A certain club up the road looks to be in the brown stuff

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

A certain club up the road looks to be in the brown stuff

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 01, 2023 8:44 am

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-c ... y-walking/

Hope they suffer like we did. What goes around comes around!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: A certain club up the road looks to be in the brown stuff

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 01, 2023 9:01 am

Oh the tide is turning and I hope that self righteous bunch of pricks suffer as much as we have seeing as they took such delight in our demise. We are coming for you tossers !!!!!!

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon May 01, 2023 3:22 pm

Again I’m sure it’s ‘having a laugh’ but I’d prefer to keep it classy myself. I wonder how it’s got that bad, they must have been paying some big wages? I don’t recall them spending hard like say villa have done?

I thought they were actually run on a tight budget - hence they kept getting relegated (but could retain most of their squad).

We shouldn’t be too cocky. Remember we are making losses and it’s not free money from some very rich people.

It does paint a picture of how hard it is to be a peek
Club and still stand on your own financially.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 01, 2023 3:42 pm

Where they are concerned its not having a laugh no.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 01, 2023 3:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 3:42 pm
Where they are concerned its not having a laugh no.
:lol:

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon May 01, 2023 4:55 pm

shabba wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 3:22 pm
Again I’m sure it’s ‘having a laugh’ but I’d prefer to keep it classy myself. I wonder how it’s got that bad, they must have been paying some big wages? I don’t recall them spending hard like say villa have done?

I thought they were actually run on a tight budget - hence they kept getting relegated (but could retain most of their squad).

We shouldn’t be too cocky. Remember we are making losses and it’s not free money from some very rich people.

It does paint a picture of how hard it is to be a peek
Club and still stand on your own financially.
That's how i see it too. Never really get the gloating to be honest.
The financing of football today is horrendous and seems to me like a ticking timebomb across the piece

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 01, 2023 5:04 pm

The thing is narwich has always taken the pee out of all things Ipswich stating that they are a cut above and proclaiming themselves to be so well run. Well clearly they have not learned from

Bolton
Leicester
Town
Derby
Bury
And numerous others

What makes them look particular prats is the amount of Sky money they’ve had go through thst club over the last decade - what exactly have they got to show for it?

Their arrogance knows no bounds . I hope they go into administration. They bloody deserve too!

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon May 01, 2023 6:02 pm

Would love to see a deep dive into the numbers, at a basic level if you have 22 players on an average of 40k a year then that’s ‘only’ £45m a year, I guess it’s easy to spend that again on transfer fees though and that’s your Tv Money from sky gone, then you have a year with a 45m wage bill in the championship with lower income
From tv etc, (unsure what the parachute payments are like).

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon May 01, 2023 6:14 pm

That's surprised me I also though they were fine especially with all the money from dropping down from the prem and the fact that they sell players for big money not like us, that news has made my day.😂😂😂

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon May 01, 2023 8:05 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 5:04 pm
The thing is narwich has always taken the pee out of all things Ipswich stating that they are a cut above and proclaiming themselves to be so well run. Well clearly they have not learned from

Bolton
Leicester
Town
Derby
Bury
And numerous others

What makes them look particular prats is the amount of Sky money they’ve had go through thst club over the last decade - what exactly have they got to show for it?

Their arrogance knows no bounds . I hope they go into administration. They bloody deserve too!
I hope no club goes into admin as it has huge consequences for employees and suppliers.
I'd prefer football financies to be overseen as they are in Germany etc.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 01, 2023 9:56 pm

The game is shot in this country VR…. Sky saw to that in my humble opinion. Their money has killed the game for all but the top 5-6 PL clubs. Sky don’t give a flying one about any club outside of the PL. and I think the PL is plastic, and in many cases bloody predictable and boring . Money, greed for it etc has killed it as a spectacle and clubs selling their souls to be in on it (but never being accepted as part of the elite sub group), end up killing their own club. It’d not sustainable unless you have wealth backers who are intending to continue to fund a few very wealthy players. You either hope your club gets a backer like that and that backer stays interested in your club. But of course they only will if they get a payback - which as we know is largely the Champions League. Sad state of affairs really.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon May 01, 2023 11:53 pm

Did consider signing up with their Pink 'Un forum now that we're joining together in the same league but something didn't sit right.

I got no real animosity towards them. I'm no East-Anglian resident or born and bred around that area so any hostility isn't as prevalent as some others.
Could never hate them although from past experience a handful of their fanbase are something that can't be written on a family-oriented message board.

Plaudits where it's due (that) under Farke they put together an exciting team that got things done and with Delia Smith and Michael Jones was it they had two individuals who moved heaven and earth to attempt what's best for the club name. Kind of real owners, heart in the right place and then some.

Did you know when they topped the league frequently during the 1992 / 93 season, the goal difference was often negative. Kind of a surreal team they got there.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue May 02, 2023 1:33 am

I want them to survive to keep the East Anglia derby going…

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 02, 2023 6:41 am

number 9 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 1:33 am
I want them to survive to keep the East Anglia derby going…
Yep. Definitely.

Can’t speak for home grown fans, but for me, the main excitement for next season isn’t the possibility of play-offs etc ——>> but those Ipswich Norwich encounters. Been away too long.

Up here, Hibs fan, but HMFC keep it all interesting. For sure.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue May 02, 2023 8:48 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 11:53 pm
Did consider signing up with their Pink 'Un forum now that we're joining together in the same league but something didn't sit right.

I got no real animosity towards them. I'm no East-Anglian resident or born and bred around that area so any hostility isn't as prevalent as some others.
Could never hate them although from past experience a handful of their fanbase are something that can't be written on a family-oriented message board.

Plaudits where it's due (that) under Farke they put together an exciting team that got things done and with Delia Smith and Michael Jones was it they had two individuals who moved heaven and earth to attempt what's best for the club name. Kind of real owners, heart in the right place and then some.

Did you know when they topped the league frequently during the 1992 / 93 season, the goal difference was often negative. Kind of a surreal team they got there.
You should read some of the stuff on there about us it’s comical😂have a look if only for a good laugh.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue May 02, 2023 12:50 pm

Didn't realise Delia's drink bill was that big, clearly supporting that team takes its toll and she has hit it hard, poor woman.

Looking forward to us meeting them next season, few wrongs to be righted and on the pitch is the best way.

We're on the up and they are League one bound sooner rather than later, you reap what you sow.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue May 02, 2023 5:47 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 8:48 am
arana peligrosa wrote:

You should read some of the stuff on there about us it’s comical😂have a look if only for a good laugh.
Haha - like what? Any links? Defo be interested in that :)

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue May 02, 2023 9:47 pm

It is amusing. Apparently the only reason they have never had european success is because of the english uefa ban in the mid 80's.... yeah - right - course it was... 😂

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue May 02, 2023 9:49 pm

Having said that, a few of their fans seem to see their plight and our rise more realistically than some of our TWTD posters would if the shoe was on the other foot...!

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue May 02, 2023 9:59 pm

I see that article was written last October. They sent the first Club to overspend in an attempt to get promoted and fall.
I agree that Sky has ruined football. I actually wonder if I really want Ipswich to get in the prem. is the Most artificial competition.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue May 02, 2023 10:49 pm

shabba wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 5:47 pm
bluejacko wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 8:48 am
arana peligrosa wrote:

Haha - like what? Any links? Defo be interested in that :)
Can't provide a link from here but just seek out 'The Pink Un' forum', should direct you straight to it.

They label us binners but to what end i don't always know. Maybe some garbage reference but they use it often when comparing club names and fanbases.

Check out the 'Scum promoted' subject matter. Took it all in a day or two back and while it's perhaps derogatory or insult intended couldn't help but feel a sense of frustration that we done so well this year and some tantrums were evident, that sort of sh*t from their end et cetera.

Some, or at least one or two, fans were genuine enough to wish us well. You can't castigate them all.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed May 03, 2023 6:48 am

Andym wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 9:59 pm
I see that article was written last October. They sent the first Club to overspend in an attempt to get promoted and fall.
I agree that Sky has ruined football. I actually wonder if I really want Ipswich to get in the prem. is the Most artificial competition.
I raised this fear on a different thread, Andy. I really don't find the premier league a competition that interests me. Don't get me wrong, it would be a nice problem to have initially if we ever get there but kick offs on Saturday and Sunday nights, hardly a 3pm saturday fixture, diving, cheating, competing with clubs funded by regimes of questionable backgrounds, wembley finals with no soul, stadiums with no soul - the list goes on. Challenging at the top of the Championship will do well for now and then lets see what happens...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 03, 2023 7:40 am

One thing that makes me chuckle slightly…… and can only be a football thing.
Ipswich were Championship level for a record length of time without moving up or down…… it was labelled monotonous and boring and “are we destined to this forever” conversations etc etc , coupled with Mick and his “be careful” stuff…….

…… and then seeing the magnitude of the celebrations getting BACK to the “monotony” of the Championship :lol:

But i’m with that thinking too Andy & Wilf. Recently got a West Ham supporter employed with the company, (from London) and proper supporter, (he has hotel booked for Prague should they beat Alkmaar in the semi) ….. and he sort of thinks similar. Being generally regarded as shyte being lower half of table, even though its EPL.

Think i’d fear a record breaking rock bottom season and the 2nd bottom team being 18 points ahead sort of stuff :shock:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed May 03, 2023 11:17 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:40 am
…… and then seeing the magnitude of the celebrations getting BACK to the “monotony” of the Championship :lol:
I think the difference is Marko, is that this club has a 'have a go' mentality now. Yes they dropped lower than the Championship monotony, but it had got to a point where the club had pretty much given up. Evans had given up, he provided no fresh investment and we were left with McCarthy saying "ok well with next to zero money, I can get the club to finish 16th for eternity with sleep inducing football, how is that?". He saw that as success.

It's an entertainment sport, it's not for the frugal or risk adverse, so the celebrations are of course for the success of this season, but a huge part of the celebrations isn't about that, it's the 'got your club back' feeling in the air. The stadium is selling out, it's being redeveloped, the match day experience is being enhanced, the club-community interaction is increasing, inclusive social media, we have a squad wanting to win, achieve, entertain, a CEO wanting to push the club further, an ambitious manager, funding that believes in the project. The celebrations are so much more than "yay, we're back in the championship", the celebrations are for "what's next?" and having the knowledge that the club now have a mentality of not accepting 16th.

To have the good, you have to have the bad, to enjoy a rollercoaster you have to endure the boring bits and this Town was waiting in the queue for 15 years. Finishing lower mid table for seemingly ever is like going on a flat 10mph rollercoaster, it's not entertainment, even if those who ran the club saw it as success because the club wasn't being relegated and everyone was getting paid.

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Wed May 03, 2023 12:26 pm

Much as I dislike them, it's a sad state of affairs. The Premier League are killing teams with firing a shot! Football needs a reset. Wage caps, transfer fee caps etc etc. If something isn't done in the next 3/4 years I really can see a bigger club going under and then the powers that be will be shocked and say something dumb like "we didn't realise" and then take 20 years to make a bloody decision!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 03, 2023 1:55 pm

Ricco wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 11:17 am
marko69 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:40 am
I think the difference is Marko, is that this club has a 'have a go' mentality now. Yes they dropped lower than the Championship monotony, but it had got to a point where the club had pretty much given up. Evans had given up, he provided no fresh investment and we were left with McCarthy saying "ok well with next to zero money, I can get the club to finish 16th for eternity with sleep inducing football, how is that?". He saw that as success.

It's an entertainment sport, it's not for the frugal or risk adverse, so the celebrations are of course for the success of this season, but a huge part of the celebrations isn't about that, it's the 'got your club back' feeling in the air. The stadium is selling out, it's being redeveloped, the match day experience is being enhanced, the club-community interaction is increasing, inclusive social media, we have a squad wanting to win, achieve, entertain, a CEO wanting to push the club further, an ambitious manager, funding that believes in the project. The celebrations are so much more than "yay, we're back in the championship", the celebrations are for "what's next?" and having the knowledge that the club now have a mentality of not accepting 16th.

To have the good, you have to have the bad, to enjoy a rollercoaster you have to endure the boring bits and this Town was waiting in the queue for 15 years. Finishing lower mid table for seemingly ever is like going on a flat 10mph rollercoaster, it's not entertainment, even if those who ran the club saw it as success because the club wasn't being relegated and everyone was getting paid.
Yep, good post, Ricco, well explained. I suppose further away fans didn’t really appreciate just how painful the football got in those McCarthy days. Couple watching it while knowing the staff are on mega-bucks. Not a good combination.

But if there is clear ambition……. (Like there has to be really when you have pension pot money being juggled) …… it’ll be a whole new Championship experience ——>> that a generation at least haven’t witnessed as yet.

Good times to be an Ipswich Town fan.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 03, 2023 1:58 pm

You reckon any players will have their own Chapels next season? Coz that’d be WELL impressive.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 03, 2023 4:42 pm

I've never been keen on us returning to the crap that is the Premier League, I barely watch a game these days, it bores me senseless if I'm honest, however the only thing that has me wondering now is the drive and ambition of Gamechanger and Mark Ashton because unlike the tinpot inbreds up the road, if we did ever get there again we would indeed give it a go to actually compete and become established in the top flight again as opposed to taking the money, not reinvesting and becoming a boring yoyo club.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 04, 2023 9:17 am

I’ve always firmly believed that these owners snd Ashton have / are targeting Champions League status! That’s where the payback is and as Ashton has constantly stated he puts no “limits on how far this Club can go” …..

Football success appears intrinsically linked to how much funding is put into a Club eg earlier Chelsea, Man City, Newcastle, and soon to be Man Utd. I think there’s every chance you can add Ipswich to that list over the next 5-6 years.

Believe…..

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu May 04, 2023 10:39 am

To be honest, I think Norwich have accomplished quite a lot in the last decade. Their fans have certainly been given a ride on the rollercoaster for good and bad. It's just impossible for most clubs to sustain themselves financially in today's market without multi-billionaire ownership.

I agree with Liz, in that there needs to be better ways for regulating investment and spending. Salary caps and a limit on transfer fees is a good start, in my opinion. Even the most lucrative sports organization in the world...the NFL, has salary caps.

Also agree with Ricco's comments about the celebrations. It's not just about being promoted to the Championship, it's the realization we've found our identity again. I hope our success continues and we are back at the very top in the future. For me, the Premier League is the ultimate goal and I have always wanted a return to that status. I still love watching the Premier League, and I still believe it is very competitive. It saddens me to see so many people disinterested in that level of football now, but it is what it is.