To Those Who Wanted To See Me Eat Humble Pie........

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

rossi

To Those Who Wanted To See Me Eat Humble Pie........

Post by rossi » Thu May 04, 2023 1:26 pm

I'm on a diet.

I'll give credit to KM for getting us back into the Championship, and for the quality of the football was have played for the last couple of months. I certainly hope that we will win our last game and that Plymouth draw at best. Promotion is what counts, but I'd rather go up as Champions. The way we have played over the past 2 months we deserve to, and certainly with the squad we have (especially after the January transfer window) we ought to have walked it, and I think we would have done so had we started the season with the same approach we used recently. So well done KM and the team.

But to be fair to me, when I suggested we ought to get rid of KM he was still making 4 or 5 changes to the team for every game. That was what was wrong, and at the time I could not see things changing. I was wrong on that. Obviously he had a lightbulb moment when he finally realised that his rotation policy was not working. He always said rotation was necessary as he picked the strongest team according to the opponent. Obviously that is not the best policy - you pick your strongest team according to what you have available and let the opposition worry about that.
Anyway, I'll give him the credit that he suddenly realised that and started to pick his strongest team for every game regardless, and I don't think it any co-incidence that our form and consistency has improved significantly since then.

It amused me reading some of the comments on the Exeter match thread regarding myself - amazing to see that certain people are willing to spout rubbish behind my back based purely on conjecture and lack of knowledge about the person they are criticising, and by people who don't even support Ipswich as their first team. Gave me a really good laugh, so thanks to all who contributed.

Let me just confirm that I am an Ipswich fan through and through - my family are from Felixstowe and my Dad started taking me to home games in 1960, and I have been going ever since. Hell, I lived in the Bahamas for 4 years during the '80s but still managed to get back 5 or 6 times a season to watch a game.

As far as next season goes, I am optimistic that we will at least make the play-offs. Of course we will ship out
certain players who have little value to the squad, but I think we have the nucleus of a very good Championship
team. Maybe 2 or 3 quality signings will be made, but not much else I think.

Ricco

Re: To Those Who Wanted To See Me Eat Humble Pie........

Post by Ricco » Thu May 04, 2023 1:39 pm

I was going to stand up for you in the matchday thread and say at least give the man a chance to defend himself, but turns out I couldn't be bothered in the end. I was going to remind others that you were partaking in a self-enforced hiatus until the end of the season. There's still one more game by the way, so bugger off would ya?

Anyway, welcome back, in my mind everyone is welcome, even those who are a pain in the arse from time to time, so long as people aren't here to deliberately rile people up, all is fair game, and you shouldn't have gone off in a strop in the first place, so good to have you back.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 04, 2023 2:25 pm

Welcome back and fair play for addressing the situation.

For what it is worth, when I got pissed off after the Cambridge game it was for exactly the same reasons, the rotation was ridiculous and counter productive, I don't care who disagrees with it, it was fact, he stopped doing it and the rest is history, its no coincidence. As of now Mckenna is king, just listen sooner next time :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 04, 2023 2:45 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 2:25 pm
its no coincidence.
Since Rossi declared that he was stepping away on the 5th of February, Town have W13 D3 L0 Scored 45 and Conceded 4. Coincidence? We were recently talking about players reading the forums. I'm just saying, I'm not one for conspiracies, I'm just saying.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 04, 2023 3:13 pm

Lol, that's stretching it a bit.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 04, 2023 3:17 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 3:13 pm
Lol, that's stretching it a bit.
Well now he's back I'll be taking the 7/1 for a Fleetwood win this weekend, then you can count how many times I can fly back the Bahamas next season.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu May 04, 2023 3:56 pm

Hi Rossi, welcome back, and your not the only one who may need to eat some pie, I said Plymouth were going to go off the boil, and guess I was wrong lol. I too also admitted early on that maybe Ladapo was not upto scratch and KM needs to have different playing options, yep! wrong again lol.

Everyone to their own opinion mate just sometimes we get it wrong, and we just have to admit it, thats life but the important thing is ITFC are being promoted and the team came good!!!

Hope to see you back a bit more over the Summer and into the new dawn.......

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 04, 2023 4:12 pm

Welcome back Rossi, I just knew it was only a matter of time. I’m not sure for one minute anyone considered they were talking about you behind your back as we knew you’d be peeking in regularly. I assumed others were no different to me in simply trying to provoke a reaction cos we all know you luv us all on here really and would be missing the crack. That said you must admit some of your anti McKenna comments were a bit daft.

As for his rotation policy I don’t think any of us on here were ever a fan of it but maybe his use of it was what was needed to identify where the squad needed strengthening in the January window. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that soon after that window closed and he’d brought in Luongo, Clarke, Broadhead & Hirst, his rotation of players reduced significantly. That said it would appear nearly all the top managers reduce the use of player rotation as the season progresses and becomes clearer to them what their strongest line up looks like.

Anyway Rossi it’s good to have you back even if we do see things differently sometimes.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu May 04, 2023 4:27 pm

It’s good to see you back Rossi. We all get things wrong sometimes, me more than most, but the forum would be a boring place if we all sung from the same hymn sheet. Good luck with your move abroad as well.

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu May 04, 2023 4:28 pm

Welcome back Rossi

Main thing is you are fit and well or at least okay.

I always agreed with you concerning the previous owner and that regime. Now though onwards and upwards. I have to admit the what seemed anti Wes Burns I couldn't understand, but we all have lets say our favourites players and less favourites

Glad to see you once again Rossi

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 04, 2023 7:05 pm

Well if its a confession session, then yeah, I laid in to the defence and thought they'd made a huge error in not recruiting another CB to get us over the line. Defence record has been OK in recent week I guess. On the flip side, when we signed Broadhead I did say if he stays fit, we go up, so kind of levels itself out right??!

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Thu May 04, 2023 8:59 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 1:26 pm
I'm on a diet.

It amused me reading some of the comments on the Exeter match thread regarding myself - amazing to see that certain people are willing to spout rubbish behind my back based purely on conjecture and lack of knowledge about the person they are criticising, and by people who don't even support Ipswich as their first team. Gave me a really good laugh, so thanks to all who contributed.

to be honest Rossi, Ipswich Town dont even come 2nd on teams i support, :lol: :lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 04, 2023 9:30 pm

Maybe McKenna stopped his rotation (it was mostly amongst the strikers as he searched for that chemistry ), once the striker he’d always wanted, started to bed into the team after his January arrival? Hirst has rarely been out of the side once he got his match fitness up to scratch, having played so little football before Christmas. That front three with him in it (for me) has an almost subliminal understanding between them, which does not appear to be there when Freddie is the number 9.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 04, 2023 9:33 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 7:05 pm
Well if its a confession session, then yeah, I laid in to the defence and thought they'd made a huge error in not recruiting another CB to get us over the line. Defence record has been OK in recent week I guess. On the flip side, when we signed Broadhead I did say if he stays fit, we go up, so kind of levels itself out right??!
I think we must recruit in the CB positions for next season. Burgess isn’t bad, but Woolfie is not a CB I trust frankly, and the same goes for Edmundson. Keogh isn’t even in the equation now.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri May 05, 2023 8:37 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:33 pm
Ricco wrote:
I think we must recruit in the CB positions for next season. Burgess isn’t bad, but Woolfie is not a CB I trust frankly, and the same goes for Edmundson. Keogh isn’t even in the equation now.
Liz, I think the fact that we have conceded only 4 goals in the last 16 games speaks volumes for the defence we have - IMHO Woolfie and Burgess have benefitted massively from playing tohether consistently, I expect them to be the first choice pairing for the start of next season and think they will grow into the demands at Championshop level, although I agree we need at least one decent backup for them so maybe a new central defender will be brought in. On the face of things, we have a pretty good squad going into next season, the one question for me is whether or not certain players who are holding their own in League 1 can do so at a higher level - time will tell I guess.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri May 05, 2023 9:04 am

rossi wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:37 am
hallamblue wrote:
Ricco wrote:
Liz, I think the fact that we have conceded only 4 goals in the last 16 games speaks volumes for the defence we have - IMHO Woolfie and Burgess have benefitted massively from playing tohether consistently, I expect them to be the first choice pairing for the start of next season and think they will grow into the demands at Championshop level, although I agree we need at least one decent backup for them so maybe a new central defender will be brought in. On the face of things, we have a pretty good squad going into next season, the one question for me is whether or not certain players who are holding their own in League 1 can do so at a higher level - time will tell I guess.
Million pound question, but I think the bookies think the squad is well placed to tackle the championship and I think we have recruited well with the Championship in mind, rather than just players that will see us over the line this season. Woolfenden is only 24, so it stands to reason that he will be a better player next year than he will this. They've proven themselves capable as a pair, it's just what happens if we start shipping goals, we need to change things, maybe we even move to a 5 at the back. So they do need to bring at least one more CB as you say, but why does that need to be a backup, you may as well buy the best you can and then just see what plays out.

More long term I'm concerned about centrally, Morsy/Luongo, they're 31 and 30, so maybe I'm being unfair, maybe they can manage another 3 or 4 seasons at Championship level, but you've got to consider it being a rough position for aging legs and they're going to have to do a lot as running as we won't dominate possession as much as we have this year.

And then centre forward, it's interesting that Hirst scored a lot less than Ladapo, but the team was far more successful, he brings that harrying and physicality that stretches defences in the way Ladapo's game doesn't. So we would probably be after a player of his ilk. Hirst is 24, so again, he should be improving, but in a team that was dismantling the division, I'm not sure he scored enough for me to think he'll be getting 10+ in a Championship season, I'd like to see him back here, but I wouldn't offering Leicester much.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri May 05, 2023 9:57 am

Ricco wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 9:04 am
rossi wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:37 am
hallamblue wrote:

Million pound question, but I think the bookies think the squad is well placed to tackle the championship and I think we have recruited well with the Championship in mind, rather than just players that will see us over the line this season. Woolfenden is only 24, so it stands to reason that he will be a better player next year than he will this. They've proven themselves capable as a pair, it's just what happens if we start shipping goals, we need to change things, maybe we even move to a 5 at the back. So they do need to bring at least one more CB as you say, but why does that need to be a backup, you may as well buy the best you can and then just see what plays out.

More long term I'm concerned about centrally, Morsy/Luongo, they're 31 and 30, so maybe I'm being unfair, maybe they can manage another 3 or 4 seasons at Championship level, but you've got to consider it being a rough position for aging legs and they're going to have to do a lot as running as we won't dominate possession as much as we have this year.

And then centre forward, it's interesting that Hirst scored a lot less than Ladapo, but the team was far more successful, he brings that harrying and physicality that stretches defences in the way Ladapo's game doesn't. So we would probably be after a player of his ilk. Hirst is 24, so again, he should be improving, but in a team that was dismantling the division, I'm not sure he scored enough for me to think he'll be getting 10+ in a Championship season, I'd like to see him back here, but I wouldn't offering Leicester much.
I consider that I reached my physical peak aged around 35 (many many years ago), so I would not worry about Morsy and Luongo not being able to keep up with the pace. And we've plenty of backup in midfield, I'd say it's he one area we definitely do not need to strenghthen. You're right, Hirst offers something that Ladapo does not, and I think that shows recently in games before and after the 60 minute mark. If Leicester will not let him sign for us, I would not be at all surprised to see us make an approach for Clarke-Harris.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 05, 2023 10:20 am

It's well documented that I've never been Woolfys biggest fan but I have to concede that the last 6 to 8 games he has been excellent, maybe he's a slow developer but as Rossi says playing in a settled partnership is most likely the reason, I suggest he will be a starter next August when we kick off again, its no secret McKenna rates him highly.

Regarding the strikers, Hirst definitely brings something different to the team that Ladapo doesn't and as such I'd be happy with both of them here, what we do have to remember is Ladapo is a seasoned pro at Championship level and has proved he can score goals at this level where as Hirst has not been close to doing that. I also think any half decent striker would have walked into this Town team when he did and look good, we were flying after all.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri May 05, 2023 10:36 am

rossi wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 9:57 am
I consider that I reached my physical peak aged around 35
With all due respect, you weren't a professional footballer Rossi!

Average age of a professional is 26, most would consider peak physicality to be about 28 and a decline from 30, very few are able to perform around 34 or older, Milner and Moutinho are the only two in CMs in the Prem who fit that category. You may have been fit and healthy at 35, but you didn't have 20 years of pummelling training and games behind you, the level of physicality of the modern game is different world.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 05, 2023 1:49 pm

Sorry to pee on everyone’s parade , but physiologically, we reach our “ peak” but the tender age of just 26yrs…it’s all down hill from there on in … :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 05, 2023 2:03 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:20 am
It's well documented that I've never been Woolfys biggest fan but I have to concede that the last 6 to 8 games he has been excellent, maybe he's a slow developer but as Rossi says playing in a settled partnership is most likely the reason, I suggest he will be a starter next August when we kick off again, its no secret McKenna rates him highly.

Regarding the strikers, Hirst definitely brings something different to the team that Ladapo doesn't and as such I'd be happy with both of them here, what we do have to remember is Ladapo is a seasoned pro at Championship level and has proved he can score goals at this level where as Hirst has not been close to doing that. I also think any half decent striker would have walked into this Town team when he did and look good, we were flying after all.

We’ve talked about Woolfie on a few occasions Mike as you know. I find him a bit of a conundrum. He is clearly pivotal in McKenna’s approach to building up play fr9m the back, and how we keep possession. Woolfie is usually the one to start that move, usually witch a short side pass to Clarke/ Burns, or a mid length pass directly forward if the gap appears, to Morsy/ Luongo. This is fine. I have no issue with this.

My concerns are his DEFENDING abilities. I think he falls short here. He can’t header a ball ( it usually goes straight up in the air). His judgement of a dangerous situation, and whether to deal with the ball or Marshall the attacker is a mixed bag, and often he doesn’t deal with things. He has a tendency to look, (be?) com placement on the ball and then either has to make a recovery move or rely on Burgess to bail out the fallout. I don’t think he deals with balls into the box particularly well, ie he doesn’t command that 18yard area anywhere like Burgess does, ( who I view as adequate only). I think both of our CB’s will be found out next season with better strikers up against them. I feel our actual defence has by and large looked “ok” mainly done to the team’s ability to hold onto possession. We were constantly getting caught out usually by the first opponents attack and conceding. This has changed since Luongo came into the side. I don’t think our actual CB’s defending is any “better”. They are just better protected by the MF combination.

We will see what happens next season I guess. I’d like our current CB’s to be able to do the business… but I do have my doubts. I also don’t rate Edmundson, again due to poor decision making and getting caught up field in possession. Personally I’d sell him. But we need at least 2 more decent CB’s for next season.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Fri May 05, 2023 2:04 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 1:49 pm
Sorry to pee on everyone’s parade , but physiologically, we reach our “ peak” but the tender age of just 26yrs…it’s all down hill from there on in … :lol:
Oh dear I've been going down hill for 50 years then 😀 .

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 05, 2023 3:04 pm

Don’t worry , I reckon I’ll be waaay ahead of you on that front ! :lol:

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Mon May 08, 2023 4:31 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 1:49 pm
Well that's just thoroughly depressed me on a Monday afternoon :(

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 08, 2023 8:29 pm

Sorry mugen! :lol: But it is the science speaking, not me . Stay off the sugar and you’ll reduce your body’s inflammation and “ ageing”…. If you want to know what glucose (sugar) does to us take a look at Jessie Inchauspé (a French biochemist) … she’s spoken at length in a podcast with Stephen Bartlett (Diary of a CEO), which is very good. She also has a FB account . She called herself Glucose Goddess . Sounds a bit flaky but she’s studied in genetics and biochemistry in America. Makes interesting listening .. well it did to me anyway :lol:

Ps I’m assuming you’re 27yr !!! :wink:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 08, 2023 10:04 pm

The only sugar I want is from a sugar momma! :lol: :blush: