League 1 - Fleetwood Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Finish the season in style?

FLeetwood Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
89%
Draw
11%

Total votes: 19

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Fleetwood Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Tue May 02, 2023 10:26 pm

Image Fleetwood Town v Ipswich TownImage

Sunday 7th May 2023 – 12:00

Highbury Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Mission Accomplished !!! Another scintillating Ninety Minutes of Football saw our beloved Ipswich Town return to the Championship after an absence of Four very painful years. The demolition of Exeter City was reminiscent of many of our recent performances as Town ripped through the opposition with relative ease to virtually confirm promotion as early as the Sixteenth Minute, what followed in that epic First half was testament to just how far ahead of most teams in this division we actually are.

The 6-0 scoreline didn't flatter the Super Blues one bit, in fact the only real surprise was how the team took the pressure of the occasion in their stride, you would not have guessed we were playing for such a big prize, the patience, composure and quality was first class once again. The build up to the biggest game for years saw every man and his Dog proclaiming Town to already be up, Thousands of fans turned up with drums, scarves, flares, flags etc to welcome the team bus into the ground prior to kick off, pitch invasions were planned and the songs being sung pre game suggested we had achieved our goal, if ever we had built ourselves up for a massive fall this was it, but these days this team is a different Animal and all the hype and expectation was justified, quite why we should have had any doubts I really don't know.

Goals from Chaplin with a brace, Luongo, Hirst, Broadhead & Burns did the trick to send the sell out crowd wild with celebrations not witnessed for many a long day, the noise on the day was deafening from start to finish and didn't relent at any time during the afternoon, you really have to witness this team to appreciate just how good they are right now. The celebrations that followed after the full time whistle were quite special, the togetherness of everyone involved in this wonderful season is clear for all too see, the players giving the gaffer the bumps, Kyle Edwards with the biggest smile on his face while showing his dance moves, Mark Ashton punching the air in salute to the Sir Bobby Robson stand, Richard Keogh burying himself in a sea of fans at the front of the stand and the local boys of Luke Woolfenden & Harry Clarke orchestrating the singing from the North stand faithful, in fact the latter Two didn't stop there as social media is full of pictures of them along with Freddie Ladapo mingling with adoring fans in the pubs and clubs long into the night, yes indeed it was a day of real celebration and One which is never to be forgotten.

All that is left now is a final day shootout between ourselves and Plymouth to see who are crowned champions, we travel to Fleetwood Town while Port Vale welcome Plymouth to Vale Park, may the best team win and while we are pretty certain Town will win I am not so sure Plymouth will get the job done, in truth it matters not as both are heading up and we must say a massive congratulations to Plymouth Argyle FC who have lasted the course and surprised a fair few of us, myself included, that said I welcome the Six Points next season.

Town will be looking to accrue One Hundred points & goals next weekend and I don't think many would bet against it, the title to is up for grabs and I am sure Conor Chaplin will want to back up his player of the season award with Thirty goals for the season and the Leagues Golden Boot so there is still very much to play for.

Once the dust has settled on a incredible season we will all no doubt start deliberating over who will stay, who will sign and who will be on their way, not long after that it will be the Fixtures and all eyes will be on how long we have to wait before we can give that lot up the road a good hiding at last, many of them are already looking at what is coming their way with trepidation, yes indeed so many good things coming our way.

I said at the start of this season I saw us going up as Champions and that is still on, there was definitely a wobble from me mid way through the campaign as Town stuttered and stumbled and that should be a lesson to all of us I guess, it also goes to show what a genius we have at the helm, Kieran McKenna has been absolutely fantastic and as has already been said by our owners, this is just the beginning and no stone will be left unturned in their quest to return us to the Premier League, many neutrals already fancy us to go well next season and with a bit of strengthening who would argue.

For what it is worth I can see Town running out comfortable winners next weekend maybe Two or Three to Nil before they can all go off on their much deserved Summer Holidays, which is exactly what I will be doing as I tune in to see how the boys get on from Sunny Crete.

All that is left for me to do is to say a MASSIVE thank you to Kieran McKenna, Mark Ashton, Gamechanger and of course each an every One of the back room staff and players who have not only delivered an incredible season that we will never forget but have also laid the foundations for this great club to return to a level that we are more than entitled to expect, this Ipswich Town after all and the future is looking very rosy indeed. I for One cannot wait to see the next chapter unfold.

So that is me done and I sign off with a big thank you for all you guys for reading the previews each and every week and posting your comments on the match threads, without that they would be pointless, thanks again, it's been a pleasure.
IPSWICH TIL I DIE, COYB'S !!!!!! THE TOWN ARE GOING UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Opposition – Fleetwood Town - Honours

League

Football League Two

Play-off winners – 2013–14

Conference National
Champions – 2011–12

Conference North
Runners-up (and play-off winners) – 2009–10

Northern Premier League Premier Division
Champions – 2007–08

Northern Premier League First Division
Champions – 1987–88
Runners-up (promoted) – 2005–06

North West Counties Football League Premier Division
Champions – 2004–05

North West Counties Football League First Division
Champions – 1983–84, 1998–99

Lancashire Combination
Champions – 1923–24
Runners-up – 1933–34, 1934–35

Cup

Northern Premier League Challenge Cup
Winners – 1971, 2007
Runners-up – 1989

Northern Premier League President's Cup
Winners – 1990
Runners-up – 1991

North West Counties Football League First Division Trophy
Winners – 1999

FA Vase
Runners-up – 1984–85

The Manager – Scott Brown

League Table as at 1st May 2023

Form Guide

Fleetwood Town

10 Apr Fleetwood 1 - 2 Bristol Rovers

15 Apr Accrington 2 - 5 Fleetwood

18 Apr Forest Green 0 - 0 Fleetwood

22 Apr Fleetwood 1 - 0 Milton Keynes

29 Apr Bolton 2 - 0 Fleetwood

Ipswich Town

15 Apr Ipswich Town 6 - 0 Charlton

18 Apr Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Port Vale

22 Apr Peterborough 0 - 3 Ipswich Town

25 Apr Barnsley 0 - 3 Ipswich Town

29 Apr Ipswich Town 6 - 0 Exeter City

Head to Head

Match Referee – Ross Joyce

FLEETWOOD TOWN 0 IPSWICH TOWN 2

Blue Wilf

Re: League 1 - Fleetwood Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed May 03, 2023 6:56 am

Thanks for all of the hard work on the forum Mike, Charny, Frosty, Marko and apologies to anyone I have forgotten. The football season is the backdrop to the rhythm of my life and the chats on this forum are a big part of that. Enjoy the summer everyone 0-3 Town and Plymouth 0-0. Chaplins gets golden boot and we are Champions. That will tie up the loose ends nicely! COYB's!! 💙

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 03, 2023 7:59 am

Great season of previews, Mike. They always set the game up nicely and they could easily be printed in a match-day programme. Great stuff and enjoy the holiday in Crete. 👍👌

Got to believe that the team will show Champion intent and do a number on Broonys Fleetwood. (Before he heads to be Hibs boss after Liam is emptied)
Not sure if Port Vale will have any enthusiasm at all v Argyle with feck all to play for……. But even if its just a draw. 🙏
League One Trophy in a helicopter between Fleetwood & Stoke. Only 88 miles apart…….. not a helicopter pilot by any stretch, but thats got to be doable. 👍

Ref / Scott Brown Caption.

Scott Brown: (thinks) What the hell colour is that ref wearing?
Ref: “You wondering about the shirt colour Scott? Its howlin’ eh? Like that early naughties Hibs effort.”

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed May 03, 2023 8:36 am

Making the long trip up to Fleetwood on Sunday. I’m not going to lie, there have been times this season when I have questioned my sanity and said to myself, “why am I still doing this”? Cambridge and Bristol Rovers Away certainly come to mind. Then you get nights like at Oakwell and you say to yourself “that’s why”.
Tbh although it would be great to win the title on Sunday I’m not really bothered what happens, because:
WE ARE GOING UP, WE ARE GOING UP!!!

Fleetwood 1 Town 2

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 03, 2023 10:20 am

Er, we always question your sanity Tony :wink: x

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed May 03, 2023 10:57 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 10:20 am
Er, we always question your sanity Tony :wink: x
:lol: :lol: Thats’s just what the other 2 in the household say!

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Wed May 03, 2023 12:32 pm

Us for a win and praying for PV to do us a favour! COYB

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed May 03, 2023 12:41 pm

Not really the right thread for this, but MK Dons, Morecombe and Cambridge have a big weekend ahead of them over who stays up and who goes down.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed May 03, 2023 1:34 pm

Thanks to Mike for a season of interesting and engaging previews. Thanks to everyone for making this such a nice place to discuss the town.

We might not win the title but, with no disrespect to Plymouth, we actually deserve it.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed May 03, 2023 9:05 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:36 am
Making the long trip up to Fleetwood on Sunday. I’m not going to lie, there have been times this season when I have questioned my sanity and said to myself, “why am I still doing this”? Cambridge and Bristol Rovers Away certainly come to mind. Then you get nights like at Oakwell and you say to yourself “that’s why”.
Tbh although it would be great to win the title on Sunday I’m not really bothered what happens, because:
WE ARE GOING UP, WE ARE GOING UP!!!

Fleetwood 1 Town 2
As always Shed, you have a safe trip and that goes to all the travelling town fans as well of course. and bring those 3 points back,

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 04, 2023 1:31 pm

Frosty wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 12:41 pm
Not really the right thread for this, but MK Dons, Morecombe and Cambridge have a big weekend ahead of them over who stays up and who goes down.
Out of all of them I’d like Morcambe to stay up. They tried to play the game here and at their place. MKDons really need to just disappear, and Cambridge are a bunch I thugs on and off the pitch in my view.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Thu May 04, 2023 10:01 pm

Frosty wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 12:41 pm
Could go any way there. Doubt too many will shed a tear if the franchise team goes down.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri May 05, 2023 8:40 am

I expect us to win this one by the odd goal, I also think Plymouth will slip up at PV.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 05, 2023 10:21 am

rossi wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:40 am
I expect us to win this one by the odd goal, I also think Plymouth will slip up at PV.
Exactly my thoughts although I fancy us to get maybe 3.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 05, 2023 1:43 pm

rossi wrote:
OMG I really hope you’re right there Gary.

Personally I can’t see it now, because PV have nothing to play for now ( 2 weeks ago , different story then I think , pity). Also I the drive by the Ply Mouth players will be as high as our lads , so I think we will both win.

We’ll see… but the main thing is we are UP !🥳🥳🥳🥳

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 05, 2023 1:44 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:21 am
rossi wrote:
Exactly my thoughts although I fancy us to get maybe 3.
Get back to ya sunbathing , you ! :lol:

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri May 05, 2023 2:25 pm

Nice write up gents, and thanks to you all for the time you put in to this forum, it is appreciated.

Back to the game in question, going to be a harder affair than last weekend but the form we are in will take us through comfortably. I'm hoping Plymouth will slip up, and reckon PV will beat them, time will tell.

All goes the way I think and would love, we will nick the title, just!

FW 1 - Town 3 (PV 2 - Plymouth - 1)

And hopefully we will all pop on from time to time during closed season to chat about comings and goings and general Town stuff. Take care all and have a good summer, im sure it is going to be a beauty!

P.S. Hopefully I will make it to more than one home game next season too!

Claretboy

Post by Claretboy » Fri May 05, 2023 4:49 pm

Congratulations on your well deserved return to the Championship!

Had one of my best away days of the season at Portman rd, in the FA cup, earlier in the year!

You certainly gave us a game home and away too!

Just a heads up,re anyone travelling to the game on Sunday at Fleetwood!

There has been major roadworks on the road into Fleetwood after you leave the M55

Give yourself plenty of time to get there, as it can be a drag approaching the town!

Good luck and Lets hope Plymouth slip up at Vale!

Ps I hope to be celebrating too on Monday again...hopefully 100 points..... One very happy Burnley fan!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 05, 2023 5:58 pm

Congratulations to you too mate, and thanks for the advice for anyone travelling up. All the best for next season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 05, 2023 6:09 pm

Echo Bluemike re the congrats on Burnley the past season. They were sensational. If Kompany still there next season, reckon Burnley could be a mid to upper EPL side. 👍 All the best.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri May 05, 2023 11:28 pm

Don't know where the hell Fleetwood is or where we're traveling at but it's beside the point (in that) we're going to win and finish the season with victory.

On the weekend Brits get a new King and all that hurrah seems kind of fitting to make it a double celebration by winning the league. Plymouth are a pain in the as* and we deserve more to be League Champs than them or any other club name in the division but if we have to settle for second position than so be it.

Voted to win, a league championship would be mighty deserved and we're more than value for it but don't think Port Vale can or will help us out to any full extent. 3 - 1 away victory.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 06, 2023 7:17 am

Plymouth haven't beaten Port Vale in their last Seven meetings so you never know.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 06, 2023 7:21 am

Plymouth will be well up for it. Win and be champions, its in their own hands. After the season they’ve had, really cannot see Port Vale being an issue in a game where a result properly matters. Praying for the draw, but got to think The Pilgrims will thrash them. 3 or 4 nil and then it’ll be Ginsters Peppered Steak Pasties all round 👍👌

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat May 06, 2023 12:19 pm

If quite like to see Hladkey given a start, would be a nice touch - but I think Walton is competing for the golden glove.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 06, 2023 12:23 pm

shabba wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 12:19 pm
If quite like to see Hladkey given a start, would be a nice touch - but I think Walton is competing for the golden glove.
Rotate on the last day? You mad? :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 06, 2023 1:23 pm

Mckenna out !!!!,

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 06, 2023 11:52 pm

I think McKenna will have them up for this big time especially knowing he can make the EFL record books to be manager of the first club in EFL history to do the 100 points and 100 goals double.

Whilst even a 0-1 win would achieve this I’m expecting a repeat of what we did to Posh and Barnsley and win 0-3 with an exhibition showing of ITFC at its very best.

Whilst it’s not expected I can see Port Vale picking up a point tomorrow especially if they play as well as they did at Portman Road just s few weeks ago. It would definitely be a surprise but surprises and football aren’t uncommon

In the meantime let’s just enjoy it and pray our boys do a demolition job at Fleetwood. I’m certainly looking forward to it. Even if I have got a lot to do preparing to move house.

Prediction 0-3 win to ITFC ⚽️👍⚽️

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 07, 2023 9:45 am

Anyone from the forum at the game? Shed on Tour? Did you travel up yesterday, hotel etc? Toffee apples and donkey rides last night?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 07, 2023 10:49 am

I'm tuning in from sunny Crete !!! COYB'S

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 07, 2023 11:04 am

Morsy not in squad, Ball starts and Donacien in for Clarke.