Walton

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Shed on tour

Walton

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:46 pm

Obviously things can change quickly in football, whether it be injury or loss of form but at this moment in time Hladky certainly appears to be out number 1 choice in goal. His distribution certainly seems to suit our style of play of playing out from the back probably more so than Walton.
If this continues for the rest of the season then it will be interesting to see what happens next summer regarding Walton. I can’t see him wanting to be a back up keeper long term and wouldn’t be surprised if he looked for a move elsewhere to obtain first team football.
Thoughts?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Walton

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:55 pm

Funnily enough we were talking about this yesterday and tbh I would be happy to see him move on in January should we need to free up space for incoming signings, Hladky is undoubtedly the Number One especially given the way we play, Walton is all over the place with ball at feet, I also don't think Slicker came here to not even be on the bench, he's supposed to be a good keeper in his own right so for me losing Walton wouldn't be an issue.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:20 pm

For me its testimony that the gulf between L1 & the Champ is sizeable. Because if you go back 12-18 months on this very forum, Christian Walton was walking on water. Easily considered the best player @ the club behind Sam Morsy.

Having said that, got to hope Hanky stays injury free for December & remainder of the season, because Walton will definitely be “rusty” if spontaneously called upon.
Slicker? Don’t think anyone knows do they? Has he played a game yet? Thinking maybe a League Cup game?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:30 pm

I was heavily criticised on twtd ( no shock there I know) for suggesting that Walton might want to move in in January since he seems unlikely to get that jersey back anytime soon and might not want to bench warm. He definitely doesn’t fit our style of play anymore. I wouldnt. be concerned if he left tbh….

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:30 am

Walton was one of the stars of the team during the promotion season last time out. Proved himself time and again, easily one of the very best outside the top two divisions. Step up to Championship level was always going to be tougher no matter who we placed in goal but Vaclav has performed admirably for the most part. No keeper is without error and Hladky has had his moments, we've conceded a few goals already since August and Vaclav must have featured for a large part of them.

To quote another response it seems feasible Walton would wish to go elsewhere if he can't get back in the first team. Just seems a question of time and tolerance of the player involved. Snicker hasn't seem to have started a first team game while Nicky Hayes was loaned out someplace. The only way Walton will regain his regular place is when or if Vaclav ranks up a number of poor constant performances that set back our promotion drive / ends up on an injury roster for example.