JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Post by number 9 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:43 am

What do we want? What can we expect? Personally, I think we need reinforcements. We need a backup for Morsy. What do we need?

shabba

Re: January Transfer Window

Post by shabba » Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:40 am

If we are still right up there then it’ll be very interesting to see the approach- what CAN we spend due to financial rules as we don’t really know what effect the last two seasons of investment had on the allowed spending. We did go big last Jan.

If money allows then I suspect we may go fairly big, targeting upgrades on the first team XI. Also wouldn’t be surprised to see top loan players - KM has proven he can develop players so will be trusted with some of the or diet leagues best young talent.

We may need a striker, a more like for like player for Hirsts cover, it’s he’d to actually replace any starter now but we thought that last Jan!

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:12 am

number 9 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:43 am
What do we want? What can we expect? Personally, I think we need reinforcements. We need a backup for Morsy. What do we need?
We've got Taylor, we've got Humphreys, we've got Ball(s). How much more backup do you want?
OK, granted that none of those 3 are anywhere near as good as Morsy, but I'm betting anybody who is as good as Morsy would not be prepared to come here and play second fiddle.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:10 am

I agree, Centre midfield is one area he won't be looking to strengthen, depending on the next few weeks and how Tuanzebe progresses it could be CB is again an area of concern while another striker wouldn't be a bad thing.

I can see some moving on too, Donacien and Aluko to name but Two, maybe even Edmundson if Tuanzebe proves himself.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:29 am

Depends if players go off to some of the Asian cups, leaves us light in CM. Also I don't think the club would be afraid to upgrade anyone if the right player was available, and Mass/Morsy aren't young. Would still be a huge surprise though and as above its hard for someone to come in and be behind those guys and accept that.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:41 am

Yeah it’s possible we’ll lose Morsy for a couple weeks in January, which could be a pivotal time as far as the league is concerned. I’m not comfortable with our current CM depth; I think it can be better.

I still feel we need defensive reinforcements. I’m not comfortable with Clarke anymore and JD is spent. Who knows if Tuanzebe will stay fit. We are still conceding too many goals. I’m not sure we need another striker…I guess maybe a loan in case Hirst or Ladapo get injured. We’re scoring plenty of goals and most of the goals are coming from other players.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:48 pm

I think with Morsy being left out of the latest Egypt squad it is highly unlikely he'll be off the the African cup of nations.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:05 pm

Forgot about Baggott. He should be sufficient backup for defence. Back to Morsy, I hope you're right Mike. I think we'd all be very concerned if we lost Morsy to injury for an extended period of time, though. I'm not even considering Ball as a CM backup. I don't rate him...and Evans is seemingly injured for an extended period. Just think it'd be prudent to bring in someone else, just in case.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:51 am

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:42 pm

He was the one I’m sure who caught my eye when we played them last season and when they ripped into SWFC in that first game at Posh. Very quick, very direct… but dealing with Posh is a nightmare as regards agreeing a deal, so I won’t be holding my breath if we are in for him.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:38 pm

We really need a like for like replacement for Hirst, ladapo is a different player and suited to playing against low block teams where we have all the ball and need a fox in the box, I doubt many teams will low block us like we saw last year. Scarlett is too similar to that so we really have no striker other than Hirst who offers that physical presence, hold up play and workrate.

Finding such a player would be hard but maybe an older striker happy to be the impact sub to take over that role from Hirst.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:10 am
I agree, Centre midfield is one area he won't be looking to strengthen, depending on the next few weeks and how Tuanzebe progresses it could be CB is again an area of concern while another striker wouldn't be a bad thing.

I can see some moving on too, Donacien and Aluko to name but Two, maybe even Edmundson if Tuanzebe proves himself.
I thought Edmundson was one of those closer to the door too but then KMc started him ahead of Burgess a couple of times recently.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:04 pm

Just reading an article about Leicester possibly getting Velentin Barco on loan if ManShitty sign the Argentine. I wonder if Roma have any defenders they could part with for a loan spell? Surely, KM still has a rapport with JoseM. Also, Chris Smalling plays for Roma. I bet KM even coached Smalling during his tenure at ManU. Maybe Chris could smooth the move for a young, talented defender wanting to gain experience...

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:44 am

Football Insider: 12/8/23
Blackburn, Ipswich and Watford eyeing moves for Hertha Berlin attacker Derry Scherhant, sources have told Football Insider

The trio of Championship clubs are keen to bring the 21-year-old to England this January.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:08 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:01 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:10 am

I thought Edmundson was one of those closer to the door too but then KMc started him ahead of Burgess a couple of times recently.
That was purely tactical by all accounts

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:22 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:44 am
Football Insider: 12/8/23
Blackburn, Ipswich and Watford eyeing moves for Hertha Berlin attacker Derry Scherhant, sources have told Football Insider

The trio of Championship clubs are keen to bring the 21-year-old to England this January.
Not sure on the attributes of that guy but the more I see in the games the more I think we badly need a Hirst like for like replacement, someone who can hold the ball up, make runs and keep an oppositions defence occupied - providing a focal point, it’s especially important towards the end of games where we are leading - and we have lacked that this season when Hirst is knackered (understandably) and needs subbing.

Suspect this is what we will be going for, would be hard to get anyone better than Hirst as that would likely come with a large fee, but even an adequate backup would do nicely. Otherwise Hirst has to start every game and that’s a tall ask with injuries, midweek games coming thick and fast etc.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:10 am

With the prospect of being promoted a real possibility, should we use the January transfer window to recruit a couple premiership quality players? (If there are any available).

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:14 am

number 9 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:10 am
With the prospect of being promoted a real possibility, should we use the January transfer window to recruit a couple premiership quality players? (If there are any available).
- you don’t want to being some guys in on prem money though. If they don’t perform it will possibly ruin the team sprint as others will be paid a lot less.
- who do you get that’s good enough for the prem yet somehow not playing in the Prem and ready to come here?

Only way I see that happening is with a loan of a player who can’t get a game for his prem team and we don’t have to pay all the wages.

Very challenging window to get right this one!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:36 am

https://insidefutbol.com/2023/12/17/ips ... ng/629834/
Ipswich Town have up to £3m available to sign a new striker in the January transfer window, according to journalist Alan Nixon. Ipswich want to make sure that McKenna is backed, and the boss wants to add another goal-getter to his group. They have made money available and have up to £3m to spend. It is also suggested that Ipswich could offer the hitman up to £15,000 per week to tempt him to Portman Road.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:43 pm

shabba wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:14 am
number 9 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:10 am
- you don’t want to being some guys in on prem money though. If they don’t perform it will possibly ruin the team sprint as others will be paid a lot less.
- who do you get that’s good enough for the prem yet somehow not playing in the Prem and ready to come here?

Only way I see that happening is with a loan of a player who can’t get a game for his prem team and we don’t have to pay all the wages.

Very challenging window to get right this one!
Some good points there Shabba. I wonder if the wages would be lower if Town looked abroad to bring in a player that could hit the ground running in the Championship but also be coachable to step up to PL should we get promoted?

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:20 pm

I think it's all a big game of poker. Ashton obviously shouting about our limitation with fair play coming in to it, perhaps that's a ploy to stop clubs taking the p*ss with prices, or it's legitimate and we're already flying close to the sun. We did dump a lot of money to get out of League 1, fortunately most of those recruits have proved themselves a tier up too.

It's tricky and depends who is available as always, if Tuanzebe is considered up to scratch and not too much of an injury risk, then maybe boosting the centre backs isn't a big a priority as it was a couple of months ago. Striker is the other area, Hirst doesn't score an awful lot, Ladapo does, but he doesn't offer much else. Other than that, it's perhaps just strengthening the squad.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:22 pm

Oh and right back, forgot about that :( is Clarke showing better promise?

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:33 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:22 pm
Oh and right back, forgot about that :( is Clarke showing better promise?
Right back is well covered, Clark has been decent recently, Williams showed he was very good earlier in the season and JD is back to fitness.

Even Dom Ball can fill in there if needed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:37 pm

I think Clarke has been very good in recent matches

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:24 pm

Yip he has, but I don’t think he’ll play the next two games…. What do you think?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:04 am

It’s becoming very clear to me, KM is not interested in clean sheets now. The owners want exciting football, so it makes sense another striker is on the cards. Personally I’d prefer to shore up our leaky defense, but I won’t question the objective as long as we continue to win. Hold on to your ITFC hat cuz it’s gonna be risky and fun!

Gonna have to fix the defense at some point, though.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:29 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:24 pm
Yip he has, but I don’t think he’ll play the next two games…. What do you think?
He’ll start both I think. He has been good of late and Williams got hooked at half time va Watford as was struggling against their attacking players.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:21 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:04 am
Personally I’d prefer to shore up our leaky defense
Do we have a leaky defence though 9? Of course he would like to concede fewer goals, but I don't think McKenna is losing sleep over defensive issues.

That's great that Clarke is playing better, and with that I'm starting to think we don't have a personnel problem in defence, and that we don't really have a 'problem' at all. I think it's purely a symptom of the aggressive tactics, a necessary evil. I've said before that in a classic 442, the fullbacks have cover from the man in front, but in our system they don't, Boradhead and Burns are often nowhere to be seen defensively. On top of that, the fullbacks are being asked to play as wing backs.

It's very aggressive, we're the only team to average more than 2 goals a game scored, you're always going to have a leaky defence in that case, because you're committing so many men forward and allowing the opposition space on the flanks, and the potential to outnumber you. What McKenna is saying is, have a go at us please, we're giving you that opportunity, but if you do, then you are taking a risk, giving us space in return and we will capitalise on that. It's a you score 2, we'll score 3 mentality, as apposed to McCarthy's you score 0, we'll score 0 mentality. 1 Win and 2 Losses are the same amount of points as 3 Draws, it pays to roll the dice, the game is stacked in your favour, and you can't claim that McKenna's gamble ain't working, he should be given a medal for being brave enough to be that aggressive as a new manager trying to establish himself.

I think that's kind of backed up by the fact we have the 2nd tightest defence on the road, 9 conceded in 11 and the 22nd tightest defence at home, 19 conceded in 11. I think that shows it's the plan and we can have a tight defence if we wish, but we choose attack instead. 28pts at home 24pts away shows it doesn't really matter, what matters is scoring more than the opposition, winning 11-10 is better than a 0-0 draw.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:39 pm

Excellent post that Ricco and spot on for me, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:06 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:21 pm
number 9 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:04 am
Personally I’d prefer to shore up our leaky defense
Do we have a leaky defence though 9? Of course he would like to concede fewer goals, but I don't think McKenna is losing sleep over defensive issues.

That's great that Clarke is playing better, and with that I'm starting to think we don't have a personnel problem in defence, and that we don't really have a 'problem' at all. I think it's purely a symptom of the aggressive tactics, a necessary evil. I've said before that in a classic 442, the fullbacks have cover from the man in front, but in our system they don't, Boradhead and Burns are often nowhere to be seen defensively. On top of that, the fullbacks are being asked to play as wing backs.

It's very aggressive, we're the only team to average more than 2 goals a game scored, you're always going to have a leaky defence in that case, because you're committing so many men forward and allowing the opposition space on the flanks, and the potential to outnumber you. What McKenna is saying is, have a go at us please, we're giving you that opportunity, but if you do, then you are taking a risk, giving us space in return and we will capitalise on that. It's a you score 2, we'll score 3 mentality, as apposed to McCarthy's you score 0, we'll score 0 mentality. 1 Win and 2 Losses are the same amount of points as 3 Draws, it pays to roll the dice, the game is stacked in your favour, and you can't claim that McKenna's gamble ain't working, he should be given a medal for being brave enough to be that aggressive as a new manager trying to establish himself.

I think that's kind of backed up by the fact we have the 2nd tightest defence on the road, 9 conceded in 11 and the 22nd tightest defence at home, 19 conceded in 11. I think that shows it's the plan and we can have a tight defence if we wish, but we choose attack instead. 28pts at home 24pts away shows it doesn't really matter, what matters is scoring more than the opposition, winning 11-10 is better than a 0-0 draw.
Yep, nothing wrong with that, and we havn't seen that attitude since Joe Royle. And as you say, aggressive tactics will result in certain players having to cover a tremendous amount of ground - look at how much ground Davis covers in a game. So, yes, we should expect to concede a few goals because of the style we play, but that doesn't excuse some of the schoolboy marking we've witnessed for some of those goals.