Championship - Leeds United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bigger fixture than Norwich this season?

Leeds Win
53%
Ipswich Win
33%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 15

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Leeds United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:51 pm

Image Leeds United v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 23rd December 2023 – 12:30

Elland Road

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

After all the build up which seemed to go on for months, all the euphoria has died down and the dust has settled on another East Anglian derby. It was a derby that was supposed to see the Blue side stamp their authority on proceedings and grab the bragging rights at last and despite the result not being what we hoped for I think we more than did enough to show the watching world just who are top dogs in this part of the world right now.

It may have finished honours even but how Town did not win that game is a question most are asking, dominant for most of it but unfortunately for once our shooting boots deserted us when we needed them the most, quite how the teams went in at the break all square was anyone's guess after town had bossed the entire half, pinning the Canaries back in their own half for much of it. Chance after chance went begging with Nathan Broadhead missing Two chances that really were easier to score than miss, One in particular defied logic after he had done all the hard work to open up their fragile defence.

Of course as seems to be the case against them these days they got the luck when it mattered most, there were strong question marks over both their goals with the first in particular really hard to take as video evidence has since proven it was offside and had VAR been in use the goal would not have stood, I really don't think VAR was needed on this occasion as it looked pretty conclusive to most, even those of a yellow persuasion.

You just felt it was going to be one of those days when they inexplicably went ahead courtesy of another iffy goal as Hladky's vision definitely appeared to be hindered by Barnes who was a right tit all afternoon, add to that the deflection that helped it on it's way and it appeared to be that the Footballing gods were against us. Thankfully Wes Burns popped up with a cool finish after some nice Football to get us back level and to ensue some sort of justice prevailed, sadly we were unable to go on and get the elusive winner we deserved but that's Football sometimes, if there was one criticism of Town it was that we did not do enough in the final Twenty Minutes to win the game.

If anyone needed any confirmation as to which direction the Two teams are heading you only had to look at how the Norwich players and fans celebrated scraping a draw as we trudged off disappointed, the levels of expectation of the Two clubs are polls apart and finally it is the Blue side looking up and forward. We may not have won but our time has arrived, East Anglia is Blue once more as the chasm in League standing shows and I feel it will only get wider as the season progresses.

One thing I will say is that prior to the game I felt they had only One player in their ranks that could possibly get in our team and that was Jonathon Rowe and he proved me correct, yes he may be a petulant knob but how good would it be if we do achieve our dream of promotion to nick him off our rivals ? I believe he would be good enough and the lure of Premier League Football would surely be tempting.

Thankfully our dropping of Two points against Norwich mattered little as our next opponents and closest rivals for promotion Leeds Utd proceeded to do the same at home to Coventry City which kept our Ten point gap intact again. For me there is no doubt that Leeds are a little bit up and down right now and they will be worrying about us rolling into town as much as we are going up to their patch. A 12.30pm kick off on Sky TV does not instill me with excitement though, I hate it when we are on SKY to be perfectly honest but it is what it is.

Having gained Seven points from Three very tough games last week we are showing our rivals that despite what many are predicting we have not, as yet, started to fall away and in truth there is little to suggest that we will, Leeds on the other had failed to beat the Sky Blues at home in a game they would have expected to win, this followed on from their defeat at Sunderland and disappointing draw at bottom club Rotherham Utd not long ago so they are definitely not unbeatable by any means, that said they do have some real quality in their ranks and should they click they are a match for anyone, especially at home where they are still to lose but it has to happen some time so why not against us ?

I would happily take a draw here as it keeps the gap the same between the Two sides but as we know we will be going all out to win it and should we succeed that gap may just be too big for Leeds to reel in. Thankfully we have skipper Sam Morsy available but I think there could well be One or two changes elsewhere as the games come thick and fast, we are right in the middle of our hard spell of games but so far so good as we plough on relentlessly. this is a really hard one to call but I will go for a share of the spoils which will be a decent effort in One of the toughest tests of the season. COYB'S

The Opposition – Leeds United - Honours

League

First Division/Premier League
Champions: 1968–69, 1973–74, 1991–92
Runners-up: 1964–65, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1971–72

Second Division/Championship
Champions: 1923–24, 1963–64, 1989–90, 2019–20
Runners-up: 1927–28, 1931–32, 1955–56
Play-off runners-up: 1987, 2006

League One
Runners-up: 2009–10
Play-off runners-up: 2008

Cup

FA Cup
Winners: 1971–72
Runners-up: 1964–65, 1969–70, 1972–73

League Cup
Winners: 1967–68
Runners-up: 1995–96

FA Charity Shield
Winners: 1969, 1992
Runners-up: 1974

European

European Cup
Runners-up: 1974–75

European Cup Winners' Cup
Runners-up: 1972–73

The Manager – Daniel Farke

League Table as at 19.12.2023

Form Guide

Leeds United

29 Nov Leeds Utd 3 - 1 Swansea City

2 Dec Leeds Utd 3 - 2 Middlesbrough

9 Dec Blackburn 0 - 2 Leeds Utd

12 Dec Sunderland 1 - 0 Leeds Utd

16 Dec Leeds Utd 1 - 1 Coventry City

Ipswich Town

29 Nov Ipswich Town 3 - 1 Millwall

2 Dec Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Coventry City

9 Dec Middlesbrough 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

12 Dec Watford 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

16 Dec Ipswich Town 2 - 2 Norwich City

Head to Head

Match Referee – Stephen Martin

LEEDS UNITED 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

hallamblue

Re: Championship - Leeds United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:09 pm

I’m hoping the pressure will be all on Leeds… and have gone for a Town win , but wouldn’t view a draw as a tragedy.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:12 pm

Think we're going to lose the battle but win the war. I've gone for Leeds to edge it on the day, but I think we'll still be in the automatics come May.

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:13 pm

Leeds will be too busy looking over their shoulders at Southampton to focus on us!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:48 am

I don’t see us winning this one, hopefully we’ll get a draw. Leeds know how to play us, and we concede too many goals. Hope I’m wrong.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:06 am

Last two games for Leeds. They weren't firing on all fronts ..but I see them rectify that on Saturday but I see us getting goals too..so a draw I reckon. And it's no bad thing ...keep the gap the Same but in Saying that..another new enemy on our radar could be 8 points behind us then .they are all queuing up to derail us ...we can cope .we are ipswich after all.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:05 am

I said it a week ago and I'll say it again now - we will beat Leeds on Saturday and we will finish above them at the end of the season.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:54 am

They got lucky against us, won't happen again.

0-1

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:28 am

rossi wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:05 am
I said it a week ago and I'll say it again now - we will beat Leeds on Saturday and we will finish above them at the end of the season.
Don't let me down Gary !!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:32 am

I think we can edge this one which for me is more important than a win against Leicester City, the result of which won’t define our season whereas losing at Leeds could have an impact.

The longer we can maintain the gap between us and the chasing pack the longer we can play entertaining free flowing football. Once Leeds and others are on our back and our confidence drops the pressure increases and points start to get harder to pick up.

I’d take a win against Leeds and defeat to Leicester right now and move onto the next game where a win against QPR would still give us 16 from 21 points for December,

Happy Days 👍💙⚽️

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:20 pm

Yep I agree, I would rather beat Leeds than Leicester although I still feel we will win on Boxing Day so why not win them both !! That really would be a statement of intent.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:21 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:32 am
I think we can edge this one which for me is more important than a win against Leicester City, the result of which won’t define our season whereas losing at Leeds could have an impact.

The longer we can maintain the gap between us and the chasing pack the longer we can play entertaining free flowing football. Once Leeds and others are on our back and our confidence drops the pressure increases and points start to get harder to pick up.

I’d take a win against Leeds and defeat to Leicester right now and move onto the next game where a win against QPR would still give us 16 from 21 points for December,

Happy Days 👍💙⚽️
I can't see us losing to Leicester either - so I predict a win at Leeds AND a win at home to Leicester

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:30 pm

Nice preview, and as said in the last paragraph, a draw would be no bad thing and keeping the points gap the same.
Don’t think it’ll be easy, and draw seems to definitely be the likely outcome……. Leeds win seems second likely. An Ipswich win would be incredible, but can’t see it myself.
1-1 draw.

Caption:
Farke: “18 mins added, Ref? You want to explain that one?”
Ref: “This sun-dial seemed to have stopped.”

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:20 pm
Yep I agree, I would rather beat Leeds than Leicester although I still feel we will win on Boxing Day so why not win them both !! That really would be a statement of intent.
I think we can win both too Mike, it’s just if we don’t I’d prefer it to be Leicester we lose to and not Leeds. It would also make my journey back to Leicester with 3 City fans a lot easier 🤣, that said I’ll have more fun with the banter In the car after a win. f*ck it, why not win them both.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:55 pm

Class preview! In our favour, Leeds will be all out to win, and play a high press game. If we’re able to cope with their forwards’ strength and pace, and exploit the space beyond their defensive line, then we’ve got the quality to hurt them. Need to minimise their crossing opportunities, and ensure we win first and second balls into our box. The longer it goes goalless, the more the doubts will creep in and the more we can impose our game. Simples!

Also need to take advantage of the pressure they’ll be under, and the mental battle. All makes for a cracking encounter. A win would be great; but I’d be happy with a hard won point. COYB!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:30 pm

Think I might have to get blotto to watch this :lol: :lol:

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:47 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:30 pm
Think I might have to get blotto to watch this :lol: :lol:
Always good to stick with the tried and tested!🤣

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:16 am

Any team that can score four at Portman Road must be useful. They won at Leicester also if correct. Not all up on their home form, just see standout scores along the way. They're dangerous and should be approached with caution but so's a f**king hippopotamus, thing is you got to put faith in our own abilities we can take something from the trip there.

they really need to win to close that big gap margin on second place but you got Southampton and one or two others around same positions looking to move up. It won't be easy but we have the capabilities to take something from it. Once again depends who wants it more when the time arises. We require payback for the 4 - 3 home loss earlier in the season. We won't score four there but with enough effort and belief a win all the same is within reach.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:29 am

5-0 to Ipswich. No problem.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:40 am

lol :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:05 pm

Interesting the 2 Leeds fans I work with would be happy with a draw !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:39 pm

Lee the Leeds fan @ the merchants reckons Ipswich will be trounced. 🤦‍♂️ He’s also a jambo though, so 🤷‍♂️

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:14 pm

Massive game!

Suspect it’ll be the starting XI from the Norwich game with Wolfie swapped for Axel.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:38 pm

I wonder if Williams might also get the nod?

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:43 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:38 pm
I wonder if Williams might also get the nod?
Highly doubt it, Clarke is a bit more defensive and had been playing well of late. Williams hasn’t looked as sharp lately and not featured much, he got hooked at half time during his only recent start (Watford). He would suit more the games where we aren’t up against such a fierce attack.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:05 pm

Yes, good points there shabba. Just pray we can defend in our box properly tomorrow: we’re going to need it aren’t we.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:15 am

Was Clarke playing when Leeds beat us 4-3? Yep, both Woolfy and Clarke started the match. Williams came on for Clarke in the 73rd minute.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:31 am

number 9 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:15 am
Was Clarke playing when Leeds beat us 4-3? Yep, both Woolfy and Clarke started the match. Williams came on for Clarke in the 73rd minute.
Players form changes, Clark wasn’t fit at the start of the season and had missed pre season. Williams had a spell of excellent form and Clarke was poor, I thought he might not be good enough but he has been decent of late.

Williams is likely the better player but needs to regain his form, I do wonder if these rumours of off field issues are true and might be effecting him - or perhaps he just needs a run of games to find his form. I think he’ll be used a lot more in Jan - against ‘easier’ teams where we can attack more.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:41 am

It would be Clarke for me based on current form, been playing very well.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:26 am

With 4 games over 10 days it’s almost certain McKenna will need to utilise his squad using some form of rotation to keep players fresh. Whether he does this with his starting line up or during the games is another matter and I guess we’ll have a better idea around midday today.

I expect to see both Axel Tuanzabe and Brandon Williams used and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Axel start today at Elland Road.

The one player we will need to keep tabs on today is Dutchman Crysencio Summerville who seems to score from nowhere and is well on track to bag at least 20 goals this season.