Goalkeepers perceive the world differently, study suggests

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Goalkeepers perceive the world differently, study suggests

Post by number 9 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:44 pm

Now scientific data supports the idea that goalies’ brains really do perceive the world differently – their brains appear able to merge signals from the different senses more quickly, possibly underpinning their unique abilities on the football pitch.
Full Article: https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... rning_brew

Ricco

Re: Goalkeepers perceive the world differently, study suggests

Post by Ricco » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:16 pm

It is interesting, there are many things I can do as a goalkeeper that outfield players in clubs I've played at simply cannot do, that is 100% for sure, I'm also sure there are many things the other way around too.

One big difference I've always thought, is that as a goalkeeper, you sometimes need to anticipate and start moving or shifting weight before you see where a ball is going, no other position needs to do that (well nowhere near as often or with such importance). I notice rarely do people spot deflections as much as goalkeepers do for that reason, goalkeepers can more successfully look at the shape of a shot and tell whether it's had a slight deflection, you can tell a ball is not moving naturally based on the vector of the attackers kick and the contact they've made with the ball. A tiny deflection can affect spin on the ball enough to make a half meter difference by the time it has gone 15-20 yards and that's crucial.

A lot of it becomes second nature when you've had plenty of game time, I think it's one reason that keepers need longer to get up to speed and are not chopped and changed as often as outfield positions. With an attack bearing down, a decent keeper will be keeping track on so many things, 4-6 defenders, 4-6 attackers and their runs, where do I need to get to quickly if the ball is passed, can I parry a shot and where are the safe areas to do so, positioning is unforgiving, one foot in the wrong direction and you've made a chance far simpler and more inviting.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:25 pm

If you think about it GK’s are largely spectators in the game. By that I mean , their “ view” of the game is 180degrees from the goal outwards to the corner flags forwards , in front of them. Unless they’re well forward in their 18 yard area they’re generally not looking at anything behind them , so “ watch” the game in front of them. They will be on “ alert” as the game advances towards them and will usually be in a slightly crouched ( pounce position) and will be using peripheral vision and scanning the game in front of them, and “reading” the ever changing situation in front of them.

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Morsy will often do a complete 360dg turn when on the ball - he’s taking in what around him in all areas of the pitch . Fascinating stuff innit !

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:46 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:25 pm
I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Morsy will often do a complete 360dg turn when on the ball - he’s taking in what around him in all areas of the pitch . Fascinating stuff innit !
One of the biggest signs of a quality player. It's truly unbelievable how many players, even at the top level, have no idea what is going on behind them, how many times do you see players ghost in at the back post or steal a yard in to the box by running behind their marker. The best have tabs on everyone around them, whether they have the ball, don't have the ball, the ball is out of play, doesn't matter, they are constantly scanning.

Recently I heard someone ask Messi for one bit of advice, Messi said walk more! Bit of a laugh because of how his legs are these days, but it has a serious point behind it. If you're walking and watching, you are seeing things, space the left back keeps leaving, how the centre back gets sucked out of defence, how the centre mid is over eager to dive in for the ball, things that you won't see if you're running around or only have eyes for the ball.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:14 pm

I usually played center midfield when I got older, and I was known for making precision passes 30 yards plus. A quick look up and peripheral vision enabled me to be very accurate. I get very annoyed when forward players don’t look up for the open man and inevitably they scuff their shot into a block or wide missed shot. I used to call out the player’s name before passing to them to make sure they knew it was coming to them. Another thing that bugged me was how forwards rarely passed the ball back. There were so many times I was open at the edge of the box and never received the ball. That’s one thing I love about Chaplin, he gets free at the top of the penalty box and usually scores if he gets the ball.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:21 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:14 pm
I was known for making precision passes 30 yards plus.
I've heard the reports, cracking passing, but apparently those passes were only when you were in the opponents box?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:39 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:46 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:25 pm
One of the biggest signs of a quality player. It's truly unbelievable how many players, even at the top level, have no idea what is going on behind them, how many times do you see players ghost in at the back post or steal a yard in to the box by running behind their marker. The best have tabs on everyone around them, whether they have the ball, don't have the ball, the ball is out of play, doesn't matter, they are constantly scanning.

Recently I heard someone ask Messi for one bit of advice, Messi said walk more! Bit of a laugh because of how his legs are these days, but it has a serious point behind it. If you're walking and watching, you are seeing things, space the left back keeps leaving, how the centre back gets sucked out of defence, how the centre mid is over eager to dive in for the ball, things that you won't see if you're running around or only have eyes for the ball.
Exactly. How many times do we hear the phrase …,” he was ball watching”. The ability to read the game is fundamental to being a top player - in any team game.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:55 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:21 pm
number 9 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:14 pm
I was known for making precision passes 30 yards plus.
I've heard the reports, cracking passing, but apparently those passes were only when you were in the opponents box?
Haha I didn’t score a lot of goals, but when I did score they were usually spectacular goals. I’ve set up more goals for other players. The amount of times I hit the crossbar or post is probably indicative of my life haha…but I keep going on.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:00 pm

Back on topic, Goalkeepers are like drummers. I’ll bet there is a significant amount of keepers who are also drummers.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:56 am

number 9 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:00 pm
Back on topic, Goalkeepers are like drummers.
How so? They're sweaty and dishevelled and make a hell of a racket, but at the same time many barely notice they're there?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:04 am

Ricco wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:56 am
number 9 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:00 pm
Back on topic, Goalkeepers are like drummers.
How so? They're sweaty and dishevelled and make a hell of a racket, but at the same time many barely notice they're there?
Ricco, Ricco, Ricco, 🤦‍♂️ tut tut tut.
This is why you have no friends, buddy. Stop it!

Edit: Add a smiley ffs! :D

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:26 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:04 am
Ricco, Ricco, Ricco, 🤦‍♂️ tut tut tut.
This is why you have no friends, buddy. Stop it!

Edit: Add a smiley ffs! :D
:lol: genuine question. It's alright, I've found an article now!

https://amun-bains.medium.com/drummers- ... 8877adbae4

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:38 pm

Genius. To find an article starting with, “if a number 9 …..” :lol:

What a find 👍👌👏👏👏👏👏

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:08 am

I was a very good number 9 in my early years…scored loads of goals, but I grew into the game as a number 10. I won’t ask Frosty if I can change my screen name cuz the last time I asked he said no! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:38 am

number 9 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:08 am
I was a very good number 9 in my early years…scored loads of goals, but I grew into the game as a number 10. I won’t ask Frosty if I can change my screen name cuz the last time I asked he said no! :lol:
Are you full of number 2? 🤔 :D

For a large chunk of my playing years, managers talk was, “…….., and down the right, give it to Marko, he’ll get to the byeline, whip it over, and Quinno, you’ll score. Thats it…… lets go!”

And just to say, no skill whatsoever was involved…… Back in the day; —->> was fast as! Won all the 100 & 200 metre stuff during the High School years……. Was a case of, “give the ball to him, he’ll run like F down the wing……”

But back on topic……. Goalkeepers…… the goalkeeper in that team was Fat Geoff. I do wonder if he’s still alive.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:41 am

He took up the Shot Put Marko