Winners of the league one play offs?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Who will win the League One Play off?

Poll ended at Tue May 23, 2023 10:20 am

Sheffield Wednesday
19%
Barnsley
19%
Bolton
31%
Peterborough
31%

Total votes: 16

Cabanas Blue

Re: Winners of the league one play offs?

Post by Cabanas Blue » Thu May 18, 2023 10:02 pm

Extra time good game well done Sheff Wed but Barnsley will get promoted IMO.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 18, 2023 10:16 pm

Is it penalties or extra time now guys ? Anyone know?

Lol should have read your post !!!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu May 18, 2023 11:11 pm

Wednesday win 5-3 on pens Liz

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 19, 2023 1:00 am

A pub league playoff…10 goals! SW don’t deserve to go up. I don’t care what they did for the season. I’ll be cheering for Barnsley or Bolton to go up.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 19, 2023 5:35 am

Fix

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 19, 2023 7:24 am

Makes you wonder doesn’t it !

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri May 19, 2023 8:29 am

I am just astonished Posh never performed on the night with so much at stake, good comeback by Sheff weds but hopefully they will be disappointed come the final.

Barnsley to go up!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 19, 2023 8:33 am

hallamblue wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:24 am
Makes you wonder doesn’t it !
Let's play extra time until Wednesday score a 4th lol.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 19, 2023 8:35 am

Lol felt like that . I’m getting stick for suggesting elsewhere lol :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 19, 2023 8:38 am

Wednesday did bloody well over the normal season and deserve it, I just cannot abide the way their patronising fans were giving it large back in March !! I want Barnsley to beat them tbh.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 19, 2023 8:54 am

Mauswara wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:03 am
The good Mr Bloom has his say on the matter:
https://youtu.be/iQnwd2rsvqQ
Good read CB, and yes believe it or not I’ve changed my mind and agree with him. I think my view was an emotional one thinking of how I’d have felt had we finished 3rd on 98 points.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 19, 2023 7:30 pm

From the start of the season I always wanted Town and Wednesday to finish first and second to win automatic promotion. For me neither club sits properly in League One, both have decent traditional grounds and a good following of fans with good match day atmosphere and will be a credit to the Championship. I’ve always had a soft spot for The Owls made firmer with two good golf mates who’ve both played for Wednesday and always made me welcome on trips to Hillsborough. I know what you say about their fans Mike but we have more than our fair share of those which are equally as dislikable as does every football club. They will also have lots of decent folk and some like Hallam who constantly doubt what will be achieved and are overjoyed when it happens. I’ll certainly be rooting for them in the final and see them as the best fit from the 3 teams still in the frame, but to be honest all three remaining stand a better chance of staying up than Peterborough.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri May 19, 2023 9:18 pm

Seriously what is this about - looks like Bolton have max 1500 fans in that away end at Barnsley?! It’s the biggest game of their season and surely it’s not far to travel?
Plus there were right in the tie at 1-1 etc.

We took 5k and could have likely taken more!

If you can’t turn up for these games what does that say about your fan base?!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 19, 2023 9:47 pm

Tin pot club

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 19, 2023 9:56 pm

Unfortunately Bolton is quite a deprived area and unless you have a car the journey across The Pennines to Barnsley isn’t easy despite the distance being only 10 miles and 10 mins more than travel from Ipswich to Norwich.

As it stands it’s looking like all South Yorkshire Final which for me was the most attractive outcome from the original line up and a classic Final. If the EFL have any sense they’ll also look for a neutral Northern venue to make it easier for the fans to get to and afford especially if it’s another rail strike weekend and ridiculous ticket prices.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 19, 2023 10:05 pm

Ellend Rd would seem logical !

C’ Mon Tykes 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 19, 2023 10:06 pm

shabba wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:18 pm
Seriously what is this about - looks like Bolton have max 1500 fans in that away end at Barnsley?! It’s the biggest game of their season and surely it’s not far to travel?

Is it on tv?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 19, 2023 10:10 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:05 pm
Ellend Rd would seem logical !

C’ Mon Tykes 👍
Perfect I would think Liz 👍

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri May 19, 2023 10:15 pm

Ah fair point and makes me feel bad, I probably take for granted the cost of a game for some might be alot.

It was on sky tv here, watched the second half.
Last edited by shabba on Fri May 19, 2023 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 19, 2023 10:15 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:06 pm
shabba wrote:

Is it on tv?
Sky Sports 1 Liz. Second half no shots on target from either side . Bolton 67% possession just shows how important that stat is.

Interestingly Barnsley did the double over Wednesday in the league so must be favourites to win, definitely the prospect of a very good final.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri May 19, 2023 10:30 pm

shabba wrote:

They sold out their allocation. Apparently it was agreed by both clubs that only 2000 + would be given to away fans for both legs.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 19, 2023 11:48 pm

What was the point of that thought? Unless you have Sky it meant you couldn’t watch it on tv.

Is the PO final going to be on bbc/ itv ?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat May 20, 2023 12:31 am

Kind of shame Bolton didn't make it. We had some epic ties with them in '99 and 2000 at these stages, one win each, and a club name of that stature doesn't really belong in the Third League of English "football". Aren't they founder members of the football league or something. What the f*ck have Barnsley achieved compared to them. It's a pity, but seems they weren't motivated for today. Chose hell of an occasion to take a day off.

Sheffield Wednesday another big name of years back. Guess there were certain sections took some delight in the first game score at Peterborough but only made to look like fools when the Yorkshireites staged an epic turnaround to redeem themselves and provide a game and result of some real magnitude.

I'd favor Wednesday to win the final game. Why, because they just seem more tailored to a promotion / playing second league level than their opponents. You may not like some of the teams involved this year but from personal experience ('97 - 2005) the play-off games are a nasty business for the losers with real tangible upset and sense of loss. Got to show a level of apathy to the beaten few, same goes for Championship and Level Two also.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat May 20, 2023 7:32 am

hallamblue wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 11:48 pm
What was the point of that thought? Unless you have Sky it meant you couldn’t watch it on tv.

On Sky. Regarding the allocation for away fans for the 2 legs, Bolton were willing to give the entire away end at the University Of Bolton Stadium to Barnsley if they could have the same for the return game at Oakwell. However, Barnsley wouldn’t agree to this and therefore they settled on the 2000+ allocations. It is thought that Barnsley wanted to maximise home advantage for the 2nd leg and did not want a case like when we went there with 5,000 fans and virtually turned it into a home game for Town with the noise level created by our supporters.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat May 20, 2023 7:55 am

Good info chaps!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 20, 2023 9:55 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 7:32 am
hallamblue wrote:

On Sky. Regarding the allocation for away fans for the 2 legs, Bolton were willing to give the entire away end at the University Of Bolton Stadium to Barnsley if they could have the same for the return game at Oakwell. However, Barnsley wouldn’t agree to this and therefore they settled on the 2000+ allocations. It is thought that Barnsley wanted to maximise home advantage for the 2nd leg and did not want a case like when we went there with 5,000 fans and virtually turned it into a home game for Town with the noise level created by our supporters.
We’d have turned it into a home game with just 2,000 fans lol . Noisy sods we are :D

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat May 20, 2023 10:18 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 9:55 am
Shed on tour wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

We’d have turned it into a home game with just 2,000 fans lol . Noisy sods we are :D
Liz, I have to say the atmosphere created by our fans at Oakwell that night was as good as anything I can remember at a away game in my 50 plus years of following Town. 5,000 of us doing the bouncy bouncy in the away end, and even I managed to do a couple of jumps! :lol:

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat May 20, 2023 12:56 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:30 pm
From the start of the season I always wanted Town and Wednesday to finish first and second to win automatic promotion. For me neither club sits properly in League One, both have decent traditional grounds and a good following of fans with good match day atmosphere and will be a credit to the Championship. I’ve always had a soft spot for The Owls made firmer with two good golf mates who’ve both played for Wednesday and always made me welcome on trips to Hillsborough. I know what you say about their fans Mike but we have more than our fair share of those which are equally as dislikable as does every football club. They will also have lots of decent folk and some like Hallam who constantly doubt what will be achieved and are overjoyed when it happens. I’ll certainly be rooting for them in the final and see them as the best fit from the 3 teams still in the frame, but to be honest all three remaining stand a better chance of staying up than Peterborough.
100% agree. Sheff wed deserve to go up and hope Darren Moore gets his rewards given the disgraceful abuse directed at him.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 20, 2023 2:09 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 10:18 am
hallamblue wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 9:55 am
Shed on tour wrote:

Liz, I have to say the atmosphere created by our fans at Oakwell that night was as good as anything I can remember at a away game in my 50 plus years of following Town. 5,000 of us doing the bouncy bouncy in the away end, and even I managed to do a couple of jumps! :lol:
I bet yer knees are still recovering lol :lol:

I think Town fans efforts didn’t go unnoticed by the Barnsley fans either.