Thoughts on Hirst

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Cabanas Blue

Thoughts on Hirst

Post by Cabanas Blue » Tue May 09, 2023 1:57 pm

Most seem to think Town should sign him I'm not so sure he has improved but he will have to again if he's going to cut it in the Championship, he played 43 times in the Championship without scoring Ladapo scored 9 times also from 43 games but he's a better player now IMO. Thoughts?

number 9

Re: Thoughts on Hirst

Post by number 9 » Tue May 09, 2023 2:10 pm

It really depends on how much money Leicester would want for him. I like him as an out and out striker, but he's no Haaland! We've scored a lot of goals in league one, and it will be interesting to see if we can emulate that in the Championship. We certainly shouldn't break the bank for Hirst, and I feel comfortable that MA/KM will make the right decisions.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue May 09, 2023 2:31 pm

I’ve always felt it’s about combinations, snd gif me the whole front three are much more fluid and dynamic with Hirst in st number 9. I think he had more in his locker than he’s currently showing and he’s quick and strong. Don’t think we can rely any one player to get the goals .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 09, 2023 3:18 pm

To be honest I wasn't keen on him at the start, his performances were average but in fairness he wasn't match fit, he has improved and grown on me, a couple of his performances were excellent.

The thing I can't get out of my head is the fact he turned us down in the Hope of something better and only came here when there was very little else on offer, maybe we have grown on him too ? Who knows. I just get the feeling he thinks he is better than what he is but at the end of the day it is Leicester that hold all the aces, if he comes here all well and good but if he doesn't I won't be too upset. Win win for me really.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue May 09, 2023 3:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 3:18 pm
Win win for me really.
Yes win win, but there is another scenario where Ipswich decide to spend a huge amount on him. I don't think that will happen, but that's not a win scenario.

He was decent, he was improving, could improve further and his general play helped the team, but we don't need him if Leicester get silly with valuations. May well keep him if they go down anyway.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue May 09, 2023 4:19 pm

Depends on the wages and fee, if we can get him for say 2.5m or less and say 15k or so a week then fine. But I think he is on 20k+ a week, which may change if they go down though.

Still I''d much rather have him that Bishop for example.

We really have no idea how high the owners are setting their bar for the season ahead.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Tue May 09, 2023 4:24 pm

The 43 championship games without scoring is a worry but at 24 years old he should still improve but the price needs to be a good bit under 2 million.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu May 11, 2023 5:41 pm

I wasn’t impressed when we signed George Hirst but he’s grown on me the more I’ve seen him play. He has a lot of pace and can shoot much quicker than most strikers, he can also vary the way he plays and is rarely static. I’d be more than happy to see him stay permanently as long as the fee is sensible, but I suspect Leicester will want to keep him and offload a couple of their more senior strikers on big wages. Burnley sold £77m worth of Premiership players following their relegation last season without affecting their chances of bouncing straight back which may influence Leicester City to think they can do the same.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun May 14, 2023 2:53 pm

There's just too much by way of competition. At one time we had a clear deficiency of attacking options and now we got more alternatives than care to mention. Can't believe the statistic about Hirst not scoring at second league level for so long but as mentioned he's young and still has something to offer.

Depends who goes in the summer and the options we got in time for August. Hirst has done OK in his time here but whatever he hoped to achieve has been overshadowed by others such as Ladapo, Chaplin, even Broadhead to some extent. Suppose how much do Leicester want him back and want price would they want in exchange for a sale.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun May 14, 2023 3:45 pm

Have to say reading this "Hirst has done OK "..Just OK? Lets break it down, it's not just the goals but who against and the signific of the goals.

Scoring away against Bolton, 1st goal, totally superb sweet volley.

Scoring at home against Shrewsbury Town, 1st goal, great header

Scoring away at Derby. 2nd goal, basically finishing the game off, another great taken sweet goal

Scoring at home against Wycombe Wanderers, 1st goal header from a great corner

Scoring away at Barnsley, 2nd goal, possibly best goal of the lot for him. Great strength, pace and finish

Scoring at home against Exeter City, 3rd goal, great desire to finish off great move

All these goals apart from one arguably goal against Exeter were meaningful, Important. Either got Ipswich going being 1st goal or solidate a winning position. All goals are great, don't get me wrong but so much more important in scoring early than say the 6th goal in 86th minute

Just saying he "did OK" for me is underwhelming his input to the season since February onwards

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sun May 14, 2023 3:48 pm

I can't see how Leicester will want hirst back .they have parachute payments and need a swift return to premier ship .and can't gamble on a slow start so they want a proven striker and one with premier ship experience. So rest assured .we will have hirst at ipswich

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun May 14, 2023 4:02 pm

Steve wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 3:45 pm
Have to say reading this "Hirst has done OK "..Just OK?
I think when people say that kind of thing it's probably that we have the Championship in mind now. He's done well in league 1, but what does that mean a step up?

And it's quantity not quality that is most important with goals, I'd rather he scored twice as many and have them bounce in off his arse while he's looking the other way!

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun May 14, 2023 4:45 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 4:02 pm
Steve wrote:
I think when people say that kind of thing it's probably that we have the Championship in mind now. He's done well in league 1, but what does that mean a step up?

And it's quantity not quality that is most important with goals, I'd rather he scored twice as many and have them bounce in off his arse while he's looking the other way!
Yes but can only go on what seen so far. He's done far better than just OK at Town under this manager and his coaching staff.
Who knows about next season but he looks strong, he looks quick and he looks like he can finish.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun May 14, 2023 4:45 pm

Ricco wrote:
Steve wrote:

I think what he's trying to say is those goals were more important and got us going in a competitive match than maybe some other goals where tbe match was already won.

If a striker scores the 5th and 6th goals in a 6-0 win is that more important than 1 goal in a 1-0 win? So quantity isnt necessarily more important than quality. Hirst is usually starting and playing against 2 fresh CBs. When he comes off after 60-70 minutes, those CBs are usually worn out. I think he's done better than OK.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun May 14, 2023 4:59 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 4:45 pm
Ricco wrote:
Steve wrote:

I think what he's trying to say is those goals were more important and got us going in a competitive match than maybe some other goals where tbe match was already won.

If a striker scores the 5th and 6th goals in a 6-0 win is that more important than 1 goal in a 1-0 win? So quantity isnt necessarily more important than quality. Hirst is usually starting and playing against 2 fresh CBs. When he comes off after 60-70 minutes, those CBs are usually worn out. I think he's done better than OK.

Thank you Tang and spot on
Not taking anything away from the other players at all, All done brilliantly.