Championship - Sheffield Wednesday vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we take 3 points off one of last seasons rivals?

Wednesday Win
13%
Ipswich Win
69%
Draw
19%

Total votes: 16

Mauswara

Re: Championship - Sheffield Wednesday vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Mauswara » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:18 pm

Mariner67 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:12 pm
BBC says its still playing 11 minutes extra time :astroll:
To infinity and beyond.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Sheffield Wednesday vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:18 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:15 pm
Mariner67 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:12 pm
BBC says its still playing 11 minutes extra time :astroll:
Yep, google says 90 (+16) :lol:
What a load of tosh !

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:21 pm

Time to some is immaterial. Bottom line we got the win. Should or could have been more and something of a travesty had they taken something from it but we're really making progress this season even after a short duration.

Too bad NCFC got a win, someone on commentary said it's good for East Anglia or words to that effect but somehow beg to differ. West Ham had a loss which always represents a satisfactory set of scores.

Not sure who we're playing next in League but today kind of showed the team can procure wins even when not playing at it's best or giving a full and concentrated effort. Catch up with game report and further analysis when time allows it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:22 pm

The current BBC stats are incorrect, our game is only up to 87 minutes on stats.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:24 pm

Yay great away win against the owls,should of done the double over them last year :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:28 pm

Yes, according to google, it finished 90 (+21) :lol:

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:29 pm

We really should have had it sewn up first half. Sheffield Wed were so poor.
Second half we weren't much better to be honest. If Clarke worried me first half, Williams did little to impress second half.
It's odd; in the first half, 0-0 until nearly half time and I thought we looked a decent Championship side. Second half at 1-0 up we looked more like a Sunday team. Maybe that's harsh but we were disjointed and struggled against a very poor team.
Still, 3 points is 3 points.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:29 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:21 pm
Time to some is immaterial. Bottom line we got the win.
Tell that to Sheff Utd fans.

90+8
90+10

gubbed 2-1 :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:33 pm

As McKenna said that is a great one to win and NEVER easy playing that bunch of cloggers but we did it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:47 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:29 pm
arana peligrosa wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:21 pm
Time to some is immaterial. Bottom line we got the win.
Tell that to Sheff Utd fans.

90+8
90+10

gubbed 2-1 :lol:

Same for Palace at Villa. 90+8 and 90+11 (Pen) for Villa.

Villa 3-1 Palace

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:22 pm
The current BBC stats are incorrect, our game is only up to 87 minutes on stats.
We may need to check Shots on Target as it said 5 before Broadhead hit it straight at the keeper in the middle of the posts but the 5 didn’t change

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:51 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:49 pm
Bluemike wrote:
We may need to check Shots on Target as it said 5 before Broadhead hit it straight at the keeper in the middle of the posts but the 5 didn’t change
Showing 6 now, much to my Prediction league relief! :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:52 pm

Let’s hope Southampton play like they did last night v Leicester City when they looked every bit as poor as Wednesday. Hopefully they won’t have a rebound.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:53 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
yeah it finished 6, correct on BBC now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:05 pm

Just looking at those stats.

Wednesday, 7 corners, zero shots on target.

Wow. Get working on the set-pieces.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:07 pm

If ever there was yet more evidence of what a shower of shyte some Weds fans are , it’s this post just posted on twtd: it only supports what I’ve witnessed from this lot in the past: utter scum

“About 100 Sheffield Wednesday youths with smoke bombs and their face covered have just kicked the sh*t out of about 30 of our fans (youths who were being lairy in response to the Wednesday fans waiting near the away end for a fight).

And now it’s happened again about 30 on 5. They’re just picking Ipswich fans out at this point. Some young lads just had his head stamped on in someone’s garden.

Suspect you’ll hear a lot about this on twitter and here tonight but there’s shirters on both sides getting caught up and women with their kids crying in the street. Coppers nowhere to be seen and it’s gone on 15 minutes ffs.”

“First time I’ve ever been relieved I’m not wearing Ipswich colours at an away game before. F**king animals and an embarrassment to their club.

A dampener on the day to be honest”.

“Hopefully no major injuries. A good reminder that mouthing off to angry home fans can have consequences.

Never ever seen anything like it. They were quite literally walking down the road as a group by the end of that looking for male Ipswich fans under 30 to attack at random. One lad backed off and off and off until he was in someone’s garden and still took a kicking from at least 15 of them.

Animals. The women at the hot dog stand said to me they go out after every game looking for a fight. There’s one thing fighting a massive group of Ipswich fans as it was at the start but by the end there it was 10+ on 1 about 5 times. If I had my Ipswich coat on as I usually do I’d have been pummelled.

Ruined the day somewhat actually. The poor lad who had his head stamped on must’ve been 20 and didn’t stand a chance against so many of them. All in hoods/face covered etc and Stone island. Grim”

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:25 pm

That is awful. Poor buggers

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:53 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
yeah it finished 6, correct on BBC now.
I am sure it was 7 as that's what my prediction was? 😬

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:33 pm

In large groups, hoods up and faces covered ----->> Cowards.

Hope all caught up in this are ok. No serious injuries and certainly no long term, life changing injuries.

With a bit of luck, Sheffield CCTV works and some arrests are made. Get these types away from the game. Away from society really.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:36 pm

And people tell me they don't get the hatred !!! f**king really people, get your heads out of your arses, they are scum, I've witnessed it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:48 pm

Anyway, back to football:

McKenna “ that felt like a big one for us today”

Ipswich Town manager Kieran McKenna said this afternoon's 1-0 win at Sheffield Wednesday was a sign of how much his team has improved in recent months.

Conor Chaplin's goal just before half-time ended up proving the difference, but the scoreline didn't reflect the Blues' dominance in a game between two newly-promoted sides.

Five wins from the opening six games has Town third in the Championship table, while winless Wednesday are second-bottom.

"I loved the game, the performance and, of course, the result," said McKenna. "That felt like a big one for us today.

"I lost one of my first games here (1-0 in Jan '22), then we had two really even games against them last year (both games finishing 2-2).

"But in the first half of this game, if I'm honest, it didn't look like two teams who were competing evenly last year.

"It's a nice reference for the boys to feel their improvement against some really good players who've they've battled against for many years.

"I think it was really big for us to come here and win. This is a barometer for us as a team."

Reflecting on the game, he said: "First half, coming back from international duty, I thought we imposed ourselves on the game, dominated the game, carved through their pressure a few times, created some big opportunities, pressed well and didn't give them anything. I thought it was an excellent performance. We got the goal just before half-time and we probably deserved a bit more than that.

"It was the same at the start of the second half. Probably by 65 minutes we should have been two or three-nil up.

"That large chunk of the game was really, really pleasing, but on the other hand the last 20 minutes was really pleasing as well because when you don't get the second goal you have to see the game out in a different way.

"We had to defend with organisation and resiliance, dig in and take care of the details on set plays. To do that against Sheffield Wednesday, this crowd, with the wind going against the goal we were defending - that was a terrific thing for the boys to go through."

With Freddie Ladapo and George Hirst both spurning golden chances to score either side of Chaplin's finish, McKenna said: "I thought we had a couple of absolutely picture perfect moves for us on what we like to do, going through the pitch quick and getting through teams, behind teams and arriving in goalscoring positions.

"At the other end we gave away very little. It shows good growth as a team. Last year we were 2-0 up here and we didn't manage to manage the game right, giving away a goal from a set play.

"I think we've learned a lot over the last 12 months about that phase of the game and how to manage games - the discipline required, the details required, how to defend our final third without sagging into the box too much. We did that really well today."

The only negative thing for Town this afternoon was the sight of Leif Davis limping off moments after he'd assisted Chaplin's opener with a cool cut-back.

"I haven't had a medical report yet," said McKenna, when asked about the influential left-back.

"I saw him at half-time, he's landed on his ankle, twisted it and got stood on at the same time - that's usually not a great mixture. He's in a boot. It's a case of seeing how it is over the next 24 hours."

He continued: "When you have to make an early change like that you lose one of your stoppages. That made it tricky in the second half. Wes (Burns) needed to come off as he was feeling really, really tight in his hamstring on 70 minutes or whatever it was.

"It meant more players than we would have wanted had to play the full 90 minutes. We'll have to assess how everyone is now for Tuesday (at Southampton).

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:49 pm

I think the point probably missed is that there were 25K at Hillsborough today, (3K Ipswich)......, they're reporting 100 youths......, which will no doubt be more. Lets say 1000. Which leaves 21K Weds fans that'll be probably like the majority of people; head home for their dinner after the game. I do get it, but can't get onboard with hating a fanbase. Can dislike every team for their "tw*t element"......., 30K Hibs fans at Hampden....., 64 fans had the club in the news for the wrong reasons. It is very irritating. I'd wager a young Norwich fan in colours being caught around 15 Ipswich fans......, it'll not end in the CBeebies story corner. But that is NOT how Ipswich are. Yet people will judge. And that is the irritating part.

Not old enough to comment on the 70s but no doubt it was probably easier to dislike a fanbase ........., but again, it's Twats in Numbers. Not a good scenario anywhere in the country.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:04 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:48 pm
Anyway, back to football:

McKenna “ that felt like a big one for us today”

Ipswich Town manager Kieran McKenna said this afternoon's 1-0 win at Sheffield Wednesday was a sign of how much his team has improved in recent months.

Conor Chaplin's goal just before half-time ended up proving the difference, but the scoreline didn't reflect the Blues' dominance in a game between two newly-promoted sides.

Five wins from the opening six games has Town third in the Championship table, while winless Wednesday are second-bottom.

"I loved the game, the performance and, of course, the result," said McKenna. "That felt like a big one for us today.

"I lost one of my first games here (1-0 in Jan '22), then we had two really even games against them last year (both games finishing 2-2).

"But in the first half of this game, if I'm honest, it didn't look like two teams who were competing evenly last year.

"It's a nice reference for the boys to feel their improvement against some really good players who've they've battled against for many years.

"I think it was really big for us to come here and win. This is a barometer for us as a team."

Reflecting on the game, he said: "First half, coming back from international duty, I thought we imposed ourselves on the game, dominated the game, carved through their pressure a few times, created some big opportunities, pressed well and didn't give them anything. I thought it was an excellent performance. We got the goal just before half-time and we probably deserved a bit more than that.

"It was the same at the start of the second half. Probably by 65 minutes we should have been two or three-nil up.

"That large chunk of the game was really, really pleasing, but on the other hand the last 20 minutes was really pleasing as well because when you don't get the second goal you have to see the game out in a different way.

"We had to defend with organisation and resiliance, dig in and take care of the details on set plays. To do that against Sheffield Wednesday, this crowd, with the wind going against the goal we were defending - that was a terrific thing for the boys to go through."

With Freddie Ladapo and George Hirst both spurning golden chances to score either side of Chaplin's finish, McKenna said: "I thought we had a couple of absolutely picture perfect moves for us on what we like to do, going through the pitch quick and getting through teams, behind teams and arriving in goalscoring positions.

"At the other end we gave away very little. It shows good growth as a team. Last year we were 2-0 up here and we didn't manage to manage the game right, giving away a goal from a set play.

"I think we've learned a lot over the last 12 months about that phase of the game and how to manage games - the discipline required, the details required, how to defend our final third without sagging into the box too much. We did that really well today."

The only negative thing for Town this afternoon was the sight of Leif Davis limping off moments after he'd assisted Chaplin's opener with a cool cut-back.

"I haven't had a medical report yet," said McKenna, when asked about the influential left-back.

"I saw him at half-time, he's landed on his ankle, twisted it and got stood on at the same time - that's usually not a great mixture. He's in a boot. It's a case of seeing how it is over the next 24 hours."

He continued: "When you have to make an early change like that you lose one of your stoppages. That made it tricky in the second half. Wes (Burns) needed to come off as he was feeling really, really tight in his hamstring on 70 minutes or whatever it was.

"It meant more players than we would have wanted had to play the full 90 minutes. We'll have to assess how everyone is now for Tuesday (at Southampton).
Terrible news regarding Davis, he's not replaceable tbh, his assists total is ridiculous

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:11 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:49 pm

Not old enough to comment on the 70s but no doubt it was probably easier to dislike a fanbase ........., but again, it's Twats in Numbers. Not a good scenario anywhere in the country.
Probably alcohol-fuelled Twats in Numbers. I have to confess I love a drink and usually have a couple in the Greyhound after the match. But never before. (Mainly because since having my prostate removed I’d spend most of the match in the toilet…)

Apart from the huge clubs with the world-wide following, most supporters follow their team through an accident if birth - or on my case, where I currently live. I can’t hate a fan base because of where they were born. On the other hand, some teams seem to have a contingent with a sense of entitlement. If the above comments are true that they look for av fight every week, then the police and the club aren’t doing their job properly.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:19 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:36 pm
And people tell me they don't get the hatred !!! f**king really people, get your heads out of your arses, they are scum, I've witnessed it.
Mike, told you the other week why I won’t go back to Hillsborough. Every club have their share of idiots but Wednesday seem have more than many clubs.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:03 pm

Exactly

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:46 pm

Most football club have a hooligan element that go looking for trouble either before or after a game, the only variable is the number. We’ve certainly had our share of idiots at Portman Road at Portman Road over the years and there was a time when it was a regular occurrence for a North Stand mob to attack visiting fans coaches parked down West End Road or hijacking groups of visiting fans walking back to the railway station.

It’s just a shame if it’s creeping back into the game again as I thought those days were behind us.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:30 pm

Been at Hillsborough today. A few thoughts.

Honestly, can't remember the last time I have seen such an awful home team in the Championship against us throughout the years. Sheffield Wed are a pure toilet to put it kindly. Absolutely no smell of threat from them today whatsoever. But they had too many corners in the 2nd half and set-pieces were their solitary hope.

We were quick to criticise Brandon Williams after his bad start with us. Today though he was very, very good after coming on. The way he carries the ball looks so nice. And to be really frank he is a better footballer than 'our own' Clarke.

I'm doubting Clarke. I'm not sure whether he is a Championship level. Yet another unimpressive display from him. I'm sorry but he is losing a ball too cheaply. He can be dispossessed quite easily and that was the case today.

When all our defenders are fit then I want Williams to be a starter ahead of Clarke. One of our own, yes, but it isn't about the sentiments.

Ladapo.....dear me ! Not against him as I like him but he seemed lazy today. Hirst offered a bigger threat after coming on.

1-0 isn't a true reflection of the game. Ought to have been 3-0 or 4-0.

Southampton on Tuesday.... on paper they are so called favourites but we have got to be brave. They keep shipping the goals right, left and centre and this must be an incentive for us to have a go at them.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:55 am

Don't think will catch highlights for future occasion. What the hell can you hope to gather from 45 seconds of feature. Action was 'sparse' and then some. Only a one goal event but if they don't bother to include anything substantial then why bother.

That aside and from commentary earlier there can be little doubt the best team won it. They're obviously poor, something of an inept team right now but you have to take to the field and beat what's in front of you to gain any victory.

I expect to overcome Southampton in next game or at the very least take a point from it. We won't lose. It' s like 5 wins from 6 and while the team may need replacement in one or two key areas, other players and positions of the field are doing their jobs admirably. Don't know how many made the trip for it, TWTD didn't specify but all said we got the win and the (highly) commendable start continues.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:12 am

Thanks for the report Mach. Good to hear Williams played well, we’re gonna need him. We’ll have to be careful against Southampton…they’re a wounded animal at present. Good win today! Shame the hooligan element is returning to English football. Maybe it’s time for the EFL to rethink its security policies?