Championship - Ipswich Town vs Leicester City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How will we respond to the Leeds result?

Ipswich Win
59%
Leicester Win
24%
Draw
18%

Total votes: 17

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Leicester City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:25 am
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:48 am
lucy wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:15 pm
I can't understand why if fit Brandon Williams isn't playing. I'd rather him than Clarke.

I tend to agree with you here Lucy although I have a feeling there’s something not 100% right with Brandon Williams and ITFC but I don’t know what it is. Unlike Mike I thought Harry Clarke looked poor last night and left us far too exposed down their left side which is where most of their threat was coming from. I think Brandon Williams reads the game much better than Harry but of course he is only a loanee.
I don't think Mckenna will be too eager to play anyone who's got problems with heavies turning up at the training ground demanding money from gambling debts back, not to mention the the Two bodyguards that have by all accounts been employed.

Aside from that on first inspection their first goal looks totally Clarkes fault but as is mentioned in the match report Clarke tracked the run of the guy who cuts inside because no other lazy f*cker did, thus leaving the guy on the outside in acres of space and yet nobody else closed in on him either, caught between the devil and the deep blue sea really. I thought he had a decent game, he's far from perfect for sure but far more dependable on a regular basis than Williams who let's not forget was hooked off at half time in one game because he was getting run ragged and it sure as he'll wasn't against the best team in the division.
On 36, Clarke made the challenge of the evening when he slid in to dispossess Mavididi after the forward had again been played in by Ndidi with the earlier scorer otherwise in on goal inside the box.
Everyone asleep when that happened? :wink:
The problem is Mike performances are measured over 90 mins not just one or two good moments. For me Harry Clarke hasn’t developed much since he joined us whereas most of our players have improved under McKenna’s coaching. I wasn’t aware of Williams off field problems but if what you say is true it goes a long way to explain why we’re not seeing much of him and could see him being sent packing in January. If this is the case then a versatile full back needs to be added to the shopping list, along with another centre back, cover for Morsy and Luongo and maybe another striker especially if Ladapo is likely to be released, I’d probably let Jackson go too unless we need him for emergencies.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:39 pm

Andy I totally agree about being measured over 90 minutes and for me there were far worse players out there last night than Clarke but that's just my take on it, Burns, anonymous defensively all night, just look at the easy cross he had in the first half to Jackson who was totally unmarked in front of goal and yet Burns hits the only bloody defender in sight, that would surely have been a goal, for me that's every bit as bad as a defensive error but by and large it goes unnoticed.

Chaplin anonymous first half, Jackson anonymous most of the game, Davis consistently caught out of position, Taylor a rabbit in the headlights.

All that said we were excellent second half and everyone played their part to a degree.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:44 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Aside from that on first inspection their first goal looks totally Clarkes fault but as is mentioned in the match report Clarke tracked the run of the guy who cuts inside because no other lazy f*cker did, thus leaving the guy on the outside in acres of space and yet nobody else closed in on him either, caught between the devil and the deep blue sea really. I thought he had a decent game, he's far from perfect for sure but far more dependable on a regular basis than Williams who let's not forget was hooked off at half time in one game because he was getting run ragged and it sure as he'll wasn't against the best team in the division.
On 36, Clarke made the challenge of the evening when he slid in to dispossess Mavididi after the forward had again been played in by Ndidi with the earlier scorer otherwise in on goal inside the box.
Thanks for that...I was wondering where Clarke was. Regardless, someone should have been covering the right side of the penalty box at least. I did see the great tackle from Clarke on Mavididi, but if I remember correctly it was Clarke who lost possession (I could be wrong).

Clarke was my favourite defender when we were in League One. I think he crosses the ball well, and likes to attack. That may be one reason why we give up so much space on the right side when Burns and Clarke are in the team. With Burns and Clarke making surging runs, it makes us vulnerable for quick counter attacks.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:14 pm

Having just discovered you have to get to 32 League games before yellow cards are wiped clean I think we can safely say Morsy is stuffed lol.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:28 pm

:shock: The biggest shock last night for me was bringing on Jackson for the injured Hirst, I'm sorry but all Jackson has to offer is pointless running around like a headless chicken. That awful decision cost us dearly I thought we would at least see Broadhead or Freddie, but one thing for sure is we deffo need a striker like Jay Stansfield currently on loan at Brum from Fulham brought in we can't rely on Hirst as our main striker, plus we need a quality right back I lost count the number of times Clarke left their left side Mavididi with far too much space to work in, hence a goal came from that side, they saw how Leeds ripped us apart down the left flank and exposed Clarke's weakness of giving far to much room for forwards to run at him.
The 2nd half was much better especially when we brought on although far too late at 80 minutes, Hutchinson, Broadhead, Luongo, and Freddie, Morsy was able to eventually move forward more as he was covering for absent Taylor most of the match, hence his strike deflected goal came about. but Leicester should have had a stonewall penalty from Burgess's challenge in the penalty box on Dewsbury-Hall, and Harness was bloody lucky not to get a red card before being subbed and completely losing his head with a reckless challenge.

As for the Brandon Williams saga that only Mike seems to know about if it's true we need to ship him back to Utd ASAP, also move Jackson, and Freddie, out in the Jan window, and bring in another RB in our weakest position a CB as cover and another Striker or two, But with only £3 million on offer I can't see us getting much quality for that amount we might have to push that amount up a fair bit, will be a very interesting window to see who Kiearan brings in to strengthen the squad, as the 22 games run-in is certainly going to be a tough time and we don't want to make the same mistake like when Mick was in charge and make do with what we have on the books it cost us promotion to the premiership.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:45 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:28 pm
...we don't want to make the same mistake like when Mick was in charge and make do with what we have on the books it cost us promotion to the premiership.
I don't see that happening with our current owners. However, I'll be surprised if we spend much more than 3-mil. I expect to see a few loans coming in to be honest. I wonder if that 3-mil is allocated for transfer fees only and not for loan wages? I'm not sure how the FFP rules will come in to play.

Like you Ash, I was perplexed when Jackson came on for Hirst. I'm not sure what KM was thinking on that one. A little worrying for me was how ineffective Taylor was. He's scored some worldly goals, but he needs to improve his overall play and midfield duties. As many of us have stated, we need to address defensive and attacking needs. For me, the priority is another CB and with Hirst's injury another striker.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:54 pm

Ash, not saying anything regarding Williams is true but I get these snippets of info pushed my way so why not share them. What I will say though is it would explain the odd way Williams kept disappearing from the squad with suspect injuries only to return the next game before going awol again, something is definitely not right.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:55 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:45 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:28 pm
...we don't want to make the same mistake like when Mick was in charge and make do with what we have on the books it cost us promotion to the premiership.
I don't see that happening with our current owners. However, I'll be surprised if we spend much more than 3-mil. I expect to see a few loans coming in to be honest. I wonder if that 3-mil is allocated for transfer fees only and not for loan wages? I'm not sure how the FFP rules will come in to play.

Like you Ash, I was perplexed when Jackson came on for Hirst. I'm not sure what KM was thinking on that one. A little worrying for me was how ineffective Taylor was. He's scored some worldly goals, but he needs to improve his overall play and midfield duties. As many of us have stated, we need to address defensive and attacking needs. For me, the priority is another CB and with Hirst's injury another striker.
I've just written the QPR match day preview and I have mentioned my thoughts on Jackson coming on in it, quite bizarre.

lucy

Post by lucy » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Charnwood wrote:
lucy wrote:
I can't understand why if fit Brandon Williams isn't playing. I'd rather him than Clarke.

I tend to agree with you here Lucy although I have a feeling there’s something not 100% right with Brandon Williams and ITFC but I don’t know what it is. Unlike Mike I thought Harry Clarke looked poor last night and left us far too exposed down their left side which is where most of their threat was coming from. I think Brandon Williams reads the game much better than Harry but of course he is only a loanee.
I don't think Mckenna will be too eager to play anyone who's got problems with heavies turning up at the training ground demanding money from gambling debts back, not to mention the the Two bodyguards that have by all accounts been employed.

OK I didn't know that about Williams. Where did you learn that information?. Sounds vaguely familiar with what happened to Chopra when we paid his debt off.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:35 pm

Nothing to say the Williams rumours are anymore than just that, I think most of us have been wondering for some time what's up regarding Williams and clearly his chequered past adds fuel to the fire but let's be honest, a lot of these rumours are often crap, hopefully this is too.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Charnwood wrote:
lucy wrote:

That was indeed a fabulous challenge, Mike and he has that in his locker. Sadly, he also has the issue of making some mistakes that he has to then rectify. I am not sure why McKenna didn't address the issue of Mavididi being given too much space cos it seemed to be the case most of the game for me. If Burns was not tracking back then why can't McKenna see that? 🤷🏻‍♂️

As for Williams, I am afraid I feared issues with his character when he flew in for what I thought was a reckless challenge a couple of months ago but everyone told me I was wrong and that that was the sort of 'passion' we needed! I didn't see it as passion at the time, but danger. Clarke does actually show what I would see as passion for the club whereas Williams is more of a loose cannon for me - maybe I am being disingenuous about what I see as a character flaw in Williams but I can't help but be 'not surprised' if he does have such issues.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:53 pm

Had problems obtaining highlights therefore unable to view what occurred there last night but taking in game reports and fan reaction, things seem kind of mixed. One thing says we were fortunate to get a point whereas elsewhere it mentions the team were value for it or indeed could have won.

Way I see it it were imperative not to lose as we can't allow them to get further away from us at the very league top. Getting a point no matter how late when it occurred could make all the difference by final stage of the season. Norwich lost, Leeds lost, we got a draw with almost zero time remaining, you put in context those factors alone, there's reason for optimism when it could just as easily took a different path.

McKenna can't or won't change the requisite 4-2-3-1 formation while the opponents seem put three strikers in forward attack. They obviously came to us intent on winning and that they only took a point from it and we denied them real late on, has to damage their morale to some extent for future games. Maybe they won't give a sh*t, maybe it won't cause them nothing, but one last time it were essential they didn't win and we took something from it.

We taken 2 points from an available 9 in the last three fixtures, hell it were almost 1 if not for the own goal real late on. Whether you want to agree or disagree that's something of a disappointing return, people would hope for more regardless of the opposition played. Yeah yeah tough games and awkward opponents and all that but we didn't win any of them, got whipped by Leeds and very nearly took nothing from yesterday, only saved by one of the opposition players putting the ball into their own goal when time had just about expired. People can argue the rights and wrongs long and hard but really, that's the fact of the matter. Require viewing of game action when able to provide other judgment but good enough for now.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:58 pm

I would watch the 2nd half AP, you may just change your view.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:00 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:51 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

That was indeed a fabulous challenge, Mike and he has that in his locker. Sadly, he also has the issue of making some mistakes that he has to then rectify. I am not sure why McKenna didn't address the issue of Mavididi being given too much space cos it seemed to be the case most of the game for me. If Burns was not tracking back then why can't McKenna see that? 🤷🏻‍♂️

As for Williams, I am afraid I feared issues with his character when he flew in for what I thought was a reckless challenge a couple of months ago but everyone told me I was wrong and that that was the sort of 'passion' we needed! I didn't see it as passion at the time, but danger. Clarke does actually show what I would see as passion for the club whereas Williams is more of a loose cannon for me - maybe I am being disingenuous about what I see as a character flaw in Williams but I can't help but be 'not surprised' if he does have such issues.
I'm definitely in the minority with Clarke which is fine but I still stand by my view of him whilst at the game, deffo dodgy moments and deffo room for improvement but I also saw a fair few good things too and prior to the last Two games against Premier League players everyone was saying how well he'd been performing so attitudes do tend to change very quickly.

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:21 pm

A bit late to the party on this one. Firstly, a massive well done to all who played - yes there might be quality issues surrounding one or two, but to a man they turned in a chalk and cheese performance over the Leeds match, particularly second half. The point was hard won, but fully deserved, against a team playing PL football last season, and containing some real quality from back to front.

Big concern now is that a combination of injuries, suspension and international call ups - although also effecting other teams - might have a significant impact upon KM’s options, relative to the quality he has available. Transfer window looks increasingly critical.