Championship - Ipswich Town vs Millwall FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

It's how we respond to Saturdays defeat right?

Ipswich Win
87%
Millwall Win
No votes
Draw
13%

Total votes: 15

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Ipswich Town vs Millwall FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:37 am

Image Ipswich Town v MillwallImage

Wednesday 29th November 2023 – 20:00

Portman Road

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

I suppose at some point it was always going to happen, a poor performance and a defeat was inevitable but I must confess I found it really tough to deal with while watching what for me was an awful game from our point of view, absolutely nothing seemed to go right and we were comprehensively beaten by a team who I feel are the best we have played all season, from the first minute to the last they outwitted us, out battled us, out passed us and completely outplayed us so credit to them for doing what no other team has even come close to achieving.

I think KM was spot on when he said the timing of their goals were an absolute killer for our game plan as it changed the whole dynamic, West Brom were the latest in a line of teams to find a way to breach our brittle defence with virtually their first ball into our box, the header at the near post was so simple and yet we failed to even get close to defending it, having no defender on the far post was also a bit of a error which would almost certainly have stopped the goal from happening. There has been much talk about our Centre Backs and it is hard to argue against them being too weak and suspect as the goals against column continues to grow, I think we could well be getting close to the time that Axel Tuanzebe steps in to shore it up a bit.

For me it wasn't only the defence that needs looking at for this game, I felt Chaplin, Broadhead & Hirst were rank bad throughout the game, very lethargic and wasteful to name but Two flaws but again it hasn't happened often and it was just a shame they all seemed off it at the same time which again has to be seen as a bit of a compliment to West Brom who nullified any threat we had going forward, I did not for One second see any team in this division stopping out very potent attack from registering a single shot on goal all game, it was quite a staggering outcome on a day best forgotten.

There weren't many positives to take from the game at all but for me seeing Brandon Williams back in a Town shirt after all the rumours was definitely the biggest one and I felt he was by far the best Player in a Town shirt all game, another worry though is that his Yellow card takes his tally to Four so he's now One card away from a ban and with tough games and the Derby game coming up we could well lose him at the worst possible time, add to that our skipper Sam Morsy who was the only other player to really come out of the West Brom game with any credit has moved onto Eight yellows and is also not too far away from his second ban of the season.

Other results went our way as aside from leaders Leicester City the others in the top Six etc all drew or lost which seemed to soften the blow of our slip up and still leaves us in a very healthy place as we approach December and with Two very winnable home games this week we have little to panic about, I think should we attain the Two wins this will be forgotten very quickly indeed and there is nothing to suggest we cannot do the business against Millwall & Coventry City at Portman Road, what follows that looks vert tough indeed but it will go a long way to showing just how real our challenge at the top is and looking at teams we have already beaten I think we can do enough over this period to maintain our top Two position.

Our next opponents this Wednesday evening are Millwall FC who after last season's decent campaign will be somewhat disappointed and frustrated with how this season has gone so far, Saturday's poor defeat at home to Coventry City sees them languishing down in 18th place in the table as we near the halfway stage, their current form is not good with only One win in the last Seven which is a surprise. Scoring goals has been a bit of an issue for them so if we can only tighten up in this department you have to favour our chances of getting back to winning ways, the real Ipswich Town could possibly have too much for the Lions going forward and I for One am expecting a bit of a reaction following the poor display at the Hawthorns and with this again being on Sky TV I would like to see us put in a performance for the viewing audience who must surely have wondered what all the fuss and hype has been about where Town are concerned.

It's a game we can win, a game we really should win and I think on this occasion a game we really need to win to alleviate the possibility of any ridiculous over reaction from growing to daft proportions, yes it is only One win in the last Four but equally it is only Two defeat in close to Forty games so let's get real here. It's a Town win for me, I don't see Mckenna getting outsmarted Twice in Five days nor do I see Town's "big players" going AWOL again any time soon. Town Win. COYB'S

The Opposition – Millwall FC - Honours

League

Second Division
Champions: 1987–88

Third Division South / Third Division / Second Division / League One
Champions: 1927–28, 1937–38, 2000–01
Promoted: 1965–66, 1975–76, 1984–85
Play-off winners: 2010, 2017

Fourth Division
Champions: 1961–62
Runners-up: 1964–65

Western Football League
Champions: 1907–08, 1908–09

Southern Football League
Champions: 1894–95, 1895–96

Cup

FA Cup
Runners-up: 2003–04

Football League Trophy
Winners: 1982–83
Runners-up: 1998–99

Football League War Cup
Finalists: 1945

Third Division South Cup
Winners: 1937

The Manager – Adam Barrett

League Table as at 27.11.2023

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

28 Oct Ipswich Town 3 - 2 Plymouth

4 Nov Birmingham City 2 - 2 Ipswich Town

7 Nov Rotherham 2 - 2 Ipswich Town

11 Nov Ipswich Town 3 - 2 Swansea City

25 Nov West Brom 2 - 0 Ipswich Town

Millwall FC

24 Oct Millwall 1 - 2 Blackburn

28 Oct Watford 2 - 2 Millwall

4 Nov Millwall 0 - 1 Southampton

11 Nov Sheffield Wed 0 - 4 Millwall

25 Nov Millwall 0 - 3 Coventry City

Head to Head

Match Referee – Thomas Bramall

IPSWICH TOWN 1 MILLWALL 0

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Millwall FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:26 am

Jeezo, 🤦‍♂️, just did a St Jude Arana! 🤦‍♂️
Typed out a big post then the phone deleted it for some reason. Must've been wind & pish as usual and you’ve all been spared. f**king irritating though. :evil:
Very good preview. 👍

Back to winning ways v Millwall…….. and also putting a halt in that last 5 games “2 times table pattern” in the GA column.
2-0 Ipswich Town

Caption:
Barratt: “Ref? What …….. the …….. FK?”
Ref: “Staring contest, Adam? I’ll win!”

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:24 pm

This is the team we should put out against Millwall on Wednesday to try and stop early goals against us and give Wolfenden a rest as he's the weakest link, 4-4-2

Walton
Willams Tuanzebe Burgess Davis
Morsey Humphreys Luongo Taylor
Scarlett Hutchinson

Subs Bench: Chaplin, Broardhead, Aluko, Hirst, Burns, Harness, Hladky, Donacien

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:11 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:24 pm
This is the team we should put out against Millwall on Wednesday to try and stop early goals against us and give Wolfenden a rest as he's the weakest link, 4-4-2

Walton
Scarlett Hutchinson

I'd say that's an overreaction. What has Hladky done to get dropped? And jettisoning Hirst and Ladapo means abandoning the whole system.

However, while I'm a big Woolfy fan, I can see the logic of giving him a break. I would make a couple of changes to the regular 11 who have served us so well this year. Maybe Woolfy and Broadhead, who while a sublime player, had a really quiet game on Saturday

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:18 pm

ashfordblue wrote:

Walton
Scarlett Hutchinson

Without sounding too harsh, this is just ridiculous- those players don’t even fit into a 442, and would be a total
Change up of tactics which no same manager would do overnight without having been on an extremely poor run.

We aren’t desperately trying to stay up and wanting to put 9 players behind the ball etc.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:26 pm

Gone for a Town win although this game could be a lot tougher than some think as like us Millwall have only lost once in the league on their travels this season. Their problem seems to be home form as they have already lost 6 games at the New Den. Hopefully Town will be at it from the off and secure the 3 points.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:30 pm

🤞

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:33 pm

ashfordblue wrote:

Walton
Scarlett Hutchinson

I’d respectfully suggest that’s the baby out with bath water Ash! Too many changes and probably not altogether the right ones.

It’ll be interesting to see what “ The Boss” does for Millwall. We’ll see won’t we. :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:39 pm

Ash, I think you're on a wind up mate, or at least I hope you are.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:37 pm

If there are wholesale changes then I think we’d all be questioning Kierons kneejerkiness!!
He ain’t Paul “who said that?” Lambert with his stumble fumble upon a solution tactics.

Chappers will find his mojo again, they all will…….. they’ve all done it before convincingly. Kieron will be gently massaging their confidence and it’ll all be ok.

And err……, just an opinion so please spare the bawsac booting …… but …… i’ve personally NEVER bought into the “they’ve figured us out” thinking. In fact i think its absolute BS. I’d entertain it maybe for D!ck Campbell @ Arbroath, or any Mick McCarthy game when he’s expecting a loss……. But not Kieron McKenna’s approach to the game. The games where the lads have hauled themselves back into it after a HT teamtalk.

No significant changes v Millwall.

Hopefully.

COYB’s

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:47 pm

Broadhead is getting over an illness. It wouldn’t surprise me if the bug has affected others. It’s probably time to give Tuanzebe a start and Taylor seems to be more effective coming on as a sub. If it wasn’t for Hladky, we’d be looking at multiple defeats not draws.

Millwall will be tough. I’m going for the draw.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:01 pm

Just a couple of changes should be enough maybe Bart will help us out 🙏

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:17 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:47 pm
Broadhead is getting over an illness. It wouldn’t surprise me if the bug has affected others. It’s probably time to give Tuanzebe a start and Taylor seems to be more effective coming on as a sub. If it wasn’t for Hladky, we’d be looking at multiple defeats not draws.

That's a good point regarding Broadhead but does beg the question why was he allowed to go away with Wales

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:34 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:17 pm
number 9 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:47 pm

That's a good point regarding Broadhead but does beg the question why was he allowed to go away with Wales
Not sure a cold is a legitimate exclusion from international duties. Broadhead probably wanted to be available for his country. Question is, why did KM not give him an extra rest? I’m a bit baffled if that was the case. It’s not like we don’t have cover.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:02 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:39 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: OK Mikey you come up with how we stop leaking early goals:? :? Walton back in goal as Hladky although a good stopper I don't like to see him pushing the ball out for the opposition who hit in the rebound, Walton was a safe pair of hands until his injury, and you did mention Tuanzebe needs to start, Don't you think it wise to start a 4-4-2 until we find our rhythm, also Spurs are not happy Scarlett is not getting more game time, hence he's worth a start???

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:01 pm

I don't recall anyone scoring from a rebound after Hladky pushes the ball out ? And I'm sorry Walton is pretty crap, especially the way we play out from the back, Hladky is excellent at it and Walton is p*ss poor, Hladky has won us several games this season and tops several stat tables.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:12 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:02 pm
Bluemike wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: OK Mikey you come up with how we stop leaking early goals:? :? Walton back in goal as Hladky although a good stopper I don't like to see him pushing the ball out for the opposition who hit in the rebound, Walton was a safe pair of hands until his injury, and you did mention Tuanzebe needs to start, Don't you think it wise to start a 4-4-2 until we find our rhythm, also Spurs are not happy Scarlett is not getting more game time, hence he's worth a start???
Ash, don't you think that whatever GK plays they will push the ball out short because that's the way KM tells them to play? Hladky has done nothing to warrant being dropped - in fact I would venture to say that he has saved us quite a few points so far this season.

As for 4-4-2 - well, much as I would like to see that formation I'm afraid it will never happen under KM - he's a 4-2-3-1 man and always will be.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:08 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:12 am
ashfordblue wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:02 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Ash, don't you think that whatever GK plays they will push the ball out short because that's the way KM tells them to play? Hladky has done nothing to warrant being dropped - in fact I would venture to say that he has saved us quite a few points so far this season.

As for 4-4-2 - well, much as I would like to see that formation I'm afraid it will never happen under KM - he's a 4-2-3-1 man and always will be.
Statistically Hlakdy is the best keeper in the whole league so far this season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:15 am

So let's drop him :roll:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:47 pm

Well, we will see tonight what Keiran's lineup will be I shall be watching it on SKY, :D munching Chinese and downing Morrettie beers, and hoping for a positive result. I still think Tuanzebe and Burgess will be the better pairing in the back four

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:16 pm

Yes I suspect Tuanzabe will start, lets make a guess for the XI:

Hladky

Williams
Burges
Tuanzabe
Davis

Mosry
Luongo

Burns
Chaplin
Scartlett

Hirst

I just have a feeling Scarlett might be given a start, I'm also sure Massimo will return tonight. Otherwise I could see a few changegs happening, maybe even clarke coming in, or maybe even Freddie, Marcuss etc etc. I suspect 2-4 changes.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:03 pm

I go along with your team except I think he'll stick with Broadhead over Scarlett

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:37 pm

Could also be Harness. I’d also hope Hutchison can make the bench.

lucy

Post by lucy » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:48 pm

At the rate the Fog is setting in, it might be a Spot the Ball Competition tonight 🤣

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:04 pm

Clarke in for Williams who isn't on the bench again, something odd here I still say it. Tuanzebe in for Woolfenden, Luongo in for Taylor

lucy

Post by lucy » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:04 pm
Clarke in for Williams who isn't on the bench again, something odd here I still say it. Tuanzebe in for Woolfenden, Luongo in for Taylor
Apparently Williams has a Knock but yes I agree it does seem odd

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:26 pm

I’m surprised Broadhead is starting to be honest. If he has another non productive performance, I will question KM’s decision. Good to see Tuanzebe in the line up. Woolfy probably needs a break. I still think our defence needs reinforcements, but we all know that.

COYB!!!

lucy

Post by lucy » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:10 pm

1-0 Chaplin :mrgreen:

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:11 pm

Get in!

1-0.

Early goal for Town for a change.