Cameron Burgess called up for The Asia Cup.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Cameron Burgess called up for The Asia Cup.

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:57 pm

Town defender Cameron Burgess has been named in the Australia squad for the Asian Cup in Qatar next month.

With the competition running from January 10 to February 12, the 28-year-old will definitely be absent for Championship games against Sunderland (h) and Leicester (a) and, depending on how far the Socceroos progress, could also miss Rotherham (h), Preston (a), West Brom (h) and Millwall (a).

Australia - who won the tournament in 2015 before reaching the quarter-finals in 2019 - face Uzbekistan, Syria and India in the group stages and will be firm favourites to progress to the Round of 16 which commences on 28 January. In this case the earliest we’d be likely to see him back would be for the West Brom game at Portman Road.

At least we only lose one player and get off lightly compared with Leicester City who stand to lose at least four maybe 5 players who could all be missing when we play Leicester at The King Power Stadium on 22 January.

herforder

Re: Cameron Burgess called up for The Asia Cup.

Post by herforder » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:24 pm

Agree that we appear to have faired pretty well overall. I think KM has expressed frustration, however, regarding SM’s likely (or not) involvement with Egypt - stating that his January transfer options have been impacted by uncertainty. Whilst it would obviously be a huge blow to lose him, there are options available to KM (eg Taylor) to fill the gap.

Burgess’ loss may be more problematic, more so with Baggott joining up with Indoamnesia, and Tuanzabee still being gradually integrated. Any further injuries to our remaining CBs would be pretty disastrous. Inbound defender therefore likely?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:39 am

Will definitely be a new CB coming in then, a duo of Woolfenden and Edmundson fills me with dread.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:39 am
Will definitely be a new CB coming in then, a duo of Woolfenden and Edmundson fills me with dread.
:shock: :shock: Me too Mike we have to get another CB and maybe one or two consistent strikers won't go amiss like J Stansfield of Fulham on loan at Brum as our Hirst blows hot and cold if we can perform down both our flanks like Leeds do with quick and tricky Summerville who blew Clarke away time after time, and as I stated yesterday we are going to need a dam site more than £3 million in the Jan window if Kieran is after quality players to come in they will have to up that Kitty a bit more.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:24 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:49 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:39 am
:shock: :shock: Me too Mike we have to get another CB and maybe one or two consistent strikers won't go amiss like J Stansfield of Fulham on loan at Brum as our Hirst blows hot and cold if we can perform down both our flanks like Leeds do with quick and tricky Summerville who blew Clarke away time after time, and as I stated yesterday we are going to need a dam site more than £3 million in the Jan window if Kieran is after quality players to come in they will have to up that Kitty a bit more.
I agree, Ladapo is definitely on his way as is Scarlett, as you say Hirst is very hot and cold and yesterday I thought he was completely out of his depth. Regarding Clarke, I wouldn't knock him too much as he has been very good of late and let's not forget Summerville is an exceptional talent who has the ability to tear better players than Clarke apart. I think the kitty was 3 Million based on our current situation so if players are shipped out that kitty will go up for sure.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:30 pm

Blues skipper Sam Morsy has not been included in the Egypt squad for the Africa Cup of Nations which takes place during January.

The competition would have seen the 32-year-old miss up to six Town Championship matches.

Morsy had been included in the 55-man provisional squad, leading to fears that he could be named in the 27-strong final party for the tournament in Côte d'Ivoire.

Earlier in the week, Egypt's national team manager Mohamed Ghoraba refuted reports that Morsy had told the Egypt FA that he was making himself unavailable for the competition, again fuelling concerns that Town might be without their skipper for a vital month of the season.

However, those worries were misplaced with Morsy’s name absent when the squad was announced this lunchtime.

Morsy has won nine full Egypt caps, the most recent two in September. However, he was then left out of the squads for the October and November internationals.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:00 pm

Great news