Manchester City FC Premier League Champions

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Manchester City FC Premier League Champions

Post by number 9 » Sun May 21, 2023 2:19 am

Well they did it. Massive choke for Arsenal. Three in a row now. Thoughts?

JohnnyB

Re: Manchester City FC Premier League Champions

Post by JohnnyB » Sun May 21, 2023 3:03 am

number 9 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 2:19 am
Well they did it. Massive choke for Arsenal. Three in a row now. Thoughts?
They deserve it. The table doesn't lie - except in league 1 of course

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 21, 2023 7:52 am

Arsenal are a very young squad snd they had injuries to a couple of key players. They will be back and may be a force over the next few years.

Man City can just throw more money at it can’t they ….

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 21, 2023 9:26 am

Yawn.

Not at your post No9, just Man City and Premier league in general.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun May 21, 2023 9:44 am

City will dominate, yes a team may have a good season and pip them to a title here and there but the only thing stopping them will be if Pep leaves, maybe if Haarland goes due to that release clause (although frankly why would he go given how they destroyed Real Madrid recently).

They are in a cycle where it’ll be very hard for anyone to stay ahead of them now.

Of course it could also change if they get hit with penalties for breaking financial rules.

Everyone else is so far behind now that’ll it’ll take a while for the cycle to change.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 21, 2023 9:56 am

And we all used to laugh at Celtic and Rangers dominating in Scotland, 5 premier titles in 6 years is just the beginning.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun May 21, 2023 12:14 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 9:56 am
And we all used to laugh at Celtic and Rangers dominating in Scotland, 5 premier titles in 6 years is just the beginning.
Spot on. The only part of the Premiership I find interesting now is the relegation battle.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun May 21, 2023 12:27 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Exactly my thoughts. Money talks and the rich make the rules - which they then break and get away with.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun May 21, 2023 3:49 pm

Had to suffer Liverpool winning near everything in sight back in the 1970's and '80's but at least back then they were an excellent team simply by way of making astute purchases, a fine coaching team and managers in Bill Shanks and Paisley for example that were on another level from those around them. It were damn painful for want of better words but they got things done for the reasons above, not by obscene belligerent cash injections, foreign ownership and investment. You can kind of tolerate a team winning year after year and filling up trophy shelves but only with the right standards and acceptance.

Hell we won the League in '62 by way of a unique manager, hard work, perseverance, dedication and hardly a pot to p*ss in. No-one expected anything, it were incredible. Leicester did something similar five, six years back. Those are the real achievements, they are the accomplishments that merit real focus and applaud.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun May 21, 2023 4:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 9:26 am
Yawn.

Not at your post No9, just Man City and Premier league in general.
Couldn't agree more. Just happened to switch it on - boring game played by miserable players in a quiet, soulless new stadium being watched by "fans" who in the main have only ever watched success (or who are tourists). I bet those who followed City in League 1 and when they were crap are bored of it too now. I just fear this scenario if we ever get back up there. Give me the Championship (challenging near the top) any day. If we went up, would be interesting to see how it affected us - few sat 3pm games etc but I am not sure I would love it like I do now! 🤷🏻‍♂️

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 22, 2023 12:05 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 12:14 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Spot on. The only part of the Premiership I find interesting now is the relegation battle.
Same in the SPL. Hibs have Celtic on Wednesday and Hearts @ Shitecastle next week, but 🤷‍♂️…… couldnt care less really
The relegation battle is HUGE.
Dundee United v Kilmarnock on Wednesday. Arguably the biggest game @ Tannadice for years.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 22, 2023 1:23 am

You’re a miserable lot! Remind me not to invite you to my birthday party! :D

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 22, 2023 2:35 am

I mean was convicted to making a trip over the pond if we get promoted to the Premier League. Now I’m not bothered after reading these comments. To be honest, I’m losing interest in football in general. I’m not satisfied with playing in the Championship forever. That’s an idiotic response, sorry. If you don’t covet the Premiere League & European football for your club, why fuckin bother!!!

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon May 22, 2023 6:59 am

number 9 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 2:35 am
I mean was convicted to making a trip over the pond if we get promoted to the Premier League. Now I’m not bothered after reading these comments. To be honest, I’m losing interest in football in general. I’m not satisfied with playing in the Championship forever. That’s an idiotic response, sorry. If you don’t covet the Premiere League & European football for your club, why fuckin bother!!!
I agree, you have got to want to improve and win everything. There are a significant number of teams in the top half of the prem table that you might not expect. I just worry about a league that is dominated by one team who has bought success and appears to have broken the financial rules on numerous occasions to do so - and will probably get away with it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 22, 2023 8:06 am

I think we would all embrace Town returning to the Premier league, I am just not sure I'd overly enjoy it for several reasons, if it were to happen I suspect most of us may change our minds. Its more about the predictable domination as Andy points out that I really don't like.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon May 22, 2023 9:24 am

Everyone would want Town back at the pinnacle, but the Championship is the better league for competition, any of the 24 can be promoted, any of the 24 can be relegated. It's a bit like wanting to eat only chocolate cake rather than only porridge, delicious at the start, but you soon realise how good porridge is!

It would just be nice if they found a way of making the Premier League a bit more like the Championship, maybe leagues with promotion and relegation are just inherently better, maybe Europe distracts too much, who knows, I'm starting to want a European super league!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 22, 2023 9:27 am

This is the very reason I am in favour of a super league, so the greedy big boys can feck off.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 22, 2023 10:28 am

The championship is really the old First Division isn’t it. PL and their Sky £m’s do nothing for me tbh .

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 22, 2023 12:27 pm

I mean the Champions League could remain as a league competition with relegation instead of a tournament. Most of the big clubs would remain in the league season to season, but smaller clubs could get promoted occasionally and make some extra money.

UEFA could set a date and the current teams qualified for the Champions League places would stand permanently unless relegated.

Edit: Sure it would be difficult to figure out a formula for relegated/promoted teams from various European leagues, but so what if England and Spain end up having more teams in the CL?? Likewise, relegated/promoted places in domestic leagues could be adjusted accordingly...I mean we can rearrange a World Cup for Qatar after all!
Last edited by number 9 on Mon May 22, 2023 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon May 22, 2023 1:56 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 9:24 am
I'm starting to want a European super league!
The more I think about it, I wish all that talk of a European super league came to fruition! Let the massive clubs get on with it! Perhaps then we could have a fairer Premier league?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 22, 2023 2:20 pm

The “powers that be” would fear a Euro Super League also becoming monotonously boring.
The very reason such a league is made, (because of individual countries leagues being boring) …. Then the Super League itself trumps all with an even bigger bore-fest.

Properly run FFP and maybe a draft system is the only way the soccer will become “fair”. And that is not ever happening. Certainly not in the lifetime of this forum.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon May 22, 2023 2:21 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 1:56 pm
Ricco wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 9:24 am
I'm starting to want a European super league!
The more I think about it, I wish all that talk of a European super league came to fruition! Let the massive clubs get on with it! Perhaps then we could have a fairer Premier league?
Yeah, I hatted the super league idea, mainly because of the unbelievable arrogance of the teams involved, I'd have stuck them all down to the third tier as punishment for even considering it.

It would have to have promotion and relegation, but yeah, if some of the teams who have spent a billion on the first team bugger off, you have a much healthier league. The teams remaining also aren't rotating or having bloated squads hoovering up all the talent because they're playing in European competitions. There might be something to it.
marko69 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 2:20 pm
Properly run FFP and maybe a draft system is the only way the soccer will become “fair”. And that is not ever happening. Certainly not in the lifetime of this forum.
Just too many greedy hands getting paid by the silly money involved for anyone to agree to cap it. You cap the PL and all the players and money go to Ligue 1 or La Liga. You'd need a universal cap and there's no chance that would ever happen.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 22, 2023 2:26 pm

Hoovering up the talent is the source of the bigger problem. 👍
The Old Firm have been doing it for years. No doubt Manchester United & Chelsea and others have been doing it for years too.
And some will say, “Who can blame the youngsters for sitting on a bench getting the💷” ……. No one can blame them ——>> but that needs to change.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon May 22, 2023 7:20 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 2:26 pm
The Old Firm have been doing it for years. No doubt Manchester United & Chelsea and others have been doing it for years too.
And some will say, “Who can blame the youngsters for sitting on a bench getting the💷” ……. No one can blame them ——>> but that needs to change.
Yeah this pathetic 5 subs or whatever it is now, 15 players on the bench rubbish doesn't help either. 3 subs 5 on bench, end of, changing that is as bad as changing the size of the goals.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 22, 2023 7:24 pm

Bring back the days of 11 players starting and Mick Lambert the substitute lol.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon May 22, 2023 8:55 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 7:20 pm
marko69 wrote:
Yeah this pathetic 5 subs or whatever it is now, 15 players on the bench rubbish doesn't help either. 3 subs 5 on bench, end of, changing that is as bad as changing the size of the goals.
I actually think the more subs rules help youngsters, if a team is well ahead then they can take the option of giving game time to young players.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 22, 2023 9:03 pm

shabba wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 8:55 pm
Ricco wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 7:20 pm
marko69 wrote:
I actually think the more subs rules help youngsters, if a team is well ahead then they can take the option of giving game time to young players.
I agree. I don’t have a problem with 5 subs.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 22, 2023 9:21 pm

Well, whether they sit on the bench or not, who cares……. Its the taking away talent from other clubs thats the point, and the issue. (I personally have no issue with 5 substitutes either, the inter-change system in the AFL is superb)
But a young Hibs player on £3K a week goes to Glasgow to “not play” and on £6K a week. Its been an issue for all clubs for years.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 22, 2023 9:49 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 9:21 pm
Well, whether they sit on the bench or not, who cares……. Its the taking away talent from other clubs thats the point, and the issue. (I personally have no issue with 5 substitutes either, the inter-change system in the AFL is superb)
But a young Hibs player on £3K a week goes to Glasgow to “not play” and on £6K a week. Its been an issue for all clubs for years.
Clubs have to agree on transfer terms, so the ‘hoovering’ is approved by the parent club’s officials. Tyreece Simpson comes to mind and MA put his foot down. Obviously a player who wants to go will eventually go, but can we really blame that on big money or ambition? It’s not like the Godfather is holding a gun to the club’s head and saying I have an offer you can’t refuse. Players leave clubs based on accepted terms.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 23, 2023 7:48 am

Its a feckin shambles of a system for supporters. Great for the players who want big cash, (brilliant).
An example though would be a promising Ipswich player being snapped up by Southampton, then Southampton sending him out on loan to say Wigan.
Maybe its just more magnified in Scotland due to there only being a “big two”. They’re like flies to shyte the minute a 15 year old star appears at The Spartans or Hutchison Vale.