Championship - Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Back to winning ways?

Rotherham Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
92%
Draw
8%

Total votes: 13

rossi

Re: Championship - Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by rossi » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:28 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:18 pm
What was bad about the pass? From memory it went straight to him snd he tried to control it with his chest , but the pace of the ball was harder . He dealt with it poorly. But the pace although hard was straight at him from memory. His poor control allowed two players to pressure him. We were 4 mins into the fans and they were hunting in packs and closing down any Town player very aggressively (just like Brum did). We’re not dealing with the early hard press. Teams are doing this more snd more each game and we’re not dealing with it are we.
I was always taught that if you pass directly to a man then you play the ball to feet. If you cant do that and have to put the ball in the air then you put the ball into space near the man but not directly at him. That's a good mantra and works equally well in defence and attack. The ball from Tuanzebe to Davis was hard and in the air and straight at Davis. His attempt to control the ball was woeful. Both equally to blame in my opinion.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:12 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:35 am
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:54 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:18 pm
What was bad about the pass? From memory it went straight to him snd he tried to control it with his chest , but the pace of the ball was harder . He dealt with it poorly. But the pace although hard was straight at him from memory. His poor control allowed two players to pressure him. We were 4 mins into the fans and they were hunting in packs and closing down any Town player very aggressively (just like Brum did). We’re not dealing with the early hard press. Teams are doing this more snd more each game and we’re not dealing with it are we.

The pass was way to long/high and with too much power, but that comes after too long a lay off from competitive game time. From what I saw last night was enough to know that just line Brandon Williams he will soon be a regular starter replacing either Woolfie or Burgess as long as he stays fit.
That's exactly it and all I'm saying, without that pass we don't concede but as I've repeatedly said, aside from that he did ok.

So Andy, who are you expecting to play at CB against Swansea? I think Axel came in because of Rotherham 's style and how they play, I would not be at all surprised to see Burgess and Woolfenden paired up again Saturday.

I think you’re probably right there
Mike, but I also see Axel being given gradually more game time as I think McKenna sees him as the eventual first choice Rt CB. Time will tell as I often say. It’s good we have really competition for all positions in the team isn’t it. I doubt Axel will at this point in his rehab be playing two games within such a short space of time between game atm…

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:26 pm

Not gonna lie, I genuinely believe that Elkan Baggott is better than all of them.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:05 pm

Baggott is already ready for a start imho. Going forward I can easily see him and Axel as the CB pairing next season. With Burgess / Woolfie as back up . But if we get promoted watch this space ….

“ This club cannot stand still….” ( McKenna)

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:09 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:26 pm
Not gonna lie, I genuinely believe that Elkan Baggott is better than all of them.
I think you are spot on there Mike I said to Liz on here that Baggott and Axel should make a good pairing, but to cut out this early goal given perhaps we should play 4 4 2 in the first 15 mins until we settle into our rhythm and then back to 4 2 3 1 try and take the strain out of going behind early, what do you think ???

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:40 pm

Well I adopt the theory if it ain't broke don't fix it and after 15 games I think we've done pretty damn well so I wouldn’t be swaying away from our favoured formation tbh, we just need to cut out any individual errors