Stadium Tour

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

shabba

Stadium Tour

Post by shabba » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:53 am

Hi all,

Meant to post about this, just been very busy. As you may know the club is now offering Stadium tours, around £20 (£16 for members). I did it a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd share my thoughts:

Its about 1.5 hours long, does involve a fair bit of walking and stairs so have that in mind if that would be a challenge for health reasons. You get to see the corporate room, managers room, refs office, home and away changing rooms, board room, press area, Ed Sheeran's box and best of all - the dugout.

We had 2 guides and it was about 30-40 people doing the tour, a real mix of ages. The pace was good, not too fast and not too slow, and you could ask questions but they also gave talks on each area.

Overall you can really see the investment, some parts aren't done yet and some are and look great. For me it was special to be in the changing room and then really epic walking out the tunnel to the side of the pitch and getting to sit in the dugout - you get a different perspective from that angle and naturally as a fan of the club it was really amazing to do that.

You can see parts of the club are prem ready and some need upgrading, but they said its been a constant flow of improvement since the new ownership came in.

Highly recommend it.

AzzurroMark

Re: Stadium Tour

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:56 am

Thank you for that great insight Shabba, I can just imagine how it feels to sit in that dugout, waiting for the substitutions to be made so that you can make your ITFC debut! :wink:

Are you on commission? :wink: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:03 am

Yes cheers for that, nice to hear about the improvements being made around the place that we otherwise wouldn't see or even hear about, this really is a club going places again.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:27 am

Superb stuff. 👍👌

Might look into that myself. Next time i’m in London visiting the eldest son, may stop off via Portman Road, Ipswich.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:20 pm

Wonder if there's any plans at any time for us to move away from the stadium and relocate to a new arena. Not everyone can attend games as a regular to obtain proper insight and could be a distinct possibility sometime in the future to find a new home or play elsewhere. Probably come to nothing but you never know.

In any event 20 pound seems a fair price for an hour and half tour. Seems they provide a comprehensive insight into the in's and out's of running the stadium but some areas described just wouldn't appeal. I assume you get to see the League Championship, F.A and UEFA Cup's we won back in time not to mention framed icons such as Crawford, Phillips, Mariner and Brazil etc.

This would surely appeal to fans now that we've progressed in the last year / 18 months. Under Evans attempt to sink the club name without trace and the avalanche of sh*t inept managerial names that came with it, guess not (too) many would be interested or possess the enthusiasm to participate or provide the time and money to take up the opportunity.

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:37 pm

Mark Ashton and other officials already said the long term future with Ipswich is at Portman Road. They are planning for total rebuild of the Cobbold Stand and upgrading everywhere.

Its not just the club who could suffer with a move away but local businesses. Ipswich prides itself with the work and relationships it does in the community. No reason or need to move away. Far far in the distance time wise, if the need was ever needed to increase capacity again, there is always option of the West Stand being looked at
Right now With all the work being made at the ground and future works being done, there is no need nor reason to move away

Went on a tour of the ground years ago in the Joe Royal times here. We bumped into David Sheepshanks and he spent time talking to us all.

Is the wooden block still in the home changing room what used to be used as a door stop, but was used to stamp boots on to get knock the mud off?

Kevin Beatie amongst others so was told used to kick it before games to build up steam

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:40 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:20 pm
Wonder if there's any plans at any time for us to move away from the stadium and relocate to a new arena. Not everyone can attend games as a regular to obtain proper insight and could be a distinct possibility sometime in the future to find a new home or play elsewhere. Probably come to nothing but you never know.
You've mentioned this a few times in the past, and I'm not really sure why? Care to elaborate, is it that you see this happen a lot in the States? A move away from PR in my eyes would be like ripping the soul from the club and stamping on it.

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:00 pm

Ricco wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:40 pm
arana peligrosa wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:20 pm
You've mentioned this a few times in the past, and I'm not really sure why? Care to elaborate, is it that you see this happen a lot in the States? A move away from PR in my eyes would be like ripping the soul from the club and stamping on it.

Honestly cannot seeing it happening. Mark Ashton also mentioned no plans on buying the land because its in Town's best interest to keep up the agreement with the Council

Lets be honest, why would the owners spend so much money on the ground to upgrade it like they have? And are still planning ahead. Just does not make sense. The ground in the coming years will be bigger. Agree on ripping soul from the club and local businesses

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:10 pm

I can see the capacity rising 35k which would in all probability be sufficient

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:27 pm

Twice in the past we made mistakes when upgrading the ground which cost us dearly. However, if the club decided to move away from Portman Road then imo that would be the biggest mistake of the lot. Fortunately I think the current owners can see that as well.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:12 pm

Extremely unlikely - as others have said the club have been clear that when the time is right the next move is the Cobald stand rip down and rebuild bigger. Even that would probably cost 100m plus. A new ground would be 300-500m at a guess? Wouldn’t make sense unless it was for a 50-60k arena which would be full constantly etc.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:54 pm

Thanks for that, Shabba! A stadium tour at Portman Road will certainly be in my plans the next time I cross the pond. I completely agree even the idea of moving to a new stadium would be a disaster. Saint, it would be like moving the Red Sox from Fenway Park! Come on, man! :lol:

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:52 am

I've been looking at these but they are never on when I am back in Suffolk! :( Can't see us ever leaving Portman Road. Its our home and if the current or future owners ever broached the subject I suspect there would be a few protests from fans. If it does ever move I just hope its not in my lifetime! I still smile as soon as I see the stadium from the train and the walk down from the station just gives me goosebumps! #coyb

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:11 pm

Agreed, I think the very fabric is ripped out of the club when they uproot stadium, all those memories and history just seem lost forever, it can't be allowed to happen, fortunately I don't believe it ever will, certainly not in my lifetime anyhow, I have been to so many new stadiums that just lack character or feelgood vibes, some are just abhorrent like Middlesbrough or Swansea, the only One I think is good is Derby, one of my favourite away days.