Championship - Ipswich Town vs Queens Park Rangers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Finish 2023 with a win?

Town Win
92%
QPR Win
No votes
Draw
8%

Total votes: 12

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Queens Park Rangers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:47 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:39 pm
Ipswich Reserves 0- 0 QPR 1st team

Too many changes, and it showed. Disjointed, lacking in intensity and it shows the second string players are not good enough.

Sadly I suspect we’ll be out if the top two come the end of the Stoke game.

Nothing up front
Nothing in midfield
Nothing in defence

QPR made only 1 less change to their starting line up than us Liz. 6 to Town and 5 to Rangers.

What might have been different Liz was the quality of their 5 compared to the quality and importance of our missing players.

Blue Wilf

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Queens Park Rangers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:52 pm

Really poor all round tonight. How many times did we give the ball away? QPR were bang average but we havn't played that badly at home for 18 months or more. Boy, do we miss Morsy when he is not there. Just never felt we would get the job done from almost the moment I saw the team sheet! Dozzell is as poor for them as he was for us! All in all, a bad night except the Leeds result but they are no longer our biggest concern. Still, we are better placed than we all hoped for at the start of the season but the second 20 games are gonna be two or three times harder than the first 20. Keep the faith! 🤞👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:52 pm

I have a feeling there will be a number of clubs suffering heavy injuries after this latest schedule of games involving 4 fixtures over 10 days which is quite ridiculous and irresponsible. Hopefully the EFL will learn from this, but maybe not.

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:54 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:33 pm
That was about as painful as it gets, first half woeful with only Woolfy and Hladky free of criticism. The second half way better but still not our usual standard. The change was due to Humphreys, first half was afraid to get forward, second half he did it so well and everything went through him.

Tonight proves our strength in depth isn't strong enough, six players missing was too much to deal with, Morsy and Davis are massive for us, then to have Burns missing too was hard as for me Hutchinson was poor, his decision making and final ball were poor Tonight.

Personally I thought Williams was woeful, send him back as far as I'm concerned, I am a Ladapo fan but he's pretty much finished at Town I feel, Ball was ok 1st half but is no Morsy. I also felt Burgess was all over the shop Tonight. All in all a point has to be seen as a good result based on the team we had out.
I think that's a fair assessment Mike. I did think Harness was at least putting a shift in also

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:57 pm

Yes he did, tried hard all game.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:57 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:52 pm
Really poor all round tonight. How many times did we give the ball away? QPR were bang average but we havn't played that badly at home for 18 months or more. Boy, do we miss Morsy when he is not there. Just never felt we would get the job done from almost the moment I saw the team sheet! Dozzell is as poor for them as he was for us! All in all, a bad night except the Leeds result but they are no longer our biggest concern. Still, we are better placed than we all hoped for at the start of the season but the second 20 games are gonna be two or three times harder than the first 20. Keep the faith! 🤞👍
There wasn’t a single outfield player in a blue shirt tonight who wasn’t responsible for giving the ball away unnecessarily, it was so frustrating and a major factor for why we played so badly.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:00 am

So I'm ill with what's now Covid, I wasted Money to watch that and I feel very Weak. Happy New Year everyone :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:01 am

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:47 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:39 pm
Ipswich Reserves 0- 0 QPR 1st team

Too many changes, and it showed. Disjointed, lacking in intensity and it shows the second string players are not good enough.

Sadly I suspect we’ll be out if the top two come the end of the Stoke game.

Nothing up front
Nothing in midfield
Nothing in defence

QPR made only 1 less change to their starting line up than us Liz. 6 to Town and 5 to Rangers.

What might have been different Liz was the quality of their 5 compared to the quality and importance of our missing players.
When we end up playing a youngster like Humphries ( a midfielder), at left back, you know we have problems, and then bring in an Academy player to play up front . It’s a massive missed missed opportunity for me. If out first teamers are fit , play them

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:02 am

Steve wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:54 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:33 pm
That was about as painful as it gets, first half woeful with only Woolfy and Hladky free of criticism. The second half way better but still not our usual standard. The change was due to Humphreys, first half was afraid to get forward, second half he did it so well and everything went through him.

Tonight proves our strength in depth isn't strong enough, six players missing was too much to deal with, Morsy and Davis are massive for us, then to have Burns missing too was hard as for me Hutchinson was poor, his decision making and final ball were poor Tonight.

Personally I thought Williams was woeful, send him back as far as I'm concerned, I am a Ladapo fan but he's pretty much finished at Town I feel, Ball was ok 1st half but is no Morsy. I also felt Burgess was all over the shop Tonight. All in all a point has to be seen as a good result based on the team we had out.
I think that's a fair assessment Mike. I did think Harness was at least putting a shift in also

Yes he did put a good shift in but players who are great playing alongside key players were tonight being asked to be the key players and they weren’t really up to it. In short that was the problem. We were too many of our best players missing.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:07 am

Broadhead was throwing up in the dressing room. Id be amazed if many of the team dont also go down with this vomiting bug now , …. Burns was also ill with it,

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:08 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:07 am
Broadhead was throwing up in the dressing room. Id be amazed if many of the team dont also go down with this vomiting bug now , …. Burns was also ill with it,
That's how I started.... and I now have Covid

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:11 am

hallamblue wrote:
Broadhead was throwing up in the dressing room….
Hope my mother-in-law wasn’t there with her homemade sage & onion stuffing balls.

WarsawBlue

Post by WarsawBlue » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:14 am

That match showed that we don't really have the depth that some people talk about. I hope they're ready to do some serious business next month.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:29 am

WarsawBlue wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:14 am
That match showed that we don't really have the depth that some people talk about. I hope they're ready to do some serious business next month.
Compliments of the season and welcome to the forum.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:09 am

We’re hurting right now. A busy holiday period with lots of matches in a short period of time. Injuries are inevitable during this time. As much as I wanted our backups to step up, it’s a tall task when they haven’t been starting regularly. Let’s not be too hard on the replacements. I’m sure they want to do their best to help our promotion push.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:22 am

lucy wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:08 am
hallamblue wrote:
What were you doing in the dressing room?

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:17 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:22 am
lucy wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:08 am
hallamblue wrote:
What were you doing in the dressing room?
:lol: Didn't you know I'm the new Club Physio, how I'd like to get my hands on some of them 😉

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:48 pm

So would I and it wouldn’t be their knee!

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:23 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:48 pm
So would I and it wouldn’t be their knee!
😉😉😉 Exactly, Harry Clarke first stop then Burns 🤣

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:12 pm

Just watched Alex Griffins "ITFC v QPR" match video. Seems like Ipswich lost the game. :shock: Thank the sweet mother o Jaysus VAR was not available. First half, QPR corner, ball comes over, hits far post......, Hanky punches ball and his punching fist lands well behind the goal line....., QPR forward run away celebrating. That MUST'VE been over the line. Wasn't mentioned on here. Only going by Hankys positioning ---->> all points to scooping the ball back out from goal. Huge rub of the green there.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:54 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:12 pm
Just watched Alex Griffins "ITFC v QPR" match video. Seems like Ipswich lost the game. :shock: Thank the sweet mother o Jaysus VAR was not available. First half, QPR corner, ball comes over, hits far post......, Hanky punches ball and his punching fist lands well behind the goal line....., QPR forward run away celebrating. That MUST'VE been over the line. Wasn't mentioned on here. Only going by Hankys positioning ---->> all points to scooping the ball back out from goal. Huge rub of the green there.
I love his Channel. I've met him he's a nice Guy.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:00 pm

lucy wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:54 pm
marko69 wrote:
Haha, really? That is great. I watch his 20 minute videos for all the games. He is very entertaining.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:21 pm

If KM’s forced to play a similar team v Stoke, they will at least have had a 90+ mins training session under their belts!

KM’s post match comments laid it out accurately. For us supporters, with an unimaginably fabulous year behind us, expectations are inevitably high; when blips in the road come along, the sense of deflation is felt more keenly than when we were averagely cr@p. But we’re still sitting 2nd in the C’ship, and with half a season to come, there’s no reason why won’t get through the blip and go again. Hopefully boosted by a couple of quality inbound new faces. We may need to move a couple on to create the headroom for new arrivals, due to FFP rules (grrrrrrr)!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:14 pm

marko69 wrote:
Hate quoting myself, and normally I'd just go delete the above post......, but Lucy quoted it talking about Alex Griffin.

Since saw another very good angle. Ball was no where close to being over the line. And that'll be why it wasn't mentioned on here. A non event entirely.

But ......, it did get a mention for Alex Griffin. :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:21 pm

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:35 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:00 pm
lucy wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:54 pm
marko69 wrote:
Haha, really? That is great. I watch his 20 minute videos for all the games. He is very entertaining.
Yeah I met him at the Ground after a Game when I was sitting in the SBR Stand but then I moved to SAR this Season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:07 pm

I meant to say ( to acknowledge really), I thought Woolfie played a good game last night.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:27 pm

I'd just like to say R.I.P to the Lady who sadly died at the Game last night 😩

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:28 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:07 pm
I meant to say ( to acknowledge really), I thought Woolfie played a good game last night.
Yep, was our best player, along with Humphreys (second half) and Hladky who did nothing wrong.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:30 pm

They might be in with a chance of starting on Monday, then!