R.I.P Sir Bobby Charlton

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

lucy

R.I.P Sir Bobby Charlton

Post by lucy » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:12 pm

Steve

Re: R.I.P Sir Bobby Charlton

Post by Steve » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:55 pm

I believe the words legend and world class are used too often, In Sir Bobby's case though, these words are totally true

R.I.P Sir Bobby, you were magnificent and a total gentleman on and off the pitch

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:14 pm

Can still see his comb-over waving to one side of his head after the first two minutes of every game.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:02 pm

I was right behind the goal at Wembley when he scored against Portugal in the ‘66 semifinal. A genuine legend.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:41 am

Andym wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:02 pm
I was right behind the goal at Wembley when he scored against Portugal in the ‘66 semifinal. A genuine legend.
He was taken off in Mexico four years after when you had a two goal lead over Germany and went on to lose the game. Ramsey was a master tactician and outstanding club coach but that were a real mistake on his part that day. Think that game was Charlton's final international appearance although may be incorrect.

Was sorry to learn of news for the passing. Charlton exemplified courage and leadership in what he did and was a true ambassador for the sport both on and off the field. Legend is an overused term maybe, particularly as the game progresses but here at least I think the man in question deserves such accolade.

Reunited with Jackie now, both brothers gave and provided so much for their respective causes. It's a sad day for the sport that we've lost enough individual of such caliber, leadership and all other superlatives you could lend to such a high profile name of the sport. Best to the family, a man of great integral attribute.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:59 am

Andym wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:02 pm
Great memory Andy! That it’s the stuff that makes legends immortal. Like many, I grew up with that name. He is and was certainly a deserved Sir. RIP.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:00 am

Another of the greats I grew up adoring, so soon afte Franny Lee, RIP Bobby.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:00 am
Another of the greats I grew up adoring, so soon after Franny Lee, RIP Bobby.

Slowly losing all our idles and a true Legend,
RIP Sir Bobby.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:00 pm

We are indeed, and replacing them with average prima Donna tossers.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:19 pm

One of my boyhood hero’s who I was fortunate to watch play for Manchester United and England many times. Certainly one who will never be forgotten by any football fan of my generation. RIP Sir Bobby, a true football legend for sure. 🌹

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:00 pm
We are indeed, and replacing them with average prima Donna tossers.

Agree, They should all be ashamed of themselves today and be made to watch how the real men conducted themselves.

Watching that Bobby Charlton programme last night really did show what a man's game it was back then, players like Duncan Edwards, the Charlton's, Dennis Law, etc etc training in the local park.
Also when Bobby's youngest brother said he had a ticket for the World Cup final but couldn't go because he couldn't afford to get to London, it really did hit home it really was OUR game back then,
If that Munich disaster hadn't happened, Football history could have been so different, Wolves might not have owned the 50s, Duncan Edwards would have become the greatest Club & Country captain of all time,
We will never know,