EFLC R3 - Ipswich Town vs Wolverhampton Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread (thanks to G&B)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Who is going through to the 4th Round?

Town
50%
Wolves
39%
Shootout
11%

Total votes: 18

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: EFLC R3 - Ipswich Town vs Wolverhampton Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread (thanks to G&B)

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:37 am

From Hladky to Taylor, 20 passes with no Wolves touch, exquisite.

Andym

Re: EFLC R3 - Ipswich Town vs Wolverhampton Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread (thanks to G&B)

Post by Andym » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:30 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:37 am
You could hear a few groans as we played it out from the back. Hopefully that goal will shut them up.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:42 pm

Andym wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:30 am
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:37 am
You could hear a few groans as we played it out from the back. Hopefully that goal will shut them up.
Didn’t groan but bloody hell it’s not good for the old heart at times especially as Hladky had some nervy moments with the ball at his feet again. Was a bit surprised that Hladky started and wonder if it was a case of KM wanting a senior man in goal against higher level of opposition or is the plan to bring Walton back straight into the side when he is fit?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:13 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:42 pm
Didn’t groan but bloody hell it’s not good for the old heart at times especially as Hladky had some nervy moments with the ball at his feet again. Was a bit surprised that Hladky started and wonder if it was a case of KM wanting a senior man in goal against higher level of opposition or is the plan to bring Walton back straight into the side when he is fit?
Playing out from the back is fine when opposition players are not crowding the box, but we continued to piddle about with the ball when under pressure. I don't like it...it just opens the door for an error. With that said, I'm hoping Hladky keeps the starting spot for now. Nothing wrong with giving Walton plenty of time to regain fitness until we need him.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:42 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:13 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Playing out from the back is fine when opposition players are not crowding the box, but we continued to piddle about with the ball when under pressure. I don't like it...it just opens the door for an error. With that said, I'm hoping Hladky keeps the starting spot for now. Nothing wrong with giving Walton plenty of time to regain fitness until we need him.
Totally agree 9. The times you see teams (not just us) play the ball from the keeper to a player facing their own goal who is under pressure from the oppositions high press is at times asking for trouble. Yes if you can break the press quickly it works fine but as you say it opens the door for an error.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:31 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:35 pm
What a thoroughly enjoyable evening! I feared the worst at 0-2 but we kept playing our game and stuck at it. Wolves imploded and to be honest, I thought they looked lazy at the back. We certainly wanted it more and by half way through the second half, anyone tuning in from space would have thought we were the Prem side. Baggott excellent, Taylor bery good, Hutchinson brilliant and Hladky again made saves when we needed it. I wouldn't have swapped any of our players for the £45m bloke whoever he was. The number 11 was their best player by a mile and caused us trouble but they subbed him! I also thought 2000 Wolves fans were almost non existent after we got our first goal. I guess we have been there when the club seems on a big decline. I look at all of the foreign names on their team sheet and cannot help but think that is part of the problem. No Steve Bull or Derek Dougans any more - just non descript foreign whoevers who are not up for the fight but just want the money. Please don't let that happen to us... Sorry G&B but I don't envy you in that league one bit and I know you share that view. What fun it is to be a Town fan again. Enjoy everyone!
A very levelled post Wilf, and cant disagree with any of it,
I dislike everything about China, (except perhaps No 47 with rice) :lol: but like yourselves we needed to get rid of our previous owner but never have been that easy with them at our club.

That 45m player Silva was purchased with the money we got from selling Jota to LiVARpool, has been out on lone most of his spell here and should never be playing here, was more to do with his and our agent making a quick buck, must admit when Nuno bought him he said he was for the future but then had to play him to young after Raúl Jiménez life threatening injury,

Also our fans this season have seen us destroy clubs in the first half just to throw it all away, so they just knew what was coming, plus it’s a long and expensive trip on a Tuesday night to watch a make do team.
Must add VAR seem to help to lose us points, 5 so far this season,

Interesting read, Corrupt, biased and inept… | Molineux Mix, I really do think its all do do with anti China,shame it involves our club.
https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/forum/ind ... A6.724997/

On the plus side the Chinese government have apparently told all their companies to stop all the Chinese investment in sport overseas,
So roll on some folk with morals buy them out.
Anyway best of luck in the next round and the rest of this season, COYW & T :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:46 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:13 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
We have to get used to it though as playing it out from the back is what our success is currently being built upon, it opens the opposition up and draws them out where we then play through or around them, it's not gonna change and nor should it, yes at times my heart is in my mouth but we are excellent at it. Also Hladky is the best keeper we have with ball at feet, at times Walton is shocking tbh, Hlady has made crucial saves in every game this season and apart from the Leeds game he's been free of any blame, for me he has to stay as the Number One whether Walton is fit or not, it would be very harsh to drop him now and poor management.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:46 pm

We have to get used to it though as playing it out from the back is what our success is currently being built upon, it opens the opposition up and draws them out where we then play through or around them, it's not gonna change and nor should it, yes at times my heart is in my mouth but we are excellent at it. Also Hladky is the best keeper we have with ball at feet, at times Walton is shocking tbh, Hlady has made crucial saves in every game this season and apart from the Leeds game he's been free of any blame, for me he has to stay as the Number One whether Walton is fit or not, it would be very harsh to drop him now and poor management.
I agree. We will give a goal away playing from the back at some point, but I hope that when we do, people will remember the goals it helped create like that one last night. As you (Bluemike) say, it creates space by drawing the opposition out. I think there are times when you just need to put a foot through it, but overall it is working well.

Hladky has done very well, some excellent saves mist games. The only advantage I think that Walton has is that he commands the box better at crosses.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:07 pm

Yeah I totally get the effectiveness of playing the ball out from the back. I’m just saying we need to mix it up a bit, so we’re not predictable. Sometimes a long pass or throw into space can create attacking options, especially when the opposition is pressing. Don’t wanna be a one trick pony all the time. Just sayin…

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:17 pm

It seems to be a commonly used tactic in most higher level games these days. As soon as you hoof it you almost certainly give possession away.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:47 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:17 pm
It seems to be a commonly used tactic in most higher level games these days. As soon as you hoof it you almost certainly give possession away.
…unless Omari Hutchinson receives the ball then who knows! :lol:

Kramer

Post by Kramer » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:55 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:07 pm
Yeah I totally get the effectiveness of playing the ball out from the back. I’m just saying we need to mix it up a bit, so we’re not predictable. Sometimes a long pass or throw into space can create attacking options, especially when the opposition is pressing. Don’t wanna be a one trick pony all the time. Just sayin…
I see what you are saying friend, don't want to be too one dimensional and be found out. On the other side of that argument: Just keep on going until teams can stop it? Regardless, I trust in McKenna to change things up and be flexible tactically if/when that occurs.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:04 pm

Kramer wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:55 pm
number 9 wrote:
I see what you are saying friend, don't want to be too one dimensional and be found out. On the other side of that argument: Just keep on going until teams can stop it? Regardless, I trust in McKenna to change things up and be flexible tactically if/when that occurs.

sorry, missed your post the other day, welcome to the forum and thanks for contributing.

Kramer

Post by Kramer » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:09 pm

Frosty wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:04 pm
Kramer wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:55 pm
number 9 wrote:

sorry, missed your post the other day, welcome to the forum and thanks for contributing.
No worries and appreciate that friend, glad to be here.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:24 pm

Frosty needs friends, Kramer! He had a lot of sheep friends, but not too many humans. Don’t p*ss him off though cuz he’ll ban you faster than a galloping ewe!

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:35 pm

number 9 wrote:
I agree. It’s much easier to defend against predictability. There are times when a hoof is demanded by necessity, and mixing it up a bit makes it harder to play against. But overall it’s working well for us at the moment.
It’s quite interesting that we play out from the back with short passes, but then we are often looking for the long diagonal ball out to the wings, or the long ball over the top.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:42 pm

I think the ball from Burgess through to Hirst demonstrated we can definitely mix it up

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:59 pm

……. And that Burgess is a decent CB who can also bring the ball out of defence. 👍