Championship - Ipswich Town vs Coventry City FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A Chance to go top?

Ipswich Win
93%
Coventry Win
No votes
Draw
7%

Total votes: 14

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Coventry City FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:32 pm

Steve wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:29 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:16 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Does this mean Luongo receives a one match ban ?
Just heard yes ☹️
Yes it does. I think with Taylor we can handle one of either Morsy or Massimo suspended but still is concerning

After a strong restart from Coventry. Ipswich do seem back in control. Just wanting that other goal for us to hopefully finish this game off
The next goal is crucial. Score and it’s game over, concede and it’s real pressure time.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:33 pm

Anfernee Dijksteel of Middlesbrough received second yellow card so will miss next game against us

Easier to type than pronounce I must say

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:33 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:32 pm
Steve wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:29 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Just heard yes ☹️
Yes it does. I think with Taylor we can handle one of either Morsy or Massimo suspended but still is concerning

After a strong restart from Coventry. Ipswich do seem back in control. Just wanting that other goal for us to hopefully finish this game off
The next goal is crucial. Score and it’s game over, concede and it’s real pressure time.
Coventry look like scoring more than we do

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:34 pm

Penalty to Coventry

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:35 pm

:lol: :lol: Smack against the Post

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:35 pm

Great, Clark jumps in and now pen, Why do that. Just don't jump in, stand your ground

But luckily MISSED, hits the crossbar.. Learn from that Harry Clark

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:37 pm

What a let off that was. A bit of Leicester City luck.🍀

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:38 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:37 pm
What a let off that was.
Almost good as a goal for us, yes what a left off.. pheeeew

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:38 pm

Brandon Williams is coming on

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:08 pm

That 2nd half was hard listening. Penalty, ball in net twice both disallowed. Are we using up all our luck??
Donacien on the mend - time for him to step up again? Good defender as well as going forward. Clark and Williams both good but still need rounding off

But great win Town. Fearful for rest of month

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:09 pm

lucy wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:38 pm
… booked and an own goal 🤔☹️

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:09 pm

That 2nd half was tough to watch

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:10 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:09 pm
lucy wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:38 pm
… booked and an own goal 🤔☹️
🤣 he wanted to make a comeback

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:10 pm

And to top it all Williams OG should have kept Clarke on :lol: :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:21 pm

A shame we couldn’t keep that elusive clean sheet but for me the goal should have been disallowed for a foul on Brandon Williams.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:26 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:21 pm
A shame we couldn’t keep that elusive clean sheet but for me the goal should have been disallowed for a foul on Brandon Williams.
How was that goal given? I mean come on, such a clear foul. Good job didn't effect the game but all these silly goals we conced can mount up against us if this season goes down to goals difference

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:55 pm

Coke one today! cov fans have hair team good support, but a brilliant first half from us - could have been 3 or 4 up.

Second half was too slow and too deep on our half, we struggled to get out even if Coventry looked blunt in the final third. We tried to control the game but it was too deep and we spent so much of it passing around at the back without being able to beat the press, again we struggled to get the front players involved and the subs had little impact as we didn’t get them on the ball enough.

Still, good to get the win as such tough games ahead!m this month.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:34 pm

I think we take our foot off the gas once we get to 2 goals up …. We then try to “ manage” the game.. …. But the whole of the 2nd half ??? We give ourselves these problems IMHO… and once again we conceded a goal from the right dude of defence . Every week we do this!

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:36 pm

Just saw the highlights, good Lord what a goal by Burns!

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:54 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:34 pm
I think we take our foot off the gas once we get to 2 goals up …. We then try to “ manage” the game.. …. But the whole of the 2nd half ??? We give ourselves these problems IMHO… and once again we conceded a goal from the right dude of defence . Every week we do this!
I agree. We don’t seem to know whether to stack ur defend. We ended up so deep we were bound to concede - even though the own goal looked like a foul to me.
An excellent first half. A well taken first goal and a superb second. And 17 points off 7th place at the start of December.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:56 pm

Just read this from his post match interview…which expalins things a bit I think..

Second half, we knew they would make changes, they’d got really good forward players on the bench.

“We knew they would change things tactically. They’re possibly the best counter-attacking team in the league, so you don’t want an open game against them when you’re 2-0 up. We had to control the game with the ball.

“Certainly we could have got higher up the pitch. I thought our intent to control it with the ball was pretty good, but we didn’t utilise the spare man to get us higher up the pitch and control the game in their half enough, so too much of our circulation was in deep areas and then you’re never too far from your own goal.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:55 am

only three goals at Portman Road seems maybe disappointing. We're used to 5 or 6 each game, only got half the usual entertainment this time but the win was all important, viewed highlights once and still not able to fully comprehend how Williams managed to get the ball into his own goal from the position he were in but by that time any victory was just about secure. Burns is no Roberto Carlos but credit where it's due it won us the game and he's often a useful addition to the squad. We got off to a perfect start after 5 minutes, kind of made the opposition doubt themselves after that.

near 30,000 represented a fine crowd, years back at this stage of a season we'd have nowhere near that under previous managers but McKennas have proved a difference and the contrast between then and now is something extraordinary. Too bad nearest challengers picked up wins also but you got to sometimes focus on own objectives, not overly concern about what others get up to.

There's a clear gap between 2nd position to 3rd that remains, the simple math here is, if we continue to win and repeat three points often enough, the team really should get an automatic promotion. 41 goals from 19 played is highly commendable. We stlll (however) concede more than we should.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:26 am

Another game ticked off and another Three points which keeps the gap to Leeds the same. We said after the West Brom defeat that we had Two tricky but winnable home games coning up and should we win them all would be forgotten, mission accomplished.

I thought we were very good in the first half and looked well worth a 3 or 4 goal lead, we had to settle for Two courtesy of a typical George Hirst finish which he does so well and an absolute screamer from a rejuvenated Wes Burns who is back to his best in the last couple of games.

Nathan Broadhead should really have made it Three but failed to convert when through on goal, other chances came and went but Hladky was not overly troubled at the other end, they did have the ball in the net but it was well offside.

The second half was a different kettle of fish as the Coventry changes seemed to invigorate them while we as others have said tried to manage the game by sitting in a bit and dropping deep, it invited pressure and gave them impetus. It looked like they were getting back into it when Harry Clarke gave away a needless penalty but thankfully Godden smashed it against the bar, that aside Clarke did ok.

We still posed a threat at times and half chances kept coming and going, typically we fail again to get the clean sheet but come on, how the hell was that not a foul on Williams by Ellis, anywhere else and the ref blows.

Coventry had been finding a bit of form in recent games so it was no easy game but once again we come through the test, 17 home wins in 18 games, has that ever been matched by anyone anywhere ? I doubt it.

The imperious Sam Morsy was outstanding again and his sidekick Luongo not far behind, sadly I believe his yellow rules him out of the Middlesbrough game so a chance for someone else to step up. Wes Burns was excellent again and what a goal, Hladky so so solid when called upon and when the ball is at his feet he is so composed and has to be the best in the division in that respect.

It was crucial to win those Two games as the real test starts now and by the time January comes around we'll have a better idea of just how realistic the top Two is, but let's not forget everyone else has tough games too and won't be winning every week either. It's in our hands. COYB'S

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:41 am

I have to say it looks like Mike and myself were wrong about Hirst he is doing the job KMc wants him to do, I notice the times he is offside and the fact that he doesn't control the ball very well and misses chances but he sure knows what to do when one on one, however I do feel for Freddie who would score more goals than Hirst but I guess it's not needed with everyone else getting them, I think Freddie will be sold in the January window and maybe JD that's assuming Williams is still here.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:22 pm

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:26 pm

My goodness, that is an absolute peach.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:17 pm

The ball from Chaplin to Davis which opened up the pitch was sublime too.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:47 pm

We did that move ( of sucking them into our right defensive corner and then whipping the ball out quickly into aches of space on the left ), two or three times in the game. Lots of practice in training to perfect that I think 👍

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:51 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:26 pm
My goodness, that is an absolute peach.
If that was a golf ball strike you would call it a slice the way that spun left to right using the outside of the right toe boot, loved it :D :D
Also, that own goal by Brandon was a definite push in the back and should have been ruled out :(.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:53 pm

Great photo …if it comes out on here….

https://twitter.com/Stuart_Watson/statu ... -been-here