Championship - Ipswich Town vs Millwall FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

It's how we respond to Saturdays defeat right?

Ipswich Win
87%
Millwall Win
No votes
Draw
13%

Total votes: 15

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Millwall FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:21 pm

Jesus christ I'm cold 🥶

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:24 pm

Superb performance tonight. Like to have been a fly on the wall after WBA performance !!
McKenna reminds me so much of Eddie Howe in how they interview and go about their business. December will be interesting month. Think Town have a really great chance this season.
Last edited by valleyroad on Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:24 pm

Interesting post match comment from Matt Holland on Sky.

“Individually Town don’t have the best players in the Championship but they do have the best coached team in the Championship and the best manager”.

I do wonder how long we’ll be able to hang on to him. I think our only chance is if we get promotion and even then it could still be a challenge.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:25 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:24 pm

“Individually Town don’t have the best players in the Championship but they do have the best coached team in the Championship and the best manager”.
It was the same with Bournemouth under Howe

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:39 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:25 pm
Charnwood wrote:

The difference with Eddie Howe was his wife wouldn’t move the family away from the South Coast despite him having numerous offers from other much bigger clubs.

If you look at his playing career he joined Bournemouth in 1994 as a teenager and apart from two years down the road at Portsmouth who loaned him back to Bournemouth where he basically played his whole career (1994-2007). At the end of his playing career he stayed with them as a player/coach and into various management role’s before taking over as first team manager in 2008.

In 2011 he was appointed manager at Burnley where he signed a three and a half year contract but resigned after his first full season as his wife and family wouldn’t leave Bournemouth where he returned to for a further 8 years (2012-2020). During this second spell as manager he was constantly linked with jobs at bigger clubs but his wife’s reluctance to move meant he stayed put on the South Coast until he left by mutual consent.

I think if you add that lot up he spent from 1994 -2020 (26yrs) living in Bournemouth apart from a short spell living away from home at Burnley where he never relocated. It’s quite clear his lack of mobility had a significant impact on his career progression.

Compare that with Kieran McKenna who has moved with his career a few times and quickly relocated his whole family to Ipswich clearly he’s far more mobile.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:43 am

That was more like it Town, back to winning ways and a performance more akin to what we have come to expect. Three well taken goals and some very eye catching, free flowing football, especially in the first half where the game was won.

But for Town old boy Bart and the post it could easily have been at least Six while Hladky got down to a couple of Millwall efforts on the first half.

Hats off to Tuanzebe who I thought looked far more assured at CB than the usual suspects, Morsy and Mass bossed the Midfield and the front players showed far more endeavour and all did ok although again Broadhead struggled at times despite taking his goal well.

For me Wes Burns was excellent last night and should have got the MOTM in my opinion, I thought Harry Clarke also looked far more solid than some previous games, although it has to be said for the most part Millwall were poor but maybe that was down to us. I think we may be seeing more of Clarke over the coming weeks.

With Leeds and Southampton winning it was vital we won and what with the added bonus of Leicester mucking up again against bottom side Sheffield Wednesday we could just be top come 5pm Saturday evening providing we do the business against an improving Coventry City. I think we can safely say West Brom was nothing more than an off night against a very good team. Onwards and upwards. COYB'S

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:18 am

Having lived in Leicestershire for the best part of 20 years I still have lots of friends and family contacts who I chat with about Leicester City and they can’t believe how well they’re doing without playing well and think they’ve been very lucky.

Certainly they’ve been the beneficiary of a few very dodgy decisions which have been costly to other clubs and have had more than their fair share of luck. As we know that doesn’t run for ever and over a season will most likely average out.

All we can do is take each game as it comes and try to keep it going. With a very difficult run of games in December where we are come the end of the year will give us a better idea of what our chances are and where we could be come the end of the season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:02 am

What a game for me to miss unfortunately. But so pleased we’ve turned up and put in a great display. More of the same Saturday please

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:11 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:43 am
I think we can safely say West Brom was nothing more than an off night against a very good team…….
Yep, definitely. Fancy WBA to go up this year in the play-offs.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:16 am

marko69 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:11 am
Bluemike wrote:
I think we can safely say West Brom was nothing more than an off night against a very good team…….
That's us fecked then. :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:17 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:16 am
marko69 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:11 am
Bluemike wrote:
That's us fecked then. :wink:
Autos for CHAMPIONS Ipswich Town.

🤦‍♂️, oh feck…….. thats that jinxed

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:28 am

I still think Leicester could well miss out on the Automatics tbh

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:27 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:28 am
I still think Leicester could well miss out on the Automatics tbh
Yes, my feeling is that Leeds will pick up more points than Leicester between now and end of the season. I'm not going to say Leicester don't deserve to be at the top of the table, but they started the season as favourites and that can win you quite a few points if teams give you too much respect, set up negatively and give up sooner than they might against another team. They're stuttering a bit now and hopefully Wednesday taking a point from them shows the rest of the division that they can have a go too.

What are thoughts on the rest of the chasing pack, the bookies have Leeds as very dangerous contenders for top 2, Southampton with half a chance, West Brom and Middlesborough as outside chances and anything beyond them would be a shock. Personally I'd say Leeds and West Brom are the two to watch, Southampton would have to improve in certain areas and Middlesborough are unlikely to go on the run of results they'd need to make up the lost ground.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:17 pm

Agree with all of that ^^^^ 👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:35 pm

I agree that hallam no doubt did agree with all of that. 👍👌

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:37 pm

I think you've both hit the nail on the head to be honest.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:43 pm

Yes summed up perfectly, I think Town and Leeds will be top Two, Leicester, Southampton, WBA and Hull for play offs

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:00 pm

I was going to write my thoughts but Mike covered it perfectly, its exactly as I saw it.

I would say though there was a noticeable drop off after the 4 subs came on, we just didn't look as cohesive etc.

I was very happy with the overall performance though.

Re Southampton - they seem a tad under the radar whilst everyone is talking about Leeds. I think its going to be a real battle to make the top 2 but lets see what January brings in terms of business, both for us and the parachute clubs.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:27 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:37 pm
I agree. I’ll pm Hallam and ask if she agrees. Might start a poll. Anyone agree for a poll?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:32 pm

I see that both Town and Leicester are outside the top 6 in the form table for the past 6 games. A sign that both are beginning to show a drop in form? West Brom, Southampton and Leeds are the top 3. So difficult to predict what will happen in the 2nd half of the season but feel that come the business end of the season there could be several clubs chasing those automatic places.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:55 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:27 pm
Ricco wrote:
I agree. I’ll pm Hallam and ask if she agrees. Might start a poll. Anyone agree for a poll?
If Hallam agrees, then I totally disagree with her on that.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:02 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:39 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:25 pm
Charnwood wrote:

The difference with Eddie Howe was his wife wouldn’t move the family away from the South Coast despite him having numerous offers from other much bigger clubs.

If you look at his playing career he joined Bournemouth in 1994 as a teenager and apart from two years down the road at Portsmouth who loaned him back to Bournemouth where he basically played his whole career (1994-2007). At the end of his playing career he stayed with them as a player/coach and into various management role’s before taking over as first team manager in 2008.

In 2011 he was appointed manager at Burnley where he signed a three and a half year contract but resigned after his first full season as his wife and family wouldn’t leave Bournemouth where he returned to for a further 8 years (2012-2020). During this second spell as manager he was constantly linked with jobs at bigger clubs but his wife’s reluctance to move meant he stayed put on the South Coast until he left by mutual consent.

I think if you add that lot up he spent from 1994 -2020 (26yrs) living in Bournemouth apart from a short spell living away from home at Burnley where he never relocated. It’s quite clear his lack of mobility had a significant impact on his career progression.

Compare that with Kieran McKenna who has moved with his career a few times and quickly relocated his whole family to Ipswich clearly he’s far more mobile.
:) I was just meaning that Bournemouth didn't have the best players in the division when they came out of the championship. It was down to having an outstanding coach who was the best in the division. McKenna is the same. He operates like Eddie Howe and interviews the same. Both top managers. Howe for me is the best English manager since Robson/Venables.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:03 pm

I’d agree with you there VR 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:07 pm

Closely followed by Rooney 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Who has taken Birmingham from the cusp of the play offs to also rans it little over a month. Total muppett.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:14 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:07 pm
Who has taken Birmingham from the cusp of the play offs to also rans it little over a month. Total muppett.
Was the Brum owner the only person on Earth that didn't see this happening?
Before Rooney... 5th Place 1.64 pts per game
Since Rooney... 23rd Place 0.57 pts per game

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:15 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:55 pm
marko69 wrote:
Ricco wrote:
:lol: 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:40 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:14 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:07 pm
Was the Brum owner the only person on Earth that didn't see this happening?
Before Rooney... 5th Place 1.64 pts per game
Since Rooney... 23rd Place 0.57 pts per game
It was absolute suicide, his win ratio was hideous before this job, I just have no idea what the owners were thinking, nor do the Brum fans.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:45 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:15 pm
Ricco wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:55 pm
marko69 wrote:

:lol: 👍
lol, suddupayaface two :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:55 pm

found out the score and result a few moments ago and that's the truth of it. Haven't been able to get online, missed the game last night and maybe would have joined in but what's done is done.

Right off the bat it's a win, we got three points and relief to have found victory from it. Still trying to ascertain just how well we played and all relevant information, going through replies etc. Leicester could only tie and we draw a few points closer to them, hell guess that's an encouraging night's work.

kind of disappointed the team didn't keep a clean sheet or whatever but the last game aside, we got goals in abundance it woud seem. Millwall are an average team, they can be got at and manipulated and last night proved it once again. Kind of wish had been part of it but after the event, we got the win and that's all important.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:29 pm

We played really well AP, some of the football in the first half was excellent!!,

16 wins from the last 17 home games, a remarkable stat.