EFLC (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Fulham FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we make the Semis?

Ipswich Win
53%
Fulham Win
33%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 15

Frosty
Forum Owner

EFLC (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Fulham FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:10 pm

Image Ipswich Town v FulhamImage

EFLC – Round 4

Wednesday 1st November 2023 – 19:45

Portman Road

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

I think it is fair to say that since the International break Town have been performing a little below their usual exceptional standards, I would put it at around 60/65% and yet here we are celebrating yet another win which extends this phenomenal run of form we currently find ourselves in. Saturday's win against Plymouth Argyle was very similar to last weeks win at Bristol City in that for spells we looked very good and in other parts we looked a little off it and second best but as I said last week it is the mark of a good team who can grind these results out when maybe a draw or even a defeat was a possibility.

Saturday saw Town go so close to opening the scoring inside Two Minutes which would in all probability have made the afternoon a completely different scenario, unfortunately George Hirst's effort glanced off the keeper to kill the speed of the ball allowing Cooper to scramble back and grab the ball on the line, how things even themselves out, Bristol City had the one roll along the line and Saturday it was our turn to come so close. Having been caught out by a Morgan Whittaker screamer Town found it very hard to break down a stubborn Argyle side who were very dangerous and quick on the break and it looked for all the world that we would go in behind, thanks to Canary old boy Bali Mumba we somehow got out of jail and went in level which really was a massive bonus given how the first half had panned out.

Buoyed by the late equaliser Town looked better after the break and it was no surprise when we grasped control of the game with our second, it epitomised everything about George Hirst, at times he fluffs his lines from Two yards but when in on goal on a One on One he can hit the target with some aplomb, it was similar to the strike last season at Barnsley and what a strike it was, praise must also go to Leif Davis for yet another top assist with the ball down the line that curled perfectly into the path of Hirst while cutting out their Centre back who is rarely caught out like that. Both sides had chances to score with Hutchinson coming close for Town while at the other end Vaclav Hladky was having yet another blinder in Town's goal, Three or Four top saves added to the times he rushed off his line to intercept crosses or passes, the guy is on fire and if there was a player of the season award now he would win it by a landslide.

Town's Third should in truth have had the game put to bed and how pleased was I that Marcus harness got it, every time he has come on this season he has been excellent and while the other substitutions failed to make their mark Harness was pivotal in those final minutes. In true Town fashion we still contrived to gift them a second goal to make the last few moments very nervy indeed, thankfully we stood firm and another piece of bravery from Hladky saw us over the line for another massive result in this crazy crazy season. With every week that passes Town break another record and you have to pinch yourself to check it is real and not some sick dream. The upshot of the result is that we keep the Nine point cushion on Leeds Utd and of course we still have the opportunity to stretch that to an incredible Twelve points.

Of course the big talking point of Saturday's game was "the penalty that never was" but come on Plymouth, what a bunch of whinging moaners you are. Having watched it so many times now I am convinced of Three things, first off Edmundson did not make contact with the striker, a point even admitted by the more sensible posters on Plymouth's forum, secondly it was not inside the box so never even a penalty anyway, and thirdly the talk of a red was utter daft as there were Two covering Town defenders coming across so at worst they missed out on a free kick for heaven's sake, hardly game changing. I do think if Plymouth cut out all the gamesmanship nonsense they would have a successful season because they have some good players and ability within their squad but first half time wasting and players going to ground at the slightest thing let's them down and that is why I for One am not keen on them as a team.

I thought Sam Morsy, Brandon Williams, Vaclav Hladky and Omari Hutchinson all had very god games for Town, Omari was the obvious danger to them throughout and if the lad can only improve his final ball and maybe at times pass it sooner he would be premier league quality, his speed and ball control are superb and he looked dangerous every time he surged forward, Williams too is blossoming into a hell of a signing and something of a fans favourite with his tough nut approach and no nonsense performances.

This Wednesday see's us back in Carabao Cup action as Premier league Fulham FC come to Portman Road and with a Quarter Final place up for grabs it promises to be an electric atmosphere once more. Having disposed of Premier Wolves in the previous round Town will fancy their chances of pulling off another mini shock here too, clearly Kieran McKenna will have One on Birmingham City this coming Saturday but it most definitely will not be lost on him that we have a very real chance of a cup Quarter final spot and that is not to be sniffed at.

Clearly there will be changes but I don't envisage the whole team being switched, I can see the likes of Tuanzebe, Walton, Ladapo, Harness, Taylor & Clarke playing but I also think we will see some of the regulars in the rest of the team slots and that would represent a very strong team with a good chance of winning the game. With a large crowd expected we need to be loud and right behind the boys, I believe Fulham have sold a large amount too so it promises to be another exciting night under the Portman Road lights.

I have no idea what to predict in this one, it is easy to say we can beat anyone but Fulham are no mugs as Brighton found out on Sunday, what I do know is at our best we can win this, let's take it to them and see where it takes us, I think Fulham's style of play will suit us too as they are a team that plays it on the deck and they will feel the need to come at us which may in turn leave us the space in behind to punish them, that is what we do best and we have the players to do it. However it unfolds you just know this team will send us home with pride in our hearts, let's face it they do that every game now. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Fulham FC Honours

League

Second Division / Championship
Champions: 1948–49, 2000–01, 2021–22
Second-place promotion: 1958–59
Play-off winners: 2018, 2020

Third Division South / Third Division / Second Division
Champions: 1931–32, 1998–99
Second-place promotion: 1970–71
Third-place promotion: 1981–82

Third Division
Second-place promotion: 1996–97

Cup

FA Cup
Runners-up: 1974–75

UEFA Europa League
Runners-up: 2009–10

UEFA Intertoto Cup
Winners: 2002

The Manager – Marco Silva

Head to Head

Match Referee – Harry Lennard

IPSWICH TOWN 2 FULHAM 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: EFLC (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Fulham FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:17 pm

Good preview and yep there will be changes but I do hope Hanky is not one of them. Need to be solid in goal for this and he's on a high at the moment. ....., huge NO (imo) for Walton in this.

Agree with the previews prediction....., 2-1 ITFC & QF's.

Caption:

Marco Silva: "Tell us , Harry. What are you going to be tonight?"
Ref: "Tonight Marco, I'm going to be......., the w**ker in the black."

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:59 pm

CLEARLY no one gives a shyte about this game. :lol:

Come on, you lot…….. its the Saint Jude coined, “Haribo Cup” ……. GET UP FOR IT!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:02 pm

Why do we bother lol

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:39 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:17 pm
Good preview and yep there will be changes but I do hope Hanky is not one of them. Need to be solid in goal for this and he's on a high at the moment. ....., huge NO (imo) for Walton in this.

Agree with the previews prediction....., 2-1 ITFC & QF's.

Caption:

Marco Silva: "Tell us , Harry. What are you going to be tonight?"
Ref: "Tonight Marco, I'm going to be......., the w**ker in the black."
Sorry Marco but I think Walton needs game time. Hladky could get injured or lose form at any time. We need Walton to be properly ready IMO. These games are perfect opportunities for the No.2 keepers to get games.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:06 pm

1st or 2nd round id agree. Not playing for a quarter final. 🤔

But will happily concede to your thinking on that if Kieron picks Christian Walton. Hugely surprised if he does.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:43 pm

For the round we're at we got to put out a strong team. We've played and overcome some accomplished club names to get this far and be damned if McKenna fields a team of trainees or reserves and don't give the progress the respect it deserves. If we win we enter the last eight or something, hell it's a good enough opportunity to move closer to an eventual prize.

Why not play the same team as Plymouth. Thing is we're like eight points clear in the league second position and in truth I'd consider sacrifice one league game if it meant victory and progress over these opponents.

The whole cup format is a joke now. Not even sure what happens if level at 90 minutes. Is there extra time in the traditional sense or just straight to penalty shots. They don't do replays in these things anymore that much you can at least ascertain.

Really hope to win, people say league's all important but the more competition you're involved in the better it is for team morale. Simple math here, we field as strong a line-up as able, the players and manager take it serious and then hopefully further progress for the team. It'd be a shame to let it slip now, we appear to have put a certain (thus far) amount of effort and belief into the tournament.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:45 pm

Defender Axel Tuanzebe is set to make his Ipswich Town debut against Fulham tomorrow, while keeper Christian Walton will likely make his return from injury.

Town host the Cottagers at Portman Road with a place in the Carabao Cup quarter-finals up for grabs (7.45pm)

And, in this afternoon's pre-match press conference, assistant boss Martyn Pert revealed that ex-Manchester United defender Tuanzebe, who signed for the Blues in September, will play some part in the clash
Source EADT

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:21 pm

If its level at 90 mins Saint it goes straight to penalties

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:27 pm

Very hard to predict as it is uncertain his strong a team either side will field. Hopefully I’ll be landing in St.Lucia by kick off so I won’t be able to be at Portman Road. I’ll never know why my wife books holidays in the football season.

(In her defence she was diagnosed with breast cancer last December so has been unable to go away until all treatment finished. She has the all clear now and is booking non stop holidays. Spain for Christmas, Australia in February… have to do it while we can. We are both cancer survivors so we are very grateful to the NHS - so I don’t blame her really)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:46 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:27 pm
I’ll never know why my wife books holidays in the football season.
…… or Hurricane season? :shock:

Well done on the cancer “all clear” 👍👍👍

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:41 am

Looking forward to this, sensible 08:45h kick-off time here too. Hopefully both teams will have a go and we'll get another end to end cup battle.

3-2 Town, again.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:00 am

I am looking forward to it. Will be a good test and I am keen to see what Tuanzebe can do. Whatever happens it will
Be a fun night I am sure so enjoy everyone! COYB's!!

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:32 am

Walton

Tunazabee?
Baggott
Edmundson
Clarke

Ball
Humpreys

Jackson
Taylor
Harness

Ladapo

If we really want to rotate that’s what I’d go for, it’ll be interesting as who plays LB? Clarke maybe as Williams is the backup LB but has been the starting RB. Maybe Baggot plays and Tunazabee comes in at right back? We could play ball at RB but then with Evans out who plays over Morsy? Or maybe Morsy is one of the few first XI who starts.

Maybe Taylor plays the 10? As burns is out of also be surprised if Omari starts, so Jackson on the right I think.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:56 am

I can see a real physical game tonight and I hope we are up to it and do not suffer any major injuries, but think Fulham will have enough to turn us over, sorry.

Obviously I hope I am wrong, just give it your best shot lads and hope you all enjoy the game.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:59 am

Dazzz67 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:56 am
I can see a real physical game tonight and I hope we are up to it and do not suffer any major injuries, but think Fulham will have enough to turn us over, sorry.

Obviously I hope I am wrong, just give it your best shot lads and hope you all enjoy the game.
Yeah suspect they will go strong and we will go fully rotated. They likely will have too much quality in front of goal.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:43 am

Sounds like they are struggling for CB's atm, with Man Utd at weekend I'm not sure they will be full strength.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:16 am

It’s our defence I worry about lol… ball in box dealing with etc.

No shame if we lose this one tbh … looking forward to the free hit re game

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:33 pm

I see if we do manage to get through tonight then the next round is due to be played the week between the Norwich and Leeds fixtures in December. Certainly would add even more fixture congestion to the tough run of games we have in December.
Never want the Town to lose but if they do tonight I won’t be that bothered as that will be a tough run of games leading up to and including the Christmas period.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:16 pm

Move the Norwich game, it makes sense lol

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:18 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:33 pm
I see if we do manage to get through tonight then the next round is due to be played the week between the Norwich and Leeds fixtures in December. Certainly would add even more fixture congestion to the tough run of games we have in December.
Never want the Town to lose but if they do tonight I won’t be that bothered as that will be a tough run of games leading up to and including the Christmas period.
Excellent info……. and with you completely.

Get that full XI rotated, Kieron. 👍👌

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:24 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:16 pm

Can’t you ask the captain to do a detour and drop you off at Felixstowe early on the Saturday morning? :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:52 pm

Trust me if it was possible, I've actually got a mate that said he'd get to Southampton for 8am and drive me back, only issue is when I can actually disembark the bloody ship

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:16 pm
Noooooooooooooo!!! I booked flights in May for my pre christmas visit back to Suffolk so you can imagine how happy I was when the fixtures were released! :lol: :lol:

That said, I'd love us to win tonight but with December being a bit busy and who we are playing it won't break my heart (much) if we lose.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:21 pm

I'm not bothered if we lose tonight..as long as we give them a good game and we just loose by a goal or two ...we haven't got the biggest of squads packed with stars..so Less matches less injuries...further more maybe going in on a loss to the Birmingham match could be a good thing...instead of a win where Rooney boys may want to bring us down a peg or two ...loosing to a strong Fulham side is no shame..they are a very good mid table premier team for a very long time....considering they drew with a very good Brighton side....so hoping for a win tonight but give them a good game if we go out ..

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:54 pm

I think the team we've selected will not be strong enough tonight.

Walton
Donacien
Tuanzebe
Burgess
Clarke
Taylor
Ball
Jackson
Harness
Aluko
Ladapo

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:02 pm

Agree but I’m happy with that, give the fringe players a shot and let’s keep the first XI fresh for the league.

I would feel differently if we were mid-table in the championship.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:05 pm

Fulham have just two in the team that played in the last league game but of course they are premiership.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:16 pm

It ain't a bad second 11 is it? Does this mean that McKenna will be preservering with Edmundson in the first team then?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:58 pm

What shocking defending by Town leaving Walton totally exposed
0-1 down after only 9 mins and from what I’ve seen in the opening minutes this won’t be easy to come back from with the team we have.