Championship - Leeds United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bigger fixture than Norwich this season?

Leeds Win
53%
Ipswich Win
33%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 15

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Leeds United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:23 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:06 pm
I'll tell you now Ash, if we bring Walton in and try to play it out from the back as we do it will all come crashing down cus Walton is hopeless at it, I don't believe McKenna will be that stupid tbh. As for Burgess being our MOTM, really ? I thought he was hopeless tbh.

Given Burgess contributed to two of their 4 goals it would be difficult to make him MOTM. That said he was probably the best of our back 4 who were all pretty hopeless today.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:28 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:14 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:57 pm
Please let's not blame Hladky ffs, that's the least of our worries, he's done nothing wrong, there's 7 or 8 other goons out there today.
Exactly my point earlier when you chose to blame Axel.

… and yes Hladky does do something wrong regularly, he doesn’t command his six yard box at set pieces and mostly chooses to stay rooted to his line. In my opinion this exposes us to conceding goals like their first today.
Hladky has defenders in front of him who can't defend at set pieces. He has always had a weakness at cross balls due to his build. He's improved quite a bit at crosses in his time at Ipswich, tends to punch like a lot of continental keeper. He is a brilliant shot stopper superb with the ball at his feet, reads the game superbly annod organises his defenders really well. All of Towns center backs are average with Burgess the best of them. Thats where the problem is with right back a weak link too

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:29 pm

Well that was a performance to forget. Only good thing about this away day is we have found a lovely pub just off the A1 to have dinner. On to Portman Road on Boxing day.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:31 pm

I’d agree with most of that. I’ve always maintained our defence is poor. But I’m convinced that Axel is a cut above, but he’s played do little football in the last year, he needs games.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:35 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:29 pm
Well that was a performance to forget. Only good thing about this away day is we have found a lovely pub just off the A1 to have dinner. On to Portman Road on Boxing day.
Do you know what I’m actually not even upset about the result now the dust has settled. We’ll come back from this. We’re still 7 pts ahead of Leeds, but Interesting comment by Mathie when he said “Leeds on their day can play like they did today , as you’d expect with their resources”. But he also said “the problem with them is they aren’t consistent, but we are”….

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:38 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:28 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Please let's not blame Hladky ffs, that's the least of our worries, he's done nothing wrong, there's 7 or 8 other goons out there today.

… and yes Hladky does do something wrong regularly, he doesn’t command his six yard box at set pieces and mostly chooses to stay rooted to his line. In my opinion this exposes us to conceding goals like their first today.
Hladky has defenders in front of him who can't defend at set pieces. He has always had a weakness at cross balls due to his build. He's improved quite a bit at crosses in his time at Ipswich, tends to punch like a lot of continental keeper. He is a brilliant shot stopper superb with the ball at his feet, reads the game superbly annod organises his defenders really well. All of Towns center backs are average with Burgess the best of them. Thats where the problem is with right back a weak link too
Spot on

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:47 pm

Disappointing. Not so much that we lost, but with the manner in which we lost. Win together, lose together. Notwithstanding the comparative squads’ worth - £200M v £30M, our individual and collective performances were very poor, against a Leeds team who treated the game as a cup final, and were better all over the pitch. In truth, we had few answers on the day. Similar in some ways to the West Brom game - from which it was said ‘lessons will be learned’.

But it’s over. Move on to another potentially demanding challenge on Tuesday night. Not much time for those lessons to be learned and applied! However, looking at the bigger picture, these two games needn’t define our season. As a newly promoted side for whom the C’ship remains ‘work in progress’, we’re doing more than alright!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:11 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:28 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

The reason we can’t defend set pieces is because non of our defenders follow the ball, they all man watch and not ball watch hence they have no idea where the ball is. I can only assume that’s the way they’re coached ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:18 pm

And yet that was only the second goal we've conceded from a corner all season, quite bizarre

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:20 pm

We’ve lost just THREE games all this season.
X2 Leeds ( a PL outfit in every sense of the word)
x1 WBA

We literally handed the initiative to this PL club today by playing EXACTLY the same way we did st PR…. with open, expansive attacking football. Really? Did we learn nothing? Now McKenna is saying “we will learn from this defeat and move quickly on”….. well if we don’t change our approach v Leicester on Boxing Day, we will be beaten again. We need to less naive!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:24 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:18 pm
And yet that was only the second goal we've conceded from a corner all season, quite bizarre
I’m surprised at that stat Mike as to me we look vulnerable every time we defend a corner. If it only costs us 4 goals a season maybe we’re better at it than I think 🤔

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:06 pm
I'll tell you now Ash, if we bring Walton in and try to play it out from the back as we do it will all come crashing down because Walton is hopeless at it, I don't believe McKenna will be that stupid tbh. As for Burgess being our MOTM, really? I thought he was hopeless tbh.
Mike, Burgess was the best of a bad bunch of players, and even when the subs were made it was even worse.
Now Walton did well in Div 1 and until he was injured I heard of no complaints, we have shipped more goals this season, so do we look for another experienced keeper ??? today showed we have a very long way to go, so let's set about Leicester on Tuesday night and see if we can redeem ourselves to Keiran as at the moment he ain't a happy bunny with that performance of running around like headless chickens.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:37 pm

Well, this certainly was not the result I was expecting, but it did give me a huge reality check.

We were second best today in every way - class, play, tactics, preparation. When I look at the 2 games we have played against Leeds I am forced to concede (extremely reluctantly) that they have better players than we do, right across the park. Fortunately, we do not have to play them again this season, but I am now expecting them to overhaul us (and possibly Southampton will as well).

KM said before the game that this game would be a good indicator of where we are, and I think it was - we're not bad against the lesser teams but we will struggle against the teams with Premiership quality players.

Too many of our players came up short today:
Burns - he didn't deliver one cross, and after the first attempt to beat his man (which he lost woefully) didn't even try
Broadhead - anonymous
Hirst - utter crap
Clarke - ditto
Luongo - looked tired, so why was he played?

I think we need one hell of a transfer window if we have serious aspirations of finishing top 2.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:22 pm

Hanging onto an automatic promotion place won’t come easy but neither will Leeds closing a 7 point gap with their inconsistency. For us to finish 2024 2nd in the table must surely exceed all of our expectations, so maybe we should applaud what’s been achieved so far and look forward to the second half of what’s been a fantastic season so far. 👏👏👏

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:30 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:22 pm
Hanging onto an automatic promotion place won’t come easy but neither will Leeds closing a 7 point gap with their inconsistency. For us to finish 2024 2nd in the table must surely exceed all of our expectations, so maybe we should applaud what’s been achieved so far and look forward to the second half of what’s been a fantastic season so far. 👏👏👏
There's no denying that nobody expected us to be in second place at this stage. There's also no denying that it was upsetting and humiliating to see us get thrashed today. What's wrong with wanting better?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:33 pm

Just managed to see a photo from the beeb site. 🤦‍♂️
Ipswich travel away to a white attire team……. And take their orange kit? Jaysus fkn H. 🤦‍♂️ Thats why the team lost today. Feck all to do with goalies or defenders or midfielders. Its orange football strips.
Come on, you BLUES…… wear the BLUE.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:48 pm

The all black strip would have matched the performance and result!☹️

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:49 pm

I do wonder how much say Sky has on the kits worn …. “ for tv purposes” :roll: …. But I agree with you Marko. I’d rather we’d played today in an ALL BLUE strip tbh !

lol Herforder ……

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:12 pm

Ipswich will learn more from this than Leeds...

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:19 pm

Thinking about it, have never really liked the all orange strip from it’s very first appearance, many moons ago. Can remember Boncho Guenshev wearing it, though, when scoring against QPR. Programmes were written in Latin in those days!

Sorry, niff naff and trivia….

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:28 pm

Denny61 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:12 pm
Ipswich will learn more from this than Leeds...
It’ll only be useful learning if we change.

Continue against those kind of teams, the way we did today, and we’ll get beaten again.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:29 pm

herforder wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:19 pm
Thinking about it, have never really liked the all orange strip from it’s very first appearance, many moons ago. Can remember Boncho Guenshev wearing it, though, when scoring against QPR. Programmes were written in Latin in those days!

Sorry, niff naff and trivia….
I remember us thrashing QPR at their place playing in an orange strip. Curry got a helluva goal for us that day 👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:48 pm

Cant have QPR mentioned without seeing QPR fan. Always entertaining. Love the guy at the back, “w*nker, sit down!” :lol:

https://youtu.be/XLWpoewh43w?si=_ZUonHwJH302IBZJ

Not really got a problem with orange shirts. Just cannot abide Ipswich Town wearing anything else other than blue for home or white for away.
Orange shirts, black shirts, red shirts, barcelona style shirts…….., Nooooooooo!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:32 pm

Is it fair to say that since we play such attacking football, we don’t really have a defensive scheme? Nothing wrong with getting beaten by Leeds, it’s just the manner in which we got beaten twice by them. I’m not gonna keep banging on about us conceding too many goals, but it’s evident we need to be a bit more defensive…sometimes.

It’s been a brilliant season and we’ve done extremely well to be in the position we are. But I’m like a drug addict trying to get my fix, I want more.

I still trust the KMessiah to get us all believing again, so let’s kick Leicester’s as*!

COYB!!!!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:41 am

Some of their players went down too easily ? Caught the penalty incident, though there were minimal contact, can't abide opposition players falling over trying to win favor from game officials although some of our own fanbase maybe view it different and believe it were a legitimate foul or obstruction.

Vaclav people say had a bad game but couldn't be at fault for at least the opener. Think the issue here is he's not so much a goalkeeper maybe out of form but just lately has something of a suspect defense directly in front of him.

Davis will feel bad enough about the OG without need for further castigation of the player but the game was just about lost by the interval. Not impressed by the orange strip we wear either, it's just not traditional or seems out of place on the field. Bottom line on the game, Leeds wanted it more and came out with intent while we never really got started. About 1 or 2 shots on the opposition goal throughout entire game time tells it's own story.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:10 am

Having slept on it overnight I think it’s one of those games we just have to draw a line under and move on. We clearly had a bad day yesterday and should realise that maybe we’re not quite as good as we thought we were and are a long way off Premier League standard which the likes of Leicester, Leeds and Southampton are much closer too.

Whilst I made the point yesterday that Hladky has a weakness defending set pieces by not coming for the ball, I certainly wasn’t looking to blame him for our defeat, in fact if you included him as the last man of our defensive six, I think he was probably our best player.

When you look at how much better Leeds individual players are than ours, then it’s a miracle in itself that we sit comfortably in 2nd place and a credit to Kieran McKenna’s management and coaching. He really does get the best out of our team which has performed far more consistently than Leeds whose performances have been erratic resulting in dropping points to lesser teams. By comparison our defeats have only been to teams better than us on the day and as either Alan Lee or Marty Holland, said on Town TV recently, Ipswich don’t have the best players in the Championship but they do have the best coached in The League.

For most games our style of play works for us, however when we’re up against better players and need to go defensive our players are often found wanting, particularly our full backs who just like Trent-Alexander at Liverpool, are far better going forward than defending, which of course puts more pressure on the centre backs who get pulled out of position.

Boxing Day will be interesting but we could be in for another hard time, and however well McKenna gets us up for it we will be up against some better players than we have at Portman Road. Whatever the outcome of our two Christmas games these won’t define our season although what we do in the two games against QPR and Stoke over the New Year might.

I’m already looking forward to 2024 and whilst I’ve accepted the two automatic places could be beyond us I still think promotion is achievable even if it’s via the play-offs which I’m sure we’d all have taken at the start of the season.

COYB’s, 2024 is going to be another very good year for ITFC.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:27 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:10 am
Having slept on it overnight I think it’s one of those games we just have to draw a line under and move on. We clearly had a bad day yesterday and should realise that maybe we’re not quite as good as we thought we were and are a long way off Premier League standard which the likes of Leicester, Leeds and Southampton are much closer too.

Whilst I made the point yesterday that Hladky has a weakness defending set pieces by not coming for the ball, I certainly wasn’t looking to blame him for our defeat, in fact if you included him as the last man of our defensive six, I think he was probably our best player.

When you look at how much better Leeds individual players are than ours, then it’s a miracle in itself that we sit comfortably in 2nd place and a credit to Kieran McKenna’s management and coaching. He really does get the best out of our team which has performed far more consistently than Leeds whose performances have been erratic resulting in dropping points to lesser teams. By comparison our defeats have only been to teams better than us on the day and as either Alan Lee or Marty Holland, said on Town TV recently, Ipswich don’t have the best players in the Championship but they do have the best coached in The League.

For most games our style of play works for us, however when we’re up against better players and need to go defensive our players are often found wanting, particularly our full backs who just like Trent-Alexander at Liverpool, are far better going forward than defending, which of course puts more pressure on the centre backs who get pulled out of position.

Boxing Day will be interesting but we could be in for another hard time, and however well McKenna gets us up for it we will be up against some better players than we have at Portman Road. Whatever the outcome of our two Christmas games these won’t define our season although what we do in the two games against QPR and Stoke over the New Year might.

I’m already looking forward to 2024 and whilst I’ve accepted the two automatic places could be beyond us I still think promotion is achievable even if it’s via the play-offs which I’m sure we’d all have taken at the start of the season.

COYB’s, 2024 is going to be another very good year for ITFC.
Was having this discussion with some Town fans coming out of the ground yesterday. If Leeds and Leicester play to their full potential then we will struggle against them as at the end of the day they have better players than us. Totally agree about the game on Boxing Day as Leicester are another side who are very good in transition at this level.
The full backs are a problem defensively and this is something which will need to be resolved. Even though we took a beating yesterday we need to remember just 2 years ago teams like Barrow were making us look average.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:53 am

Watson ( EADT), puts it all into perspective , yet again.

“Town are now six points behind leaders Leicester City. And they've seen their lead over Leeds and Southampton cut to seven points. Up next, of course, is the Foxes, at Portman Road, on Boxing Day.

Time to feel nervy? No chance. It's time to feel proud and show your support. This last week's disappointments show just how far this club has come in the space of two years. Half a season played, 52 points on the board, 18 clear of sixth, and it's still possible to feel a little flat. That says it all.

Striker Rutter was a beast in this game. That's what £35m buys you. Leeds brought on 13-cap Italian international Willy Gnonto, former Barcelona man Junior Firpo and one-cap England man Patrick Bamford in this match. By my estimation, their squad cost in excess of £100m to assemble. Ipswich, by contrast, haven't spent more than £1.5m on a player. That's not an excuse. It's just facts.

Don't let a misguided sense of entitlement set in. It's important to remind ourselves that McKenna's men are the underdogs in this promotion fight. This is a club that's just spent four years in League One up against three three teams that have just spent several years in the Premier League. They have no right, really, to be in this top-four mix. Yet here we are.

Two defeats to Leeds, eight goals conceded. Games against your direct rivals don't always define finishing positions though. Ipswich beat Aston Villa twice in 80/81 but still lost out to them in the title race. Consistency and staying power is king.

Ipswich will continue to trust their processes. We should too.”

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:57 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:53 am
Watson ( EADT), puts it all into perspective , yet again.

“Town are now six points behind leaders Leicester City. And they've seen their lead over Leeds and Southampton cut to seven points. Up next, of course, is the Foxes, at Portman Road, on Boxing Day.

Time to feel nervy? No chance. It's time to feel proud and show your support. This last week's disappointments show just how far this club has come in the space of two years. Half a season played, 52 points on the board, 18 clear of sixth, and it's still possible to feel a little flat. That says it all.

Striker Rutter was a beast in this game. That's what £35m buys you. Leeds brought on 13-cap Italian international Willy Gnonto, former Barcelona man Junior Firpo and one-cap England man Patrick Bamford in this match. By my estimation, their squad cost in excess of £100m to assemble. Ipswich, by contrast, haven't spent more than £1.5m on a player. That's not an excuse. It's just facts.

Don't let a misguided sense of entitlement set in. It's important to remind ourselves that McKenna's men are the underdogs in this promotion fight. This is a club that's just spent four years in League One up against three three teams that have just spent several years in the Premier League. They have no right, really, to be in this top-four mix. Yet here we are.

Two defeats to Leeds, eight goals conceded. Games against your direct rivals don't always define finishing positions though. Ipswich beat Aston Villa twice in 80/81 but still lost out to them in the title race. Consistency and staying power is king.

Ipswich will continue to trust their processes. We should too.”
Oh I remember that Mick Mills banana kick against Villa that used to play every week on MOTW. What was it, 7-0?

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:05 pm

A good read.
There have been lots of comments on this thread about our defence. The most important and accurate in my opinion was the one that said it fullbacks are better at getting forward than they set at defending. I’d pay off the modern game and there are precious few so can do both aspects equally well.
I remember posting last season (and probably many times before) that you achieve promotion by attacking, but once promoted you have to learn to defend better - in my opinion it’s edgy every tine Norwich got to the prem they couldn’t survive there (along with the obvious money factor). Luton are hanging on with a chance because they were an exception take, defending well and attacking quickly on the break. Leeds by all accounts attached quickly and I think Leicester will as well. And we aren’t set up defensively to cope.
However, ours attacking mentality is good enough against most championship teams. We probably lack the better defensive full backs to bring in for those hangers against the top teams.
It’s been a hell of a good two years wherever we end up this season. Our attacking philosophy will serve us well, hopefully a top 6 finish. But more importantly to me, it’s so entertaining to watch (bearing in mind i didn’t see yesterday’s performance!)