Championship - Southampton FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Plenty of Goals?

Saints Win
29%
Town Win
41%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 17

Mach_Polish_Blue

Re: Championship - Southampton FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:14 pm

I'm literally lost for words. This what we have right now is a positive karma for the long years of pain.

This team and its professionalism, this club, this ownership.......what a complete contrast to literally everything pre-Gamechanger !

What a cesspit, what a toilet the club was under Evans. He wasn't even bothered to clean the stadium.

So proud of this team.

Burgess was colossal tonight !

Morsy imperious as ever !

I honestly can't believe it ! We are living a BLUE DREAM !!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:15 pm

Pity the prediction league wasn't on tonight....... I predicted 1-0 Ipswich, Hutchinson to score, Chaplin to assist, goal to be in the 30th min, and 3 shots on target......., Honest!! Nightmare

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:22 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:14 pm
I'm literally lost for words. This what we have right now is a positive karma for the long years of pain.

This team and its professionalism, this club, this ownership.......what a complete contrast to literally everything pre-Gamechanger !

What a cesspit, what a toilet the club was under Evans. He wasn't even bothered to clean the stadium.

So proud of this team.

Me too. There will be set backs, but finally we are moving forwards. Such a great feeling.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:25 pm

… and I’ve been banging my drum all week about the importance of giving Hutchinson a start tonight and for me. his selection was key tonight.

… and after that performance I’d be tempted to give him another start at the weekend.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:27 pm

Any one watching the sky sports special...that Courtney sweetman kirk had nothing to say about Ipswich..all Southampton. Its like she was in a state of shock that we were beating Southampton..only for Julian Warren sayin good things about us ..you would never know who Southampton was playing..the dozy. B***h

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:40 pm

So, a bit like shitfacesutton not saying anything in the media about us now. He can’t can he, coz we’re blowing his previous badmouthing of us out of the water … the six fingered c***T

See, I can do expletives about a biased pundit too. There are male and female versions of biased punditry.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:43 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:40 pm
So, a bit like shitfacesutton not saying anything in the media about us now. He can’t can he, coz we’re blowing his previous badmouthing of us out of the water … the six fingered c***T

See, I can do expletives about a biased pundit too. There are male and female versions of biased punditry.
I guess you don't like him.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:50 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:22 pm
Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:14 pm

So proud of this team.

Me too. There will be set backs, but finally we are moving forwards. Such a great feeling.
Of course there will be set-backs. But the club/team/ownership.....how different world for us nowadays.

Dare to say the only way to keep hold of McKenna is to get promoted. Otherwise there will be plenty of suitors next year.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:57 pm

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:57 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:43 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:40 pm

I guess you don't like him.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lol not much !!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:05 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:57 pm
Match highlights

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... outhampton
Superb stuff. Cheers Hallam. ......, you calmed down a bit? No more Sutton......., relax, breath!! :lol:

Great goal and even better celebration by Hutchinson. Fantastic.

Not too sure of the difficulty of that ball after it came off the bar from Chappers shot........., I reckon Hirst should've scored. Maybe that's being overly critical, but I think (IMO) --->> sitter.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:44 pm

That was our 4th clean sheet in our opening 7 games and three 1-0 wins which not long ago was a scoreline we rarely achieved.

Given we have our second string keeper in goal and and crap centre backs that’s not a bad start to the season.

All joking apart I thought our defence was awesome tonight and really limited Southamptons opportunities especially early on when they looked quite lively and determined to put two recent defeats behind them.

McKenna is doing so well preparing our team for games and getting his selections spot on. For me playing Omari Hutchinson tonight was masterclass and contributed massively to winning this game. The player himself may also have done enough to earn himself a second start on Saturday.

Overall all a very good nights work without exception.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:57 pm

Interestingly, when Kieran McKenna was appointed Ipswich Town head coach, we were 12th in League One and Southampton were 15th in the Premier League.

That’s some progress over such a short period. 👏👏👏

Long may it continue.

Maybe I will see Town play in the Premier League again in my lifetime which not long ago looked highly unlikely.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:08 am

See, this is what amazes me about KM. That ability to see different qualities in a player, to develop them, even if they've come from a team like Chelsea who you'd think should have a youth set up capable of doing that already.

Source EADT
"It was a great goal for Omari’s development," said McKenna.

"I’ve just been joking with him down there. From where he started a couple of months ago, to scoring his first professional goal from a sliding tackle... I don’t think he would have believed that could be part of his repertoire.

“It’s a great indication of the progress he’s been making and the standards and discipline he’s learning here. Alongside the goal his all-round defensive performance was excellent. Of course he showed his quality and bravery on the ball as well."

Asked if he'd spoken to the skilful winger about doing the ugly side of the game, McKenna smiled and replied: “Yeah, really clearly! He will attest to that! Part of the reason we spoke about that is because I think his capacity to do it is incredible.

"This probably surprised him, but when I met him over the summer I showed him some video and told him that I think he can be absolutely outstanding out of possession. He’s got the endurance to do it, he’s got the speed, he’s got the agility to move his feet. I think he can be top, top, top class out of possession.

“I said to him if he doesn’t utilise that part of the game, if he doesn’t come here and develop that part of is game, it would be waste of talent because there are not many wingers who have got the ability to do that side of the game naturally as well as he does
."

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:14 am

Brilliant result and well done the boys!

In response to all the positive feedback about our current position, its all down to good management and solid backing from our American friends, and of course the boys on the pitch.

Just goes to show you let the guys do their job, dont interfere, back them and look what happens, outstanding effort all.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:25 am

What another fantastic night following the boys in blue. Yet again the effort that the team put in was phenomenal. Hutchinson is getting a lot of the plaudits, rightly so, but once again this was a proper team performance.
As Mach said this is like a dream and at this moment in time I just don’t want it to end. As KM said in his post match interview, “we need to enjoy nights like this” and certainly the 2,700 Town fans in the ground did and I’m sure those watching and listening at home did!
COYB!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:57 am

That was a cracking goal, the effort off the bar was so unlucky, bit concerned Hirst missed another sitter from the rebound, he is pretty wasteful.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:08 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:57 am
Hirst missed another sitter from the rebound, he is pretty wasteful.
I just don't think he's very technically good :lol:, but his work rate makes up for it, he'll probably miss twice as many chances as Ladapo would, but I'd wager he'd get a fair few more chances and is a real thorn in defender's sides.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:48 am

Think the defender did well in closing Hirst down so quickly and deflecting the shot for a corner. Chaplin has certainly been unlucky with both his chip shots against Sunderland and Southampton. Certainly would be the favourite in any crossbar challenge.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:01 pm

Whichever way you look at things, it was a great result. Ok, so it should have been by more - but any impartial observer who had watched Southampton play Leicester and Ipswich would say that the only difference was the clinical finishing by Leicester - we certainly created enough chances.

Big plusses for me last night were the performances of Hutchinson, Williams, and Burgess - and I thought Scarlett looked more than useful too.

Slight negatives:
Taylor - I'm struggling to see the point of him, he looked totally out of his depth
Burns - missed an absolute sitter that would have changed the complexion of the game. If he can't kick the ball with his left foot then maybe he should consider an alternative career

That aside, I was really impressed with the team and it's ability to control the game with just a 1 goal lead - it's been many years since we've seen that.

Steve

Post by Steve » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:15 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:01 pm
Whichever way you look at things, it was a great result. Ok, so it should have been by more - but any impartial observer who had watched Southampton play Leicester and Ipswich would say that the only difference was the clinical finishing by Leicester - we certainly created enough chances.

Big plusses for me last night were the performances of Hutchinson, Williams, and Burgess - and I thought Scarlett looked more than useful too.

Slight negatives:
Taylor - I'm struggling to see the point of him, he looked totally out of his depth
Burns - missed an absolute sitter that would have changed the complexion of the game. If he can't kick the ball with his left foot then maybe he should consider an alternative career

That aside, I was really impressed with the team and it's ability to control the game with just a 1 goal lead - it's been many years since we've seen that.
Just asking here, if that had nestled into the corner of the net rossi, would you have praised him?

I do agree he should of used his left foot but have seen many players trying the outside of boot curler. Over all thought Burns played well, he also had a fantastic game against Sheffield Wednesday. Lets don't knock him all the time when things don't come off if can't praise him when he plays well

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:51 pm

Think it's more about "man-buns on burns" than soccer.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:52 pm

Steve wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:15 pm
rossi wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:01 pm

Slight negatives:

Just asking here, if that had nestled into the corner of the net rossi, would you have praised him?

I do agree he should of used his left foot but have seen many players trying the outside of boot curler. Over all thought Burns played well, he also had a fantastic game against Sheffield Wednesday. Lets don't knock him all the time when things don't come off if can't praise him when he plays well
I don't think that's a question I can answer - fact is that from the angle he was and with an opponent partly to his right, the obvious action was to use his left foot - as it was he used his right foot and failed to get any curl on the ball at all.

As for praising him - yes, of course I'll praise him if and when he plays well - FWIW I thought he was lazy last night and gave the ball away far too much on Saturday. There's a reason why his previous times at this level resulted him being constantly loaned out to lower league clubs, that's all I'm saying

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:36 pm

I don't think that really paints a fair picture Rossi. As far as I can see, the last time he played in the championship he was 20 years old, he's now 28, which is a players prime in my opinion. Write him off at this level if you like, but I wouldn't base it on the dozen or so games he played 8 years ago.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:20 pm

Ricco wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:36 pm
I don't think that really paints a fair picture Rossi. As far as I can see, the last time he played in the championship he was 20 years old, he's now 28, which is a players prime in my opinion. Write him off at this level if you like, but I wouldn't base it on the dozen or so games he played 8 years ago.
Rossi just has a pickle up his arse when it comes to Burns. In my opinion he’s served us well and scored a lot of goals which helped in our promotion. I dunno, Rossi strikes me as the sort of fella who makes his mind up about people in football and in life. If they don’t meet his high standards, then they’re dross. Chill out Rossimito, won’t be long before you’re sipping a margarita in the Philippines. Toes in the hot sand, and another beer just a flick of the fingers away.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:25 am

Ricco wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:36 pm
He was with Championship clubs when older than 20 - it's just he was loaned out rather than given games. Why was that, I wonder, plenty of players that age and younger have been regulars not only at Championship level but Premiership too.
I remember when we signed him, I had a conversation with Mike and said then that I was not impressed with the signing.
I've never rated him - can't help that, it's just the way I see it. I'm far from being fixed in my mind about anything or anybody (I used to hate Cognac, now I love it), and I'd really love it if he plays so well that my opinions of him and his ability change, but so far that hasn't happened.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:54 am

rossi wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:25 am
He was with Championship clubs when older than 20
Joined Fleetwood just after his 22nd Birthday, so hardly a seasoned pro! A lot of Bristol City fans spoke very highly of him and you don't know what kept him out the side, so like I say, have whatever opinion you want, but don't write him off based on that.
number 9 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:20 pm
Chill out Rossimito, won’t be long before you’re sipping a margarita in the Philippines. Toes in the hot sand, and another beer just a flick of the fingers away.
:lol: :lol: