Mick Mills on BBC Website

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

rossi

Mick Mills on BBC Website

Post by rossi » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:43 am

Interesting to see the opinions of Mick Mills on the BBC Sport website.

He says Town will be candidates for a top 6 finish providing they bring in 5 or 6 players that are better than what we have at the moment. I guess he is considering we need players that have both Chsmpionship pedigree and ability.

So I was trying to think of the players that played regularly since February who would be more or less automatic selections for next season based on Mills' assessment that we need 5 or 6 better players. I came up with the following 6:
walton
davis
morsy
luongo
broadhead
chaplin

Interesting times ahead for sure

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Mick Mills on BBC Website

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:48 am

To be honest I don't see anymore than 2 or 3 coming in that would go straight into the first team.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:50 am

yeah, I was thinking about 3 too - a centre back, a right-sided forward, and a striker

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:02 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:50 am
yeah, I was thinking about 3 too - a centre back, a right-sided forward, and a striker
Exavtly this, plus I'd add a top CM - I love Massimo and Sam but they aren't young.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:05 am

With Evans, Ball, Camara and Humphreys at the club I don't see any CM coming in.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:36 am

Agree with Mills, we need two CBs. Also, we'll obviously need to replace Hirst (I'm assuming he won't be back with Leicester relegated). I do have a feeling MA may have an ace up his sleeve. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the signings is a big name.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:39 am

I think KM rates Woolfenden very highly so I'd be amazed if Two new CB's come in, one maybe, unless of course Edmundson is on his way

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:25 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:05 am
With Evans, Ball, Camara and Humphreys at the club I don't see any CM coming in.
Cant't rely on Humphreys to shoulder a large part of the season because of his age and can we rely on Evans and Ball, when they've only been managing half seasons in the last few years? Luongo has also had his injury issues over the last 3 or 4 years too. So I'm with you, it seems bizarre to suggest we need more centre mids, but the current ones make me a little nervous in such an important position. If a quality CM became available, I'd expect us to seriously consider bringing them in.

Otherwise yeah, I expect 2 or 3 first team players to come in, and perhaps another 2 or 3 squad players (depending on if any players leave). I think that's a bit much for Mick to expect and doesn't show how much we've already invested in Championship quality players. The carrot to the current players would have been to get us up and you'll have a shot in the Championship, I don't therefore expect half of them to be benched for shiny new models.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
I think Ball and Evans might be on their way at some point over next 12 months .

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:59 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:10 pm
Bluemike wrote:
I think Ball and Evans might be on their way at some point over next 12 months .
I think at least one of these will be offloaded, and for my money that would be Evans. I don't think it a coincidence that our upturn in form this season coincided with his absence. I'm not really sure about Ball, but I guess his versatility makes him a useful squad member. Have not seen enough of Camara to have any idea about whether he will be good enough next season or not.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:57 am

rossi wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:59 am
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:10 pm
Bluemike wrote:
I think at least one of these will be offloaded, and for my money that would be Evans. I don't think it a coincidence that our upturn in form this season coincided with his absence. I'm not really sure about Ball, but I guess his versatility makes him a useful squad member. Have not seen enough of Camara to have any idea about whether he will be good enough next season or not.
Evans was one of our best players during our fast start, when he got injured you could argue we had our poor run . It was only when Masimo came in that the midfield suddenly looked back to normal (and actually the best it had been all season).

I agree though, Evans can be moved on now - but I think he is still a decent player and did well for us before his injury.