Solskjaer on KMc

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Cabanas Blue

Solskjaer on KMc

Post by Cabanas Blue » Wed May 10, 2023 1:00 pm

Former Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjær has been speaking about Town manager Kieran McKenna and his assistant Martyn Pert, who were members of his staff at Old Trafford.

McKenna was already with the Red Devils when Solskjær took over as manager in December 2018 having previously worked alongside Jose Mourinho.

“Kieran is another who I want to be successful and I’m glad he got Ipswich Town promoted in his first full season in management and not just because my brother-in-law is a massive Ipswich fan!” Solskjær told The Athletic for an article discussing his old United coaches, including Middlesbrough’s Michael Carrick as well as McKenna and Pert.

0:00
/
0:00

“Ipswich played a friendly in Kristiansund in the 1960s [a 7-0 win in May 1965 under Bill McGarry] and his grandad became an Ipswich fan and it comes from there.

“Kieran was a surprise to me when I got to United. Michael, I already knew. We’d been coached by Sir Alex [Ferguson], from the old school. Kieran was not. He’s the most thorough and analytical, step-by-step, process-driven coach that I’ve worked with.

“He makes it so easy for the players to see and understand what we wanted from them. He’d do that the day before a game and his memory was also fantastic, his eye for detail too.

“One of his strong points was defensive organisation and I let him be in charge of that in training. I learned from him about defensive shape and how not to concede. So I wasn’t surprised that he went nine games without conceding this season. Not one goal. Then they conceded one horror goal, before carrying on keeping clean sheets.

“Kieran would have unit meetings with the players and go through videos. He was more focused on when the team didn’t have possession, whereas Michael was about when the team did have possession. They gave the players the detail I wanted them to have before a game.”

Solskjær and Carrick attended Town's game at Doncaster in February 2022 and McKenna has said he regularly speaks with his former colleagues with the former England midfielder a close friend.

Regarding Pert, who he brought on to his Old Trafford staff in December 2019, Solskjær added: “He’s working with Martyn Pert. One of the first things I look for when I take someone on is integrity. Martyn and I did the Pro Licence coaching badge together.

“When I got the Cardiff job, he was there with Malky Mackay. I thought ‘I’d really like to work with Martyn.’ But after a few days, he came to me and said: ‘I can’t do this. I’d love to work with you but my loyalty is with Malky.’ I liked that about him. No bullshit. It wasn’t right for him and I respected that.

“So when I had the chance to bring him to United, I did. I never forgot. He’d been around in different levels and in different countries. He speaks several languages so for me to have a coach who could communicate with players in their mother tongue was important. Michael, Kieran and I didn’t speak Spanish or Portuguese, though I wish I did, and sometimes you get that extra detail when it’s in their own language.”.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Solskjaer on KMc

Post by marko69 » Wed May 10, 2023 5:31 pm

Brilliant 👍

Kieron is Ipswich Towns King

Very historic times the fans are in at the moment. …….. and hopefully a mid to higher table finish back in the Champ.

Some will say, “it was only L1,” ——> but it took 4 seasons with various managers. It was done with record breaking numbers put together.

Yes…… the squad matters….. but i keep going back to Bristol Rovers post match interview. Remember thinking, “nice Kieron but where do you start turning this tanker”……. Then proceeded to dumbfound everyone including the CRAZY notion that “teams have worked us out”…… for the record; that will eternally be a bullshit statement.

KING KIERON……. Guide the Town to the very top 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed May 10, 2023 5:38 pm

Yep he certainly got the job done doing it his way, any slight doubts are long gone, certainly from me anyway.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed May 10, 2023 5:45 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 1:00 pm
“One of his strong points was defensive organisation and I let him be in charge of that in training. I learned from him about defensive shape and how not to concede. So I wasn’t surprised that he went nine games without conceding this season. Not one goal. Then they conceded one horror goal, before carrying on keeping clean sheets.
This is especially important because as we all know, our defenders aren't the best...they're okay, but they are also prone for errors.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu May 11, 2023 8:02 am

I think that this time next year we'll have a much better idea of just how good KM is.

To his credit, he delivered this season - got us back to the Championship. It wasn't all plain sailing though - it took a major change in approach by him to finally bring about the change and to realise the full potential of the squad he had at his disposal. He also was backed by his board better than any other club in the League, and benefitted massively from the January transfer window. The more cynical might suggest that with what he had at his disposal we should have won the League by a large margin, wheras the fact is that we finished second to a club with a mere fraction of the resources we have.

So I'll refrain at the moment by referring to him with such names as 'King' or 'Messiah' or other such euphamisms.
Next season will be key for him as a manager - recent history has provided a number of teams that have gained promotion to the Premiership in their first season of promotion from League 1 - those yellow sods for one - and we will certainly have the resources available to achieve the same. All he needs to do is to make quality signings on 2 or 3 positions where we don't currently have the quality (or pedigree) required for the Championship and then find his best team and play it consistently letting other teams worry about us rather than us worrying about them.

It really is a golden opportunity for him to cement his managerial career - let's hope he seizes it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 11, 2023 8:21 am

rossi wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:02 am
I think that this time next year we'll have a much better idea of just how good KM is.

To his credit, he delivered this season - got us back to the Championship. It wasn't all plain sailing though - it took a major change in approach by him to finally bring about the change and to realise the full potential of the squad he had at his disposal. He also was backed by his board better than any other club in the League, and benefitted massively from the January transfer window. The more cynical might suggest that with what he had at his disposal we should have won the League by a large margin, wheras the fact is that we finished second to a club with a mere fraction of the resources we have.

So I'll refrain at the moment by referring to him with such names as 'King' or 'Messiah' or other such euphamisms.
Next season will be key for him as a manager - recent history has provided a number of teams that have gained promotion to the Premiership in their first season of promotion from League 1 - those yellow sods for one - and we will certainly have the resources available to achieve the same. All he needs to do is to make quality signings on 2 or 3 positions where we don't currently have the quality (or pedigree) required for the Championship and then find his best team and play it consistently letting other teams worry about us rather than us worrying about them.

It really is a golden opportunity for him to cement his managerial career - let's hope he seizes it.
You must wish you did that last season? :lol: You think Warne will get Derby promoted next season? Cannot believe the guy didn’t even get his club to the play-offs. With all his experience and all that, having to watch King Kieron in his nappy gaining promotion.

Going to guess there will be no such refraining if King Kieron struggles?

I admit, i am being a total wido, a total cheeky bstd……. But i really wanted you to post during the 9 clean sheet era, but there was nowt. Your posts actually put doubt into my head re KMcK……. really wanted to read your take after the big wins were shaping the season differently, but as said —->> nothing.

If like me, you have serious family medical issues going on, then all the best.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 11, 2023 1:32 pm

I have to admit that my one reservation of this season is the huge transfers and wages that the club has accrued. And even if Ashton says it was all part of the plan and budgeted before, it was free spending and they can come to bite you in the future when you need a bit more cash that you wish you had held back at an earlier stage. Having said that, they bought smart and the players they brought in will at least keep their value, they are players of the right age and ilk, so big credit for that.

That big spending does make it easier for McKenna and yes they finished 2nd, but look at some of the statistics, for large parts of the season they dismantled the division. To his credit regardless of money spent, he found a way over the mid season slump, maybe it was just winter pitches, and maybe January signings helped, but in the past we've had many similar slumps and it's ended with universal loss of confidence, a trip down the table, and the manager leaving. At no point did I ever feel that was the case this time, certainly not from those involved with the club, and they didn't just get over the slump, they became unplayable until the end of the season.

I do rate Solksjaer, he did a far better job at United than many big names since Fergusson left and while being scrutinised unfairly due to his lack of big club experience. Had Ronaldo not been dumped on him and had he not turned up and tried to assume the role of player manager, he may have continued to push on further.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri May 12, 2023 8:17 am

Yeah, I also think that this time next year we'll all have a better perspective on where McKenna sits on the all-time Ipswich Town manager ladder.

Right now though I reckon he's due the accolades for what he has achieved so far.