Woolfy

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Woolfy

Post by number 9 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:12 am

Is it fair to say Woolfy has been a regular starter because the leadership wants to promote homegrown talent? If that is the case, why isn’t Baggott given the same opportunity?

shabba

Re: Woolfy

Post by shabba » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:36 am

No it’s because he is a class defender, he gets some flack as his playing style is laid back but look at the way he reads the game, makes good interceptions, had a turn of pace, and crucially got KM and alot of managers - he is comfortable on the ball.

Let’s be honest KM knows 1000x what we do about football and if he rates him then I won’t question it.

In my view it had zero to do with home grown, otherwise Clarke wouldn’t haven been replaced by a loan player, HUMPHREYS has been at the club way longer than Baggot and doesn’t get game time etc.

Non starter of a conversation for me sorry

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:19 am

shabba wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:36 am
No it’s because he is a class defender, he gets some flack as his playing style is laid back but look at the way he reads the game, makes good interceptions, had a turn of pace, and crucially got KM and alot of managers - he is comfortable on the ball.

Let’s be honest KM knows 1000x what we do about football and if he rates him then I won’t question it.

In my view it had zero to do with home grown, otherwise Clarke wouldn’t haven been replaced by a loan player, HUMPHREYS has been at the club way longer than Baggot and doesn’t get game time etc.

To think Cook left him in the reserves. Reckon he's still young enough to improve. We have the right coaching.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:25 am

I have taken to looking at rival teams forums just before and after we play them to get their fans views on us, it is fair to say lots of opposition fans see Woolfy as a decent player.

Quite a compliment on the Sunderland forum where they have a whole thread entitled Ipswich, most of them feel we are the real deal.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:13 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:25 am
I have taken to looking at rival teams forums just before and after we play them to get their fans views on us, it is fair to say lots of opposition fans see Woolfy as a decent player.

Quite a compliment on the Sunderland forum where they have a whole thread entitled Ipswich, most of them feel we are the real deal.
I'm getting perilously close to believing that.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:41 am

shabba wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:36 am

I am not saying Woolfy doesn't deserve to start. KM knows exactly what he's doing, but I'd still like to see Baggott as part of the rotation of our defenders. He's proven he's good enough to start. Good point about Humphreys...he's kind of disappeared of late. I don't really consider Clarke a homegrown talent. Sure he spent some time here in the youth set up, but he's been molded into the player he is at Arsenal.

Woofy has done very well. In fact, I have defended him when others criticized. It would'nt hurt to give him rest from time to time. I suppose at the moment Tuanzebe is that relief, but if a defender goes down I hope Baggott will be available.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:01 pm

Baggott is definitely good enough and ready in my opinion, has been for some time.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:35 pm

Wolfenden 25yo and 230 professional appearances, Baggott 21yo and 40 professional appearances... I think that's pretty much it. To rely on a inexperienced 21 year old at this level is quite a big thing.

I'm not saying Baggott's not good enough, but he'd have to be exceptional to trump the other experienced and proven pros above him. If it were me, I'd have had him loaned to play in league 1 this season with the option to recall him. He's obviously held in high regard and must be happy with the plan, which I imagine is 'you can play in the cup games and you may get an opportunity to fight your way in to the first team'.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:53 pm

Well, Burgess will be on International duty for Australia come Jan and Luongo as well, so there will be a gap for Axel in defence, as for the midfield it is more or less take your pick from the bunch we have but Humphries could get a chance.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:29 pm

I like Woolfie and think he’s still in development and will continue to improve. My biggest concern is the number of times he gives possession away unnecessarily and I’m not sure if it’s his too casual style or lack of concentration. Whatever it is hopefully McKenna will be able to coach it out of him.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:24 pm

That’s the flaw in his play ( amongst other which me n Mike were chatting about today at the game. He had improved a lot. But there’s always a mistake in his game that costs us at some point.

It’s less frequent but it’s still there, and at 25yrs he’s not a youngster now and with those number of appearances, neither is he inexperienced. We do need better I’m afraid but he’s a decent back and I think that’s what he’ll end up being.