Marcus Evans etal!

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Marcus Evans etal!

Post by number 9 » Sun May 28, 2023 2:37 am

Well I’ve searched everywhere, and I’ve found nothing on ME congratulating ITFC for promotion. I shouldn’t be bothered I suppose, but for ME to wax poetic about his love for Ipswich Town FC…I find it rather suspicious he hasn’t even publicly congratulated the club’s achievement.

I certainly wouldn’t expect any morsel of praise from Mickosarus, but being the so called gentleman that ME assumes to be I’d have thought at least a muted kudos for the organization he failed to improve.

Oh well, water under the bridge. Just curious how others feel?

Ricco

Re: Marcus Evans etal!

Post by Ricco » Sun May 28, 2023 8:10 am

I can't imagine he maintains many positive feelings towards the club. It caused him to lose lots of money, caused him stress and 99% of the fans have slated him. Pretty much all the staff he may have worked with are no longer at the club and it's probably a good reminder to him of his failings, especially as he makes his money telling sports companies how they should be run...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 28, 2023 9:02 am

I hadn't given it a thought tbh but seeing as he retains a small share of the club you would think he would be pleased at promotion.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun May 28, 2023 9:49 am

I think the guy's a chinless wonder who thought he'd make a quick buck getting us back in the Premiership in one go and messed it up.

But I have respect for him in that he didn't sell the club to the first bunch of shysters with a wad of cash who came along and waited for the right buyers. For that reason history may look kindly upon him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 28, 2023 10:07 am

Yep agreed, although I guess leaving us debt free was a commendable way to depart, I doubt a lot of owners would have done that.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 28, 2023 12:40 pm

He messed it up by appointing Roy Keane……. Then king C**t iced it and put the cherry on it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun May 28, 2023 10:17 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:02 am
I hadn't given it a thought tbh but seeing as he retains a small share of the club you would think he would be pleased at promotion.
What’s 5% of £170m I wonder …the prize for promotion to the PL for Luton today…

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon May 29, 2023 12:21 am

People (a minority maybe) speak in favor of Evans but will always view the name in a negative sense. May have done some good or aided the club at (minimal) one stage or another but the bad points far outweigh any good.

Always seemed unconcerned or even disingenuous to Town's future or hope to succeed, many a time I questioned what the hell he were doing in place here or what his real endgame were. Our most disappointing, uneventful and miserable time of the last say 50 years occurred mainly through his ownership. Had he not made way at the time he did, no promotion would have occurred, it's that clear and evident.

In years to come you'll look back and asses Town ownership. Names such as the Cobbolds and Sheepshanks will gain rightful praise or adulation but people like Evans, maybe we won't hate such individuals but merely omit them from club history. Pretend they never gained control or expel them from the club name. Unfortunately for any damage done, or misadventure, it simply won't be so simple or straight forward.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 29, 2023 7:34 am

Gamechanger have done for for this club in 18months than Evans did in 18+ years. They havent take anything out of the club ( as yet). Evans gave three managers around £12m each to play with, found it wasn’t working, lost interest, and stopped putting money 8n , all bar the running costs. But each season he’d a sell a crown jewel from the club to re coup some money. At the time I lorded him for saving the club, which he did. But in truth he bought our debt (£35m) for a song , and quickly added to that debt. In the cold light of day and hav8mg moved on away from him, I see him in a different light now. And he still has a 5% holding in the Club, so when we do get promoted to the PL and get upwards of £170m he’ll no doubt recoup most of the money he put in ( which was his debt anyway, not the Club’s). A mug, Evans definitely isn’t. He’s a modified, smooth, asset stripper. Ipswich Town FC is now just another little addition to his Corporation portfolio……