Life's a pitch

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Cabanas Blue

Life's a pitch

Post by Cabanas Blue » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:18 pm

Life's a pitch last night was excellent, it was good to see Kieron Dyer looking so well, it's a must watch, Kieron was saying that only Davis and Broadhead looking like premier league players the rest Championship players thoughts on that ? I think a couple of others could make the step up.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Life's a pitch

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:45 pm

Morsy 100%, age is his only issue
Hladky no problem
Chaplin possibly
Williams & Hutchinson probably but neither are ours.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:23 pm

I wish Kieron all the best, it's great to see him healthy, but I wouldn't listen to too much that he has to say about football. I think he was saying that those two look like they have the quality to be Premiership players going forward, not that they're the only two that could do a job in the Premiership and that we'd have to replace the other 9 were we promoted.

Look back to last time, Alun Armstrong, you wouldn't say he was a 'Premier League player' when he came to the club, no chance, but he finished as second top scorer for us in the season where we came 5th. Jermaine Wright, same story, he'd be a 'Championship player' in Kieron's mind for sure... and he finished with the second most appearances in that same season.

I think it's impossible to say which players could make the step for many reasons, for one they would be playing in a different system to the one they're playing in now. 6 months ago we were considering who would make it at Championship level, but the team really is no different to then and they're flying at the top of the league.

I think Kieron is looking at quality too, and I'd be more inclined to look at physicality, which is where I think we'd slightly fall down. We have loads of quality on the ball, but would we get the same time and possession levels in the Prem? If not, then you need super fit and strong players, I think our CBs are too slow for Premier League, I think we'd need a new right back, our centre mids are slowing as they age and I haven't seen enough of Taylor, so that's a pivotal area to get right. I think that is where investment would have to be if promotion was to materialise, I think going forward we'd survive as we are now and a big signing or two would really boost that.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:25 pm

I agree Mike and with Chaplin I don't see why not as long as he gets the service.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:30 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:25 pm
I agree Mike and with Chaplin I don't see why not as long as he gets the service.
Maybe he slipped Kieron's mind, because it's a bit harsh to include Broadhead and not Chaplin, they're pretty stride for stride, but Chaplin gets more involved and is clearly very hungry to make it to the highest level he can.