Championship - Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread (Postponed)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will the International break affect our momentum?

Rotherham Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
93%
Draw
7%

Total votes: 14

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:04 pm

It's off mate, see above.

To be honest only a f**king twit couldn't see it wasn't going to be played.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:04 pm

Game is off!

Edit: Sorry, bit slow there!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:10 pm

…. and why the f*ck wait till 5pm when it’s looked the obvious decision all day !

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:14 pm

Perhaps Rotherham should pick up the tab for all those Town fans who will already have arrived in, or be nearing Rotherham? Fans who based their decision on RUFC's adamant stance suggesting the game was at little risk of being called off!
No consideration whatsoever!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:14 pm

Most Town fans now rolling into Rotherham, its an absolute disgrace

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:16 pm

And, I bet this is an much down to sky as it is Rotherham, they have no regard whatsoever for real fans.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:16 pm

It’s all about money AM…. RUFC are a bloody disgrace. We’ve all had DAYS of severe weather warnings, yet these arrogant tosses don’t call it off. Town fans now have a long and potentially dangerous journey home / assuming they can even get home.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:19 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:16 pm
And, I bet this is an much down to sky as it is Rotherham, they have no regard whatsoever for real fans.
Yes, I was going to suggest that Sky have probably been lurking trying up to the last minute to keep this game on! :evil:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:

Why would Sky want the decision made late, surely they could have avoided huge costs had they postponed the game this morning especially on an evening when most sports fans will be watching the first of the two Rugby World Cup Semi Finals tonight between Argentina & New Zealand.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:24 pm

Sadly - all comments are true and only glad I decided it wasn't worth it when I saw the forecast. This is what I fear if we ever make the Premier League too. They are even suggesting having Xmas eve and NY eve games too. No respect for families, tradition or anything except money... scum...

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:24 pm

hallamblue wrote:
It’s all about money AM…. RUFC are a bloody disgrace. We’ve all had DAYS of severe weather warnings, yet these arrogant tosses don’t call it off. Town fans now have a long and potentially dangerous journey home / assuming they can even get home.
Totally agree Liz. Should have been a precautionary pitch inspection announced at say 10am, while using the forecast amount of rainfall to make a sensible (correct) decision! The weather forecasters have been telling us over the last 48 hours or so about the level of rainfall expected! This is not good enough!

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:27 pm

Off because of supporter safety what about the supporters traveling, was it safe for them travel in that weather those that did should get recompense.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:34 pm

A statement from Rotherham United said: "Rotherham United’s Sky Bet Championship fixture against Ipswich Town has been postponed on the grounds of supporter safety following discussions with representatives from the Safety Advisory Group and the EFL which took place shortly after 4:30pm on Friday.

"After the River Don – which courses around the perimeter of AESSEAL New York Stadium - burst its banks, urgent discussions between representatives from the Safety Advisory Group/Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council, South Yorkshire Police and club safety personnel and the EFL – were held with the conclusion deeming the weather conditions and their subsequent effect on the surrounding area a danger to supporters.

"This coupled with continued rainfall resulting in the flood waters rising and Don Street being closed to the public left the authorities with no choice but to postpone the game.

"Throughout the day the pitch at AESSEAL New York Stadium has remained playable but with the safety of everyone attending the match at the height of our priorities, the difficult decision to postpone the fixture has been taken.
Source EADT

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:45 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:04 pm
It's off mate, see above.

To be honest only a f**king twit couldn't see it wasn't going to be played.
You said it Tuesday morning @ 10:18am , buddy. in the storm thread. :lol:
Make you in charge of this 👍👌

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:50 pm

It was obvious Marko.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:51 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:21 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Why would Sky want the decision made late, surely they could have avoided huge costs had they postponed the game this morning especially on an evening when most sports fans will be watching the first of the two Rugby World Cup Semi Finals tonight between Argentina & New Zealand.
So as not to upset their bloody schedule, guaranteed they had a lot of influence in events today.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:23 pm

Unbelievable!!! Anglia News just now (6.20pm) were talking about Ipswich having the chance to go top with a win tonight! Not even a mention that the game has been called off some 90 minutes after it was actually called off!!!

Edit 6.25pm and finally they've announced the game is off!

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:34 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:29 pm
Galloway were unable to get the coaches out of their yard due to severe flooding.... .apparently, that's 300+ fans that won't make it.

The river Don has indeed burst its banks
Apparently 1 Coach was able to get out but I don't know how far they got

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:36 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:23 pm
Unbelievable!!! Anglia News just now (6.20pm) were talking about Ipswich having the chance to go top with a win tonight! Not even a mention that the game has been called off some 90 minutes after it was actually called off!!!

In fairness even ITFC website not announced the game been postponed

Or hadn't when posting this

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:02 pm

It's an absolute sham, I even went on the Rotherham fans forum, most of their fans were saying that Town fans deserve to have it called off early as dangerous to travel etc, several mentioned it was certain the banks would burst. Its all about TV.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:28 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:23 pm

About Narwich have always been s bunch of tossas. Stopped watching it years ago.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:40 pm

Took a look in maybe ten minutes back, expected play to be into the second half and find out the goddamn thing's been canceled. Was sure some hours back the game was intended to go ahead. They made the decision two hours before start time, it's a mess, not sure what else you can add to it.

Kind of asks the question why build a stadium in the first place next to a river that's liable to flood but they're hardly unique for it. Shrewsbury over time had numerous call offs because the Severn or wherever they're at rose to critical levels and flooded the field. Can't always understand certain things but you can only let it rest.

Rotherham apparently made a statement in effect that quote "The pitch remained playable but were left with little choice but to postpone". Feel sympathy for those of ours who purchased game tickets, made the decision to travel etc but you'll have a story to tell if nothing else.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:25 pm

You can ask the same question of all the homes flooded that the developers had planning permission to build homes on obvious flood plaines… several houses in Needham Mkt were flooded today , all are on a flood plain!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:48 am

What a complete debacle! Ipswich fans enroute having to cancel plans. I’m disgusted. Useless authority making useless decisions. It should have been postponed earlier. I hope the traveling fans are safe! What the f*ck is going on with the EFL & politics or should I say tv money.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:58 am

At least with 3 games coming up in 8 days starting on Wednesday at Bristol City the timing for a postponement couldn’t have been better. Had the game gone ahead last night it wouldn’t have suited us at all and I think we should all be grateful. My only gripe as I’m sure is the same for all of us was the bad timing of the decision which from an outsiders perspective was completely ridiculous and avoidable.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:12 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:58 am
At least with 3 games coming up in 8 days starting on Wednesday at Bristol City the timing for a postponement couldn’t have been better. Had the game gone ahead last night it wouldn’t have suited us at all and I think we should all be grateful. My only gripe as I’m sure is the same for all of us was the bad timing of the decision which from an outsiders perspective was completely ridiculous and avoidable.
Yep ultimately it could do us a favour although they have lots of injuries at present and defensively it appears down to the bare bones so I suppose we can look at it both ways. FWIW I am glad we didn't play them in those conditions, it's just the way it's been handled that disgusts me.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:12 pm

The BIG plus to being cancelled that I don't think has been mentioned, There was no pressure put on Shed's Blood pressure or his Heart, that's more important and I think we can all agree on,
Get well soon Shed,

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:21 pm

The only other downside was not being able to pick up 3 points for the win and putting Leicester under pressure as it’s always best to have the points in the bag rather than games in hand.

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:32 pm

Going to go against the majority view here.
Whilst I have sympathy for those who travelled, as many have pointed out, there has been a weather warning in place for awhile. Why would you even attempt to travel??? Common sense, self preservation, call it what you like, but surely you think, nah, it's not worth it.

Took me an hour to get from Thetford to Bury last night coming home from work. I'd had enough after that.

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:32 pm

In some good news, Leicester losing!