Championship - Ipswich Town vs Norwich City FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Local Derby Time

Good Guys Win
88%
The Dark Side Win
No votes
Close But No Cigar
13%

Total votes: 16

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Ipswich Town vs Norwich City FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:51 am

Image Ipswich Town v NorwichImage

Saturday 16th December 2023 – 12:30

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Frosty

Just a fun fact which I read on the BBC earlier when I was reading the Leicester/Millwall match report:

A 17th win of the season also means the Foxes are the joint-quickest side to reach 50 points in a Championship season, tying with Ipswich, who had reached the landmark in their 21st game.

There have been comments on the forum (with much merit) about the Leeds and Leicester fixtures that follow being more important in the context of a promotion push, but for me, the games against the budgies are always going to be the highlight of my season.

It’s strange as I have sadly never been able to attend in person our local derby, but even from 11500 miles away its still a fixture that I really look forward to with excitement when it approaches. It is one of the top 3 things I want to achieve on my ‘bucket list’ before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

The reality is for the past 14 years the Championship matches have been full of drama, what ifs, tight contests, but at best an honourable draw, or far too commonly, defeat to Norwich.

Painful reading but below ………… the results going back to 2010.

11/02/19 CHA Norwich City 3 - 0 Ipswich Town

02/09/18 CHA Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Norwich City

19/02/18 CHA Norwich City 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

23/10/17 CHA Ipswich Town 0-1 Norwich City

27/02/17 CHA Norwich City 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

21/08/16 CHA Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Norwich City

16/05/15 CHA Norwich City 3 - 1 Ipswich Town

09/05/15 CHA Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Norwich City

02/03/15 CHA Norwich City 2 - 0 Ipswich Town

23/08/14 CHA Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Norwich City

22/04/11 CHA Ipswich Town 1 - 5 Norwich City

29/11/10 CHA Norwich City 4 - 1 Ipswich Town

We maybe 20 points ahead of them on the table and based on form the better side, but we all know that you can throw the stats out the window when it comes to this fixture.

Overall for the season Norwich are a really mixed bag, 9 wins / 3 draws / 9 losses, which is fantastic if you are aiming for a mid-table finish. They have undoubtably had improved results recently, but Cardiff aside, the have been against lower placed sides.

Forgetting the rivalry, this should be a 3 point target regardless and I would prefer to play 1st and 3rd either side of Christmas having gone 5 wins on the trot. As we all know confidence is a fragile thing.

For those of you who are attending on Saturday (I am bloody jealous), but enjoy the moment, its going to be special, and I really think we can win! COYB’s!!!!!!!

The Opposition – Norwich City - Honours

League

Second Division / Championship
Champions (5): 1971–72, 1985–86, 2003–04, 2018–19, 2020–21
Runners-up: 2010–11
Play-off winners: 2015

Third Division South / League One
Champions (2): 1933–34, 2009–10
Runners-up: 1959–60

Cup

Football League Cup
Winners (2): 1961–62, 1984–85
Runners-up: 1972–73, 1974–75

The Manager – David Wagner

League Table as at 14.12.2023

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

25 Nov West Brom 2 - 0 Ipswich Town

29 Nov Ipswich Town 3 - 1 Millwall

2 Dec Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Coventry City

9 Dec Middlesbrough 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

12 Dec Watford 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

Norwich City

25 Nov Norwich City 1 - 0 QP Rangers

28 Nov Watford 3 - 2 Norwich City

3 Dec Bristol City 1 - 2 Norwich City

9 Dec Norwich City 0 - 0 Preston

13 Dec Norwich City 3 - 1 Sheffield Wed

Head to Head

Match Referee – Josh Smith

IPSWICH TOWN 1 NORWICH CITY 0

Dubai Blue

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Norwich City FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:15 am

Nice preview and those results paint a very sorry picture of the recent past. Also didn't realise how close the mid table positions are with the Budgies actually having a possibility (albeit slim) of taking up a playoff place if they beat us.

Can't see anything but a comfortable win tbh. We don't have too many local lads in our team and a highly professional approach these days so I think the squads 'one game at a time' attitude should see us home, possibly during the first half.

3-0 to us with the Budgies finishing the game with 10 men.

By the way, anyone have a spare ticket or a late cancellation? I'll double the ticket price with pleasure. Would be a shame to come all the way from Dubai just to watch the game in an Ipswich pub :-) (Yeah ok, I didn't come only for the game :-) ).

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:01 am

Gone for a draw. Everything points towards this being our time but would not be surprised if the football gods decide otherwise.
Please, please Town prove me wrong and make it our time.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:44 pm

Bunch of tosses ….

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:18 pm

Where do the TB.Com crew usually hang out before the game? Even if I don't get a ticket I'll likely come down anyway and hope to pick something up outside. Would be cool to meetup.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:58 pm

Nice one Frosty, and thats more than just a fun fact……. That is awesome stuff.

This team has actually done so well since “The Gas” game that i’m beginning to think we should be thanking those fans who gave Morsy & Co some stick. Its like the anger struck a chord with the entire squad. Normally i’d say those types of fans are tw@ts, but in this case ——>> well done, tw@ts. 👍💪👏👏👏👏👏

Totally 100% understand where Shed is coming from………, derbies are so unpredictable, (except with Hibs where they’re always humped) …. But got to believe the edge is with Ipswich. (No Saint, not the U2 guitarist) …… although i do think come 2:30pm Saturday, Ipswich will have found what they’re looking for.

Predicted 2-0 in the PL game……. Stick with that. Chappers seems the type who will relish the massive occasion…….. him for a goal and an assist. 👍👌💙

Caption:

Wagner (looking smug) : “I got two spare tickets.”
Ref: “FFS wags, call Dubai, its nearly KO time.”

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:35 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:58 pm

Caption:

Wagner (looking smug) : “I got two spare tickets.”
Ref: “FFS wags, call Dubai, its nearly KO time.”
:D :D :D Nice one!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:08 am

I’m hoping Clarke & Woolfy sit this one out. The canaries will have done their homework on the weakest links. I fear Morsy may pick up that final yellow…the sh*t birds will be after him.

Play our game and maintain composure and we’ll win. I’m thinking it will be a high scoring match with us winning.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:34 am

Gone for a win but derbies are notoriously unpredictable. Hopefully McKenna can calm the plates to treat it as just another match - and we take them apart.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:26 am

I'm going for a repeat of last season's Exeter win.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:43 am

Thanks for filling in Frosty, the jobs yours. My plans are in place for the quick dash back from Southampton in the morning, just can't miss this one, just praying the roads are kind.

I think this is going to be a lot lot harder than many Town fans think, yes I've gone for a Town win but wouldn't be at all surprised if it ends up Honours even. Again this game defines nothing and tbh I'd rather win against Leeds and Leicester than this game, its all about the end goal for the season, that said, let's smash the inbred fuckers. COYB'S

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:55 pm

I really don't know how to call this one! You listen to comments from both sets of fans and, dangerously so, Ipswich have won this handsomely before a ball is kicked!!
Living in Norfolk among many Norwich fans, there seems to have been a real fear factor about this game for months now right across the board! This has only heightened with the long term injuries, Josh Sargent in particular! Norwich are capable of scoring and I don't see a clean sheet for us. All the Norwich fans point to their leaky defence as the big concern against a free scoring Ipswich.
On a slightly different matter, what makes the local derby is all the anticipation. The media are taking in all angles and I see Paul Lambert, having managed both clubs, has had his say. He commented about his fracas at Carrow Road as an event he "100% manufactured"! Of course no interview with him would be complete with one quote, and he didn't disappoint with "“I played with massive clubs – in Glasgow (Celtic), Dortmund – and people love me there"! Dear oh dear!
I have gone for a 4-2 win in the prediction league, but I've had 2 separate dream about it! The first one we scored within the first minute, but somehow the game played out as a dull 0-0 draw. The other dream was a 2-2!!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:24 pm

Hope no-one thinks we'll steamroll them and pick up a performance and win like 1998 because it ain't gonna happen. Places and form in the league is immaterial, it's a derby game, we haven't won against them for like 12 or 13 years and they must have something of a psychological edge over us. It'll be tough and home or not, there's every chance they could take something from the trip.

Not pleasing so say, (and) I wish to beat those bastards as much as the next - we've waited long enough for it - but you got to add some rationality to the issue and weigh up what to feasibly expect out of it. Worst thing we can do is be complacent and imagine victory before the damn thing's even underway, it's a dangerous if misled philosophy and we should really approach it with some level of caution, maybe even add respect in to it, but going too far now in awarding them plaudits. Just want that elusive win and finally to get victory over them. Put it another way, they won't want to lose, keep the unbeaten run intact etc.

If we play like we can, keep focus on defense and really have the desire to do it then three points should come our way. Really, it's about whoever wants it more when the time arises. It's our time to do it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:25 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:55 pm
The first one we scored within the first minute, but somehow the game played out as a dull 0-0 draw.
Is that VAR chopping goals off in your dreams now, Azz?

And Lambo ——->> GTF. Tw@t.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:18 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:25 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:55 pm
The first one we scored within the first minute, but somehow the game played out as a dull 0-0 draw.
Is that VAR chopping goals off in your dreams now, Azz?

And Lambo ——->> GTF. Tw@t.
You know what dreams are like Marko! But VAR? That'd have to be classed as a nightmare!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:22 pm

It’s now less than 15hrs to kick off of our first local derby v Norwich since 2019 and you have to go back 13 meetings to April 2009 to find our last win, 3-2 at Portman Road.
I’m sure you will all like me be looking forward to this game with huge expectation but maybe a slight fear of disappointment after such a brilliant start to the current campaign which as Frosty said in his comments includes setting a new Championship record for the number of points scored in the first 20 games of any season. My prediction for tomorrow is a hard fought win, Town 3 -2 Norwich and Morsy to avoid picking up a yellow card. This would keep the momentum and confidence on track and set us up nicely for the up and coming fixtures against Leeds United and Leicester City.

COYB’s ⚽️💙👍

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:37 am

Tram is fairly nailed on IMO

Hladky

Clarke
Burges
Woolfie
Davis

Morsy
Luongo

Broadhead
Chaplin
Burns

Hirst

Subs will again be important, Omari etc.

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:43 am

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:22 pm
It’s now less than 15hrs to kick off of our first local derby v Norwich since 2019 and you have to go back 13 meetings to April 2009 to find our last win, 3-2 at Portman Road.
I’m sure you will all like me be looking forward to this game with huge expectation but maybe a slight fear of disappointment after such a brilliant start to the current campaign which as Frosty said in his comments includes setting a new Championship record for the number of points scored in the first 20 games of any season. My prediction for tomorrow is a hard fought win, Town 3 -2 Norwich and Morsy to avoid picking up a yellow card. This would keep the momentum and confidence on track and set us up nicely for the up and coming fixtures against Leeds United and Leicester City.

COYB’s ⚽️💙👍

Woke up at 5 and am ready to go but 2 hours until the train!! Soooo excited to be home for this and so lucky & thankful I got a ticket! Time to bash the budgies back up the 140 with their tail feathers left scattered around PR!! #coyb 🚜💙

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:40 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:43 am

I think this is going to be a lot lot harder than many Town fans think, yes I've gone for a Town win but wouldn't be at all surprised if it ends up Honours even. Again this game defines nothing and tbh I'd rather win against Leeds and Leicester than this game, it’s all about the end goal for the season
Agree with all that. There are no easy games in this division, and Derby matches are so unpredictable. It works be great to beat them but the next two are more important. In May we won’t remember it as the season when we beat Norwich, we will remember it as the season we got promotion, or made the playoffs, etc.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:06 am

Watching EFL Rivalries - The East Anglian Derby really got me in the mood for it last night so much so that I struggled to get off to sleep which is a rarity these days.

I’ve woke up thinking about it and just read that it’s 2 years to the day since Kieran McKenna joined us which could be a good omen as he’s the key man in this which could be a huge differential in our favour.

I think over recent years we’ve had too many managers and players who a Derby game like this would be meaningless to, but McKenna will be different. He’ll have been brought up on two of the biggest Derby Games in English football, The London Derby whilst at Tottenham and more recently the Manchester Derby whilst at United. He will know exactly how to get the players prepared for this, and have their heads straight, but at the same time they’ll understand the importance of the fixture to the fans.

Like Bluemike I think a win won’t come easy because the budgies won’t let it be. I’ve gone 3-2 with my prediction and will be surprised if we don’t see a few goals, I just hope and pray we score at least one more than them.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:19 am

DERBY DAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

BOUNCY BOUNCY BOUNCY BOUNCY LA LALA LA LA LAAAAAAAAA

💙💙💙💙
COYB’s ——>>> STUFF SOME CANARIES

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:01 am

LizinSpain wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:43 am
Charnwood wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:22 pm

COYB’s ⚽️💙👍

Woke up at 5 and am ready to go but 2 hours until the train!! Soooo excited to be home for this and so lucky & thankful I got a ticket! Time to bash the budgies back up the 140 with their tail feathers left scattered around PR!! #coyb 🚜💙
Enjoy Maria, I didn't sleep well and anything other that a win would be disastrous and I'm almost to nervous to watch 😱 COYB.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:09 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:19 am
DERBY DAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

BOUNCY BOUNCY BOUNCY BOUNCY LA LALA LA LA LAAAAAAAAA

💙💙💙💙
COYB’s ——>>> STUFF SOME CANARIES
11:30pm Saturday night kick-off here and I'm up for it.

Probably past Frosty's bedtime though.

-

aah got it wrong again bloody daylight savings, time for a nap
Last edited by Mauswara on Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:14 am

COYB’s 💙

Posted by a Town fan 👍( nicked from twtd)

Arise my blue brothers and sisters – THIS IS OUR TIME – by the Golden Helmet 21:17 - Dec 15 with 890 views unstableblue

… of Sutton Hoo will you answer the clarion call? Will your vocal sword add to the McKenna armoury? A doomsday weapon of technically empowered adversity slaying culture.

Over the Waveney they will flow - like a diseased plague of mutant inbred Orks - hot yellowy liquid* frothing from their snaggle toothed mouths. Will we stand tall? Our silvery blue armour shimmering in the midday winter sun. Pure bred Suffolk (and in some cases North Essex) battalions, drawn from the sea and the field, the very shingle of the Shingle Street – Stowmarket, Lowestoft, Lavenham, Woodridge (chic armour, very chic), Bury St Edmunds, Felixstowe, all the IPs, Beccles, Dallinghoo, Woolpit, Eye… yes they will come, they will march to the sceptred temple, the holiest of places – Portman Road – our fortress, our mecca.

(*yes, its mustard)

As brothers, sisters, fathers, sons (but not married to each other, like you know, our visitors) we will STAND – not sit, with tartan rugs, and a thermos (yes you Block C) – arms interlocked, our blue livery fluttering in the wind that surges from the glistening Orwell. And as our cherished warriors emerge something remarkable shall happen, an epiphany, a moment – the Churchmans will LEAD a song – ‘Barclays Falling, All Around Us, Ipswich Playing, Having Fun, It’s the season, Back to back promotions, Merry Christmas, Norwich Scum’ – a song taken up by ALL – relentless, a cacophony, like the sirens call, deranging the opposition players and their banshee half-cut leader.

And as if audibly signalled, from the North Stand flank a huge emblem, a dazzling standard, shall be raised aloft – BLUE ACTION assemble. And battle shall commence, oh yes it will – and we, the privileged few with the golden ticket, will go into a higher state of blue being - CAN YOU FEEL IT - my blue brothers and sisters - CAN YOU SEE IT - for our Blue Elysium awaits us.. 13 years of darkness, of Norfolk's Mordor shadow - BUT NO LONGER - if you commit yourself, your very lungs, your very minds, your very being… WE SHALL PREVAIL… by the mystic powers of Giovani Dos Santos (yes its been that long) THIS IS OUR TIME. Be the 12th man/woman, repay the beautiful gift McKenna, Chaplin, Morsy, Hladky et al have given you. BELIEVE. SCREAM!!!!!

For Bloots

(Nurse nurse increase the medication)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:27 am

“Barclays Falling, All Around Us, Ipswich Playing, Having Fun, It’s the season, Back to back promotions, Merry Christmas, Norwich Scum”

That is absolute GOLD, Hallam…. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will be singing that all day now

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:59 am

Ha ha so will close to 30k Town fans marko, trust me 👍💙💙💙💙💙

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:21 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:59 am
Ha ha so will close to 30k Town fans marko, trust me 👍💙💙💙💙💙
Like Frosty……. Very jealous. Hope you all have an amazing day.
Was going to say, “whatever the result”…… but that doesn’t apply in derbies. Can ONLY be a win.

KAAAAAM AN, ITFC! 💙💙💙

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:54 pm

How the f*ck did Broadhead miss that chance on 19 mins. He’s scored from so many more difficult chances ☹️

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:03 pm

How many chances do we need before we score. We’re definitely lacking in composure in front of goal today. We could so easily have been out of sight by now.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:07 pm

First goal is crucial ⚽️💙