Praise from a Budgie

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Praise from a Budgie

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:14 am

Norwich City legend Iwan Roberts has heaped praise on Ipswich Town after watching them in action.

The ex-striker was at Portman Road for the Blues' thrilling comeback win over Cardiff before the international break - and admitted to an admiration for Kieran McKenna's men.

Writing in his Pink Un column for our sister paper the EDP, Roberts gushed: "I was very impressed with Town.

"What the manager's done is fantastic, because it's not been a happy club, it's not been a happy place for a good few years with the previous owner and with some of the managers they’ve had.

"There has been a disconnect between the players on the pitch and the fans in the stands. It hasn’t always been a good atmosphere, the stadium was often half empty.

"But I was there on Saturday and I know that is a good side. They are a very attacking side. But I didn't realise just how good they were.

"There’s high intensity work rate, pressing as a team, not just in ones and twos, but as a team.

"Early balls into the box, getting bodies forward. No wonder they scored 101 goals last season - I can see why with the chances that they created.

"I think Kieran McKenna has united the whole football club. They've got a group of players now who are talented, but first and foremost they work their socks off."

This season will see Town try to end 14 years without a win in the East Anglian derby, with the Blues hosting Norwich on Saturday, December 16, before the return in Norfolk on Saturday, April 6.

And Roberts says those games could be ones for the ages - although he believes Town do have a weakness.

"I will say one thing about Ipswich – it’s been far too easy, as we all know, for Norwich over the last 10 years whenever they have faced each other," he explained.

"But I get the feeling that the next two derby games are going to be special.

"They've got a belief that they've got something special going on down there and while I can only go by one game, what I saw I was really impressed - really impressed.

"The only thing that might let them down is I don't think they've got the strength in depth.

"I don't think they were able to add as much in the window because they couldn't compete with some of the clubs who had been in the Premier League and got the parachute payments.

"I think they missed out on one or two of their targets."

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Praise from a Budgie

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:16 am

Was actually going to post this yesterday, but feared a “fk them, who cares” response. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:22 am

LOL, that would probably have been me !!! Nice to see at least One of them has a modicum of sense.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:11 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:22 am
LOL, that would probably have been me !!! Nice to see at least One of them has a modicum of sense.
Yes, take note Mr Sutton!

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:28 pm

I've always liked Roberts well being truthful since I read this 🤣🤣

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:17 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:11 am
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:22 am
Yes, take note Mr Sutton!
Shitface Sutton had been very notable by his absence since this season had started.