Dodged a bullet

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Dodged a bullet

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:39 pm

Bloody glad we didn't sign Ellis Simms, done sod all all season and can't even get in a struggling Coventry team atm, dodged a bullet there.

shabba

Re: Donkey

Post by shabba » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:40 am

I do find the title a bit eye rolling frankly, he is still a human being at the end of the day.

Yes I’m glad he didn’t sign for us now too, hasn’t done well but then again I’d back KM to get a tune out of him as I think his work with players is incredible. I was very surprised to see Coventry struggling this season, I guess it’s a huge loss of goals when they sold Goks and the new recruits haven’t paid off.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Donkey

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:04 am

You're a bit sensitive, I doubt he'll spend time reading this forum but I'll change it if it makes you feel better.

I saw it differently to you, I never expected Coventry to do anything this season, was quite surprised how well they did last campaign, carried by the striker I feel.

Cabanas Blue

Re: Dodged a bullet

Post by Cabanas Blue » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:18 am

Coventry spent plenty on the two forwards but it's not paying off at the moment I think they said Haji Wright had scored 6 goals so far but missed some good chances last night and was replaced, Coventry had plenty of possession but West Broms defence were very good.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:06 pm

Yes I wasn't convinced, I was worried that we might be tempted in to splurging a huge amount for him, I'm far happier with Hirst.

From what I have seen, Simms does have some quality to him and some strong attributes, but he didn't look hungry, he didn't look hard working, and so I thought it slightly odd that we were interested, perhaps just through lack of other options at the time. Hirst is the opposite in some ways, he doesn't have the same potential perhaps, the technical ability of his father, but you know what, he works his arse off and for a young pro that is rare and priceless. That one key attribute, and lack of, could see Simms' career deflate in to relative mediocrity, while Hirst can fulfil his full potential and score the winning header in the 2026 Champions League Final.

Did I get carried away there?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:24 pm

When I saw Ellis Simms on the old you tube reel I thought yes let's get him, but Marko is right, those reels mean jack sh*te in truth, all too often the player in question flatters to deceive and this is a classic example, of course it could turn for Simms but right now I am so glad we didn't waste mega Millions on him.

As for Hirst, I too am very pleased we got him instead although there are definitely a few areas that need to be improved with his game too.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:39 pm
Bloody glad we didn't sign Ellis Simms, done sod all all season and can't even get in a struggling Coventry team atm, dodged a bullet there.
I was surprised that McKenna was interested in him to be honest.
He has a lot of potential so maybe that was it.
He hardly got a game at Hearts and only played at Sunderland when Ross Stewart got injured.
Hirst is a far better player

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:48 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:37 pm
Bluemike wrote:
I was surprised that McKenna was interested in him to be honest.
He has a lot of potential so maybe that was it.
He hardly got a game at Hearts and only played at Sunderland when Ross Stewart got injured.
Hirst is a far better player
And when he did, he scored worldlies v Hibs. But --->> Hibs are a shower o donkeys.

Oh sorry, no. Thats wrong. Hibs are a shower o dodged bullets? I dunno.

Dodging them is certainly a good idea.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:31 pm

You got a no score draw with Celtic at the weekend, that's a got be a commendable score or something. Not going to be too many teams in the SPL this season preventing them a goal.

This Simms kid, I'll be quick never heard of the name in question. He's a forward maybe but we've got options coming out of every orifice for that particular department. Unless we wish to offload certain names we could deem surplus seems little reason to entertain the player or other alternatives for that particular area of field.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:33 pm

All this talk about Ellis Simms, he will score against us now you know that don't you 🫣

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:22 pm

Yep but it'll be 3-1 to us so no worries :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:33 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:31 pm
You got a no score draw with Celtic at the weekend, that's a got be a commendable score or something. Not going to be too many teams in the SPL this season preventing them a goal
Well, I didn’t achieve anything really, Saint……. But if i WAS playing…… i’d gamble money on me scoring the sitter Martin Boyle missed! :lol: 👍👌

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:12 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Cor, that’s spooky Mike, as I was thinking exactly the same thing when I looked at Coventry game. He’s done absolutely nothing has he and look at the price they paid for him!