Championship - Ipswich Town vs Norwich City FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Local Derby Time

Good Guys Win
88%
The Dark Side Win
No votes
Close But No Cigar
13%

Total votes: 16

number 9

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Norwich City FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:50 am

Is it ok if we call Norwich, fuckin dastards? Yes I meant to use a ‘d’ just making sure that’s ok with the pc police? :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:59 am

Gave in to curiosity, took in a view of the Pink Un' forum page. There's like 2 or 3 ongoing subject pieces about how the most important thing from the event was not losing / keeping the unbeaten run intact etc. They're essentially like pigs in sh*t with the score. Not about the game, just avoiding defeat and we still couldn't beat them after so many years. Could be the biggest result for them since winning some p*ss-ant competition with an own goal years back no-one can recall or even care about. It's bizarre if not tragic.

All it would have taken to win and beat those pricks was some extra luck to come our way or convert the many chances provided particularly first-half. Couldn't image the reaction had we indeed been defeated but once again we're far more likely to see a promotion than those. Wagner may or will be fired before end of season while so long as McKenna remains in charge here we're easily going in the right direction. Had their fun from the game, moment of glory or however you want to label it, but you got to ask the question, who's going to be laughing by end of season. Fans there would do well to take note.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:19 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:19 pm
He was consistently good in the first half and consistently poor in the second half. He failed to deal with a number of cynical tackles ((2 leading up to their first goal). That meant that when he started to book people (well our player - Burns), it was for a tackle that was far less serious than many that had preceded it. How is that consistent? For me however, he was better than the so called 'assistant referees' who (as they always are) were shockingly poor and failed to notice infringements right under their noses. Just what is the point of these cretins?
Absolutely spot on, quite how anyone can think a ref who ultimately influenced the result with his weak decision making was good is beyond me quite frankly, he gave us very little all game, as you say Two ridiculous tackles went unpunished in the build up to their first goal and even Stevie Wonder could see it was offside!

Yes Morsy got lucky with his tackle but its irrelevant, it didn't influence this game at all, we drew because Broadhead couldn't finish his sitters and the useless ref couldn't get decisions right.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:33 am

Just one of those days, time to move on, Leeds on Saturday to look forward to.

Got another chance to stuff them later on.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:54 am

Going to disagree with you on Davies, Valley ….. and i’ll no doubt go make a specsavers app……. But Rowe is offside on his knees ahead of Davies. No Sky Line required.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:20 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:50 am
Is it ok if we call Norwich, fuckin dastards? Yes I meant to use a ‘d’ just making sure that’s ok with the pc police? :lol:
:lol: Yes……. Things are just a tad too nice at times on here. 🤦‍♂️
I’d like to say all profanities allowed for derby matches, the most scathing the better, ….. but…… Frosty made me a moderator. And i cant say that.

But i suppose like Valley & Mauz say……. We need to move on and forget all about the Norwich bstds offside goals etc etc.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:29 pm

I guess it's all about opinions, but I stand by my opinion of the refereeing performance yesterday. He could've booked Morsy early on and to suggest that there was bias in the decisions made is incorrect. Indeed Harry Clarke was unlucky not to see a yellow, after getting involved with something which wasn't his battle when pushing a Norwich player following a challenge by another town player. I don't want to see the type of game where the whistle is being blown every few minutes. There could've possibly been more yellows, more fouls given but in my opinion that would have taken the edge off a fairly decent game.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:47 pm

You are missing the point, I would have had no issue with Clarke or Morsy or anyone else getting booked but those things didn't influence the result, his other decisions which mostly favoured the SCUM influenced the outcome, no question about it.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:47 pm
You are missing the point, I would have had no issue with Clarke or Morsy or anyone else getting booked but those things didn't influence the result, his other decisions which mostly favoured the SCUM influenced the outcome, no question about it.
:lol:

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:17 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:54 am
Going to disagree with you on Davies, Valley ….. and i’ll no doubt go make a specsavers app……. But Rowe is offside on his knees ahead of Davies. No Sky Line required.
Specsavers for you mate :). I had a look again this morning and there is even an Ipswich player in the 6 yard box who's back foot looks like it may be playing him on. The linesman is bang in line with it and looking right along the line as the ball is played. He looks to ME like he is behind the ball but its all opinions and its very tight call. He is not MILES offside as being said by others IMO.

AND AND AND with as tight a decision as this being banged on about it is WHY WE HAVE VAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never mind onto Leeds and 3 points hopefully

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:44 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:17 pm
marko69 wrote:
Specsavers for you mate :). I had a look again this morning and there is even an Ipswich player in the 6 yard box who's back foot looks like it may be playing him on. The linesman is bang in line with it and looking right along the line as the ball is played. He looks to ME like he is behind the ball but its all opinions and its very tight call. He is not MILES offside as being said by others IMO.

AND AND AND with as tight a decision as this being banged on about it is WHY WE HAVE VAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will you please stop forcing me to go watch this again. :lol:
I’ll need to go look at the Old Etonians football rule book…… been misunderstanding the offside rule all these years.
Come on, Valley……. He’s offside. 🤷‍♂️ Its plain as day.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:48 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:29 pm
I guess it's all about opinions, but I stand by my opinion of the refereeing performance yesterday. He could've booked Morsy early on and to suggest that there was bias in the decisions made is incorrect. Indeed Harry Clarke was unlucky not to see a yellow, after getting involved with something which wasn't his battle when pushing a Norwich player following a challenge by another town player. I don't want to see the type of game where the whistle is being blown every few minutes. There could've possibly been more yellows, more fouls given but in my opinion that would have taken the edge off a fairly decent game.
It is fine lines, but you end up with what another poster has suggested……. Bookings later in the game that are hardly fouls.
But i do agree…… whistle happy refs are annoying

……. But the last “but” is this…….. its NOT consistent refereeing. Its the opposite really.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:31 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:44 pm
valleyroad wrote:
marko69 wrote:

I’ll need to go look at the Old Etonians football rule book…… been misunderstanding the offside rule all these years.
Good result for Hearts yesterday eh ???

Montgomery ??

Heard Lee Johnson is going to be sacked soon from Fleetwood player :)

I thought you could post images up to this site but seems not ??

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:39 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:48 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
It is fine lines, but you end up with what another poster has suggested……. Bookings later in the game that are hardly fouls.

……. But the last “but” is this…….. its NOT consistent refereeing. Its the opposite really.
When I refereed, supervisors always pulled me up for an early booking. Hated it. Its a fine line, sometimes it works other times it back fires.
Derby games are always refereed different. Referees will try to man manage and keep cards in their pocket for first 20 mins and let the game play out but sometimes it backfires.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:03 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:31 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:44 pm
valleyroad wrote:

Good result for Hearts yesterday eh ???

Montgomery ??

Heard Lee Johnson is going to be sacked soon from Fleetwood player :)

I thought you could post images up to this site but seems not ??
You’ve completely lost me with this post. Hearts winning at Parkhead and Hibs losing in Perth along with some news about Lee Johnson has got something to do with Rowe @ PR being offside? 🤔🤷‍♂️
Enlighten us please?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:15 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:39 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:48 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:

When I refereed, supervisors always pulled me up for an early booking. Hated it. Its a fine line, sometimes it works other times it back fires.
Derby games are always refereed different. Referees will try to man manage and keep cards in their pocket for first 20 mins and let the game play out but sometimes it backfires.
Back in the day……. In Scotland anyway, whether it be Old Firm or Edinburgh derby, CLEAR warnings were dished out, often with gestures by the ref that he was not going to tolerate any shenanigans. In the faces of players, fingers pointing…….. Was very clear indeed.
But as time has moved on, the old school refs have disappeared and you’ve got refs with zero authority. The matchday reviews prove this with referees looking like they’re still in High School. The players “knew the score” back in the day. Today, not so.
I’d go as far to say that a high percentage of penalties given today; refs of yesteryear would book for diving. And thats WITHOUT 40 different angles.
Its all a farce. Like yesterday with Norwich Citys first goal. Clearly offside. Yet it stood. 🤷‍♂️

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:40 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:59 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:48 pm
Just seen a photo of their first goal : it’s MILES offside ffs, absolutely bloody miles offside.
Speak to assistant referee not referee.
You need a photo ? Angles etc ??
I saw sky drew a line and it looked close.
Anyway its split second decision, actually the blink of a human eye ?
This type of stuff is why we have VAR, great eh ??
Freeze frames, frame by frame, multiple camera angles. The human being gets the blink of an eye.
Btw i don't regard anyone fron Norwich as scum for supporting a football team. Rivarly is one thing but this is the wrong side of the line ??
All a sideshow. Ipswich never beat Norwich because they failed to defend the box twice and missed gilt edged chances. Forget anything else and move onto winning at Leeds
In the photo I’ve got of that “ goal”… the linesman’s not even in the photo … ( I can’t post the photo - never can post pictures on here for some reason)…. so he’s not up with play or line with the last man. So much fur decent officials. It also shows Woolfie totally oblivious to Rowe behind him. He’s ball watch and “ marking” fresh air as per usual. He’s not good enough at this level.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:54 pm

Referee's try to keep cards in their pockets for the first 20 minutes? That says it all, if its a bookable offence its a bookable offence no matter when it occurs so there is absolutely no logic to that statement, you get a card out to punish a punishable offence whenever it happens.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:27 pm

When all is said and done, it doesn't matter if their goal was offside or not (I didn't think it was, actually), and it doesn't matter KM saying we dominated the game. We didn't finish well enough and we continue to bleed stupid goals. But at the end of the day, we're still having a bloody good season. Move on.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:22 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:27 pm
When all is said and done, it doesn't matter if their goal was offside or not (I didn't think it was, actually), and it doesn't matter KM saying we dominated the game. We didn't finish well enough and we continue to bleed stupid goals. But at the end of the day, we're still having a bloody good season. Move on.
Agreed.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:20 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:40 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:59 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:48 pm
Just seen a photo of their first goal : it’s MILES offside ffs, absolutely bloody miles offside.
Speak to assistant referee not referee.
You need a photo ? Angles etc ??
I saw sky drew a line and it looked close.
Anyway its split second decision, actually the blink of a human eye ?
This type of stuff is why we have VAR, great eh ??
Freeze frames, frame by frame, multiple camera angles. The human being gets the blink of an eye.
Btw i don't regard anyone fron Norwich as scum for supporting a football team. Rivarly is one thing but this is the wrong side of the line ??
All a sideshow. Ipswich never beat Norwich because they failed to defend the box twice and missed gilt edged chances. Forget anything else and move onto winning at Leeds
In the photo I’ve got of that “ goal”… the linesman’s not even in the photo … ( I can’t post the photo - never can post pictures on here for some reason)…. so he’s not up with play or line with the last man. So much fur decent officials. It also shows Woolfie totally oblivious to Rowe behind him. He’s ball watch and “ marking” fresh air as per usual. He’s not good enough at this level.
You are right there Liz it's Tuanzebe with Burgess at Leeds and Williams back as well

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:16 am

I think he’ll play Axel & Brandon at Leeds although Harry Clarke would count himself very unlucky if he does make way for Williams as he had a very good game against Norwich.

As much as I like Woolfie yes he was found marking space, the problem is he try’s to mark the man without following the ball and has no idea where it is. He also prevaricates on the ball and slows down play when playing out from the back which gives the opposition time to close players down. Yes he has loads of passion but hasn’t improved this season in the same way Burgess and a few others have.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:20 am

If we’re going to take points from Leeds and Leicester over Christmas our goal scorers will need to be more clinical than they were on Saturday and not just Broadhead.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:35 pm

Yip, agree with you on that one…

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:23 pm

Nudge fans are claiming “ 14 years of total domination” over us -

Well Karl Fuller ( EADT columnist), puts that little claim into perspective….

“Let them have their 14 years to fall back on. By the way, in 64% of those years, we have not even played each other. Plenty of hollow moments to enjoy there then”.

Like everything else associated with that tin pot club, this is yet another “ claim” to something they HAVENT achieved! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:55 pm

Thought they didn't like history ? Scum arseholes,

As for 14, isn't that the age they like their wives

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:07 am

I can only imagine what is must be like for Norwich fans in the winter time. Six or four fingered gloves have got to be hard to come by. I did hear there’s a company in south Yorkshire manufacturing gloves with extra thumbs in addition to the normal one thumb variety. Stay warm my yellow foes, it won’t be too long before the scum thaws on Norfolk’s ponds of inadequacy and you can all sink back into your wretched holes. COYB!!!!