Winners of the league one play offs?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Who will win the League One Play off?

Poll ended at Tue May 23, 2023 10:20 am

Sheffield Wednesday
19%
Barnsley
19%
Bolton
31%
Peterborough
31%

Total votes: 16

arana peligrosa

Re: Winners of the league one play offs?

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat May 13, 2023 2:14 am

Wasn't aware of any game played today involving these. We got a promotion, all else that goes on seems immaterial or it isn't our concern. Just want to leave this division behind, had a f**king fill of it.

Something wrong when a team that finishes 20 (twenty) points behind another after nine months hard effort picks up a standout win and on the verge of eliminating the other but what can you do. I got no issue with Sheffield Wednesday, they're an established club name that goes back way over a century. Some may have a problem with them but kind of sympathize today's setback, I think they deserve better.

This piece of sh*t league is a long hard trek for all involved. All right we got a promotion with maybe something to spare but took a moment to show empathy for (some) other fans plight and experience. I got no real preference who wins the thing outright but Bolton with a big Wembley win already this season, either they deserve another, or maybe allow someone else a chance.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat May 13, 2023 2:53 am

For the first time this season I feel a crumb of sympathy for the Wednesday fans. What a cruel and crazy reversal of fortunes

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 13, 2023 5:38 am

I don't, hilarious, they had it wrapped up according to them and were giving it large to Town and Plymouth so karma to them all.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat May 13, 2023 7:49 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 5:38 am
I don't, hilarious, they had it wrapped up according to them and were giving it large to Town and Plymouth so karma to them all.
I knew you'd say that!

Yeah agree they've been arrogant and entitled (something they accuse us of interestingly) and their demise is pretty amusing.

But to miss out with enough points to win the league last year, and then get dumped out by a team who accrued 19 less. You got to feel a bit of sympathy. In truth, they're a big club and probably should be in the division above in terms of numbers of supporters

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 13, 2023 8:11 am

For a second there Johnny I thought "am I being harsh "
But nope.... fcuk em :lol:

Rodenbach Ex-pat

Post by Rodenbach Ex-pat » Sat May 13, 2023 10:02 am

And just to think that it could have so easily been a demoralised us in these playoffs instead of Wednesday. Phew! :shock:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 13, 2023 11:34 am

For me Wednesdays situation sums up all that’s wrong with the lottery of the play offs. Some may think it’s funny when it happens to another team but it could so easily have been us and had it been I’m not sure how we’d have dealt with it. I’m much prefer to see a straight three up three down scenario or the German formula described by Rodenbach where 3rd bottom of the higher league, plays 3rd placed from the lower league over two legs. This would be much fairer and far more equitable.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 13, 2023 11:51 am

It isn't about being funny that it happened to them more the fact they were lauding it at already being up and giving it large and taking the p*ss, well what goes around........

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat May 13, 2023 12:05 pm

My comment wasn’t aimed at you or anyone in particular Mike, I just hate the play offs unless it’s us trying to find a way up through the back door and striking lucky. We’ve seen the 5th or 6th ranked team promoted on many occasion with way less points than the teams above them and for me it isn’t right and stinks of greed.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat May 13, 2023 12:21 pm

I'm not bothered about who goes up in the play offs, but if pushed I'd say Barnsley.
For me the system is an unfair one. If it's going to be the 4 team format then why can't the 3rd & 4th placed sides play a single home game against the 5th & 6th sides respectively. This gives a bit more advantage to the higher placed sides.
Not that it would happen, how about the 3rd place side goes straight to a Wembley final, while the 4th place side plays at home to the 5th placed side for the right to go to Wembley?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 13, 2023 12:49 pm

Not direct, but almost direct quote from a buddy re SheffWed when they were clear at the top with games in hand.
“We’ll find a way to fk it up, we always do….”

Barring a borderline miracle @ Hillsborough, they’ve fkd it up in style. Water off a ducks back to him though. It was like he was “conditioned” before becoming a Hibs fan.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat May 13, 2023 1:06 pm

I must admit owstalk was a good read today.

I know where you are coming from Andy (and agree), but I guess we have been down for so long, I just think like Mike it’s karma.

I think the Barnsley orBolton fans will be happier with the thought of not playing Wednesday at Wembley.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat May 13, 2023 1:07 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 8:11 am
For a second there Johnny I thought "am I being harsh "
But nope.... fcuk em :lol:
To put it into perspective, they will go into their third season in L1 next season, whereas we have had to endure four seasons of pain. So they haven't got that much to moan about.

Their approach this season nearly worked. A team of tough old pros under a pragmatic, genile manager. They'd obviously looked at how Rotherham and Wigan had done it the season before, and took note. And up until March it was all going to plan: they were bossing the league and churning out 1-0s. In another season it would have been enough.

Now we can alll see what a mistake they made by not strengthening in January but at the time it was pretty surreal watching them fall apart. Without one or two key players they were fatally diminished. Meanwhile Town strengthened and started killing it and Plymouth refused to give up.

Now they need to regroup. And their biggest problem is they're a busted flush, an old and injury prone squad who have proved to be not quite good enough. As they are, I wouldn't give them much chance of competing at the top of L1 next year. I expect Derby to be a force and the likes of Wigan, Wycombe and 3/4 of the payoff hopefuls will make it a highly competitive league again. SW will need to strip out the deadwood, strengthen and give it all time to gel. I'm not sure if their fans will be patient with that.

So they're in a hole. But without the vision and bravery of Ashton and McKenna (and yes a few well spent quid) we might have found ourselves in a similar spot.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 13, 2023 3:12 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong here , but aren’t Weds in some big financial hole and getting out of it THIS season was almost a must for them?

I actually haven’t rated Wedscst all. To me, they’re a typical bullish, in use face league one outfit that rely heavily on a physical approach. I think they’ve ridden their “ luck” in a few games this season, and maybe they’ve just run out of steam ( thinking they’d won promotion back in March. Took their foot off the gas snd couldn’t get it back on again when we started to click.
Move found the Plymouth and Weds fans believably arrogant, based on what, I’m not sure.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat May 13, 2023 9:06 pm

Wednesday will have to beat Posh 5-0 and I Cant see Darren Ferguson letting that happen, I still think it will be a Bolton v Posh playoff final and Posh getting promoted, I can't see how but usually when a 6th place team make a sudden change in the playoffs they typically come out on top, I mean when we played Posh they were sh*t

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun May 14, 2023 1:07 am

From a neutrals perspective, the play offs are great! I think it also generates interest when the season is seemingly over. Is it fair?…probably not, but that’s part & parcel. Ultimately, if your team wants to go up they have to perform. We’ve obviously been on the wrong end of that numerous times, but you have to admit it’s more exciting than automatic promotion for the top three?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 14, 2023 7:58 am

Thd play offs are the biggest lottery going. Rarely does the 3rd placed team go up bvizvthdm I think. In fact if you look at this seasons PO’s the 3rd placed team - done times 10-15 points ahead of 6th placed , ebb no da up losing to them , such is the psychological disadvantage of “ just missing out” to “ just making the PO”. But most of all it’s a money spinner, pure and simple.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 14, 2023 9:39 am

Exactly Liz, but in my opinion it should be a money spinner for the three best clubs over 46 games not a money spinner for the EFL or the 6th placed club that finished 19 points behind the 3rd and got lucky over 90 minutes. Maybe slightly exaggerated but makes my point.

So pleased we had that great run in that many thought was impossible, I don’t think I could have coped with being dumped out of the play offs by Peterborough especially if we were 19 points ahead of them over the season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 14, 2023 9:48 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 9:06 pm
Wednesday will have to beat Posh 5-0 and I Cant see Darren Ferguson letting that happen.
Yes, that’d be some capitulation. Not sure he’d be able to sit at the Christmas dinner table with his dad ever again if that happens.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 14, 2023 10:53 am

The thing is when a competition begins in August everyone knows the situation regarding the Top Two going up and the rest enter a lottery, while it may be seen as being a bit harsh or unfair its what is the reality from the off. Maybe a team getting thumped 4-0 by a very poor Peterborough side aren't worthy of going up anyway ?

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Mon May 15, 2023 12:24 am

The play-offs keep the season alive for a good number of clubs and their fans, without them the season would long since have petered out for most of those teams.

But what I would really like to see is a reverse play-off for relegation. Bottom two automatically relegated, but the next four teams play each other to see who gets the drop. For the premiership that would mean 15th to 18th are involved. The two losers play each other and the loser of that goes down.

If I look where that table is now, it would make for some very interesting matches.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 15, 2023 1:07 am

Mauswara wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 12:24 am
The play-offs keep the season alive for a good number of clubs and their fans, without them the season would long since have petered out for most of those teams.

But what I would really like to see is a reverse play-off for relegation. Bottom two automatically relegated, but the next four teams play each other to see who gets the drop. For the premiership that would mean 15th to 18th are involved. The two losers play each other and the loser of that goes down.

If I look where that table is now, it would make for some very interesting matches.
I like that!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 15, 2023 11:07 am

It'd interfere with the refs bung cash in the Everton v Wolves & Bournemouth games. Not a hope in hell of those relegation ideas happening........, but agreed, great idea.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 15, 2023 6:58 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 12:24 am

Why do four clubs and their fans need a longer season than the other 20 clubs. I’m quite happy to have a summer break and I’m sure the players and their families are too. My guess is they’re all back to full pre season training and pre season tours come the beginning of July which will leave the play off finalist clubs with as short a break as 4 weeks.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Wed May 17, 2023 2:03 am

The good Mr Bloom has his say on the matter:
https://youtu.be/iQnwd2rsvqQ

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 17, 2023 7:35 am

Mauswara wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:03 am
The good Mr Bloom has his say on the matter:
https://youtu.be/iQnwd2rsvqQ
Yes, great stuff. With the guy 100%. Keep it as it is as it adds plenty excitement. The “wow” factor regards the Owls & Notts County being miles ahead and then thumped is superb……. Not so good if it was Ipswich, but still ——>> all teams one day will experience heartache. Law of averages and all that.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Thu May 18, 2023 8:29 pm

Wednesday 2-0 after 26 mins game on.

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster » Thu May 18, 2023 9:36 pm

3-0 now ....

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 18, 2023 9:58 pm

In the 6th min of injury time ….

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 18, 2023 9:59 pm

4-0 ffs!!!