apologies for any confusion. For what it’s worth a match pass on Saturday cost £10 which is much the same as ifollow and I’ve just read that an annual subscription this year was £220 which isn’t bad for 46 games and lots of other content. I suspect as with ifollow there would be a pre season introductory offer. What stood out for me on Saturday having switched from one channel to the other was the way superior coverage with more cameras and better commentary making the viewing experience more like watching on Sky compared with the amateurish ifollow.

As long as it’s not silly money I can’t wait for Town to launch it and based on what our Management Team have delivered so far I expect they will get it right.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:19 pm

Spot on buddy .

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:20 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:03 pm
number 9 wrote:
Wash your mouth out this instance young marko !!!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:47 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:20 pm
marko69 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:03 pm
number 9 wrote:
Wash your mouth out this instance young marko !!!
What happened to Marko’s spanking?! :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:59 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:27 pm
I take it we can still get every game as with Ifollow which I have to say I have never had a single issue when watching the games.

It’s certainly better than anything we’ve ever had before and i’ve really appreciated it, enjoyed it and look forward to every game but you must admit it’s very amateurish by modern day standards. If it can be taken to the next level without a huge hike in price it has to be the way forward and I assume more revenue for our football club too.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:56 am

Oh it's definitely limited and basic, I keep reading how people have crashes, buffering etc but I've never had a single issue in that regard so far, must be lucky.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:25 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:56 am
Oh it's definitely limited and basic, I keep reading how people have crashes, buffering etc but I've never had a single issue in that regard so far, must be lucky.
It’s more likely they have a non legit steam and/or poor internet/wifi.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:58 am

shabba wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:25 am
Bluemike wrote:

On Saturday v Charlton the problem was definitely something wrong at the Ipswich end, otherwise why issue an apology at half time ? …. I use the official ITFC stream and have 1000mbps internet speed which I checked at half time and whilst not at a 1000 it was in the high hundreds. I think the problem Saturday was more likely related to the sheer volume of people viewing.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:47 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:58 am
shabba wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:25 am
Bluemike wrote:

On Saturday v Charlton the problem was definitely something wrong at the Ipswich end, otherwise why issue an apology at half time ? …. I use the official ITFC stream and have 1000mbps internet speed which I checked at half time and whilst not at a 1000 it was in the high hundreds. I think the problem Saturday was more likely related to the sheer volume of people viewing.
just be aware that when you test your internet speed the result is measured according to the speed received at the hub. Just because the speed to the hub is 1Gbps doesn't mean that's what you'll get on your device. If either your router or device network adaptor is less than WIFI 6 (and many are still only WIFI 5), then the absolute maximum you will get at your device is only around 200Mbps

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:46 pm

The test is accurate from the device, ie if you test on your laptop then that is the right speed on that device.

Only if you tested directly on the router (via the web UI for example) then your statement would be correct.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:42 pm

shabba wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:46 pm
The test is accurate from the device, ie if you test on your laptop then that is the right speed on that device.

Only if you tested directly on the router (via the web UI for example) then your statement would be correct.
Not quite - depends what test you use. For example, the BT app can test speed, but the speed it reports is the speed of transfer from fibre to hub - that's pretty standard, FAST also works in the same way. I know plenty of people on BT with full fibre packages at 900 Mbps, and the test reports that speed - trouble is BT smart hub has WIFI 5 protocol only, so that's what it sends out to connected devices, which might be around 450 Mbps wired but considerably less on Wifi.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:39 pm

Without wanting to argue - that’s exactly what I said/mean, if the throughput test is being done based on the local device or if it’s done on the router(hub).

Anyway……. Let’s hope this new tv service is good, multiple cameras would be a great step forward, dedicated tv commentary and some decent pre match and half time content please!

It’s another exciting step forward for the club, it’s so great to see that the club is making improvements in every area.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:48 pm

Well certainly Saturdays problem appear to be fixed tonight as the picture and sound quality is superb.

Good line up, very happy with this. All we need is an early goal. ⚽️

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed May 17, 2023 3:21 pm

shabba wrote:

Had the official email today....
"From late June, Ipswich Town will be moving to new digital platforms, which will include a new official club website and streaming service for live and on-demand video.

As a result, iFollow Ipswich will no longer exist and you will need to register with the new service once the new website is up and running.

Existing iFollow Ipswich monthly pass holders will see that no further payment is taken from their account by EFL Digital after 17th May 2023, and pro-rata refunds will be issued to any fan with existing value left on their subscription. Season pass holders will not have their iFollow Ipswich subscription renewed."

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed May 17, 2023 3:32 pm

Just received this update:

Dear Andrew,

From late June, Ipswich Town will be moving to new digital platforms, which will include a new official club website and streaming service for live and on-demand video.

As a result, iFollow Ipswich will no longer exist and you will need to register with the new service once the new website is up and running.

Existing iFollow Ipswich monthly pass holders will see that no further payment is taken from their account by EFL Digital after 17th May 2023, and pro-rata refunds will be issued to any fan with existing value left on their subscription. Season pass holders will not have their iFollow Ipswich subscription renewed.

If you have any questions about iFollow subscriptions, please email ifollow@efl.com. More information on Ipswich Town’s new platform will be released by the Club in due course.

Many thanks
EFL Digital

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 17, 2023 5:55 pm

So, reading that then it looks like fans will ge able to watch Town live?

How does that work then because I thought that live games could not be shown on Sat’s in the UK and it was something to do with a UEFA ruling not anything to do with PL/ EFL ?

Edit: “ Dear Andrew”, lol :lol:….. :wink:

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed May 17, 2023 6:44 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:55 pm

How does that work then because I thought that live games could not be shown on Sat’s in the UK and it was something to do with a UEFA ruling not anything to do with PL/ EFL ?

No it’s the same rules as iFollow just the service is done in house and will have a few more frills to it.
You’ll need to be abroad for 3pm Sat games still, but other games should be available for those in the UK.

Expect to pay more for a season pass than iFollow.
May also be option for UK based folk to pay say £10 a month and watch full games 24 hours after they are played.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed May 17, 2023 6:49 pm

Google Blackpool TV for an example of what it’ll be like

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed May 17, 2023 6:59 pm

shabba wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:44 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:55 pm

No it’s the same rules as iFollow just the service is done in house and will have a few more frills to it.
You’ll need to be abroad for 3pm Sat games still, but other games should be available for those in the UK.

Expect to pay more for a season pass than iFollow.
May also be option for UK based folk to pay say £10 a month and watch full games 24 hours after they are played.
Aren’t they revamping ITFC.com altogether?

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed May 17, 2023 7:44 pm

I don’t understand what your asking sorry, yes they may likely revamp the website too, but the overall rules of the tv side will remain the same as iFollow / it should just be a better service (more pre match, more cameras, hopefully dedicated video commentary rather than shared with audio).

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed May 17, 2023 7:52 pm

shabba wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 7:44 pm
I don’t understand what your asking sorry, yes they may likely revamp the website too, but the overall rules of the tv side will remain the same as iFollow / it should just be a better service (more pre match, more cameras, hopefully dedicated video commentary rather than shared with audio).
No, I just meant the website in general will have a new look as well. I think I read that anyway…I’m getting older so not 100% sure. :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 17, 2023 8:21 pm

Thanks for that info shabba… star man 👍 :D