League 1 - Fleetwood Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Finish the season in style?

FLeetwood Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
89%
Draw
11%

Total votes: 19

Steve

Re: League 1 - Fleetwood Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Steve » Sun May 07, 2023 5:25 pm

Just seen highlights from Sheffield Wednesday versus Derby game.. What a shambolic referee. Gave a penalty for Wednesday which for me was very harsh to say the least. If that wasn't bad enough he sent the Derby player off even though Derby had covering players.

I really have no favourites who wins the play offs but that was very poor from the Ref

Just my input on Burns. He has been one of the stand out players since the Bristol Rovers bore draw. Just cannot understand why pick on him when he's played his part in Ipswich's revival

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun May 07, 2023 5:30 pm

Steve wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 5:25 pm
Just seen highlights from Sheffield Wednesday versus Derby game.. What a shambolic referee. Gave a penalty for Wednesday which for me was very harsh to say the least. If that wasn't bad enough he sent the Derby player off even though Derby had covering players.

I really have no favourites who wins the play offs but that was very poor from the Ref

Just my input on Burns. He has been one of the stand out players since the Bristol Rovers bore draw. Just cannot understand why pick on him when he's played his part in Ipswich's revival
good post Steve,
imagine what that referee's terrible decision could make to Derby's actual future existence, all those billions in English football and a clubs future relies on amateurs. it goes on and on.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun May 07, 2023 5:42 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 5:30 pm
Steve wrote:

good post Steve,
imagine what that referee's terrible decision could make to Derby's actual future existence, all those billions in English football and a clubs future relies on amateurs. it goes on and on.

Thought the Derby manager actually handled this very well. It was no penalty and then to send the player off when players were covering was just wrong. Yet Paul Warne though disappointed with the ref said its over all of the season where Derby fell short. He was honest

The ref could have nightmares though when seeing this

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun May 07, 2023 5:52 pm

Steve wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 5:42 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 5:30 pm
Steve wrote:

good post Steve,

Thought the Derby manager actually handled this very well. It was no penalty and then to send the player off when players were covering was just wrong. Yet Paul Warne though disappointed with the ref said its over all of the season where Derby fell short. He was honest

The ref could have nightmares though when seeing this
yeah good to see a manager acting like a man with respect towards an official, imaging that spitting animal Klipity Klop's reaction.
agree with the manager its the whole season failings, but its still his and the clubs future on the line by that mistake,

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 07, 2023 6:06 pm

I really hope Weds c*ck it up in the play offs. They’ve had this kind of “ luck” like this all season ….

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 07, 2023 6:09 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 1:02 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:59 pm
Yip, me too 👍 doubt we’ll get it though. Nothing up front, nothing in the middle and scrappy vulnerable at the back . Got the makings of a home win for me.
That's you back to your optimistic self then? :roll:
Just seen this. It was based on what I’d just watched in the first half . We were very poor. You obviously thought we had the midfield sewn up then did you, and were running rings round them up front , and looking solid at the back….. really??

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun May 07, 2023 6:46 pm

LizinSpain wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 2:49 pm
Bit of a flat ending to the season but hey ho! It's been a rollercoaster of a season, but I'm looking forward to a few weeks of normal blood pressure and some beach time before we go again!

PS.Anyone know what day the fixtures are released for next season?? Just want to prior plan to try and get back for the Budgies game at PR!!!!
Mid June was this season’s fixture announcement but maybe it was early due to the World Cup meaning the season started earlier - so expect towards end of June/early July?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 07, 2023 8:04 pm

It's normally late June.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun May 07, 2023 10:13 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 6:09 pm
mendipblue wrote:
hallamblue wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:59 pm
Yip, me too 👍 doubt we’ll get it though. Nothing up front, nothing in the middle and scrappy vulnerable at the back . Got the makings of a home win for me.
Just seen this. It was based on what I’d just watched in the first half . We were very poor. You obviously thought we had the midfield sewn up then did you, and were running rings round them up front , and looking solid at the back….. really??
Understand, just thought it was very negative considering the run we had been on.🤷‍♀️

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun May 07, 2023 10:29 pm

I think the lads were exhausted from all the emotions last Saturday. They all deserve a standing ovation for a brilliant season! Well done!
👏 👏 👏

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Mon May 08, 2023 12:09 am

rossi wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 5:10 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 3:09 pm
Not totally unexpected for me today, the celebrations have clearly taken their toll. We weren't even half hearted, more quarter hearted but if we had needed the win we would have won it.

A class goal from Freddie, best striker at the club for me, he was inches off a second too. One thing I have ascertained from today, Ball, Donacien, Jackson and Harness won't cut it in the Championship and all need shipping out.

I think Morsy is massive for us and it showed big time but again I think all the players were pretty jaded which is not a surprise at all, it must be virtually impossible to come down from the euphoria of last week and roll up in f**king Fleetwood, trust me it's as bleak as it gets.

Job done, move on and the work starts now. COYB'S
Agreed, but I'd also add Burns into that list, thought he was awful today, actually quite a few of our players looked disinterested today but him more than most.

Will be very interesting to see what the summer transfer market brings.
To be honest you have been picking on Burns all season. So your comments are not taken seriously on todays performance. Nice to see you posting again. And Town don't win. Coincidence? 🤔

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon May 08, 2023 12:31 am

Believe tomorrow they're having a celebration of sort in Christchurch Park to honor the club's success of this season. First team players will be present as will club personnel i.e. coaching staff although whether Ashton and / or any Game Changer representatives will attend isn't exactly clear.

Some 25,000 are expected to show. Guess you'd question why not stage it at Portman Road but to present a ceremony in a Public Park with enough open space, seems not a bad idea and something different. Not everyone can be there but it should be a good event.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon May 08, 2023 7:00 am

Bloody hell I thought I was harsh on the team at times but some of the comments on this thread seem OTT to me. Yes, it wasn’t a good performance yesterday but come on people we have taken 41 points out of our last 45 to end the season.
In someways yesterday might have done us a favour by highlighting some of those players who maybe won’t be up to Championship level and need shipping out. Also, showed what a key player Morsy is for us. I would also add that it wasn’t just the players who didn’t seem up for it yesterday, even the fans level of support in terms of noise wasn’t as good as previous games, no doubt due to our objective already being achieved and the celebrating that had gone on with that.
We are not going to beat every team 6-0 even at league 1 level, and even if we had put in a 10/10 performance yesterday we would have still finished 2nd.
Anyhow rant over, feeling knackered this morning but will still make my way down to Christchurch Park later to join in the celebrations. Enjoy your summer everybody and see you all in August!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 08, 2023 7:33 am

Spot on Tony, yesterday was not overly surprising to me, had we needed to win to go up I bet it would have been a different story, I think the guys have been fantastic, especially the last 2 or 3 months.

That said I am a bit concerned where the fringe players are concerned tbh, we are going up a level and need to strengthen a bit.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 08, 2023 10:14 am

mendipblue wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 10:13 pm
hallamblue wrote:
mendipblue wrote:

Understand, just thought it was very negative considering the run we had been on.🤷‍♀️
You view it as negative, I’d be more inclined to say it was a stated “observation” of how we played. So would that make the players efforts negative then?

Look, we have finally got out of this god awful division. I’m REALLY optimistic actually despite people perceptions of me. I said to Mike last week that I could see back to back promotions for us given the infrastructure, caliber of players and owners we now have. That doesn’t mean I’m not going to be critical at some point of how the team performs or how individual players might perform. It’s about standards and maintaining them or improving upon them. McKenna said as much in his post match interview. Does that make him negative? No. It makes him reflective and adaptive. If we never challenge what we do, how we perform, we never improve.

COYBs

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 08, 2023 10:54 am

Nice one, Hallam……., optimism is a great thing. Makes you feel better in every day life.

But err……. 🤔, back to back promotions? Not sure can be regarded as optimism. :lol: More blue tinted “fk off Norwich” chat! :lol:
Reckon with the teams possibly falling from the EPL and the level in the league already…… (for me) being optimistic is consolidating that level. Maybe mid-table, coupled with having a sniff at the play-offs.

I hope & 🙏 that MAshton does not have any “no reason why we can’t……” type chats in any media conferences. It’ll set a standard amongst fans and if the team struggles, the tide will turn quickly. It’d be unnecessary pressure on Kieron & Co.

Caption:

MA: “I want promotion. We are EPL level.”
KMcK : “But, Mark….. are you honestly…..”
MA: “F*CKIN PROMOTION. We are going up.”

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon May 08, 2023 10:55 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:14 am

Look, we have finally got out of this god awful division. I’m REALLY optimistic actually despite people perceptions of me. I said to Mike last week that I could see back to back promotions for us given the infrastructure, caliber of players and owners we now have. That doesn’t mean I’m not going to be critical at some point of how the team performs or how individual players might perform. It’s about standards and maintaining them or improving upon them. McKenna said as much in his post match interview. Does that make him negative? No. It makes him reflective and adaptive. If we never challenge what we do, how we perform, we never improve.

COYBs
Excellent post, there’s no point in saying we played wonderfully when we didn’t. It’s always helpful to keep your feet on the ground and see the things that could be improved while acknowledging the good stuff.
Didn’t see much of the game yesterday, I was streaming it while running a bar for some strange celebration involving an elderly couple sitting in chairs with hats on (thank you for that quote, Private Eye) but was a bit too busy to keep an eye on it.
Regarding next season, I’m not expecting miracles. I think a lot of us thought we would get instant promotion front league 1 and it took a while to get there. I’m looking forward to the season and hoping for a top half finish. More important, I’m looking first to us continuing to develop and play good football.
Happy summer (when it arrives) to all.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Mon May 08, 2023 12:47 pm

hallamblue wrote:
mendipblue wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

You view it as negative, I’d be more inclined to say it was a stated “observation” of how we played. So would that make the players efforts negative then?

COYBs
We were having a under performing 45 mins for the first time in 15 games and you jumped on them saying things like, crap at the back, nothing in the middle. All you can see is a home win.I found that negative. Also quoting what KMck said and implying he agreed with you 24hrs after your original post mmmm. Not sure that's right. KMck said they dropped standards, after the week they had had. Measured response after the game not Negative unlike your post after 45 mins. I'm not having a go it was just a observation. 🫡

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon May 08, 2023 1:00 pm

I did expect us to be better yesterday than we were, but maybe the prize money difference between being Champions and runners-up doesn't mean much to a club with the kind of resources we have.

What yesterday did prove to me is that if we are to make progress next season then we need to make 2 or 3 quality signings in key positions, and also we have certain players who are unlikely to make the grade.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 08, 2023 1:56 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:47 pm
hallamblue wrote:
mendipblue wrote:

COYBs
We were having a under performing 45 mins for the first time in 15 games and you jumped on them saying things like, crap at the back, nothing in the middle. All you can see is a home win.I found that negative. Also quoting what KMck said and implying he agreed with you 24hrs after your original post mmmm. Not sure that's right. KMck said they dropped standards, after the week they had had. Measured response after the game not Negative unlike your post after 45 mins. I'm not having a go it was just a observation. 🫡
Maybe it’s HOW things are said. It’ll be quite some person to better McKenna’s articulate ability, and I certainly don’t profess to have that level.

I’ve not for one minute said McKenna was “ agreeing with me”. That’s your interpretation/ words. Not mine. But the concerns appears to be the same. We dropped our standards. As you say his was a measured response. He’s more articulate than me or you…. But the underlying understanding is we were poor. He goes onto to project that as a learning mechanism for next season. I take that to mean, we should prevent / reduce those dropp8ng of standards ( by implication the best teams rarely do).

And yes you ARE having a go. You did it within minutes of my post. So maybe you should look at yourself and be more measured !

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Mon May 08, 2023 6:57 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 1:56 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:47 pm
hallamblue wrote:

COYBs
Maybe it’s HOW things are said. It’ll be quite some person to better McKenna’s articulate ability, and I certainly don’t profess to have that level.

I’ve not for one minute said McKenna was “ agreeing with me”. That’s your interpretation/ words. Not mine. But the concerns appears to be the same. We dropped our standards. As you say his was a measured response. He’s more articulate than me or you…. But the underlying understanding is we were poor. He goes onto to project that as a learning mechanism for next season. I take that to mean, we should prevent / reduce those dropp8ng of standards ( by implication the best teams rarely do).

And yes you ARE having a go. You did it within minutes of my post. So maybe you should look at yourself and be more measured !
I have been measured and I'm not having a go. I explained my reasoning. 15 th game. First 45 mins under par. You said they were CRAP? Very harsh. We disagree so that's that. 🤷

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 08, 2023 7:20 pm

You may have explained your reasoning …, I’ve explained mine . We’ll agree to disagree . It’s about opinions , views and interpretations.
How about you just leave it alone now please!
Last edited by hallamblue on Mon May 08, 2023 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon May 08, 2023 7:29 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 7:20 pm
Fine leave it alone then …..
Thomas Paine, once said "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

I thought Derek would have learnt by now he wont get the better of you Lis. :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 08, 2023 7:58 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 7:29 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Fine leave it alone then …..
Thomas Paine, once said "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

I thought Derek would have learnt by now he wont get the better of you Lis. :wink:

Lol, you’ve got that one right John

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Mon May 08, 2023 8:14 pm

hallamblue wrote:
You may have explained your reasoning …, I’ve explained mine . We’ll agree to disagree . It’s about opinions , views and interpretations.
How about you just leave it alone now please!
Agreed 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 08, 2023 8:31 pm

Thank you :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 09, 2023 7:57 am

That's alright.....
WE HATE NORWICH AND WE HATE NORWICH

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue May 09, 2023 10:08 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue May 09, 2023 3:17 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:57 am
That's alright.....
WE HATE NORWICH AND WE HATE NORWICH and the Tesco bags
you forgot the Tesco bags, alias Sandwell Town, which should see you with another 6 points, so you have 12 points before you start, happy days Mike