Championship - Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread (Postponed)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will the International break affect our momentum?

Rotherham Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
93%
Draw
7%

Total votes: 14

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread (Postponed)

Post by Frosty » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:59 pm

ImageRotherham United v Ipswich TownImage

Friday 20th October 2023 – 20:00

New York Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

God I hate these International breaks, it seems even worse when the team are flying and in full flow, you just want every game to come around as quickly as is possible. I was led to believe the break was coming at a good time and we would benefit from it, hopefully that proves to be the case but I can't say I am overly impressed with potentially losing a key player whilst lining up against Gibralter of all teams, we certainly aren't benefiting from that scenario, there has been little news on the severity of Wes Burns Shoulder injury but hopefully it is something and nothing and the last few days have given him time to heal.

Prior to the International break we had seen another Championship club with big ambitions this season breeze into Town confident of upsetting the apple cart only to be sent packing with their tails between their legs. This time Third placed Preston North End had little answer to the Ipswich Town juggernaut which just keeps on performing and getting the job done. Some of the Football yet again was out of the top drawer and had us fans drooling once more, the Chaplin Finish from a set piece, the incredible solo effort from Brandon Williams and the crucial Fourth which saw a fabulous move which included all the subs ending with kayden Jackson finishing it off nicely, yes indeed Football that most teams in this division will struggle to match.

The upshot of the result means that we now have a very healthy Eight point gap to Third place and while we are all only too aware of how quickly that can change we must also realise that is Three whole games with no reward for anyone to just catch us, can anyone honestly say that can see this Town team losing Three games ? We must be cautious yes but that is one impressive position we already find ourselves in and the onus is very much on us to pile the pressure on the chasing pack, it is not as if we are two or Three games in to the season, we have virtually played half the league now and still look very much at home at this level, yes we will have blips but we can probably afford One or Two now. I saw these stats someone posted elsewhere and it makes very eye opening reading:-

With 28 points from 11 games, they need just 47 more from 35 games to qualify for the playoffs. That's 1.34 per game, or 12 wins, 11 draws and 12 defeats. So mid table form from here on in will get them to at least 6th. Their form would have to fall off a cliff for them not to make the playoffs.

While caution is very much the order of the day, certainly where KM and the players are concerned you just cannot help but look at those stats and think "crikey we really can do this" and why not the way we are playing ? I notice Danny Wilson & Don Goodman are the latest pundits to jump on the pro Town bandwagon with their compliments, we just won't be going under the radar anytime soon, that much is certain.

Town's next task is a trip to struggling Rotherham Utd this Friday evening under the watchful Eye of not only the Sky cameras but also the Footballing world, some will no doubt tune in to see just what the fuss is all about, hopefully we will be up for it and show them why we are, along with Leicester , the talk of the Championship right now. While the Millers have found the going tough it must not be ignored that they have beaten a certain Norwich City at home and their last outing saw them come away from St Mary's with a very impressive point so there is no doubt that on their day they can come up with a shock or Two.

Our hosts are however One from the bottom of the table with a solitary win (against Norwich) to their name, it was not lost on me that they have conceded twenty two goals already which is the worst in the division, quite how they intend to nulify our potent attacking options is anyone's guess and most will feel they won't but cast your minds back to life in league One and it was this type of game that was often our undoing, you would like to think we are much better now than back then but the fact remains this could be a case of patience being key, an early goal however and I can see the floodgates opening up as they will have to come out and play.

As much as we all have to realise that a defeat will come sooner rather than later I personally cannot see it being here, I just think we will have too much going forward for their fragile defence to deal with and that is why I see Town bagging another Three points on the road, I would however be equally as pleased if the defence can tighten up and keep a clean sheet as we have leaked a few goals, especially at home, thankfully it hasn't hurt us yet but can we realistically expect to score Three or Four every game ? Of course we can !!!!!!! Town win, COYB'S

The Opposition – Rotherham United - Honours

League

Football League Third Division / League One

Champions: 1950–51, 1980–81
2nd place promotion: 2000–01, 2019–20, 2021–22
Play-off winners: 2013–14, 2017–18

Football League Fourth Division / League Two
Champions : 1988–89
2nd place promotion: 1991–92, 1999–2000, 2012–13
3rd place promotion: 1974–75

Cup

Football League Cup
Runners-up: 1960–61

Football League Trophy
Winners: 1995–96, 2021–22

Football League Third Division North Cup
Winners 1945–46

The Manager – Matt Taylor

League Table as at 18th October 2023

Form Guide

Rotherham United

20 Sep Millwall 3 - 0 Rotherham

23 Sep Rotherham 1 - 1 Preston -

30 Sep Cardiff City 2 - 0 Rotherham

4 Oct Rotherham 1 - 2 Bristol City

7 Oct Southampton 1 - 1 Rotherham

Ipswich Town

19 Sep Southampton 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

23 Sep Ipswich Town 4 - 3 Blackburn

30 Sep Huddersfield 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

3 Oct Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Hull City

7 Oct Ipswich Town 4 - 2 Preston

Head to Head

Match Referee –

ROTHERHAM UNITED 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

Andym

Re: Championship - Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:26 am

Assuming Rotherham are still a long high ball than of giants, I fear the weather will give them the advantage.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:29 am

Exactly, which is why I'm ok with it being called off

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:00 am

The forecast is slightly less windy there than here. But it’s going to be very wet.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:39 pm

Yes, good preview and not to jinx anything at all, but (as you mention NCFC) ITFC seem to be doing everything better than Norwich at the moment and as you've pointed out; Rotherhams only win is vs the Canaries ----->> Expecting Ipswich to brush them aside with ease. And with that 8point cushion and equal games played, ...., a draw is far from a disaster.
But......, it is 100% winnable.
3-0 away win.

Caption:
Matt Taylor: "I've got a blow-up fly-away ball here ref from the Millers shop."
Ref: "It's ok, Matthew. Got the ball here."

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:18 pm

Weather report for South Yorkshire over Friday going into weekend states heavy rain and strong winds, not really enough to cancel the fixture or seek out a postponement. Only real way it'd be called off is if proves something far more substantial or there's a chance of risk to life. There's not going to be no biblical proportion or examples of old testament when the time arises. It should ideally go ahead as planned.

They seem easy to get at and caught out often but we got a tendency to struggle against those in lower reaches of the division. Didn't vote as don't have no idea as what to feasibly expect. If it were played out in calm dry condition with no breeze to elevate a feather I'd pick us to win but the (impending) weather factor kind of complicates things maybe.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:10 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:18 pm
Weather report for South Yorkshire over Friday going into weekend states heavy rain and strong winds, not really enough to cancel the fixture or seek out a postponement. Only real way it'd be called off is if proves something far more substantial or there's a chance of risk to life. There's not going to be no biblical proportion or examples of old testament when the time arises. It should ideally go ahead as planned.

If it were played out in calm dry condition with no breeze to elevate a feather I'd pick us to win but the (impending) weather factor kind of complicates things maybe.
These people who seem to concern themselves over some weather! :wink: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:34 pm

Like at Oxford lol

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:38 pm

I’ve gone for a win in the voting at top of thread but it really wouldn’t surprise me if we draw it. The weather will definitely aid them more than us. We will also be without 2players through injury and s lot of our players were playing this week, whereas theirs haven’t been, so will be more rested. Minimal prep time (suspect team leave tomorrow morning if they’ve not already done so)

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:25 pm

I've gone for a a win but I think the weather will be a big factor. As I have to go out Friday night (the OH has a golf thing on and I stupidly agreed to go before realising the fixture had been moved!) I'm hoping that the weather will be bad enough for a postponement! :lol:

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:21 am

From what I'm reading it looks like the game will be called off, and although I would be disappointed it would probably be the best outcome. 🤔

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:29 am

Game apparently going ahead… ridiculous if you ask me…especially if you read the last line in this short report!

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... o-go-ahead

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:37 am

I still say it will be off, another 8 hours of rain to come, not a chance it will survive thank god.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:10 am

Just checked the latest rainfall situation and in the past 6 hrs there’s been 21mm of rain with the total for the day expected to reach 69mm.

I don’t understand why they don’t make an early decision to postpone to avoid unnecessary travel for all concerned, unless of course the decision has been made and it’s game on.

Hopefully we’ll be good enough and fit enough to win regardless.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:51 pm

McKenna interview :

By Stuart Watson
Stuart_Watson
Chief Football Writer

Ipswich Town manager Kieran McKenna is expecting a 'physical, aggressive game' at Rotherham United tonight.

It's second-bottom v second-top in the Championship as the Blues head to South Yorkshire for a Friday night fixture in front of the Sky television cameras (8pm ko).

With 22 points separating the teams in the table after 11 games, Ipswich are the strong favourites.

But with Storm Babet set to make for wet and windy conditions at the New York Stadium, McKenna says these are points his team are going to have to fight for.

“It’s a tough place to go," said the Blues boss. "They’ve generally been very strong at home. They built their success in League One on that, they got some big wins at home in the second half of last season (against Sunderland, West Brom and Middlesbrough) and have had a couple of good results at home this season as well (beating Norwich, plus drawing against Blackburn and Preston).

“Of course quite a few of our players have got experience of playing at Rotherham (Dominic Ball, Freddie Ladapo and George Hirst). In general you know you’re going to get a physical, aggressive game that you’re going to have to stand up to.

"They’re a team who can give you a lot of problems if you don’t defend your box well. We’re going to have to stand up to that challenge, but it’s something we’re pretty well versed in. It’s up to us to make it the type of game we want for as long as we can and stand up to Rotherham’s threats and the things they do very well."

Town have lost their last four games at Rotherham by a 1-0 scoreline, with the Millers having proved tricky opposition over recent years. That was then and this is now. A much-changed Ipswich team beat Matt Taylor's men 4-1 at Portman Road in the FA Cup third round back in January.

"That's not a game we’ve looked back on too much if I’m honest because it was a different competition," said McKenna.

“To be fair they had a really strong second half of the season after that. When we played them they’d had a few injuries and lost a few in a row, but both clubs went on to have strong second halves of the season – Rotherham stayed up pretty comfortably and we got promoted.

“Of course we’ve had a better start to this season, but, as I’ve said before, every game in this division can go either way.

“The last game they had before the (international) break was away to Southampton. I think everybody would have had that nailed on for a Southampton home win and they went there and got a fantastic point (1-1). We know we can’t take anything for granted and will have to perform really, really well to have a chance."

Former Norwich striker Jordan Hugill scored Rotherham's equaliser at St Mary's to take his goal tally for the season to three.

“Of course he’s scored a couple of great goals lately which will have grabbed the headlines, but they’ve got other threats," said McKenna.

"(Sam) Nombe is their club record signing (£1m from Exeter), they’ve brought in two really quick wingers (Fred Onyedinma and Andre Green) and changed their shape a little bit from when we played them in January. They’ve got more pace one-v-one in the wide areas than this time last year and are a really big threat on set plays.

"They’ve got a year’s extra experience in the division than us and we’ll have to go there and play well for sure."

Town have a recent reference point for how tricky this sort of games can be with their hard-fought 1-1 draw at Huddersfield.

“Stylistically there are probably some comparisons there," admitted McKenna, when the above was put to him.

“There are things we didn’t do very well against Huddersfield that we need to do better in this game. It’s not always in your control, you can’t dictate how the game is going to be for the whole 90 minutes, but we need to do some things better to dictate more of the game.

“On the other hand we need to replicate some of the things we did do well at Huddersfield to get a hard fought point.

“It’s a league of varied challenges. Rotherham away and Huddersfield away are two types of games where you have to stand up really well in stand a chance of getting points."

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:54 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:10 am
Just checked the latest rainfall situation and in the past 6 hrs there’s been 21mm of rain with the total for the day expected to reach 69mm.

I don’t understand why they don’t make an early decision to postpone to avoid unnecessary travel for all concerned, unless of course the decision has been made and it’s game on.

Hopefully we’ll be good enough and fit enough to win regardless.
Rotherham want this game to go ahead at all costs Andy…. It massively tips the game in their favour against a very in form footballing side like ours.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:00 pm

I've read the river that runs by the stadium has burst its banks further up stream, it seems ridiculous to me.

As for the game, they have Two experienced CB'S out so it could be in our interest to play it after all.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:00 pm
I've read the river that runs by the stadium has burst its banks further up stream, it seems ridiculous to me.

As for the game, they have Two experienced CB'S out so it could be in our interest to play it after all.
I was going to say that but decided not as I thought I might jinks it.🤫🤣

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:00 pm

River Don?

Thing is the weather forecast shows the heaviest rain in that area is due to fall from later afternoon into late evening : how the hell this game goes ahead I have no idea . Pray for a sensible ref decision but I fear we’re going to get stuffed by the ref and weather again like we were at Oxford.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/466116050750959/

I used to live just off the Eccelsall Rd and after any half decent shower of rain that river used to be a raging torrent within an hour of the rainfall. God knows what it’s like now and the worst rain is still to fall. Wouldn’t be surprised if River Don breaks its banks later today…. Not good

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:09 pm

Statement from their website for what it's worth. In other words they got no intention to cancel or the game don't seem to be in any immediate jeopardy.

Inspection planned at present as Millers monitor pitch ahead of Ipswich fixture

Rotherham United would like to reassure supporters travelling to tonight’s game that the club currently has no concerns about the playing surface at AESSEAL New York Stadium, despite the inclement weather around the UK at present.

The club’s ground staff have – and will continue to – monitor the condition of the pitch in the build-up to tonight’s 8pm kick off against Ipswich Town but, at present, have no concerns about a potential postponement.

As a result, there are currently NO pitch inspections planned ahead of tonight’s game but should this change throughout the course of the day, we will communicate that message at the earliest possible opportunity.

We do recognise that the weather may have affected travel plans for supporters attending the match and would remind those same fans to exercise caution on their route to the stadium and allow plenty of time to account for any delays that the weather may have had on their journey. As always, we would advise fans travelling to check the latest traffic updates and information from public transport providers ahead of their trip.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:38 pm

I think the key word there is "currently"

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:33 pm

Those Fans travelling to Rotherham have had the Coaches from Portman Road cancelled

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:13 pm

When did this happen Lucy ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:29 pm

Galloway were unable to get the coaches out of their yard due to severe flooding.... .apparently, that's 300+ fans that won't make it.

The river Don has indeed burst its banks

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:36 pm

Sounds like a logistical nightmare for everyone.

Call it off……. And lets just say Ipswich win 2-1, Chaplin scored first in the 20th minute, one of Six shots on target and 9800 punters all went home.
25 points, nice one! 👍👌

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:57 pm

And now they call a pitch inspection after all the Town fans have left, you couldn't make it up, the world is full of f**king idiots

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:00 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:36 pm
Sounds like a logistical nightmare for everyone.

Call it off……. And lets just say Ipswich win 2-1, Chaplin scored first in the 20th minute, one of Six shots on target and 9800 punters all went home.
25 points, nice one! 👍👌
Call it the 21st or 22nd minute and we have ourselves a deal Marko! :wink: :lol: I'll settle for 15 points from those questions! :lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:01 pm

RUFC are a f**king disgrace. Total disregard gif fans Health & safety getting to snd from their shithole of a stadium .

Three people have died today in this storm .. and yet they want the game to go ahead amid the utter fuckfest going on all around their bloody ground!

https://www.thestar.co.uk/

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:02 pm

Town’s Sky Bet Championship fixture away to Rotherham United, scheduled for 8pm this evening, has been postponed for safety reasons.

The pitch at AESSEAL New York Stadium is playable, but areas outside the stadium are hazardous and more heavy rainfall is forecast this evening.

The decision was made following an urgent meeting with the Safety Advisory Group which took place at 4.30pm today.

Further details, regarding refunds and a new date for the fixture, will be released in due course.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:03 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:57 pm
And now they call a pitch inspection after all the Town fans have left, you couldn't make it up, the world is full of f**king idiots
Town coaches couldn’t even get out of Mendlesham … trains cancelled, roads closed , yet Rotherham fc want the game to played because they’re “confident their pitch is playable”!