Championship - Ipswich Town vs Hull City AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A tough midweek fixture?

Ipswich Win
53%
Hull Win
No votes
Draw
47%

Total votes: 15

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Hull City AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:00 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:54 pm
JohnnyB wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:47 pm
It's looking more and more likely he'll take us up, make a good showing in the premier and then answer the call to sort the mess out at man u. We can't really complain and hopefully Ashton will have the right man to fill his shoes - like Brighton did when Potter went to Chelski.

In the meantime, what a ride we're having with this brilliant young coach. Happy days!
number 9 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:48 pm
I’m really impressed with that win. We’ve got something special going on. Don’t worry, KM is not going anywhere. He has a good rapport with MA, and his family is settled in Suffolk. He’s young and has loads of time to move up if he chooses.
Hope you’re both bang on the money with this. He’s the best since SBR. (In my opinion)
I’ve been saying that for a while, fortunately he’s contracted to the end of Season 2026/27 by which time we’ll hopefully be back in the Premier League. OMG. I can’t believe I’ve just said that.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:58 pm
Just landed……..
A flying boat?! :shock: What sort of holiday was this? :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:03 pm

We really shouldn’t underestimate just how good that win was tonight. Next up PNE, now win that and we really will be motoring. Interestingly, Preston visit Leicester tomorrow night, I think I might just watch that one.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:05 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:03 pm
We really shouldn’t underestimate just how good that win was tonight.
For sure. Ive been thinking draw all day. To win 3-0 was never in the thoughts. Really great win.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:14 pm

If someone told me at the start of the season that after 10 games we'd be 14 points ahead of Plymouth and 23 ahead of Sheffield Wednesday I suspect I'd have thought that to be a wee bit optimistic.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:37 pm

We were class from back to front. How these teams think they can give Burns and Chaplin that sort of space I will never know but its their loss! I have been watching Town for 50 years and I can't remember being this excited about games since I was a teenager. Long may it continue! Bring on saturday - COYB's!!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:42 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:14 pm
3-0, Town are superb tonight. For me Hirst is the key. His link up play is superb
Absolutely spot on about Hirst. His work rate was phenomenal again tonight and to think I had doubts about him when we signed him on loan. Shows how much I know! :lol:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:46 pm

You would have to go a long way to see a better team goal than the 2nd one tonight. Just wow!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:47 pm

THIS is what a squad that’s TOTALLY together looks like. Now tell me something special isn’t happening at Town 🥳

https://x.com/ipswichtown/status/170931 ... 6&t=p_G0AA

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:53 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:01 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:58 pm
Just landed……..
A flying boat?! :shock: What sort of holiday was this? :D
Cruise for a week then transfer to Majorca for a week, flew home this evening

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:55 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:47 pm
THIS is what a squad that’s TOTALLY together looks like. Now tell me something special isn’t happening at Town 🥳

Absolutely fantastic 👏

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:56 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:42 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:14 pm
3-0, Town are superb tonight. For me Hirst is the key. His link up play is superb
Absolutely spot on about Hirst. His work rate was phenomenal again tonight and to think I had doubts about him when we signed him on loan. Shows how much I know! :lol:
And that’s exactly what I see in Hirst as well . He’s still learning his game and as Town pundits said these players keep getting chances and in the end they will all start taking them. We are developing individually and collectively.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:55 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:47 pm

Absolutely fantastic 👏
There is such a togetherness in this squad now isn’t there: it’s truly unbelievable what’s happening at PR now.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:20 pm

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:37 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:55 pm
Get the impression we steamrolled them but stats suggest it were a much even contest. Possession and chances about equal. Guess we made the most of our play and took opportunities that came our way, and they didn't. Sometimes hard to ascertain facts when you're not there.
We did indeed steamroller them. Mick Mills on Radio Suffolk spoke about the stats and basically said that an outsider would see them and think it was evenly matched, and they couldn't be anymore wrong.
There was a momentary scary moment in the first half and a decent shot on target. In the second half Hladky could have thrown a cap on all their on target shots. Yes, Hull had some nice spells in possession but rarely could do much with it.
That for me (someone who gets to only a few games each season) was one of the most complete performances I've ever seen from Ipswich, especially when you take in Hull's away form to date! There were constantly eleven Ipswich heroes on that pitch.
A word for Edmundson as well! My eyes rolled when I saw his name in the starting line up. For a long while I felt there was an external element of imposter syndrome about him. The centre back who was constantly letting the side down! Well tonight I will eat every last morsel of humble pie! While I still felt edgy when he had the ball, but with Morsy always an available outlet, George sprayed some lovely passes out too! Even Mick Mills seemed very impressed.
A few stand out moments for me; Hladky taking two Hull players out of the game to get the ball rolling for goal number two. Chaplin's sublime turn and spinning of a Hull player. Finally that fantastic corner routine after Leif had had a word with Morsy, that was pure class!

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:49 am

Just woken up and still can’t believe it. I would have been happy with a draw beforehand, even more so when I saw the defensive line up.
But the defence was as brilliant as the rest of the team. Hull played as expected, lots of possession. Lots of excellent passing, but we made sure it didn’t lead anywhere. I don’t think they had a shot in the first half hour.
Meanwhile our play is much quicker from back to front these days. Not long ball, not hoof ball, but quick, accurate passing and 2 superb first half goals. The third goal came from Hurst chasing a ball that the defender had given up on.
A superb team performance. Before kick off I’d have been happy with 2 points from last night and Saturday, and we already have 3. Let’s hope we’re get something from Saturday too.
It looked like we should have had a penalty later on, but apart from that I thought the referee was outstanding, the best I’ve seen for a long time. All that and no yellow cards.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:48 am

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:36 pm
How much better TownTV is compared with ifollow. Well done ITFC 👏👏👏
Worked without a vpn last night,enjoy the studio chat with Matt Holland but prefer ifollow.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:04 am

Great goals and a great win! Only get to see the extended highlights over here but how awesome it all looks. Hull look like they came to play football too, hence the space afforded to our danger men.

At the moment we can't put a foot wrong, our challenge will be playing these teams a second time when they are more cautious and in some cases happy to go away with a point. But all successful teams have this challenge and some rise to it. Fully confident that we have the personnel to do the same.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:09 am

Watching highlights it looks like Davis, Chaplin, Hirst and Harness had excellent games too, the defence speaks for itself. Hladky is being a real star lately

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:17 am

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:28 am

Good news that Burgess is fit and KMc was playing Edmundson for tactical reasons, what a manager we have we are so lucky.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:40 am

That's the best I've seen from Burns in an Ipswich shirt - he looked half decent.

Great performance by all concerned. I see Burns was mad MOM, and whilst, as I said, he had a more than decent game I would have given MOM to Davis who I thought was absolutely suoerb

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:16 am

Andym wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:49 am
Just woken up and still can’t believe it.
I used to suffer from this about 20 years ago, Andy. But, quit smoking, cut waaaaaaay down on the pies & beer and hit the gym at least 3 times a week. All good 👍👌

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:31 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:40 am
That's the best I've seen from Burns in an Ipswich shirt - he looked half decent.

Great performance by all concerned. I see Burns was mad MOM, and whilst, as I said, he had a more than decent game I would have given MOM to Davis who I thought was absolutely suoerb
He did play well and it was a tremendous atmosphere last night. It was a truly enjoyable game, the stats can 'do one' because at 3-0 up we had Hull in our pocket and cruised for the last 20 mins.

I agree about Davis he was almost on another level and we were consistently able to pick him out, wide left.

So many good performances. Hirst didn't get a goal but he was a real menace - pressing, holding the ball up and tracking back.

Harness played well and my preference is Broadhead because I think the latter just has a better eye for goal - so I was really pleased to see Harness hit the back of the net.

Williams - excellent, he was just a bundle of bristling energy and was everywhere! The odd sloppy pass but cut that out and he is such a good fit for McKenna's style of play.

Edmundson. I really thought he had a great game and I enjoyed his tussle with Liam Delap, which he won hands down. Edmundson barely put a foot wrong.

Lastly Hladky - Vaz is like my dog, who refuses to accept she is a dog and behaves like a human. Vaz does not accept he's just a goalie and at moments last night looked like he was playing as an auxiliary sweeper. If McKenna wants to play out for the back, Vaz has received, read and understood that memo!

It's just amazing to see the cover we have now in several key areas (with the exception of Morsey). McKenna has done a brilliant job keeping all parts of the squad together and positive with everyone's toys mostly in their prams.

It's just football though right? Well, I went to bed happy and woke up still feeling the same way, so it does blo*dy matter.

COYB

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:49 am

Last two home games against Hull:

Both midweek.
Both 3-0 wins albeit different winners

That narcissist mccarthy gathering players on the pitch in front of more than half empty Portman Road and waffling some guff about the numbskulls.
Last night ... what a contrast ! Like completely different planet.

Edmundson and Harness took their opportunities extremely well.

What times 💙💙💙💙

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:12 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:16 am
Andym wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:49 am
Just woken up and still can’t believe it.
I used to suffer from this about 20 years ago, Andy. But, quit smoking, cut waaaaaaay down on the pies & beer and hit the gym at least 3 times a week. All good 👍👌
Participate at a fitness center maybe 5, 6 times a week, regular and advanced swimmer and non-drinker but still nowhere near as fit as should be. Chalk it up to anxiety and excess in cigarettes. Without the latter it'd be the epitome of health and fitness.

Just for the record out of 168 points available since the start of last season's promotion campaign and up to now in the Second League, the team has taken 123. Out of 56 games played in the time stated the team has won 36 and only been defeated 5 occasions. We've scored 122 from 56 games.

The above alone is clear unambiguous notice the team has risen and improved radically in such a short time. Some (or more) Rival fans say we're maybe hitting above our weight or haven't been truly tested yet but they don't see what goes on here, they don't get or have involvement from week to week, game to game to fully understand all necessary information.

Stats aside we got a challenge in Preston next round of games but feel right now we can take on and beat just about anyone - in reasonable capacity - and if the team plays like it can and with the right attitude and belief we'll gain further points and victory. Beating and getting past any and all promotion rivals will be imperative to the club name if the dream or reality of promotion to the very highest league is to become obtainable.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:53 pm

Just watched the highlights, and from what I saw there were a lot of MOM performances. I've been critical of Harness in the past, but at least from the highlights reel he looked very good...could have scored two! Other than the absence of Broadhead, I really like this team line up...Unfortunately, Harness will be the sacrificial lamb when NB returns.

Couldn't really tell how Edmundson did in the highlights, but many of you have commented he was solid along with Woolfy. Another clean sheet for the lads...hopefully it continues as we can obviously score.

I think we'll beat Preston.

COYB!!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:01 pm

NB was on the bench last night Number 9. I think KM gave Harness his place based on recent performances. It's his to keep but as we saw from Edmundsons's selection, tactical changes can (and surely should) be made when required.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:18 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:40 am

I was watching the game and was actually find8ng myself counting down the minutes to when Hutch would come on. Granted Burns scored a great goal and had been putting 8n some ver6 good crosses in that firs5 half, I just kept thinking Hutchinson would be almost impossible for Hull to deal with, because he really attacks the defence, and so often ghosts into the box, whereas Burns is either able to beat his man or fails to take them on or get to that by line.

I love a winger who takes on a defender and get right to that base line and cut the ball back. You can’t be offside if the winger achieves that and often defenders are running back towards their own goal and an og can sometimes be the result. Hutchinson has now had two penalty decisions not awarded to h8m 8n two consecutive games. Burns doesn’t create that same danger for opponents.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:48 pm

I thought Burns had a very good game. Not sure he’d have been my man of the match - there were too many to choose from - but he put in a very good performance.
He didn’t need to defend too much. That’s his weakness in my opinion. He doesn’t defend well, and if he has to he finds himself too deep to be effective going forward. But I wouldn’t fault him for yesterday’s performance at all.