Championship - Ipswich Town vs Coventry City FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A Chance to go top?

Ipswich Win
93%
Coventry Win
No votes
Draw
7%

Total votes: 14

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Ipswich Town vs Coventry City FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:56 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Coventry CityImage

Saturday 2nd December 2023 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Any doubts Town fans may have had regarding Town's ability to continue our excellent start to the season were well and truly snuffed out Wednesday evening as Town returned to something approaching what we have come to expect as we dispatched Millwall with minimal fuss courtesy of a very efficient and professional performance that at times, particularly in the first half, was a joy to watch. It was pleasing to see us come out of the blocks with purpose and intent which has been a little bit lacking in recent times and for a change it was us that got the early goal which set the tone for the whole evening, Two goals in the opening Fifteen minutes pretty much got the job done but didn't detract from a very enjoyable game.

Kieran McKenna did a bit of tinkering with the team and it was of little surprise to see Axel Tuanzebe handed a start with Luke Woolfenden the one to miss out, a good call and right decision as Axel strode through much of the game with a cool and head and brought a steadiness to the back Four which is often found to be wanting, I suspect Woolfy may have his work cut out to force his way back in. Seeing Harry Clarke at Right back and Brandon Williams nowhere to be seen again raised more than a few eyebrows and while you often have to take things with a pinch of salt hearing certain things from a reliable source was quite concerning.

I thought all of Town's Three goals were really well worked and finished with aplomb, the first was created by a super ball from Wes Burns, having burst down the right he delivered a superb ball onto the head of George Hirst who did well to cushion his header down for Conor Chaplin to fire home with Bialkowski rooted to the spot. The second was equally as good, more good work by Burns & Chaplin teed it up for Massimo Luongo to take the defted of touches before firing home a cracker with Bart once again stranded. The Third was inevitably set up by Leif Davis as his cross found the head of the advancing Nathan Broadhead who planted his header perfectly into the far corner of the net, all Three goals were so well crafted.

At the other Town Hladky was rarely tested but did have to be alert to get down to his left sharply as a strike took a deflection and was arrowing into the bottom corner, thankfully the big man, who must have seen it late was equal to it and pulled off a very good save. Aside from our goals Wes Burns crashed one off the post, Hirst saw his strike brilliantly tipped over and One or Two other chances also went begging but Town went into the break to the sound of loud applause.

The second half in truth didn't quite hit the heights of the First and with the Fog swirling around the stadium visibility did become a bit difficult at times, chances weren't quite so free flowing but it was Town who continued to look the more likely to score. The plethora of substitutions seemed to spoil Town's flow as the game became a bit ragged although once piece of brilliance from Marcus harness was a joy to watch but on this occasion Bart pulled off a fantastic double save to keep the score respectable. the clean sheet again proved elusive as kevin Nisbett helped himself to a late consolation, but at least it wasn't another moment of slackness from Town, more of a decent finish this time.

The win and Leicester's inability to see off bottom side Sheffield Wednesday see's Town close the gap to a solitary point while Leeds & Southampton continue to chase as they both won. there is no doubt it is Leicester City who are feeling the heat right now and a win for Town Saturday could just see us top of the pile as the Foxes have a really tough game at West Bromwich Albion, and we all know how hard that is.

So it is Coventry City next up for a Town and it will be an improving Sky Blues side that come to Portman Road after back to back wins, much was expected from them in some quarters but they have really found the going tough so far and currently find themselves down in Fifteenth place with Twenty Two points from their Eighteen games, Eight away from the play off's and Nine from the drop zone so their season can go either way. They did however get a real stroke of luck in beating Plymouth Tuesday evening as the ball was clearly out before the cross came in which set up the winning goal, hopefully that is their luck used up for now.

In Godden up front they have a real good player who will be a handful for Town and he will need to be watched, such has been his performances that he is keeping one time Town target Ellis Simms out of the team with the big money signing having to be content with cameo's from the bench. This is a big game for Town as we then enter what many deem to be a possible season defining really tough spell against the likes of Norwich in the derby, Leicester City Twice, Middlesbrough and Leeds all on the horizon, but Town looked back to their best Wednesday and we can go toe to toe with any of them, but first it's Coventry City and a narrow home win for me, and dare I say it, "Top of the league at Portman Road" We can but dream. COYB'S

The Opposition – Coventry City FC Honours

League

Second Division / Championship
Champions: 1966–67

Third Division / League One
Champions: 1963–64, 2019–20

Third Division South
Champions: 1935–36
Runners-up: 1933–34

Fourth Division / League Two
Runners-up: 1958–59
Play-off winners: 2018

Cup

FA Cup
Winners: 1986–87

FA Charity Shield
Runners-up: 1987

EFL Trophy
Winners: 2016–17

Third Division South Cup
Winners: 1935–36

The Manager – Mark Robins

League Table as at 30.11.2023

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

4 Nov Birmingham City 2 - 2 Ipswich Town

7 Nov Rotherham 2 - 2 Ipswich Town

11 Nov Ipswich Town 3 - 2 Swansea City

25 Nov West Brom 2 - 0 Ipswich Town

29 Nov Ipswich Town 3 - 1 Millwall

Coventry City FC

30 Oct Coventry City 0 - 2 West Brom

4 Nov Preston 3 - 2 Coventry City

11 Nov Coventry City 0 - 0 Stoke City

25 Nov Millwall 0 - 3 Coventry City

28 Nov Coventry City 1 - 0 Plymouth

Head to Head

Match Referee – Andrew Kitchen

IPSWICH TOWN 2 COVENTRY CITY 1

Andym

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Coventry City FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:02 am

Gone for a win, but I think there will be changes or tired legs after Wednesday.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:30 pm

Excellent preview & nice build up to a big game......, and also forced me to go check the Coventry cross in......, yep, that is hopefully their luck used up as you say.

What a month ahead for attending Ipswich fans. It's going to be very entertaining and worth every penny. Extremely jealous. If there is a 6ft 8" ginger dude in the vicinity wearing a Coventry top, around 42 year old looking......, go for a pint with him. He's a good lad is my wee cuz. Well, feckin HUGE cuz, but a gentle giant and a good laugh. Born & bred in Coventry by the way, so he's Engerlish --->> But he's still a good laugh!! :D

5-0 Ipswich Town.

Caption:

Ref: "No more swearing at me, Mark."
Robins: "Feck You, Ref!"
Ref; "Ok, OFF. That was one gesture too far."

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:52 pm

Looking forward to being back at PR as haven't been since the Cardiff game. Suspect some changes but not too many as there is no game the following midweek. I think KM will chose:

Hladky

Williams
Burges
Woolfie
Davis

Morsy
Masimo

Burns
Chaplin
Broadhead

Hirst

Wouldn't be suprised to see Talyor come in for Mas, but not sure he will play Tuanzabe again after he played on Weds.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:49 am

Have at it a home game so goals going in left and right, we don't do things simple at Portman Road. Our defense is questionable while at the other end goals often come in abundance. Stands to reason another high scoring event could well come to pass.

Leicester got a tough test with WBA and we can take advantage to move back to top position. McKenna needs to emphasize to the players the opportunity here. We know what formation we'll deploy but probably stronger than the opponents in just about every area of the field. Bottom line we should win but make it tough for ourselves at the same time.

ITFC 3 Coventry City 2

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:28 am

shabba wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:52 pm
Looking forward to being back at PR as haven't been since the Cardiff game. Suspect some changes but not too many as there is no game the following midweek. I think KM will chose:

Hladky

Williams
Burges
Woolfie
Davis

Morsy
Masimo

Burns
Chaplin
Broadhead

Hirst

Wouldn't be suprised to see Talyor come in for Mas, but not sure he will play Tuanzabe again after he played on Weds.
I agree with this team although I would keep Tuanzebe in if at all possible.

Will be very interesting to see if Williams is in today though.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:04 pm

That's good to reads but don't believe all these minor knocks thing as being the reason he keeps being omitted.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:10 pm

shabba wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:52 pm

Hladky

Williams
Burges
Woolfie
Davis

Morsy
Masimo

Burns
Chaplin
Broadhead

Hirst

With Tuanzabe in for Woolfie that would be our strongest starting line up for sure, but with 8 games in December I’m sure there will be some rotation and full use of multiple substitutions to give key players maximum rest.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:15 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:04 pm
That's good to reads but don't believe all these minor knocks thing as being the reason he keeps being omitted.
I’d love to know what the hell is going on with Williams. Something is definitely not right but I’ve no idea what it is. It could be fitness, health. personal problems, family, disciple etc etc. Who the hell knows what it is but somethings not right for sure.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:34 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:15 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:04 pm
I’d love to know what the hell is going on with Williams. Something is definitely not right but I’ve no idea what it is. It could be fitness, health. personal problems, family, disciple etc etc. Who the hell knows what it is but somethings not right for sure.
McKenna comes into where I work. I asked him last night and he said "illness"

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:07 pm

Clarke keeps his place Williams on the bench, Leicester winning we need that to be a Draw 🙏

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:27 pm

FT West Brom 1 Leicester 2

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:38 pm

lucy wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:27 pm

That’s a bummer and screwed my PL prediction too !☹️

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:40 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:38 pm
lucy wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:27 pm

That’s a bummer and screwed my PL prediction too !☹️
5 points for me

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:08 pm

1-0 Hurst but Burns has gone down holding his Shoulder 😞

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:11 pm

Normal service has definitely been resumed. 👍⚽️👍

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:42 pm

Luongo 5th Booking so that's him missing the Middlesbrough game.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:42 pm

Woolfie not as solid at the back as Axel who it would appear McKenna will be using sparingly.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:43 pm

2-0 Burns Great Goal

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:45 pm

Didn't Burns get his head chopped off for trying something similar to that goal just now earlier in the season?

Come on Town, another goal and finish this game off

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:45 pm

OMG what a fantastic curling goal was that from Wes Burns hit with the outside of his right foot. 👍⚽️👏

Early days but must be a contender for “Goal of the Month”.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:47 pm

Bit of a game going on at Leeds!!

3-2 so far .

Come on Boro!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:55 pm

Pretty solid first half from the boys with two very good goals from Hirst and Burns.

As Alan Lee just said on Town TV it’s like being in dreamland.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:02 pm

Massimo reached 5th yellow cards, Morsy just two short of missing two games. This is a concern

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:04 pm

It's amazing how many great goals Town have scored this season, and long may it last.👏👏

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:16 pm

Steve wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:02 pm
Massimo reached 5th yellow cards, Morsy just two short of missing two games. This is a concern
Does this mean Luongo receives a one match ban ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:16 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:16 pm
Steve wrote:
Just heard yes ☹️

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:18 pm

I wish Woolfie wouldn’t keep giving possession away. He’s a bloody liability at time.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:29 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Charnwood wrote:
Steve wrote:
Just heard yes ☹️
Yes it does. I think with Taylor we can handle one of either Morsy or Massimo suspended but still is concerning

After a strong restart from Coventry. Ipswich do seem back in control. Just wanting that other goal for us to hopefully finish this game off