Championship - Southampton FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Plenty of Goals?

Saints Win
29%
Town Win
41%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 17

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Southampton FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:02 pm

Image Southampton FC v Ipswich Town Image

Tuesday 19th September 2023 – 19:45

St Marys

Pre-Match Thoughts Mike

Town's very impressive start to the season continued with another win at a very sad looking Hillsborough on Saturday. It was a performance that at times had some real quality about it and other times looked very hard work against a team which quite frankly we should have put to the sword given how poor they were and how many chances we created.

The first half really was all One way traffic with several chances going begging, Ladapo was the first to squander a golden opportunity following good work down the right from Burns after being sent away by Chaplin, Ladapo really should have scored but fired his effort straight at the advancing keeper when it looked easier to score. Next it was the very bright Wes Burn's turn to miss a good opportunity, this time Broadhead played his fellow Welshman in but Burns shot was again saved by their keeper, the rebound fell to Chaplin but on this occasion he was not up to the task.

Wednesday were offering very little in terms of attacking play and just when it looked like we were heading into the break with nothing to show for all our dominance we got the goal that our efforts deserved. A lovely flowing move down our left saw Massimo Luongo play in Leif Davis who bombed forward before crossing where the ever alert Conor Chaplin was on hand to fire home through a ruck of players to send the Town faithful wild at the other end of the Stadium.

Our good fortune turned to bad moments later when Davis was helped from the pitch with a serious looking Ankle injury to be replaced by Brandon Williams, shortly after the Half Time whistle blew to end a half which Town had pretty much dominated throughout, it hadn't been particularly pretty, it never is when Wednesday play but we had took the game to them and Hladky in Town's goal had been a virtual spectator.

The second half started in much the same vein with Town on the front foot, a brilliant save from Vasquez denied Harry Clarke from heading us further in front. As the half wore on it was clear that our hosts were definitely coming more into the game, albeit with very little goal threat and Town seemed content to soak up what they had to offer while looking to catch them on the break, at the back Woolfy and Burgess were mopping up everything with Burgess in particular enjoying a very good afternoon. Brandon Williams had also impressed since his introduction with One lung busting run in particular almost getting Town in on goal, only the final ball letting him down.

George Hirst entered the fray and really did cause their defence a few problems, something Ladapo had not really done all afternoon, that said Hirst should really have put One of those chances away but again that killer second goal just would not come. Firstly he lofted the ball over the advancing keeper after good work from Clarke but the effort cleared the bar, then moments later an even better chance was missed by the big striker as he fired straight at the keeper with the goal at his mercy.

In truth Town saw the game out with little fuss to claim a Third straight win on the road and make it Five wins from Six Championship games to keep well in touch at the top of the table. It has to be said that Wednesday look a clueless mess, they created virtually nothing and by the close had not registered a single shot on target and to think we were only "ok" on the day too. Some would argue they get what they deserve after the Summer goings on and reading their forum the Owner is without question a disliked individual indeed. Normally you would say Hillsborough is a great place to get a win but on yesterday's evidence I would suggest everyone will be winning there if they don't greatly improve.

Next up we head to St Mary's and what looks on paper a very tough game against recently relegated Southampton FC. It has been a really odd start to the season for Southampton, yes they sit handily placed in Ninth place with ten points and on the face of it doing ok, however they have had a couple of really poor day's at the office in their last Two outings, firstly Sunderland smashed Five passed them just before the International break then this weekend Leicester drubbed them 4-1 so that's Nine goals conceded in Two games and Sixteen in total, the worst in the division, with the way Town attack and crate chances you have to think we can cause them some problems in that department.

I didn't think prior to the season that there would be a good time to play Southampton but I genuinely do believe this could be it, Russel Martin is under pressure and the confidence in the Saints defence must be brittle at best, it has to be said that going forward they do look handy but having lost Two on the bounce they will be weary of our threat.

I can see Town making a change or Two, it's pretty certain Leif Davis will be missing so Brandon Williams will most certainly continue while I expect to see George Hirst back and leading the line, I would also not be at all surprised to see Jack Taylor maybe come in for Massimo Luongo given the quick turnaround in games, not sure where I sit with that One as Luongo & Morsy just run the Midfield for us and it would be a shame to break the partnership up.

I will have just boarded a ship prior to kick off so the bloody WIFI better be good as I don't want to miss this one !!! You do feel at some point Southampton will sort their leaky defence out but on the other hand we are so hard to contain when going forward, I am confident there will be goals and I think we can cause another mini shock so I am edging towards a 2-1 Town win, whatever happens what a start to the season it has been !!!! COYB'S.

The Opposition – Southampton FC Honours

Titles

Third Division / League One
1921–22 (South), 1959–60

Southern League: 6
1896–97, 1897–98, 1898–99, 1900–01, 1902–03, 1903–04

FA Cup
1975–76

Football League Trophy
2009–10

Runners-up and promotions

First Division / Premier League
Runners-up: 1983–84

Second Division / Championship
2nd place promotion: 1965–66, 1977–78, 2011–12

Third Division / League One
2nd place promotion: 2010–11

FA Cup
Runners-up: 1899–1900, 1901–02, 2002–03

Football League Cup
Runners-up: 1978–79, 2016–17

Full Members' Cup
Runners-up: 1991–92

The Manager – Russell Martin

League Table as at 18.09.2023

Form Guide

Southampton FC

12 Aug Southampton 4 - 4 Norwich City

19 Aug Plymouth 1 - 2 Southampton

26 Aug Southampton 2 - 1 QP Rangers

2 Sep Sunderland 5 - 0 Southampton

15 Sep Southampton 1 - 4 Leicester City

Ipswich Town

12 Aug Ipswich Town 2 - 0 Stoke City

19 Aug QP Rangers 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

26 Aug Ipswich Town 3 - 4 Leeds Utd

2 Sep Ipswich Town 3 - 2 Cardiff City

16 Sep Sheffield Wed 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

Head to Head

Match Referee – Josh Smith

SOUTHAMPTON FC 2 IPSWICH TOWN 2

Mauswara

Re: Championship - Southampton FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Mauswara » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:06 am

Am I getting old or is that ref a schoolkid ?

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:44 am

Mauswara wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:06 am
Both, I’m afraid.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:54 am

Lol :lol: :lol:

Despite a few changes to our team Tuesday night . The momentum is with us, so I’m sticking my neck out and going for a win ….

COYBS

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:04 am

If their defence is as ropey as the last Two games I've seen we'll win

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:11 am

Mauswara wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:06 am
Any ref with the name “Josh” is too young.

Like workmen. You want a John or a Billy to do yer plumbing…….. when Jordan, Aiden or Josh turn up ——>> forget it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:12 am

So’Ton manager headline:
“For Farkes Sake, Thats Russell.”

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:37 pm

I think Southampton will be looking to get back on track, and unfortunately for us the timing of this fixture is not good. Davis hasn't missed many games since arriving, so his absence will affect the equilibrium to some degree. Additionally; a few international players may still be recovering from their long journeys, especially Morsy. I hope I'm wrong.

Southampton 2 v 1 ITFC

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:32 pm

I'm hoping for a draw here but would not be surprised if we come unstuck.

COYB!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:11 pm

Yep, good preview and share your view that this may be a very good time to face them at The Dell (or St Marys) ..... face them when they are "tinkering to sort".

This quote from the preview:

I will have just boarded a ship prior to kick off so the bloody WIFI better be good as I don't want to miss this one !!! You do feel at some point Southampton will sort their leaky defence out but on the other hand we are so hard to contain when going forward, I am confident there will be goals and I think we can cause another mini shock so I am edging towards a 2-1 Town win, whatever happens what a start to the season it has been !!!! COYB'S.
(End quote)

:shock: Jeezo...., stop talking!! :lol:

2-1 ITFC

COYB's

Ref caption:
Notice outside Portman Road all week.

GAME V SO'TON CHANGED TO 4:30pm KO AS JOSH's BEDTIME IS NO LATER THAN 8:00PM....., BED AFTER CORRIE, JOSH

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:09 pm

Lmao, that was a titanic effort writing that.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:11 pm

This bloody Ref did the 4-4 at Charlton so be prepared for 30 minutes added time

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:09 pm
Lmao, that was a titanic effort writing that.
Do you ever get home from work…exhausted, hungry and happy to be home thinking about what’s for tea…maybe a nice hot bubble bath to soothe your loins…maybe the missus will be up for a massage…a few candles and incense….steam frosting the bathroom mirror?

Then you remember, oh f*ck I have to write the fuckin match preview!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:37 am

It's been a bit like that a few times yes lol but we get there in the end, when it's massage time or something along those lines it's a case of " f*ck the preview until tomorrow, Frosty won't mind"

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:42 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:37 am
It's been a bit like that a few times yes lol but we get there in the end, when it's massage time or something along those lines it's a case of " f*ck the preview until tomorrow, Frosty won't mind"
Always appreciative of your efforts, mate!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:22 am

It's a pleasure

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:48 am

No need to vote on who's going to win, think we'll just let the game take place and let everything fall as it may. They took a beating at home last time out but can't or won't read too much into it as they could just as well take three points from it when time arises. All we need do is work hard for the ninety minutes and each department does what it's supposed to, and we'll likely take something from it.

Too bad they picked a kid from ninth grade to officiate but seems it's nothing new. For a game of seeming importance would have gone with something a little more senior or requisite experience but sometimes you just ask what's the use.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:58 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:11 pm
Yep, good preview and share your view that this may be a very good time to face them at The Dell (or St Marys) ..... face them when they are "tinkering to sort".

I heard of people spending six months on a leaky boat, you'd think Frosty'd know better really.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:23 am

Having a mini-break in the New Forest so thought it would be rude not to take in the game tonight. After two heavy defeats the Saints will be looking to put things right tonight. Would be happy with a point ( I sound like MM now :lol:), as 4 points out of 6 from 2 away games would be a very good return.
Blowing a gale down here this morning which if it continues will make playing conditions difficult tonight.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:03 am

Mauswara wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:58 am
marko69 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:11 pm

I heard of people spending six months on a leaky boat, you'd think Frosty'd know better really.

Last I heard you were on a plane to Mallorca, are you on a ship or a boat ? ….. either way you’re unlikely to have enough internet speed to watch a footie match mate. I think at best you’ll be following live text on either BBC or Sky, anything better will be a bonus unless of course you’re in port and can find a bar. Wi-Fi at sea is crap.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:46 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:23 am
Having a mini-break in the New Forest so thought it would be rude not to take in the game tonight. After two heavy defeats the Saints will be looking to put things right tonight. Would be happy with a point ( I sound like MM now :lol:), as 4 points out of 6 from 2 away games would be a very good return.
Blowing a gale down here this morning which if it continues will make playing conditions difficult tonight.
Our last mini-break in the UK was also in the New Forest in New Year 2019 and just loved it there. I’m not sure what St Mary’s Stadiu is like but the Old Dell was a nightmare when the wind was blowing strong and the new place is even closer to the estuary.

Enjoy they game 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:02 am

I may have posted this earlier somewhere but couldn’t find it, but after watching both Southampton v Leicester on Friday and our game v Wednesday on Saturday, if we want to win this game we may need to up our pace of play which is what Keicter did and they couldn’t handle it. It’s a shame about Leif Davis because with him on one wing and Brandon Williams on the other that would have given us a great advantage. It would also be a good game to give Hutchinson a start.

Whatever we do we have to stand a decent chance of getting something out of this game although Southampton may well set up very defensively to avoid another hammering.

One thing for sure with Norwich playing Leicester City tomorrow night and Preston entertaining Birmingham City whatever happens the League Table May well start opening up.

I’ve just seen tomorrows games include Blackburn v Sunderland and Hull v Leeds so the top half of the table is in for a good sort out over the next 36 hrs.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:21 pm

Is the New Forest a whole lot of young saplings? Did the old one get used for firewood?

Asking for a friend :wink:

Actually Mausawra, I never realised until a few weeks ago that 6 months in a leaky boat was banned in the UK due to the Falkland war. ( the song had nothing to do with the war in case anyone is wondering)

What a major p*ss off for Split Enz, a hit that wasn’t to be.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:19 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:03 am
Wi-Fi at sea is crap.
Can’t speak for all you cruisers, but the Wifi at sea would be the VERY least of my worries.
🤢🤢🤢🤮

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:40 pm

Just paid to watch this on Town tv :D usually blocked in my area,guess will have to fork out for a vpn,look forward to finally watching a game,did see the Sunderland game on sky,difficult away game but Southampton are leaking goals :D

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:10 pm

Frosty wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:21 pm
Is the New Forest a whole lot of young saplings? Did the old one get used for firewood?

Asking for a friend :wink:

Actually Mausawra, I never realised until a few weeks ago that 6 months in a leaky boat was banned in the UK due to the Falkland war. ( the song had nothing to do with the war in case anyone is wondering)

What a major p*ss off for Split Enz, a hit that wasn’t to be.
You learn something every day.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:16 pm

Tonight I'd go with

Hladky

Clark
Woflie
Burges
Williams

Morsy
Taylor

Jackson
Chaplin
Broadhead

Hirst

And make changes on 60mins ideally to rotate.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:16 pm

Tonight I'd go with

Hladky

Clark
Woflie
Burges
Williams

Morsy
Taylor

Jackson
Chaplin
Broadhead

Hirst

And make changes on 60mins ideally to rotate.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:25 pm

Comfirmed starting 11 on ipswich star page .

Hladky

Clark
Woflie
Burges
Burns

Morsy
Taylor

Williams
Chaplin
Hutchinson

Hirst
Last edited by BLUEBLOOD on Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:33 pm

Reverse Burns & Williams according to BBC