Championship - Leeds United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bigger fixture than Norwich this season?

Leeds Win
53%
Ipswich Win
33%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 15

arana peligrosa

Re: Championship - Leeds United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:04 pm

4 - 0 there, are you really kidding me. And why the hell is this an early start game, what to accommodate Sky TV or some other broadcaster. Don't know what's going on with us there, a scoreline simply unacceptable. All right they're a good side and tough to beat but we shouldn't be trailing by that margin.

Seems the ref is poor once again but only taking others word for it. Seems we're not playing like we can and putting in a sub-standard performance. It's a shame, I know we're more capable than this.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:07 pm

Ok all step back and take a breath.

We are useless today from the goalie to the striker. We will get what we deserve, sweet F all

Got to take it on the chin, brush ourselves down and get over it. Look over everything and not just this one game, however poor we have been

Best decision is seeing Morsy taken off

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:10 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:27 pm
We’re always vulnerable to conceding from corners as Hladky never comes for a cross and always stands rooted to his line, meanwhile our defenders tend to man mark and don’t follow the ball which can easily lead to the opposition having a free header as happened for the opening goal. Since then we’ve been on the back foot.
I said that a couple of weeks back. That’s his big weakness compared to Walton.

I’m not able to watch today but I will say this.
1. I think we started the season like promoted teams often do, on a high. We have still played well but less so I think for a while. Still enjoying it week by week.
2. Last season we were probably one of the better off clubs in league 1, if not THE best off. We are probably better off financially than most Championship clubs; but it’s no surprise that we are struggling to compete today (and I suspect on Boxing Day) with clubs width more money/experience etc/ bloody stupid parachute payments etc.
just seen it’s 4-0 now.
3. I remember dating years ago under Evans that I would take relegation to league 1 if it meant et would compete on a level footing. I still think I’d be happier in the championship than the prem, looking at how the promoted sides scrap for the occasional point. Football is so ruled/spoilt by money that I just want to see a team playing decent football at the level they can afford to compete. Preferably on a Saturday at 3 pm.
4. I see some of the comments here about referees. I don’t know how good or bad he is as I can’t watch. But it’s bloody hard not to be influenced by a large crowd making a huge noise. I confess I’ve even done it myself at local level when refereeing. It’s not intentional but you think @try are all shouting for it, it must have been a foul. “. They are paid peanuts compared to the players; let’s put the blame where it deserves.

Anyway, before you all hurl abuse my way, I’m not trying to start an argument. Just trying to be realistic.

clethbridge8

Post by clethbridge8 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:11 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:59 pm
Morsy off before he gets booked
This!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:13 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:00 pm
Mike: Well you’re happy to blame Axel! What about the midfield in front of him or the attackers that can’t keep the bloody ball, or Clarke who’s constantly getting skinned?

4 subs… expect more Leeds goals now.
Yeah because he's useless lol

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:14 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:57 pm
Please let's not blame Hladky ffs, that's the least of our worries, he's done nothing wrong, there's 7 or 8 other goons out there today.
Exactly my point earlier when you chose to blame Axel.

… and yes Hladky does do something wrong regularly, he doesn’t command his six yard box at set pieces and mostly chooses to stay rooted to his line. In my opinion this exposes us to conceding goals like their first today.

osborne77

Post by osborne77 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:16 pm

Yes, you do have to remember that the Leeds squad cost 15 times what ours did and Leicester's on Boxing Day was 25 times as much. We're punching above our weight due to KM. I still think we'll get promoted but we will need to start seriously strengthening in January as we have very few Premiership quality players and changing loads of players in the Summer is always a recipe for disaster for newly promoted clubs.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:19 pm

I certainly wouldn’t want to be responsible for choosing our MOTM.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:20 pm

Today we’ve simply been beaten by a much better team. What’s important now is how we react on Tuesday night.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:22 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:20 pm
Today we’ve simply been beaten by a much better team. What’s important now is how we react on Tuesday night.
Exactly, Kieran will know this more than anybody

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:23 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:19 pm
Harry Clarke

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:23 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:19 pm
My vote goes to the kit man - very clean and lovely creases in the shorts...👍

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:24 pm

Farke 2 KM 0

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:24 pm

I have a feeling that Leeds are better than Leicester. We will see.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:29 pm

Reality check today.

Leeds looked superior all over the pitch - I'm sorry to say this but the scoreline was deserved.

But it's not how you fall, it's how you get up again. Still 7 points clear and very much in the driving seat COYBs!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:41 pm

Well that’s a game where all the stars aligned for Leeds and disappeared for our lot.

It’s one game . We don’t have to play this very powerful , quick Leeds side again, thankfully.

We are still 7 points ahead of them, and they have to play Leicester and Saints still.

So we move on and if we can beat Leicester that’s 3 pts instead of my hoped for 2 out of those two games tbh.

They’ve just said Axel could possibly be off on international duty as well so that’s
Burgess, Axel Baggott all potentially gone.

Defenders needed then!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:43 pm

they put four past us home and away, goddamn it not sure what else to add to that. All right we didn't perform and they did, you can argue it was a fair result. Remains kind of acceptable though, if we're really to make it back to the EPL once again results like that just can't occur. Six goals conceded in last two games, we usually don't have a problem in scoring but keeping them out is something of an issue.

We still got a gap on today's opposition in the auto places but going to have to work harder and improve on this in subsequent games in order to keep the promotion dream alive. Early reports say we didn't manage a shot on goal there, not sure if correct but that's disappointing to learn if true. Two unsatisfactory scores this and the Norwich game, just as well we got a cushion on the auto places. Not sure what else to add to it, just disappointed and feel let down again. To hell with it, move on and improve for the next challenge.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:43 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:14 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Please let's not blame Hladky ffs, that's the least of our worries, he's done nothing wrong, there's 7 or 8 other goons out there today.

… and yes Hladky does do something wrong regularly, he doesn’t command his six yard box at set pieces and mostly chooses to stay rooted to his line. In my opinion this exposes us to conceding goals like their first today.
I blamed all of them, I said we have no decent defender at the club and that is correct, today Axel looked no better than Woolfenden and has done little to impress in any of his appearances, Hladky on the other hand has won us numerous games and points and tops plenty of charts based on his performances, the comparison is ridiculous.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:47 pm

Axel looks like a player that’s played 2 games over the last year. Woolfie is playing week in week out. I don’t like him and I’m hoping Axel regains his mojo, if he does he’s light years ahead of Woolfie.
Clarke despite his good form recently, still flatters to deceive in my humble opinion. Even our fabulous left back was given the run around today. Burgess is our best CB snd had been gif s while. But he’s going on international duty. We are crap at defending the ball in our box- nothings changed.

But our midfield was non existent as were our front men ( they had their pockets picked by the Leeds defence all afternoon) snd then hit us in the break. That was Leeds all afternoon.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:53 pm

Final words to you all :

Keep the faith &
Merry Christmas to you all x

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:08 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:43 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:14 pm
Bluemike wrote:

I blamed all of them, I said we have no decent defender at the club and that is correct, today Axel looked no better than Woolfenden and has done little to impress in any of his appearances, Hladky on the other hand has won us numerous games and points and tops plenty of charts based on his performances, the comparison is ridiculous.
I’m not sure why you’re comparing them Mike, nobody else is.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:13 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Precisely! Leeds were far better than us today. Their keeper didn't have a save to make because of a combination of good defending and poor final passes from us.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:26 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:13 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Precisely! Leeds were far better than us today. Their keeper didn't have a save to make because of a combination of good defending and poor final passes from us.
Absolutely. One stand alone game won’t define our season but how we react might. So far this season we’ve reacted well after a defeat as we did following the trip to WBA, let’s hope Tuesday night is another.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:30 pm

I’m currently watching Leicester struggling to break Rotherham down, 0-0 after 28 mins. I think when it happens they’ll go on to win comfortably but the longer it stays level the longer I can hope for a surprise.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:41 pm

Well, I just watched the game on Sky where we were 2nd best to a far superior Leeds side, today our weakest link by far was Clarke at right-back he gave Somerville far too much space and got skinned nearly every time he's far too slow, we should have had Williams at RB, Tuanzebe is ok in my eyes and certainly not useless as Mike states, ( sorry Mike just my estimation of Axel,) and I can see why Kieran rates him, Burgess and Axel are a good pairing, Burgess was my MOTM and it's a shame he will be missing for five games playing for Australian national team.

But the one clear message is this game gives Keiran a much better idea of what player improvements are needed in the Jan window, he must see there are players to move on in the window who definitely won't cut it here, and that's around 6 or more players to move out and if our owners think £3 million is enough in the Jan window they had better think again, and I now think its time to give Walton another chance in goal give Hadlky a rest to improve on his faults like not commanding his box area, he's a bloody good stopper but that needs improving to his overall game.

So come Tuesday's game against Leicester let's get back to winning ways, forget today's result that's water under the bridge, and please Kieran don't play Clarke :lol: :lol:

I want to wish a Happy Christmas to every guys and gals on here, and let us have a healthy prosperous 2024 and get promoted to the promised land

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:45 pm

The only fear I’ve got from Leicester is they play break football too don’t they Andy? This Town side doesn’t deal with that very well. We’re not particularly quick in midfield and definitely not in defence. Hopefully these areas will be addressed in the window.

The other thing about today which McKenna may need to reflect on, is our style of play. We tried to play s as n attacking open game against a very quick powerful opponent.

Notice how scum played against us. They say back and hit us on the break. Our weakness in my view. Maybe we should have been a bit more defensive minded today and not so open in our play? Just a thought….

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:49 pm

Half Time : Leicester 0-0 Rotherham 🤞

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:54 pm

You’re right Liz they do play break football and are very quick down the wings especially down the left via Ricardo Pereira, Harry Winks and Mavididi. Rotherham are dealing with it quite well up to now but we could struggle if we get caught with too many players upfield.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:06 pm

I'll tell you now Ash, if we bring Walton in and try to play it out from the back as we do it will all come crashing down cus Walton is hopeless at it, I don't believe McKenna will be that stupid tbh. As for Burgess being our MOTM, really ? I thought he was hopeless tbh.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:20 pm

Leicester 1-0 ⚽️ on the hour, I think that’s game over.