EFLC R3 - Ipswich Town vs Wolverhampton Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread (thanks to G&B)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Who is going through to the 4th Round?

Town
50%
Wolves
39%
Shootout
11%

Total votes: 18

Frosty
Forum Owner

EFLC R3 - Ipswich Town vs Wolverhampton Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread (thanks to G&B)

Post by Frosty » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:37 am

Image Ipswich Town v Wolverhampton WanderersImage

Tuesday 26th September 2023 – 19:45

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts – Dave

A massive thanks to John (GoldandBlack) for assisting me with this one.

Also Mike is threatening to take legal action on me if I say anything that puts him in harms way after being captured by Somali pirates

The Opposition - Wolverhampton Wanderers – History/Honours

A complete history of Wolverhampton Wanderers FC according to John (not the biblical one)

Formed in 1888 in Staffordshire by local mercenaries who travelled and explored new inhabited colonies in Great Britain.

Starting in East Anglia they came across a tribe called Nor-folk they soon realised it was a waste of the beads and chocolate bars trying to make sense of the locals.

Moving south they came across another settlement called Ipswich, they soon realised there was hope here and was excepted by the tribal chief GeronimoMike the Crazy Horse, on the understanding the mercenaries taught them how to play a game called football invented in the West Midlands.

The mercenaries moved on south to Essex leaving just Lone Wolf to show them how to play the game. Unknown to the mercenary’s lone Wolf only taught them half the game and would have to travel back there every few years to teach them more.

On their return they re-named themselves Wolverhampton Wanderers. And started a football league to educates other parts of the country.

League

First Division / Premier League
Champions: 1953–54, 1957–58, 1958–59
Runners-up: 1937–38, 1938–39, 1949–50, 1954–55, 1959–60

Second Division / Championship
Champions: 1931–32, 1976–77, 2008–09, 2017–18
Runners-up: 1966–67, 1982–83
Play-off winners: 2003

Third Division North / Third Division / League One
Champions: 1923–24 (North), 1988–89, 2013–14

Fourth Division / League Two
Champions: 1987–88

Cup

FA Cup
Winners: 1892–93, 1907–08, 1948–49, 1959–60
Runners-up: 1888–89, 1895–96, 1920–21, 1938–39

Football League Cup
Winners: 1973–74, 1979–80

FA Charity Shield
Winners: 1949*, 1954*, 1959, 1960* (* shared)

Football League War Cup
Winners: 1942

UEFA Cup
Runners-up: 1971–72

Texaco Cup
Winners: 1970–71

USA Cup
Winners: 1967

The Manager – Gary O’Neil

John’s opinion - Not enough time to judge yet, not had the any help from VAR losing 4 points so far from admitted mistakes, since Nuno left it’s all been down hill, but still believe Gary can turn this around with the squad he’s got left.

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 6 Matches – Currently 2nd in the Championship

4 - 3
vs Blackburn (H)23 Sep 2023Sky Bet Championship

1 - 0
vs So'ton (A)19 Sep 2023Sky Bet Championship

1 - 0
vs Sheff Wed (A)16 Sep 2023Sky Bet Championship

3 - 2
vs Cardiff (H)2 Sep 2023Sky Bet Championship

2 - 2
vs Reading (A)29 Aug 2023Carabao Cup Second Round

3 - 4
vs Leeds (H)26 Aug 2023Sky Bet Championship

Wolves Last 6 Matches – Currently 16th in Premier League (would be 10th without VAR mistakes)

1 - 1
vs Luton (A)23 Sep 2023 Premier League

1 - 3
vs Liverpool (H)16 Sep 2023 Premier League

2 - 3
vs C Palace (A)3 Sep 2023 Premier League

5 - 0
vs Blackpool (H)29 Aug 2023 Carabao Cup Second Round

1 - 0
vs Everton (A)26 Aug 2023 Premier League

1 - 4
vs Brighton (H)19 Aug 2023 Premier League

Wolves Likely Team

Bentley

Doc, Bueno ,Kilman, Toti

Doyle, Lemina, Gomes,

Sarabia, Sasa ,Fabio

Wolves fans Views on the game

Madmaic Quote,

The tractor boys are flying high so it's a tough choice.
Play those who didn't start against Luton and those who started against Luton will be left thinking they're better than they actually are.
Play most of those who started against Luton and the reality check might crush them mentally.

………………………..

JRPB-3 Quote

Even if we start with a few of the squad players then I think we should have the first teamers on the bench. Let’s play an attacking line up and give us a good chance to win. Against City we probably need to play a defensive setup and try and nick something on the break so maybe rest some of the defence/ defensive midfield who will be need to work hard against city.

Head to Head

Match Referee - Sam Barrott

IPSWICH TOWN 1 WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS 1

Andym

Re: EFLC R3 - Ipswich Town vs Wolverhampton Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread (thanks to G&B)

Post by Andym » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:49 am

Given that we will probably make 11 changes, I can’t see us getting past Wolves.

Shed on tour

Re: EFLC R3 - Ipswich Town vs Wolverhampton Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread (thanks to G&B)

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:16 am

No doubt both sides will make numerous changes for this game. Whatever the lineup’s think Wolves will be too strong for us on the night.
Town 1 Wolves 3

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:44 am

Yawn...

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:19 pm

Come on Guys! Where is the optimism? Its a free hit for us against a struggling Wolves side who will also make changes. I am looking forward to it and rarely say that about this competition as we have rarely been in a round against anyone of note. So... I think we can at least draw it in 90 mins and then go for the penalty lottery. Lets keep the momentum up. COYB's!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:15 pm

I absolutely loved “According to John (not the biblical one)”. :lol: Purely for the use of the word “according” ….. that is proper “bible”. :lol: Nice one, Frosty.
And err, I heard those were Salami pirates who captured Mike. He’s currently being force fed large baguettes. Lucky b*stard.

9 ??? YAWN?? Come on, dude. This will be a decent fixture. Or is it the trophy you’re yawning at?
Seriously though, man……. On this site, you are one of the more articulate with words. Please don’t become one of those “yawn” tossers you see on other sites, (not here!)
(Disclaimer: not labelling anyone a tosser on here. No more complaints to the over worked and under staffed complaints dept!)

And to the game……. And so it is written, that He came down from the Heavens and provided Holy Spirit and Red Bull juice to Kayden, and he advanced henceforth into the 18 yard box of Holiness and unleashed not one, but three lightening strikes of net bursting glory. And it came to pass that the “pass” became assists, and then the wolved headed creatures retreated back up the letter M and number 6 on chariots of much sombreness. And so it is written.

Ref caption:

Thinks: Is that a wolves fan INTENTIONALLY making himself ginger?

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:04 pm

I think some of you are underestimating the quality we have with the bench subs and youth, I'm sure we will give Wolves a good game as there are players just chunking at the bit to show just what they can achieve, so I'm going for a 2-1 win COYB

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:43 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:04 pm
I think some of you are underestimating the quality we have with the bench subs and youth, I'm sure we will give Wolves a good game as there are players just chunking at the bit to show just what they can achieve, so I'm going for a 2-1 win COYB
Agree, if I was a neutral I would put my money on the Town, We are in a bad place at the moment and cant see us getting anything from the game,

Ipswich Town 1 v Wolves 3. (still cant bring myself to predict a loss for the Mighty Wolves ) :wink:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:47 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:15 pm
I absolutely loved “According to John (not the biblical one)”. :lol: Purely for the use of the word “according” ….. that is proper “bible”. :lol: Nice one, Frosty.
And err, I heard those were Salami pirates who captured Mike. He’s currently being force fed large baguettes. Lucky b*stard.

9 ??? YAWN?? Come on, dude. This will be a decent fixture. Or is it the trophy you’re yawning at?
Seriously though, man……. On this site, you are one of the more articulate with words. Please don’t become one of those “yawn” tossers you see on other sites, (not here!)
(Disclaimer: not labelling anyone a tosser on here. No more complaints to the over worked and under staffed complaints dept!)

And to the game……. And so it is written, that He came down from the Heavens and provided Holy Spirit and Red Bull juice to Kayden, and he advanced henceforth into the 18 yard box of Holiness and unleashed not one, but three lightening strikes of net bursting glory. And it came to pass that the “pass” became assists, and then the wolved headed creatures retreated back up the letter M and number 6 on chariots of much sombreness. And so it is written.

Ref caption:

Thinks: Is that a wolves fan INTENTIONALLY making himself ginger?

As there was so much interest in our history.

Another part of the Diary by these missionaries,
Part .2.

Reaching the border of Suffolk and Essex and asking a native (who seemed to have a bit of a Sheffield accent) if there was a better way to London Town he said” The only way is Essex,” so on we went, reaching a settlement in mid Essex called Broomfield we decided to make camp for the night under a full moon, and spread the word in the morning,
Around 1am we heard this noise coming from the big pond nearby, on investigation we see 5 men casting a net in the pond.
We said to one of them it’s a bit late for fishing, this fella said they weren’t fishing they were trying to catch the moon in the pond,
Trying to humour these locals we said “have you tried catching the sun in the pond in the daytime instead,”
This fella looked puzzled and said “don’t be stupid it would burn the net,
Deciding it was obvious we were too late for these simple folk. In the morning we moved on to London,

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:45 pm

Wolves head to Ipswich Town on Tuesday evening as the Old Gold look to make in into the fourth round of the 2023/24 Carabao Cup.
Just over 2,000 supporters will be travelling to Portman Road for the 7.45pm kick-off as Gary O’Neil’s side face the Tractor Boys in the third round clash.
For those making the journey to Ipswich on Tuesday, here is everything you need to know…
https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/club/2023 ... vs-wolves/

First start for £5m signing as Gary O’Neil braves eight changes - Wolves predicted XI gallery v Ipswich Town..
Hugo Bueno.
Mario Lemina
Tom Doyle
Fabio Silva
Pablo Sarabia
https://www.thestar.co.uk/jpim-static/i ... &width=800
Sasa Kalajdzic
Hwang Hee-Chan
Dan Bentley

Time for Enso Gonzalez to shine for Wolves
And he surely has to consider handing Gonzalez a debut.
Gonzalez arrived at Wolves the day before transfer deadline day from Libertad, for a reported fee of around £10 million.
His arrival came fairly out of the blue, but the club are very excited about the Paraguayan starlet.
Last edited by goldandblack on Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:27 pm

Deleted that. :lol: It was originally O'Neil & McKenna

I'd said they could be unidentical twins.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:39 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:27 pm
Deleted that. :lol: It was originally O'Neil & McKenna

I'd said they could be unidentical twins.
Sorry about that, yeah there is a similarity, but it stops there i think with their futures at the 2 clubs

Bring back Nuno,

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:03 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:19 pm
Come on Guys! Where is the optimism? Its a free hit for us against a struggling Wolves side who will also make changes. I am looking forward to it and rarely say that about this competition as we have rarely been in a round against anyone of note. So... I think we can at least draw it in 90 mins and then go for the penalty lottery. Lets keep the momentum up. COYB's!
A positivity post ?????

You’re banned! :lol: :wink:

Kramer

Post by Kramer » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:40 am

Wolves are struggling something mighty in the Prem so far, but still have some good players; interested to see how much they go for it tomorrow as far as their personnel goes. Tbh though would be surprised if they don't come out with a very strong starting xi; not like their gonna win anything in the league, hell are a relegation candidate, so this competition is their best chance of having any kind of positivity this season.

I voted for us winning and I think we will;2-1 with our main man George with a late winner.

And hey first post here! Hope everyone gets my username and avatar haha. Anyway, only been a fan for a few years(My girlfriend, well ex-now, was from the Suffolk area, started watching the games with her) and stayed being a fan even when we broke up haha. Loving the direction the club is headed and only see more bright things in the future. If it matters at all, only other club I follow is Karlsruher SC and am actually the head of the North American KSC fan club. I know some Ipswich fans follow Dusseldorf so I hope its alright I follow a different German club haha. Oh and when looking at a forum to join, I liked the look of this one versus the other Ipswich forum. Hope I made the right choice :P

Thanks and here's to advancing in the cup!

:D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:46 am

In Jerry’s “Newman” voice, …., “Kramer!” :D

Welcome to the forum, dude…… hope its a place you’ll like. Its a great place to observe from a fence. 👍👌

Cheers 🤝

Edit to add: Did say “cheers” to a new member few years back with a 🍻 …… then was told about their struggles with alcohol. 🤦‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️
So err, please accept handshakes.
And maybe chocolate milkshakes.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:29 am

Welcome to the site Kramer, always good to have new Town fans join, it's a good site, quality over quantity.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:42 am

With luck we'll see a proper cup tie with a few goals. Town 3 - 2.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:15 pm

Hope Axlel Tuanzebe makes an appearance this evening, is he match fit?sounds like a good defender, what we need.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:28 pm

Yes, it's the trophy I'm yawning at. I will have an eye on the score, though.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:01 pm

the one to watch will be Hwang Hee-Chan, very underrated player it seems,
Cant see Pedro Neto playing but if he does LOOK OUT. :lol:

What the Mix are saying,
https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/forum/ind ... ad.725020/
And our Predictions
https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/forum/ind ... ns.724973/

Anyway, Have a great time tonight those luckily enough to go, it is usually a good close game,

.......C.O.Y.W The boys from the Back Country are BACK

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:39 pm

Bit of pessimism amongst that lot, Wolfie.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:05 pm

Going to sit this one out. Never wanted this tie or certain elements associated with it. The cancer parasites have spoiled it enough and just want or need no real involvement of it.

Just take the opportunity to wish the team well tonight. Hope to win, hope to progress, it's within our capabilities to extend into further round of competition. Pick a strong team, play like we mean to succeed and win. Go out there and do it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:16 pm

Bit f**king cryptic that one, Saint....., but if you have fallen ill, then hopefully a speedy recovery...........

........., It is the League Cup though......, the trophy you yourself want in that ITFC trophy cabinet. Same here. Hoping Kieron gives it an element of respect and its a decent game.

6-2 ITFC

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:19 pm

Both teams have made 10 changes, with Hladky the only survivor from the Blackburn game.

Town: Hladky, Ball, Edmundson, Baggott, Williams, Evans (C), Taylor, Jackson, Harness, Hutchinson, Ladapo.

Subs: Slicker, Donacien, Woolfenden, Burns, Humphreys, Luongo, Chaplin, Aluko, Hirst.

Wolves: Bentley, Doherty, S Bueno, Traore, Hwang, H Bueno, Kalajdzic, Jonny, Doyle, Sarabia, Toti.

Subs: King, Ait-Nouri, Gomes, Silva, Cunha, Kilman, Gonzalez, Hodge, Fraser.

Edmundson is the name which causes me most concern there. Think the best approach is not to expect anything from this, in truth a 2-3 goal defeat wouldn't really surprise me! When you're facing a 26 cap Spanish International you know you're playing a strong opposition!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:21 pm

Doherty :evil: ......., snap em! :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:41 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:21 pm
Doherty :evil: ......., snap em! :lol:
:lol:

See Jonny Otto is playing, been a great servant for the Wolves, not many left of the Nuno empire now,

Here's Jonny

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:44 pm

The match is on ESPN+, Ohio

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:47 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:39 pm
Bit of pessimism amongst that lot, Wolfie.
Pessimism comes with the job of supporting the Wolves mate.

Last edited by goldandblack on Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:49 pm

1-0 wolves- Hwang
Last edited by BLUEBLOOD on Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:50 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:49 pm
1-0 wolves
Hwang Hee-Chan