Championship - Ipswich Town vs Queens Park Rangers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Finish 2023 with a win?

Town Win
92%
QPR Win
No votes
Draw
8%

Total votes: 12

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Ipswich Town vs Queens Park Rangers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:40 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Queens Park RangersImage

Friday 29th December 2023 – 19:45

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Bluemike

Many questions were being asked of Town following the drubbing at Leeds last weekend, could we bounce back, did we have the character for the fight, were we finally being found out and was the fall from grace now beginning, all questions that were being thrown around by all and sundry, what better test to answer those questions than a visit to Portman Road from champions elect Leicester City. I think it is fair to say that by the time the Referee blew the final whistle Town had answered everything asked of them in emphatic style.

For me the game itself was a cracker which I thoroughly enjoyed, with Leicester on top for a fair bit of the First half the last thing Town needed was to lose frontman George Hirst to a hamstring injury, with Hirst being pivotal to how we play it was an early blow which maybe for a time threw us off our stride a bit. I don't often have much to criticise McKenna for but man for me he got it totally wrong by bringing on wide man Kayden Jackson to lead the line instead of Freddie Ladapo, it made no sense and as I write this it still doesn't. With the best will in the world Jackson is no leader of the line, never has been and never will be, he has pace and that's about it really so the decision was baffling, although I still think despite the short cameo from Ladapo at the end he is being protected from injury as a move is on it's way.

Poor defending led to Leicester taking the lead mid way through the first half, we can speculate all we like as to who was to blame but collectively it was poor. having watched the game back I think we did a bit better than I originally thought in live play although Leicester definitely had the better of things.

The second half was to prove to be very different as Town looked very good indeed and took the game to their illustrious opponents. some of the pass and move Football we played at times was a joy to watch with Marcus Harness having a cracking second half, we may not have peppered their goal but town were coming forward at will and looking far more dangerous. chances fell to Burgess who's header should have been put away, Chaplin from distance who didn't quite get it right, Broadhead who seemed to fall over his own feet, Davis who's effort was superbly blocked and Ladapo who's shot was again charged down by some desperate defending, that is not to say that Leicester didn't have their moments too and they looked dangerous on the break but you try to recall Hladky making saves, I am pretty sure he didn't have to.

Town's equaliser when it did come was a mixture of sheer determination from our imperious skipper Sam Morsy and for once some lady luck as Morsy's shot following a surging run took a wicked deflection before looping over the keeper and in. The scenes were absolute carnage as the North Stand erupted and went wild, fans surging down to the front of the stand, strangers hugging each other as the jumped up and down, old and young alike just celebrating like we'd won the cup, it felt that good, hopefully the female steward that went flying in the rush is not too badly hurt although it didn;t look good as she was down for a fair while as she was attended to.

The point was the least we deserved and how nice is it to read the Leicester fans saying the same thing although they feel hard done by that the penalty claim was not awarded. That is now Eleven points accrued in December with One game still to come, a win against QPR at home on Friday would take that tally to Fourteen which considering it was looked upon as the month from hell would be some achievement, it would also mean we go into the new year with at least a Five point cushion over Third place and eight to Fourth, is there seriously any Town fan not happy with that scenario ? if there is they need to give their head a bit of a wobble.

So it's QPR that bring the curtain down on an incredible 2023, it's a game that Town will most definitely be looking at to produce another Three points and why not, while no game is easy the same can be said for any team coming to Portman Road, nobody relishes that, just ask Leicester City. QPR currently sit in the relegation zone Five points from safety and will be fighting for their lives, Town on the other hand will be c*ck-a-hoop and looking to get at them, a win would also see Town secure our first "double" of the season after Chaplin's strike gave us victory at Loftus Road back in August.

I struggle to see beyond a Town win in this one and hopefully for once we don't have to come from behind, that seems to be the norm these days, if we get our noses in front I still say we are going to batter someone soon, One day everything will click, it could be this game however I would take a single goal win no matter how it arrives, winning is all that matters at this time although we know Town boss Kieran McKenna will insist on it being done in some style. so it's a Town win for me and I am going for a nice 3-0 win to bring the year to a close and remind everyone in the promotion race that we aren't going anywhere. COYB'S

just want to say a very Happy New year to all you Town fans and lets hope 2024 proves to be every bit as exciting and successful as 2023 was, if it is you know where we could be heading !!!!!

The Opposition – Queens Park Rangers - Honours

League

First Division
Runners-up: 1975–76

Second Division / Championship
Champions: 1982–83, 2010–11
2nd place promotion: 1967–68, 1972–73
Play-off winners: 2014

Third Division / League One
Champions: 1947–48, 1966–67
2nd place promotion: 2003–04

Southern League
Champions: 1907–08, 1911–12

Western League
Champions: 1905–06

Cup

FA Cup
Runners-up: 1981–82

League Cup
Winners: 1966–67
Runners-up: 1985–86

FA Charity Shield
Runners-up: 1908, 1912

The Manager – Martí Cifuentes

League Table as at 27.12.2023

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

9 Dec Middlesbrough 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

12 Dec Watford 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

16 Dec Ipswich Town 2 - 2 Norwich City

23 Dec Leeds Utd 4 - 0 Ipswich Town

26 Dec Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Leicester City

Queens Park Rangers

9 Dec QP Rangers 2 - 0 Hull City

13 Dec QP Rangers 0 - 0 Plymouth

16 Dec Sheffield Wed 2 - 1 QP Rangers

23 Dec QP Rangers 0 - 1 Southampton

26 Dec Millwall 2 - 0 QP Rangers

Head to Head

Match Referee – David Webb

IPSWICH TOWN 2 QUEENS PARK RANGERS 0

shabba

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Queens Park Rangers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by shabba » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:02 pm

Got to get back to winning ways after no win in last three (albeit tough games).

Suspect Broadhead will return, the big question is who starts up front - I feel ladapo is the best option for a game like this - but seems his minutes have been very limited of late - possibly because he is being kept injury free to be sold in Jan.

Might also be a game or dip Williams in for, and I also suspect we might see Axel - usually got Wolfie - but I thought he had a v good game vs Leicester.

Midfield also interesting now Morsys out - will
It be ball who fills in or possible Masimo with Taylor?

So many questions!

number 9

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Queens Park Rangers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:14 pm

Very honest and balanced preview, thanks Mike! I too believe we will win this comfortably. Not sure about Morsy’s replacement. I don’t think Ball will get the call, and I think KM may well give Taylor another chance to excel against a lesser team. Ladapo should start, he’s still OUR player and we need him right now! Depth in squad certainly plays a part in promotion chasing squads. Let’s hope OUR depth shows up. COYB!!!!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:14 pm

And a game referee who scored a winning goal for Chelsea in a 1970's Cup Final. We have to win, it's essential after three games without not doing so. The team has dropped points, the need for victory is probably higher right now than other times of the season thus far.

It's kind of concerning the opposition don't seem up to much. They can't or don't score much, they're right down the other end of league placing and with a home advantage we should (in theory) roll right over them and rack up a big score. But it just doesn't work like that.

I'd approach the game with caution, allow them the respect they deserve and not expect too much out of it. If we play a steady game and each man we got plays to their strengths and individual attributes it should be enough. Don't know who Leeds and Soton are playing in their own games but we really got to focus on our own objectives with this. Really hope to win but sport is fickle at the top.

ITFC 2 QPR 0

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:17 pm

Nice preview…….. and yep, a lot happens in a year……. Been a long 2023. That “Gas” game feels like EONS ago, but only Feb this year. The management have been miraculous.

Thump QPR. Make QPR fan very grumpy.
3-0 ITFC. 👍👌

Caption:

Qpr boss: “Come on, kids. Trying to high 5 here. You’re all ignoring me ffs!”
Ref: “Lift your hand higher, Marti. They’ll still ignore you. Coz you’re sh*te.”

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:06 pm

Quality preview, covering all the bases and picking the bones expertly from our last two outings.

Notwithstanding GH and SM being unavailable, the boys should draw a huge confidence boost from the Leicester game; proving to us, and themselves, that there should be no thoughts of Imposter Syndrome. We deserve to be exactly where we are, and Tuesday’s second half performance was at least at Leicester’s standard, if not above.

So facing QPR, with belief and confidence intact, should see us to victory. We await KM’s starting eleven with great interest! He said earlier today that using the whole squad is inevitable; so we may see some unexpected appearances. FL to replace GH, though - surely a no-brainer? BW? - perhaps (ball and chain permitting)!

Caption: ‘Stay still lad and I’ll get that wee beastie on your heed’

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:27 pm

herforder wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:06 pm
Caption: ‘Stay still lad and I’ll get that wee beastie on your heed’
:lol: 👍👌

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:53 am

Looking like I'm missing this one due to having the Flu 😞 is it easy enough system buying the game for £10?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:19 am

I’ve gone for a Town win ( we SHOULD have too much for them if we have our shooting boots on). BUT we have at least two key players out and it’ll be a different set of qualities leading the attack . The team will therefore have to adapt. Morsy will be a massive miss in midfield , again Taylor bringing a different set of skills to the table.

Defence? I have no idea who will get the nod but I hope we can stop gifting goals down that right side- we do it practically every game. If it’s not driving McKenna mad, it certainly is me!

Score an early goal and I think we’ll win comfortably. Concede early and it’ll be a long evening against a team desperate for points.

Historically teams on a bad run used to end their bad run when they played us. Here’s hoping this doesn’t continue for QPR tonight.

COYBs

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:36 am

lucy wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:53 am
Looking like I'm missing this one due to having the Flu 😞 is it easy enough system buying the game for £10?
Hi Lucy, it’s easy to buy the game on Town TV, just follow the instructions. I assume as it’s not 3pm Saturday or on Sky etc you can watch without using a VPN.

I see Town have entered a Sponsorship deal with Nord VPN which could mean you’ll soon have special rates for Town fans.

Wishing you well soon Lucy and I know how you feel as we’ve just spent 10 days over Christmas in the UK and I’ve had a shocking cold/flu for 5 of them! At least this morning I’ve woken up in Spain, it’s not raining and the sun is shining.

Wow, I feel better already and can’t wait for tonight’s game.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:05 am

Town should win this game comfortably but as we all know teams fighting to stay in the division have a habit of digging in and making life very difficult. I watched Leicester City v Rotherham after our game at Leeds United and Rotherham made it really difficult for them. In fact it took an hour before Leicester scored their first goal but once they did the game opened up and they went on to win 3-0. I think our game this evening could run a similar pattern unless we can get an early goal which is I expect what our game plan will be, to score early. In fact I’m going for a 3-0 win.

I suspect we’ll see a few changes tonight given how soon this game is after Leicester on Boxing Day. McKenna could give Walton a run out tonight although I’d prefer he didn’t as I’m concerned it could impact Hladky’s confidence which he thrives on. If Williams is available he could start as could Axel Tuanzabe if only to give a rest to Clarke and or Woolfie. In midfield I hope to see Luongo and Taylor paired up and in my opinion Broadhead and Chaplin almost pick themselves and personally I’d find a space for Hutchinson to start plus one other which would probably be Freddie as the target man although at this level I just wonder if he has enough control.

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:18 am

lucy wrote:
Sorry to hear that the dreaded flu bug has struck, Lucy.😤. Hope you’re fit and well again very soon. Match is
definitely on Town TV - which is easy to access - as our Spanish correspondent has said! Tune in, watch us win, feel loads better!

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:47 am

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:36 am
lucy wrote:
Hi Lucy, it’s easy to buy the game on Town TV, just follow the instructions. I assume as it’s not 3pm Saturday or on Sky etc you can watch without using a VPN.

I see Town have entered a Sponsorship deal with Nord VPN which could mean you’ll soon have special rates for Town fans.

Wishing you well soon Lucy and I know how you feel as we’ve just spent 10 days over Christmas in the UK and I’ve had a shocking cold/flu for 5 of them! At least this morning I’ve woken up in Spain, it’s not raining and the sun is shining.

I felt fine Tuesday so I went to the Game and twisted my Knee cheering the Goal, woke up Yesterday Morning and I feel like I've been hit by a stray Football 🤣🤣
Last edited by lucy on Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:58 am

We’re you the fan in the SBR lower that went down in the gangway in front of the goal?

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:02 am

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:58 am
We’re you the fan in the SBR lower that went down in the gangway in front of the goal?
No I sit upstairs and stood up to cheer Goal. My foot slipped and my Knee twisted. So after the Game I'm sat there wondering how the heck I'm going to get up the Steps. Que 2 First Aiders having to come help me and I managed to hobble home 🤣

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:04 am

lucy wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:47 am
Charnwood wrote:
lucy wrote:

I felt fine Tuesday so I went to the Game and twisted my Knee cheering the Goal, woke up Yesterday Morning and I feel like I've been hit by a stray Football 🤣🤣
That's where Jackson's only shot went !!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:07 am

lucy wrote:
….and I feel like I've been hit by a stray Football 🤣🤣
There wasn’t a Hibs striker in the vicinity was there, Lucy?

Get well soon. 👌👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:08 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:04 am
lucy wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

:lol: you beat me to the gag! 👍

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:14 am

Match Pass purchased 😁

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:46 am

hallamblue wrote:
What happened to that Person? Were they OK?

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:04 am
lucy wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

Are you meaning the shot Jackson had as the ball rebounded to him from hitting back of the net from our goal Mike?

That was so funny, only few feet from the goal, the ball hit back of the net, rebounded out and Jackson tried kicking it back into the net but missed. Would hate to think anybody got hurt from his blunder shot hitting them

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:06 pm

Lmao, didn't see that, the carnage around me took priority I think.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:07 pm

lucy wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:46 am
hallamblue wrote:
If you're meaning the steward who was sent flying, no she was far from ok, wouldn't surprise me if it's a broken arm or collarbone tbh.

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:27 pm

I sit in Alf Ramsay stand I just re read what stand it happened in. How did the Steward get knocked flying?
Last edited by lucy on Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:28 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:07 pm
lucy wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:46 am
hallamblue wrote:
If you're meaning the steward who was sent flying, no she was far from ok, wouldn't surprise me if it's a broken arm or collarbone tbh.
It happened right near me. Tbh these idiots who charge down the front like that really f*** me off. Twice last season (Derby and Plymouth) at home it happened, nearly knocked me off my feet, and the lady next to me went flying. Actually took it up with the club and said before long somebody is going to get seriously hurt. Hopefully the steward is not too badly hurt but she looked in a real bad way after it happened.
Yes we all want to celebrate when we score but use common sense and don’t endanger people.

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:29 pm

I remember Peterborough away 2019 when we scored last minute and made it 2-2. Someone got knocked to ground and trampled on. I think they had nasty head injury.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:31 pm

Yes it can be dangerous, I got charged in the back at Norwich once, trouble was I was still in the seating aisle and nearly broke both my bloody ankles as they got stuck under the seat in front

lucy

Post by lucy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:31 pm
Yes it can be dangerous, I got charged in the back at Norwich once, trouble was I was still in the seating aisle and nearly broke both my bloody ankles as they got stuck under the seat in front
The Norwich playoff Game at our Place 2015. I got pushed from behind and nearly fell 2 Rows forward 🤣.

Back to the Game tonight I'm hoping we can get back to Business and get 3 Points. I've been slightly disappointed over the Xmas Period. I was hoping for 4 Points (Norwich 3, Leeds 1, Leicester 0)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:31 pm
Holy sh*t. :shock: Ouch. Could feel the pain reading that. That would’ve been a wheelchair job for a few months.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:07 pm

Type in “Ipswich v QPR live” into google search. Go to second option.
It says:
Ipswich Town will face QPR on December 30 , 2023 at 19:45 UTC at Allianz Stadium, Turin, Italy.

:lol: Hope you guys all managed to get flights booked in time.