Championship - Sheffield Wednesday vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we take 3 points off one of last seasons rivals?

Wednesday Win
13%
Ipswich Win
69%
Draw
19%

Total votes: 16

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Sheffield Wednesday vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:34 am

Image Sheffield Wednesday v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 16th September 2023 – 15:00

Hillsborough Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

I don't think too many of us Town fans quite expected what we were dished up in the second half of our last Championship game at home to Cardiff City. Having been a bit under par for much of the first half and in truth second best to the Welshmen it looked for all the world like we were going to fall to a second successive home defeat, especially after we had fallen Two goals behind early in the second half but this Town team is as resilient as any Town team I can remember and Cardiff's Second goal served only to awaken us from our slumbers as were suddenly came alive to produce a superb turnaround in a game that looked all but lost.

After the excellent Aaron Ramsey and Joe Ralls had given our visitors a Two goal lead it was going to take something special for us to get back into the game, yes we had had our chances in that first Hour but unlike Town we had failed to take any of them. Nathan Broadhead saw a header comfortably saved by the keeper as early as the Fifth Minute when he should really have scored, a couple of early chances from distance fell to Conor Chaplin but on this occasion he was unable to make them count.

We did get a bit of luck in between those chances with the Bluebirds having an effort disallowed for offside, this following a cracking save from Vaclav Hladky. It was the returning George Hirst that passed up the best chance to score, having been played through down the middle the big centre forward could only fire his effort against the keeper and away to safety.

Sometimes out of adversity comes a change of luck and this certainly proved to be the case after Hirst had limped off injured late in the first half, Freddie Ladapo was to replace him and boy did he grab his chance with both hands. First up though was that much needed moment of magic that Town needed to get us back into the game. A lovely ball through Midfield from the excellent Sam Morsy set up Broadhead who's quick feet twisted and turned the Cardiff defenders before sending a rocket of a shot into the top of the net to get Town right back into the game.

It was very much Town's best spell of the game and it wasnt long before they had pulled themselves level courtesy of super sub Ladapo, Leif Davis swung in a corner which came off a defender before falling invitingly for Ladapo to help it home from a couple of yards out with quick reactions to beat the defender to the ball. Portman Road erupted as belief returned that we could actually turn this around.

Better was to come for Town but not before Hladky pulled off another super save to keep it level. The key to the win was to come with the introduction of Brandon Williams & Omari Hutchinson who both had a part to play in what turned out to be the winning goal, the latters cross pulling a save from the Cardiff keeper which cannoned off the lurking Ladapo and into the net to send the crowd wild. The noise was like nothing I have heard at Portman Road for many a long day as the celebrations kicked in.

Town went close to a fourth thanks to Broadhead but with the game deep into the Six minutes of injury time it was Hladky who once again came out the hero with a vital save as he grabbed the loose ball with a striker bearing down and ready to pounce. Everyone to a man celebrated at full time and it was another incredible show of character which this team has in abundance that ultimately turned the game on it's head.

Sadly we had to endure a dull International break which stopped us building on our win but it may just be it was what we needed what with Clarke, Hirst and One or two others carrying knocks. it seems like Wes Burns has picked up a hamstring injury while away with wales which we could do without but as Ladapo showed when someone else gets a chance you need to grab it, we have options so hopefully all will be fine.

Since that Cardiff game we have also added to the squad with the addition of Centre Back Axel Tuanzebe, the free agent having failed to earn a place at Luton Town despite impressing while on trial. this could be seen as something of a gamble by Town but it could just be a gamble that pays off if he can stay fit, there is no doubt he has the pedigree to excel at this level and in truth I think we all felt another CB was a must, I am looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Next up is a trip to Sheffield Wednesday who I must confess I do not like in the slightest, last season's motor mouth's really did make themselves look stupid having basically proclaimed themselves up as early as march only to go on a torrid run and bottle it big time, add to that the shenanigans of the Club and Darren Moore parting company and they really haven't endured themselves to many neutrals, certainly not in these parts.

The Owls have found life tough back in the Championship with just a solitary point from their opening Five games, albeit a creditable draw with Leeds Utd so they will be looking to kickstart their season before very much longer. It has to be said that their squad does look a little light in terms of quality for this league and there seems no doubt that the goings on behind the scenes hasn't done them too many favours where it matters most, out on the pitch.
I think Town will go into this full of confidence that they can get a Third win on the road and why not, Hillsborough however is not a happy hunting ground for us and they aren't the easiest team to play against, we showed last season though that if you can silence the crowd it makes a massive difference, we did it last season only to be robbed so let's go and do it again to keep ourselves up at the top of this very early league table. Town to edge it for me !! COYB'S.

The Opposition – Sheffield Wednesday Honours

League

First Division/Premier League

Champions (4): 1902–03, 1903–04, 1928–29, 1929–30

Second Division/Championship

Champions (5): 1899–1900, 1925–26, 1951–52, 1955–56, 1958–59
Runners-up (2): 1949–50, 1983–84
Promoted (1): 1990–91

Third Division/League One

Runners-up (1): 2011–12
Promoted (1): 1979–80
Play-off winners (1): 2004–05, 2022-23

Football Alliance (1)

Champions (1): 1889–90

Cup

FA Cup

Winners (3): 1895–96, 1906–07, 1934–35
Runners-up (3): 1889-90, 1965–66, 1992–93

Football League Cup

Winners (1): 1990–91
Runners-up (1): 1992–93

FA Community Shield

Winners (1): 1935
Runners-up (1): 1930

The Manager – Xisco Muñoz

League Table

Form Guide

Sheffield Wednesday

4 Aug Sheffield Wed 1 - 2 Southampton

12 Aug Hull City 4 - 2 Sheffield Wed

19 Aug Sheffield Wed 0 - 1 Preston

26 Aug Cardiff City 2 - 1 Sheffield Wed

2 Sep Leeds Utd 0 - 0 Sheffield Wed

Ipswich Town

6 Aug Sunderland 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

12 Aug Ipswich Town 2 - 0 Stoke City

19 Aug QP Rangers 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

26 Aug Ipswich Town 3 - 4 Leeds Utd

2 Sep Ipswich Town 3 - 2 Cardiff City

Head to Head

Match Referee – James Linnington

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

rossi

Re: Championship - Sheffield Wednesday vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by rossi » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:33 am

This is going to be a lot harder than people think. The company I work for are based in Sheffield and have a box at Hiilsborough (from where I shall be watching Saturday) and I know how much the club are hurting at the moment due to their performance so far this season. Somebody soon is going to feel the backlash - I just hope and pray it's not us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Sheffield Wednesday vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:19 am

Owls wanker :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:41 am

After last season and how Owls fans treated their then manager, I’ve gone right off Sheffield Weds. I lived in Sheffield for nearly 4 yrs and became quite attached to the fan base snd club tbh. Seemed a decent lot back in 1997. But not now. Do fans or fan bases change ? I don’t know, but their behaviour and sheer arrogance seems lightyears to that which I experienced back in the last 90’s for sure. I’ve no time for them now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:50 pm

Hallam……. I think you are just falling into that trap of tarring them all with the same brush. Can assure you they ALL didn’t become arrogant. What’s happened is the “already arrogant” (which you probably didn't know about) found the internet. The fans you once knew that were cool, will still be cool. 👍
A bit like Hearts.
Actually no. Its not like Hearts. They're ALL twats.

Nice preview. That Cardiff game feels like months ago. Hopefully too much time hasn’t passed and the lads are still clicking.
Agree with Rossi, don’t believe it’ll be an easy game by any means, (none are) but hoping ITFC can edge it by the odd goal, 1-0, 2-1.
Or 0-1, 1-2 for the OCD’s.

Combined caption:

Muñoz: “I have, how you say, 100 pound note in my hand for penalty, Referee. You take?”
Ref: (picture)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:56 pm

I too despise Sheff Wed, not only for recent events but also for the time they were giving it large to Liz and I after a game up at that shithole, certainly the ones we encountered were also tossers of the highest order.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:29 pm

A neighbour of mine (a Man U supporter) said he watched Tuanzebe play against PSG a few years ago and said he looked brilliant. Fast and strong, he wondered why he hadn't progressed further. Hopefully with the right coaching and if he stays injury-free he will be an asset at the back.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:41 pm

I always had a lot of respect for the Owls but not after last season, the way the fans were being nasty, some may say passionate, and also treating their manager like doodoo they can right off!

Hope we turn them over and they stay down the bottom where they belong.

COYB!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:47 pm

Think this is a draw. They know us even with recent acquisitions. Wouldn’t be surprised if we lose. Our international players will be tired. Hope I’m wrong

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:57 pm

I like Sheffield Wednesday and always have done since I first started following football in the late 50’s and early 60’s when they were a great football club. I also have two golf mates who played for them and we have a great rivalry with loads of banter which will never change.

To me they seem a bit broken at the moment and I can’t see anything other than a town win but don’t expect it to come easy as they will set up to make it difficult.

Prediction; Sheffield Wednesday 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:43 pm

I got no malice towards them. Harkes was the first American to play at Wembley or a Cup Final for them back in '91 and the fans there haven't accomplished much in the time since. They won the top league many times but you got to go back to the 1930's or something to recall it.

Voted to draw although all things are possible out there. Kind of strange to find them where they are and no games won but Leeds taught a lesson you can sometimes come unstuck against opposition like that.

SWFC 1 ITFC 1

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:05 am

Gone for a win. That’s jinxed it. I just think McKenna is shrewd enough to make changes if thinks aren’t going it way.
How long has it been since I could say that about a Town manager?

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:57 am

Well we are due a draw ..they are due a win ...with their tails up in the air from getting a,point from Leeds who put 4 past us .hard one to call ..hmm il go for a 2.1 to us

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:10 am

Andym wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:05 am
Gone for a win. That’s jinxed it. I just think McKenna is shrewd enough to make changes if thinks aren’t going it way.
Andy? Am i reading this correct? Or do i need to make an app with specsavers? :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:14 pm

Andys's been hacked lol 😆

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:20 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:10 am
Andym wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:05 am
Andy? Am i reading this correct? Or do i need to make an app with specsavers? :lol:
Just come down with Covid - it's probably affecting my judgement!

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:17 pm

Won't be an easy game, they will be galvanised from the point vs leeds. However they are still a basket case club right now.

I suspect we will see some rotation in these next three games, I wouldn't be suprised to see Willians start over Clarke, maybe even Taylor for Masimo and Jackson for Burns this weekend.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:43 pm

This is my line up

Hladky

Williams
Woolfy
Burgess
Davis

Morsy
Luongo

Hutchinson
Chaplin
Broadhead

Ladapo

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:28 pm

Yip, reckon that’d be mine. I think Clark needs his injury sorting. Burns needs a rest also, and Freddie has earned his shirt for the next game.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:45 pm

We got a 'head start' over them for tomorrow if a news item is anything to go by

An Owl (an Owl, not one of their fanbase) spent a whole night with it's head stuck behind a car license plate when it's occupants hit the bird while driving in Laxfield Suffolk. At first they didn't realize they had struck it, however next morning discovered the creature hanging from the front of vehicle. It survived all that and understand now in process of recovery at a county Wildlife Center.

Just thought a fun story going into tomorrows contest. Sounds like something of a good / bizarre omen in taking something from them.

Took in a view of their leading fan forum just recent. There's a whole 5, 6 page spread devoted to what they expect and results were mixed. Many were honest enough to admit or believe they can hope to take little from it (in that we'll win). It should be a good contest.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:09 pm

Off topic slightly ...., but got to mention......, Loons v The Spartans tomorrow in Forfar. Know a couple older guys heading up there to this, Mike. One of them was the coach for my sons team back in the day. Historic day for The Spartans....., first time @ Station Park in a league game. Should be a good game.

OK, sorry....., back on topic......., more line up guesses please.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:13 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:45 pm
We got a 'head start' over them for tomorrow if a news item is anything to go by

An Owl (an Owl, not one of their fanbase) spent a whole night with it's head stuck behind a car license plate when it's occupants hit the bird while driving in Laxfield Suffolk. At first they didn't realize they had struck it, however next morning discovered the creature hanging from the front of vehicle. It survived all that and understand now in process of recovery at a county Wildlife Center.

Just thought a fun story going into tomorrows contest. Sounds like something of a good / bizarre omen in taking something from them.

Took in a view of their leading fan forum just recent. There's a whole 5, 6 page spread devoted to what they expect and results were mixed. Many were honest enough to admit or believe they can hope to take little from it (in that we'll win). It should be a good contest.
:lol: Poor owl.

Driver obviously didn't see it......, otherwise they would've hooted.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:36 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:09 pm
Off topic slightly ...., but got to mention......, Loons v The Spartans tomorrow in Forfar. Know a couple older guys heading up there to this, Mike. One of them was the coach for my sons team back in the day. Historic day for The Spartans....., first time @ Station Park in a league game. Should be a good game.

OK, sorry....., back on topic......., more line up guesses please.
Massive game in more ways than one, we haven't bloody won one yet !!! I hope your acquaintances don't enjoy it too much lol

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:43 pm
This is my line up

Hladky

Williams
Woolfy
Burgess
Davis

Morsy
Luongo

Hutchinson
Chaplin
Broadhead

Ladapo

I’d be more than happy with this starting line up but expect McKenna would play Hurst before Freddie if he’s fit although for me Freddie deserves a start.

Really looking forward to this after a weekend without a game.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:51 am

If he does we need to see more from Hirst tbh, getting knackered after an hour most games ain't great and missed Two or Three you would expect him to score already. That said he has history with the Owls and their fans are far from complimentary about him so it could give him an edge.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:22 am

Never really get why anyone would hate any fanbase. All clubs have the same types which is pretty much based on the size of the club. They tend to reflect society ?? Never really understood the hatred of Norwich. Rivalry is fine but hatred ??

As for treatment of a manager, hmm some would say some Town fans have form on that ?

I'm a bit like Charnwood on this in that I think Wednesday are a bit broken at the moment due to ownership. Having said that i think this will be a tough match and the best i can see is a draw.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:48 am

It's ridiculous to say Town have form on that, it is chalk and cheese having hatred for some of the goons we have had in charge in recent years as opposed to a manager that took a team to promotion, surprised you don't get it.

Following Town around the country and encountering certain scenarios gives you reasons to dislike certain fan bases, you clearly haven't experienced it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:48 am

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:22 am
Never really get why anyone would hate any fanbase. All clubs have the same types which is pretty much based on the size of the club. They tend to reflect society ?? Never really understood the hatred of Norwich. Rivalry is fine but hatred ??

As for treatment of a manager, hmm some would say some Town fans have form on that ?

I'm a bit like Charnwood on this in that I think Wednesday are a bit broken at the moment due to ownership. Having said that i think this will be a tough match and the best i can see is a draw.
Yes, its crazy.

And up here, Hibs & Hearts fans standing side by side @ Scotland games sharing banter with only a VERY SMALL few making it about domestic football, ie making stupid comments re substitutions.

Do definitely believe “a few” give “the fanbase” a bad name. No doubt applies to Leeds & Millwall as well :shock:

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:07 pm

Burns starts, Hirst on bench.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:28 pm

Clarke starts too, surprisingly, at least we know we have weapons that can come off the bench.